Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

So didn't fix YouTube then?

Urghhhh, entire update is pointless now.

It fixed it for me just fine. 

So are the accounts still tied to the console? Planning on getting one soon and would love to have accounts for both me and my partner

"Wii U is doooomed! Gonna bomb this holiday season!"

*watches Nintendo direct

ha

*watches Nintendo direct

ha

more like a hearty, Eggman, MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

*watches Nintendo direct

ha

... They delayed one of their flagships and didn't show off any new games.

I mean they showed some cool stuff, yeah, but it's still the same games. People who didn't care before won't care now. This wasn't a game-changer.

Stars of the show for me were Kirby, AA5, and Smash. Don't care about anything else other than Donkey Kong, which I can wait for.

The holiday is incredibly full - am I the only one that is happy that we have a game to enjoy at the start of 2014?

Watch Dogs
Assassin's Creed IV
Call of Duty Ghosts

Pikmin 3 DLC

Mario 3D World

Sonic Lost World

Wii Party U

Wii Fit U

Mario & Sonic

Zelda: Wind Waker HD

Current Library

Rayman
ZombiU

Lego City

Game & Wario

Pikmin 3

Wonderful101

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

New Super Mario Bros U

New Super Luigi U

+

$50 Price Cut

No room for Donkey Kong.

What do I have to enjoy in 2014?

...DONKEY KONG!

There's also the fact that people might buy the system alone for 2014 releases like Smash Bros and Mario Kart. A $299.99 console for your kid that has games like Mario, Rayman, and Sonic while also having games like Call of Duty, Watch Dogs, and Assassin's Creeds seems like a no brainer. Especially with the fact the console comes with a free game.

...DONKEY KONG!

Year of Donkey Kong plz and ty

• Thumbs Up 1

WIi U doomed? I highly doubt it with the content its getting. Plus Mario Kart 8 is just around the corner once the Holiday is done.

• Thumbs Up 2

The holiday is incredibly full - am I the only one that is happy that we have a game to enjoy at the start of 2014?

Watch Dogs

Assassin's Creed IV

Call of Duty Ghosts

Pikmin 3 DLC

Mario 3D World

Sonic Lost World

Wii Party U

Wii Fit U

Mario & Sonic

Current Library

Rayman

ZombiU

Lego City

Game & Wario

Pikmin 3

Wonderful101

New Super Mario Bros U

New Super Luigi U

+

$50 Price Cut

No room for Donkey Kong.

...DONKEY KONG!

There's also the fact that people might buy the system alone for 2014 releases like Smash Bros and Mario Kart. A $299.99 console for your kid that has games like Mario, Rayman, and Sonic while also having games like Call of Duty, Watch Dogs, and Assassin's Creeds seems like a no brainer. Especially with the fact the console comes with a free game.

... Okay? What does any of that have to do with this Direct?

It's the same argument we've been having for ages, with the exact same games we've been talking about for weeks. Only this time Donkey Kong is coming even later than expected. I don't really care to argue the same points we've been over for months, especially when the only new information is that Donkey Kong won't be here this holiday.

Edited by Discoid

... Okay? What does any of that have to do with this Direct?

This is the Wii U thread. Not the Nintendo Direct thread.

The direct today was quite nice especially Satoru singing even though the delay on Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze did hurt but if it means less bugs in the game, then I'm all for the hairy gorilla being released early next year.

Watch Dogs
Assassin's Creed IV
Call of Duty Ghosts

Pikmin 3 DLC

Mario 3D World

Sonic Lost World

Wii Party U

Wii Fit U

Mario & Sonic

Current Library

Rayman
ZombiU

Lego City

Game & Wario

Pikmin 3

Wonderful101

New Super Mario Bros U

New Super Luigi U

+

$50 Price Cut

No room for Donkey Kong.

...DONKEY KONG!

The lineup seems okay especially if someone is into platformers but compared to the other consoles (handhelds aside), it has less games. However many people will still shrug regarding the Wii U and will go for the PS4, Xbox One or if they are on a tight budget then a PS3 or 360 or even a used Wii even though quite a lot of people already own them 3 consoles. At the moment, even with the bundles it shows not much value for money for the consumer due to not much interesting games. Some might not even bother with a console and just get them a tablet or a phone. In terms of Call of Duty, while there is a small fan base on the Wii U the people who are fans of the series will be buying the 360, PS3, Xbone or the PS4 versions. Since it seems to be COD = 360, most of the sales will go to that version, the people who would buy it for the Wii U are Wii U owners anyway. Plus there is a high chance that there wouldn't be any DLC unlike the others. Looking at any sales chart of multiplatform games shows that either the PS3 or the 360 being the most popular version while the Wii U version is lucky to get 1% of the share (Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Need for Speed Most Wanted are above 1%), the only exceptions so far have been Rayman Legends where rightfully so sold the most on the Wii U and apparently Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed in the US.

Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed 4 are targetted to be in between the PS3/360 version and the PS4/Xbone version in terms of graphic quality. Whether it will be remains to be seen. Then again AC4 has more stuff on the PlayStation formats so if people want the "best and complete" version of the game, they would buy the PS4 version that is also advertised with remote play with the Vita (yes, Wii U with the Gamepad and off TV play is there but it wouldn't been advertised as such).

