Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I'm not sure if anyone else has played it, but when I get my WiiU next week, I'm planning on buying Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper as the game to hold me off until Sonic comes out later. Has anyone else played it? I love the warriors games by Koei, so I figured it would be a good thing for me to go for without having to throw out a massive amount of money on a mario title.

This is a bit worrying if Ubisoft goes since they are actually supporting the system quite well. They try to get as close as the other consoles in terms of release and release DLC unlike some of the others. Now the problem is that Assassin's Creed has extras on the PlayStation versions so people would rather go for that, that being Ubi's main series for a bit plus Watch Dogs have been more focused on PS4/PC. Apart from Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell: Blacklist and maybe ZombiU, the rest of the games appeal towards a different audience. Some of the big stuff hasn't been on here yet, like where is Far Cry [A game that would happily buy a Wii U version of if good] and Ghost Recon [rumoured to be coming]? Trials Fusion is coming on next gen systems and the 360, so it is doubtful for a Wii U version since that series has been 360/PC. The problem being is that when Ubi pull the plug, there will be even less choice and a chance of being a Nintendo only console if the other games aren't appealing.

Fair enough if they are going to stop supporting the PS3/360 as well since it would be easier to do it all x86 instead of having x86 and PowerPC types to program for, however it is a bit too early when the drop off point is going to be whether it will be next year or around 2016/17 [when Sony and Microsoft will pull the plug of their consoles]. The easiest thing is wait until next year on whether Ubisoft will continue or not.

Then again their sales goals regarding the Wii U version should be lower if they are targeted too high. Also Ubisoft tries to cater for every market. Some of their games that they made such as Just Dance and Smurfs 2 sold higher on the Wii than the Wii U.

I am planning on getting the Wii U console 'premium Windwaker bundle' when it's released this Friday (4 October). I will probably either buy it from my local GAME store, or order it online from Amazon.co.uk. The price is £249.99. Are there any cheaper prices - for this bundle - going round?

Fun fact: This will be my first Nintendo console. I have never played a Zelda game before or a Mario game (apart from Mario Kart). I will of course be getting Sonic Lost World. I am also thinking of getting Super Mario Galaxy 2, as you guys seem to highly recommend it. Any other games you can recommend?

Let's see in terms of recommendations (I don't know what games you are into except platformers so it is a stab at the dark here):

For the Wii (backwards compatible) games, here's some of both well known games and some cheaper but less known. Note: There is also a lot of not very good games at all on the Wii just like the later days of the PS2 and the DS due to the popularity of the console so be very weary regarding any licensed game or ports of a 360/PS3 game. There are also early Wii games that force the remote to be used on games that weren't designed for it due to that they were also PS2/Xbox/Gamecube games as well.

Disaster: Day of Crisis - One of the few Nintendo games that wasn't released in America at all that itself is a curiousity and made by the same people as Xenoblade Chronicles and the upcoming mech game only known as "X" for now. While it isn't the best of Wii games graphically and in gameplay, it is better than many games that were released on the system. The game is interesting as you fight over the elements such as earthquakes, a bit like the Japanese series Disaster Report but I think this one is more arcadey. It can also be purchased cheaply like Punch-Out.

Donkey Kong Country Returns - 2D platformer with good graphics, level design and gameplay. The shaking of the controller might annoy some people though. This game has just been released under the Nintendo Selects program so it is possible to buy this brand new.

Gunblade and L.A. Machineguns - Two of Sega's arcade gun shooters ported to the Wii and the only legal option. Since these games came out a long time ago (Gunblade was in the mid-90s, LA Machineguns was late 90s), the graphics aren't the best even though LA Machineguns is still acceptable. They play well and also cheap to buy as well. Don't expect long to play though, Gunblade is about 20 minutes to complete either route while LA Machineguns is about 45 minutes however you can play these if you are short of time. Personally prefer Gunblade to the other though.

Klonoa - A remake of Klonoa: Door to Phantomile [originally a PS1 game] that itself is an acclaimed game due to the level design and gameplay. Be careful though, it is quite a rareish game in the UK for the Wii. I luckily managed to get it £18 but it has gone to about £32 used last time I checked. It isn't the rarest game on the Wii [that goes to GTI Club, not seen a single copy of that game at all].

Punch-Out!! - A remake and at the same time a sequel to the NES Punch-Out game. Very easy to pick up and play but can be difficult to master. The graphics are quite nice, the boxers all have a sense of humour and there is also a two player mode as well. It is also pretty cheap too, one of the cheapest Nintendo made games to buy.

Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies - If you like over the top action with lots of enemies coming out left, right and centre with bosses every so often then this game is suitable. The game looks quite nice, an option of two characters who have their differences and it is done by acclaimed studio Treasure. Be careful, this game can be a hand hurter [i played the game for 20 minutes and it really hurted my hands] and can be tough.

Sonic Colours - A pretty good Sonic game that might be or might not be to your tastes. This one has plenty of platforming moments but you can still run and boost like Unleashed and Generations. It feels so right on the Gamecube controller however the Wii U doesn't support Gamecube stuff so hmm... Still possible to buy this new.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 - Everything that people say about these two games is true, these are really good 3D Mario platformers. ASDA is selling SMG2 brand new off at £25 but other places might be cheaper and used is cheaper still.

Wario Land: The Shake Dimension - A completely 2D platformer with good looking sprites, backgrounds and cutscenes done by an anime studio. The level design and the bosses seem okay. There are missions to do on top of clearing a stage however they can be pretty hard. Out of all of the Nintendo platformers on the system, this one is the cheapest to buy but very hard to buy new.

I do have Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword but have yet to play it, however you need the Wii Remote Plus for that game so either wait for Wii Party U or if you can find it cheap like I did go for the Wii Play Motion bundle or if you want a better game then Flingsmash but that one is much harder to find.

There's also Xenoblade Chronicles, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii as well however for the last two, there are sequels coming out on the Wii U so it is probably better to wait for them. For Brawl though, it does have Snake and Sonic included who might not be in the new one.

The Wii U side doesn't have much at the moment but you can try these:

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Unless you have the PS3/360 version that while has worse graphics, it is more stable or the portable Vita version) - A racing game that feels like Burnout Paradise only with licensed cars, it isn't the best out of the Criterion bunch but is the only one with the takedowns that appears on Nintendo systems (Burnout 3 onwards were just PS2/Xbox/360/PS3). While it does have the best graphics out of all the console versions and more closer to the PC version, it is crash prone.

New Super Mario Bros. U - A lovely 2D platformer with good level design/tried and trusted Mario gameplay and personally consider this the best of the NSMB series, now it is completely up to you if you want to buy New Super Mario Bros. Wii as well since it is similar gameplay but might be cheaper. If you want a challenge get the New Super Luigi U DLC.

Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed (Unless you have the PS3/360/Vita/PC versions) - A racing game with transforming racers made by good old Sumo Digital, it's like Mario Kart with a hint of OutRun but there are no blue shells. Graphics are lovely and there is plenty of Sega fan service here plus two other characters. The only difference between this and the other consoles are extra multiplayer modes however it doesn't run at 720p like the PS3 version or potentially the best PC version with extra DLC.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist (unless you have the PS3/360 versions) - It's a toughy of a game however unlike the rest in the series, you can choose how you want to play whether you want to sneak around, sneak and kill or go all guns blazing. Graphics seem pretty good and the Wii U version is slightly better than the other two console versions due to the higher 720p resolution [both the PS3/360 versions run on sub-HD] and no screen tearing however Offline Co-op mode is missing due to time constraints of development, framerate is worse at some points and the loading times are longer due to no install option (a positive though is more system memory to store saves/games on).

Others would recommend Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101 as well but they aren't for everyone and Rayman Legends [the original version] unless you play it elsewhere. Also Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has extras compared to the others in terms of modes and costumes. In the future there is also Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, the 90s Arcade Racer.

Ubisoft probably won't stop supporting it.

Rayman Legends is selling most of its units on the Wii U. While it may make sense the more 'hardcore' titles won't appear, I highly doubt the Wii U will miss out on any Ubiart engine game.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is awesome, Smash Bros. is amazingly fun, and... those are the two games that I really enjoyed on the Wii I think. Wii U doesn't have anything I care about right now personally, so I haven't bought one.

Zelda's good but bear in mind that it won't blow your expectations. 

If Kirby interests you then there's Epic Yarn (very different from the normal formula, but it's still fun and has some of the most gorgeous visuals and music in a Wii game), Return to Dream Land (a more traditional Kirby game that takes after the SNES Super Star and Adventure on the NES). There's also Kirby's Dream Collection if you wish to check out some of Kirby's past games.

Despite its cutesy appearance, Kirby has just as diverse of an audience as any good Nintendo IP. Its colorful visuals and friendly difficulty entice younger players, while its optional challenges and varied level design draw in pretty much everyone. The rule of thumb for most Kirby games is that they're easy to beat, but dauntingly difficult to 100% finish most of the time.

