Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Ah, this one... There seems to be a LOT of confusion surrounding this one, I believe.

Unreal Engine 4 to not support Wii U, says Keighley

http://www.vg247.com...-says-keighley/

Not that surprising if true. Wii U is pretty much looking to be a PS3 on steroids when it comes to specs, and nothing more. Epic have pretty high expectations for UE4 to run in any capacity, and even then, it's not something Nintendo desperately need.

That said, if UE4 on Wii U would be a surprise reveal I don't think even Keighley would know about it. His comment only mentions that Mike Capps confirmed UE3 at GDC where no comment actually exists on-the-record that outright said "no, UE4 won't be on Wii U". The engine has no visible commercial release on anything with not a single platform confirmed so it wouldn't make sense to confirm one platform in the midst of whatever when they pretty much just announced it.

If Keighley actually knew anything about it, I don't think he'd make a shabby response like that.

Yeah, I'm thinking Keighley doesn't know shit. Capps only confirmed UE3, nothing about UE4.

Besides, UE4 would have to do something truly impressive/unique in order to actually stand out from CE3, which is probably, visuals-wise, the best engine yet.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

I just saw screens of a UE4 demonstration. It's... Not terribly exciting, really. Just stuff that CE3 already does, for the most part.

Just saw some, too.

This:

screenshot_283093.jpg

Looks like complete shit.

http://www.computera...reens-released/

The only good looking picture is the first one..

Edit: These pictures look better:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/348153/unreal-engine-4-hi-res-screens-are-far-more-impressive/

But I still don't think it's all too special. I like all the small particles.

Edited by MarcelloF

I think that what looks even shitter than those are the wildly unattainable tech demos which Epic traditionally shows us.

"Look what our graphics engine can do! You'll never see these visuals in a game, but who cares, PRETTY GRAFIX!"

I'd rather have the tech demo give a realistic impression of what we'll see in games than set the bar, and expectations, unreasonably high.

And once again, CE3 does that shit already.

If CE3 had some of its editor issues fixed, Unreal Engine would basically be redundant, I think, now that CE3 can be downloaded for free. I mean, a mere skim through the newsposts of crydev.net reveals some fantastic demonstrations of what the engine can do in the hands of skilled artists, such as this mountain lake scene, Civetas Pinetum, and a jaw-dropping replication of the Titantic that could be mistaken for real-life footage at times if you're not looking closely. Mother of God. Amazing stuff.

That being said, I think a true revolution in graphics will only happen, as far as I see, if Unlimited Detail turns out to be something substantial. And before Tornado decides to say "voxels are ten years away" again, the key word is if. But if it does turn out to be real and viable, it could be a huge boon for the improvement of gaming visuals in general, not just with model geometry - laser-scanning real-world objects to reduce time and costs, rendering costs on the GPU are reduced to incredibly small levels allowing for much more room for physics, lighting, fluid dynamics, etc... And Nintendo would be in the best position to benefit.

And if Bruce Dell keeps his word, hopefully we'll see more of that tech in a few months, or around the end of the year. Unless Euclideon spontaneously turns up at E3. Unlikely, I think, but it would be a shocker.

Edit: Aaaannnnddd I see Tornado viewing the topic, after I make my post. Speak of the devil. :P

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Unreal 4 is designed to be scale-able, so I'd be pretty surprised if the "UE4 cannot run of WiiU" news turned out to be 100% accurate, and not just a misinterpretation of, "doesn't handle X amount of Unreal 4 features."

Considering the Wii U is apparently using more 'modern' hardware features that are in 'standard' with HD gaming, I imagine UE4 won't be an issue. If CryEngine 3 can apparently run on WiiU at the equivalent of high-level PC settings...

If CryEngine 3 can apparently run on WiiU at the equivalent of high-level PC settings...

Nintendoga must've gotten the info that he posted on page 50 from somewhere. Someone needs to bug him about where he got it.

No worries, I always have my source available and ready. What info are you guys talking about again?

Edit: Oh jeebies, I know what you guys are talking about. Apparently that was a from a supposed "beta tester" that Crytek had done this. They're not working on a Wii-U game that's for sure, but the Crysis 3 running on Wii-U on highest PC settings is unknown right now.

Should've put that it was a rumor back then, my bad.

Edited by Nintendoga

Nintendo of America has teased Nintendo's 1st party games that will be available at Wii-U's launch.

http://www.facebook.com/WiiU

Guess what the initial game releases will be for Nintendo’s new home console, Wii U? Soon we’ll scratch off to reveal the names! ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒.

Obviously two of them are Super Mario Bros. Mii and Pikmin 3, as confirmed by Nintendo already. But what's the third one?

Yo, my Starfox hopes are seriously rising here. Retro Studios gonna show something, and I'm gonna be there with my wallet waiting.

Also hey, they're not making the 3DS mistake with no 1st party titles at launch!

EDIT: inb4 Wii-U sports

Edited by Nintendoga

Nintendo of America has teased Nintendo's 1st party games that will be available at Wii-U's launch.

http://www.facebook.com/WiiU

Obviously two of them are Super Mario Bros. Mii and Pikmin 3, as confirmed by Nintendo already. But what's the third one?

Yo, my Starfox hopes are seriously rising here. Retro Studios gonna show something, and I'm gonna be there with my wallet waiting.

Also hey, they're not making the 3DS mistake with no 1st party titles at launch!

EDIT: inb4 Wii-U sports

It doesn't say that they're first party titles, it just says "the initial game releases". Also, I know they weren't exciting games, but the 3DS did have first party titles at launch.

The longest one would easily fit Killer Freaks From Outer Space.

Isn't Killer Freaks a Ubisoft game? I thought we were talking about first parties here. huh.png

It doesn't say that they're first party titles, it just says "the initial game releases". Also, I know they weren't exciting games, but the 3DS did have first party titles at launch.

Well since Nintendo is the one revealing these games, it would make sense for them to show off 1st party games, not other company games.

3DS's launch had no AAA titles though, and I hope the Wii-U's got that fixed.

Isn't Killer Freaks a Ubisoft game? I thought we were talking about first parties here. huh.png

As I pointed out, the Facebook post doesn't say whether these titles are first party or third party.

3DS's launch had no AAA titles though, and I hope the Wii-U's got that fixed.

Me too.

Well Nintendo has officially reached Stalker status.

Nintendo has sent out voicemails to journalists that asks them creepily

"Have you heard about Wii-U?"

"If not, you will." *Hang-up*

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1do6PVr4CI&feature=player_embedded

Nintendo's hyping up their E3, Bungie style.

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well Nintendo has officially reached Stalker status.

Nintendo has sent out voicemails to journalists that asks them creepily

"Have you heard about Wii-U?"

"If not, you will." *Hang-up*

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1do6PVr4CI&feature=player_embedded

Nintendo's hyping up their E3, Bungie style.

Fantastic.

Nintendo means serious buisness.