It is still missing a FIFA game and a Madden game in the US for the console to register towards the non-Nintendo audience and that is basic level. Let's have a nice scenario, someone got a Wii U for Christmas and they like football (either one) apart from the launch titles, he/she will be very disappointed that there aren't any new ones and goes back to the older console to play football games. There isn't even an alternative like PES (not sure if there are any alternatives to American football) on the system. For a person who occassionally play games; they know the big ones are COD, FIFA/Madden, Need for Speed, Battlefield and GTA. For the younger players it is Mario, Pokemon, Candy Crush Saga and Angry Birds. The Wii U only has COD and Angry Birds out of the big ones and not everyone is into Mario, plus Pokemon isn't on consoles apart from a few spinoffs otherwise it would really help with the kids. Even with the squad updates of FIFA 14 on the Vita, Wii and even the old PSP that has nearly died, it managed to sell decently. Also regarding free games both the new consoles and the current ones have game bundles as well, in fact most consoles that have ever existed had game bundles.

The Wii U will end up being a 3rd placer [or even 5th place if the current two still sell into the end of the Wii U's life] just like the Gamecube was but still will be higher than Microsoft's consoles in Japan, Nintendo really need to do something and really do something if they want to attract more than just the Nintendo faithful, even if Nintendo managed to get every Japanese developer and make it a niche device like the Vita. This is the same argument that has been going around for months since the start of the year pretty much. In a good way at least there is some passion for the console and there are many people who do like their Wii U (including myself), just needs more games to get their moneys worth that's all.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is the Wii U thread. Not the Nintendo Direct thread.

Not my point - 

*watches Nintendo direct

ha

I was calling this into question. You're clearly asserting that the Direct somehow proves something. I'm saying it doesn't.

All stuff we knew was coming out except now it looks much more impressive but no Donkey Kong so we're kinda back to where we started when it comes to Fall. 

I would say anyone who says the Wii U is doomed is being an ass, but I can't say that the Wii U is going to be the runaway success that the Wii was. What this Direct did was at least show us that NIntendo is making sure the people that do own a Wii U will have plenty quality stuff to play.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Wait....who even said the Wii U is doomed? Scanned the last couple pages, and nobody said anything to that effect.

Any last minute advice before I go buy the system likely later today?

Make sure you have a fair bit of time to spare when you first boot it up - there's a looooooong update before you can properly get going.

Also, assuming the problem still persists from launch day, don't turn off the power during the update. You might brick your system.

Aside from that though, my only advice is... enjoy! The Wii U is one damn fine piece of kit, it's just a little under appreciated and very poorly marketed at the moment.

I'll fire it up later in the night, since I have a download limit to worry about then and just leave it on for awhile after that. Downloading updates normally takes a long time on my connection.

Get the Zelda bundle!

Apart from installing the large update and setting up the console, there are a couple of things:

Before you play any game, you would have to download updates towards games (the console even detects the version of game without any Internet connection from my experience, if you have download limits it might affect patches) that can take some time depending on which game. You can try to force to play the game without the update but it isn't recommended.

The Gamepad is a bit of a battery eater since charging takes about 2 and a half hours with about 3 hours life, later on down the line when it gets released, buy the official larger battery and you get a longer battery life but might make the system more heavier. You can turn off the screen but it still drains power and one button touch turns the screen back on. Currently there is no way of just switching off the Gamepad by itself with the console still on. If you decide to buy a Pro Controller for the console that is recommended for games that do not use much of the Gamepads features, you don't even need to use the Gamepad if the battery has no power. Apart from accessing the eShop and changing system settings (untested with Miiverse), you can control the Wii U with just the Pro Controller (untested with the Wii Remote but I imagine it is the same). Remember to press X to change to the icon view if you want to play your game. The Pro Controller takes 5 hours to charge that is a pretty long time, however it has the one of the longest battery life in a wireless controller. As an example, I have played about 12 hours so far on the Pro Controller and there is still 3/4 battery life left.

It is up to you if you want to download any games but if the console goes, any downloaded games that were on the system are gone so it is a bit risky. If you have to download any games, stick to the download only games on the eShop (e.g. DuckTales Remastered, Mighty Switch Force) since the retail games in most cases are just cheaper to buy and will last as long as the disc (in case you want to play it 10 years+ from now). The exception is New Super Luigi U where it is cheaper to download however the disc version is a limited edition. Even then 32GB isn't really a lot considering retail games can go as far as 25GB, luckily no Wii U game to my knowledge is at that stage yet unless you are buying the Basic model which in this case is even worse, probably lucky just to get updates and saves maybe one or two games at the most on that model. You would have to invest with a hard drive if you have a basic model or lots of downloading, 320-500GB should cover you for the life of the system unless you literally download every game off the eShop. It isn't like PS3/PS4/360/Xbone where 320-500GB might not be enough for some and need to go into the terabytes for them. Sorry if I'm putting you off downloading, there are advantages to downloading such as the Premium discount where you get money off to download until the end of next year and of course, if you are small on space in your room/apartment/house. It's just that trying to take it from both sides.

Apart from that enjoy your console.