Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

This is a good leak; people must complain about this in droves so Nintendo can realize how BS it is or at least prove this link false.

Not entirely sure why this leak is bad. You've got two killer apps on there, some neat exclusives, ports with enhanced content and some niche releases for the casual crowd. It could be better, but it'd be a fair balance which is par for the course when trying to build a launch line-up, and it's certainly one much better than the 3DS.

EDIT: List is fake.

• Thumbs Up 2

A rumor, some bad news, even worse news, and boring stuff

The rumor is that the final dev-kits for the Wii-U are in the hands of developers.

Bad news, The Unreal Engine 4 may not be on Wii-U

http://gamasutra.com...tim_.php?page=3

We’re hoping the Wii U will run Unreal Engine 4. Tim Sweeney of Epic Games, however, has said that they’re “aiming very high” and “the intended platforms this is aimed at haven’t even been announced”. Now, obviously, the Wii U has been announced, which means Unreal Engine 4 isn’t one of these intended platforms. It doesn’t mean it won’t happen at all. The support for the Wii U may have been more of an after-thought. But it’s a layer of ambivalence that’s probably going to hang in the air until E3 2012 rolls around.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Iwata won't promise an overwhelmingly rich Launch line-up, but says it has several proposals

http://www.nintendol..._launch_line_up

The company now has to develop software for the Nintendo 3DS, has to prepare for the Wii U launch and has to finalize the hardware functionalities. With these circumstances in mind, if I said that an overwhelmingly rich software lineup would be prepared from day one, it would be too much of a promise to make. On the other hand, we are making efforts so that we will be able to make several proposals even from the launch period that can eventually become evergreen titles for the Wii U.

A.K.A. The launch line-up may or may not be good. But at least it will be better then the 3DS dry.png

WiiUSports_launchgames.jpg

Wii-U sports anyone?

And finally, the Patents for the Wii-U stylus and Power Brick

Wii-U-Stylus.jpg

Wii-U-Power-Brick.jpg

Edited by Nintendoga

Ugh... It really is starting to look like the Wii U is going to only be as powerful as or just slightly more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3. It's going to be the Wii all over again. I know power and graphics aren't everything, and I'm sure there will be some fun games made for it, but I'd like Nintendo to keep up wth technology with their home consoles. If the PS4 and the next Xbox significantly surpass the Wii U in terms of power, then Nintendo may miss out on a lot of quality and high selling third party titles again.

Ugh... It really is starting to look like the Wii U is going to only be as powerful as or just slightly more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3. It's going to be the Wii all over again. I know power and graphics aren't everything, and I'm sure there will be some fun games made for it, but I'd like Nintendo to go keep up wth technology with their home consoles. If the PS4 and the next Xbox significantly surpass the Wii U in terms of power, then Nintendo may miss out on a lot of quality and high selling third party titles again.

dat innovation maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh... It really is starting to look like the Wii U is going to only be as powerful as or just slightly more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3. It's going to be the Wii all over again. I know power and graphics aren't everything, and I'm sure there will be some fun games made for it, but I'd like Nintendo to keep up wth technology with their home consoles. If the PS4 and the next Xbox significantly surpass the Wii U in terms of power, then Nintendo may miss out on a lot of quality and high selling third party titles again.

It's really unknown just how powerful it really is now.

Some devs say it's slightly, some say more than %50, others say it's unbelievable how powerful it is.

My real problem however, is how much more powerful are the other consoles going to be? Cause if it's going to be the Wii all over again then I'm going to be severely disappointed.

How much more powerful would the other consoles be? Not much, unless Sony and MS want to make their consoles ludicrously expensive.

That's the thing. We have to wait and see how this generation goes before wringing our hands. It's very likely that there won't be a huge technical leap like there was before, in fact it's been reported that it's likely./

How much more powerful would the other consoles be? Not much, unless Sony and MS want to make their consoles ludicrously expensive.

We need more zombies/enemies/tanks/explosions/guns/buildings/cars/whatever else you can think of on the screen at one time without that frame-rate dropping.

Seriously though that was my only "problem" with some games this generation, that's about it really.