I am planning on getting the Wii U console 'premium Windwaker bundle' when it's released this Friday (4 October). I will probably either buy it from my local GAME store, or order it online from Amazon.co.uk. The price is £249.99. Are there any cheaper prices - for this bundle - going round?

Zavvi: £239.99

Scoured all of the sites I know and of the ones selling it, Zavvi is the cheapest. Next cheapest is ShopTo.net at £248.86. GAME, Amazon and Grainger games are all selling it for £249.99, and 365games is selling it for a whopping £259.99.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hold up, Bender. If you've never bought from Zavvi before, then here's a 5% off voucher (it's first time buyers only): ZV4189879. It brings the price down to £227.99.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hold up, Bender. If you've never bought from Zavvi before, then here's a 5% off voucher (it's first time buyers only): ZV4189879. It brings the price down to £227.99.

Yep, never bought from Zavvi before. That's really cool, Blue Blood. Thanks!

Oh and thanks to everyone else for all the game suggestions.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 2

Can I sue SEGA for putting those stupid circle spins in Sonic Riders? angry.png

You need to play Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3. That game will break your sticks.

So it looks like YouTube broke the Wii U browser again. Like seriously what the fuck. Not even deleting my cookies or using the /embed/ method works any more

Or Fire Emblem.

Not that anyone would know they're the creators since no one in existance has played any game other than Lulwakening

*grumble fucking tumblr grumble*

Edited by Dino2d.dll

Saw this earlier so I thought I'd post this here: Miyamoto elaborates on why Nintendo doesn't revive some franchises.

"There are franchises where you would want to put in time and the energy because if you don’t spend enough time and energy on it, it could impact the value of the franchise and the popularity of the franchise. Certainly, with something like Star Fox, we’ve released additional games in the series. I guess with our internal teams in particular, they tend to gravitate more towards bigger franchises… games like the Marios and Zeldas.

"For us, it’s less about choosing which franchise we’re going to create and more about choosing what type of game style we want to create and what type of new experience we’re creating and that’s limited internally by the number of different teams who can create those ideas."

Miyamoto also mentions 1080 Snowboading, strangely enough.

I guess we could have looked at different approaches with 1080 [1080° Snowboarding] on N64 and tried to find ways to extend that franchise or build it in a way so we could maintain that brand until now… but it’s always a difficult decision in terms of which ones to choose."

• Thumbs Up 1

So... don't expect much other than more Mario, Zelda, & Donkey Kong and if we're lucky, Pikmin? Focusing only on the larger stuff... One step closer to becoming like the other publishers, I guess.

*whispers* I don't like to be a nag, but remember, image-only posts- even when linked- are not allowed here. D:

Huh? I see this done all the time by members. In fact, SSMB's own staff does this from time to time.

I thought the image rule was pertaining to macros and useless posts. Not screenshot/image posts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Saw this earlier so I thought I'd post this here: Miyamoto elaborates on why Nintendo doesn't revive some franchises.

Miyamoto also mentions 1080 Snowboading, strangely enough.

Eh, I half expected an answer like this, so in its basic understanding we are mostly just going to be getting the "bigger" franchises out of the way first instead of working on other ones that could potentially draw more fans to the company. I wonder if the poor sales of the wonderful 101 had something to do with this.

Eh, I half expected an answer like this, so in its basic understanding we are mostly just going to be getting the "bigger" franchises out of the way first instead of working on other ones that could potentially draw more fans to the company. I wonder if the poor sales of the wonderful 101 had something to do with this.

If anything I think it scared them away from new IPs. Of course, Platinum's games don't sell very well and being on a niche at best system compounded it.

I hope they're finally making a third Paper Mario game.

Super_Paper_Mario_cover.jpg

Totally doesn't count.

Well, I wanna say a new Fire Emblem but SMT X FE is still in development. 

Huh? I see this done all the time by members. In fact, SSMB's own staff does this from time to time.

I thought the image rule was pertaining to macros and useless posts. Not screenshot/image posts.

I...generally don't see this happening all the time, from either members or staff, so much so that I'm not sure how to respond without context. o.o I mean, posting a one-sentence headline as news that also happens links to a picture of the thing in question would be considerably more contributory to the overall topic and would be allowed to slide I think, then dumping a raw link that completely lacks context, and on top of that is a picture that is simply more memetic than newsworthy in quality.

• Thumbs Up 1