Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Nintendo: Officially not good at naming its consoles.

Well, that's what the last 53 pages of discussion have taught me, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be fair, the DS series hat the DS, the DS lite, the DSi and the DSi XL, while the Wii series just had one Wii with different colors (and one without gamecube support, but it still had the same name), so I don't think people will mistake it that easily.

Already happened. People have been expressing confusion about whether the Wii U is a variation of the Wii since E3 last year. The fact that they talked about almost nothing but the controller didn't help.

Also, I'm squinting, but I can't really make out the differences in the logo. Am I blind, or is this just Nintendo hyping up no news as lazily as possible?

The coloration of the U is a slightly darker shade of blue, and the lettering is a bit fatter, but for all intents and purposes it is identical.

Also, I'm squinting, but I can't really make out the differences in the logo. Am I blind, or is this just Nintendo hyping up no news as lazily as possible?

Are you blind? Or stupid? Or both? The differences are huge! The blue is very slightly darker now!! Geez!

There is literally no difference except the second one is slightly up-scaled with more contrast. The "logo change" isn't even one Nintendo mentioned, only the news site.

• Thumbs Up 3

There is literally no difference except the second one is slightly up-scaled with more contrast. The "logo change" isn't even one Nintendo mentioned, only the news site.

Upscaled and jaggier. Also the left side of the W has a graphical glitch.

What could this be implying???

• Thumbs Up 3

Can't wait for casuals to mistake the Wii-u for the Wii just like many people still do with the DS/3DS.

Great name Nintendo!

Everyone I know still mistake the 3DS for the gameboy

Edited by Cero
  • Thumbs Up 8

But Nintendo must not have learned there lesson. I mean for pete's sake they even remodled the Wii to look like the Wii-U. What company models their console to look just like the next god damn console.

When did this happen? All they've done to my knowledge is make a model that has the Wii logo sideways and can't play Gamecube games.

Edited by Ekaje

Yeah, there is no Wii with Wii U design. Don't know where Nintendoga got that idea.

Wiis3.jpg

The one in the middle is the new wii, made to be horizontal. The bottom is the Wii-U. Obviously us gamers can tell the difference between them, but the real question is, will they?

10841-71341-t1i3247jpg-550x.jpg

I was just thinking about what kind of games might be announced by Nintendo at this year's E3, and I wonder if even with the apparent NSMB Wii U title there might still be a true 3D Mario game set to be revealed. It wouldn't be the first time Nintendo announced two console Mario games at the same showing.

Nintendo's 2009 E3 conference featured the reveal of both New Super Mario Bros Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Same year we got Metroid Other M's announcement trailer. *Crosses fingers for Metroid Prime 4*

I'd consider Metroid anything at this point to be a shocking (but awesome) surprise...After Other M I can't shake the feeling that Nintendo intends to shelve Metroid for the forseeable future, if not permanent retirement...

Didn't they say they make a statement a while ago that said they knew that some things went wrong with Other M? That to me makes it clear that they saw that the problem was with Other M itself, not because people weren't interested in Metroid anymore or something. I don't expect one to be announced this E3, but I also don't expect the franchise to have as long a period for it's next game as there was between Super and Prime/Fusion.

Edited by Ekaje

They'll probably make an HD collection of the classic games.

Which I'm totally okay with.

Edited by Solkia-kun

Metroid 5 god damn it, that's all I want!

If such a game takes place after the events of Metroid Fusion, then I'd be totally okay with it!

I expect Nintendo to play it safe for a while. I don't think they're used to having their games criticized.

• Thumbs Up 3

If such a game takes place after the events of Metroid Fusion, then I'd be totally okay with it!

Metroid V has to take place after Fusion. Anything else is not V.

I expect Nintendo to play it safe for a while. I don't think they're used to having their games criticized.

Yeah, Nintendo does not take criticism too well, but I expect them to try and take another shot with Metroid, though I'm afraid they'll try to play safe by keeping it as an FPS. I mean, the only reason they did Other:M at they did was to win over Japanese Nintendo fans, but now that, that plan failed they'll be taking the safe train with the next Metroid. That's my expectation at least.

Here's some more things, apparently this is some of the features that are in the final version of the Devkits for the Wii-U

http://www.zeldainfo..._medium=twitter

Video Chat is available, but must be from the main menu of the system (not while playing a game).

Voice Commands are available (similar to this rumor we heard about the 3DS maybe?)

Facial Recognition (similar to features of the Xbox Kinect)

Ability to suspend games, similar to 3DS.

Ability to share achievements with friends by sending videos or screenshots with drawings on them.

Watch a friend play online

Multitasking (example: keep a text or video walkthrough open from ZI while playing the game, swap back and forth as needed)

The thing that really interests me, is watching a friend play online. I've always been uncertain about getting a game, so if a friend has it, I can watch him play some of the game so I can see if I'm interested or not. Or maybe someone who needs help on a game can enlist someone else to watch them and tell them what to do. Or hell, even do a let's play or some shit

Oh and sharing Achievements sounds stupid and takes away from the point of them, and multitasking/suspending sounds cool.

I'm really liking this though anyway. Most of these have been confirmed by Nintendo to be true.

Oh, and here's the direct comparison for the Wii-U controllers,

Wii-U-Controller-Comparison-1.jpeg

There's a back and front comparison in the spoiler below

Wii-U-Controller-Comparison-2.jpeg

Wii-U-Controller-Comparison-3.jpeg

Edited by Nintendoga

Facial Recognition (similar to features of the Xbox Kinect)

3DS does that too but, so far it's only been in Nintendogs+cats. The animals recognize the face of their owner through the front camera, and react differently to a stranger playing depending on temperament.

All of that sounds pretty cool, but I do wonder why Voice Chat isn't available to use in-game...

You read that wrong, it's VIDEO CHAT that isn't available in game. Which is something you wouldn't want in game anyway.

How does sending a friend a screenshot of something you've just achieved in a game take away from the accomplishment? I'd think it would enhance it - 'Look what I can do!' or even, 'I finally beat it!'

Suspending games on the 3DS is wonderful, although I'm not sure how much I'd use a feature like that on a console. Of course, on a console I'm guaranteed to be within range of the internet if I get stuck on something in a game.