That's likely what we'll get, actually. I certainly would like stable frame rates.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty much. The WiiU and MS and Sony's eventual next-gen consoles likely won't be very much better than this generation in the visuals department, instead likely offering full HD at 60 FPS.

IMO, the only way there would be a real jump in visual quality between this gen and the next would be if Unlimited Detail proves to be a real thing, but that obviously remains to be seen, and it would put every console on an even footing. Who knows, really. Would be bloody fantastic, though.

A GAFer has corroborated a member at NintendoWorldReport claiming that Epic is running Unreal Engine 3 and 4 on Wii U. When (obviously) questioned by fellow GAFers, he claims that this info was discussed between the both of them and that he's wary of compromising his "super duper reliable source", and that he staked a bet of a banning if it weren't true.

Either way, both claim that Wii U is going to blow people's minds at E3. This should prove to be interesting.

EDIT: I should perhaps mention, the guy corroborating the NWG poster is the same one who spun a rumor mill that Nintendo tweaked the Wii U specs specifically so Unreal Engine 4 could work on it in some capacity.

• Thumbs Up 3

And the price?

I am not being an asshole. Has Nintendo said anything about releasing the price of the system?

A GAFer has corroborated a member at NintendoWorldReport claiming that Epic is running Unreal Engine 3 and 4 on Wii U. When (obviously) questioned by fellow GAFers, he claims that this info was discussed between the both of them and that he's wary of compromising his "super duper reliable source", and that he staked a bet of a banning if it weren't true.

Either way, both claim that Wii U is going to blow people's minds at E3. This should prove to be interesting.

EDIT: I should perhaps mention, the guy corroborating the NWG poster is the same one who spun a rumor mill that Nintendo tweaked the Wii U specs specifically so Unreal Engine 4 could work on it in some capacity.

VERY interesting. If this is true, then Nintendo really is serious about accommodating third parties. Apparently, the WiiU hardware is designed to allow devs to easily port their games, especially from the PC and 360, as shown by how the guys developing Darksiders 2 ported that game in just a few weeks.

A lot of things can happen at E3. I can't wait.

And the price?

I am not being an asshole. Has Nintendo said anything about releasing the price of the system?

Iwata said he was aiming near the Wii's price, and that it won't be too expensive. So $300-$400 is the generally assumed

Iwata said he was aiming near the Wii's price, and that it won't be too expensive. So $300-$400 is the generally assumed

$300-$400? Eh....Yeah I could see that working. I mean the tablet.....correction controller must cost at least $60-$80 by itself. But I'll keep my mouth shut til I see how much power (visually) the WII U has. E3 you better not let me down.

$300-$400? Eh....Yeah I could see that working. I mean the tablet.....correction controller must cost at least $60-$80 by itself. But I'll keep my mouth shut til I see how much power (visually) the WII U has. E3 you better not let me down.

Though to be fair, if the console only accepts play with one tablet, it's not like you're going to need another unless something happens to the one you've got.

Though to be fair, if the console only accepts play with one tablet, it's not like you're going to need another unless something happens to the one you've got.

I thought only one tablet worked with the prototypes during E3 last year and Nintendo said 2 work on it now?

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought only one tablet worked with the prototypes during E3 last year and Nintendo said 2 work on it now?

Oh, is that the case? I probably read over that or something, for the longest time I was under the impression that only one would work. You're probably right.

Oh, is that the case? I probably read over that or something, for the longest time I was under the impression that only one would work. You're probably right.

Maybe you were under that impression because Nintendo hasn't given us any solid concrete information on the system since it's reveal last year. If I knew more about the Wii-U, maybe I'd be more hyped, but now all I really know is that it's a big white thing that comes with an ipad that has buttons on it.

tbh and to add onto what Mike said, they haven't officially released anything yet so I'm a bit skeptical myself

Edited by LunarEdge

Number of tablets supported will be a moving target until the specs are set in stone. It's gonna be dependent on the system hardware, the upad's resolution and speed transfers between both.

i mean, they can support four or more easily as long as the screens are off, but for that you might as well get a (cheaper) controller.