Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

There were 2 major updates. A Spring one (Which optimized the OS) and a Summer one. Though, I guess it's the Fall update now.

Anyways:

-USB Keyboard support added

-Wii U Voice now supports Headsets

-PDF files are now readable in the browser

-You can now post pictures on blog/social sites the way you do on Miiverse

-Off-TV Wii Mode now supported (Still requires Wii Remotes)

Unconfirmed:

-According to a Nintendo Tech Support rep, the Youtube crashes are now fixed

Also, Ariel just said color was added to Miiverse drawings and WE UNIFIED ACCOUNT NOW

Just tired and Youtube is just as broken for me as it ever was.

A little pop-up will appear before you enter the Wii Menu that will ask if you want to display on the TV or the TV + The Gamepad, at which point you select the latter option, turn off the TV (when you have access to one, anyway), and start using the Gamepad.

Ahh, right now it's just telling me to use a Wiimote to access the Wii Menu, and I checked to make sure the update went through and it did, so im a bit confused.

Ahh, right now it's just telling me to use a Wiimote to access the Wii Menu, and I checked to make sure the update went through and it did, so im a bit confused.

The pop-up I mentioned appears on the TV during that little menu, so if you don't have access to a TV right now, I suggest plugging in the Wii U sensor bar and kind of hovering to the top right (where the icon would appear on the TV) with the Wiimote until it vibrates (if you have a Wiimote lying around, that is. If you don't, I'm afraid there's no way to access it).

It feels like theoretically, Gamepad play would be simple.

Firstly, Gamepad play would of course, only be possible in Single Player.

On launch, you choose what input you want to emulate: Wii Remote, Wii Remote + Nunchuk, or Classic Controller.

Classic controller is simple - it'd be a direct thing in which the Gamepad pretends to be a Classic Controller.

Wii Remote and Wii Remote + Nunchuk would be a little more fiddley, but there'd be a key point - there is no second control stick on these setups originally.  With a background program to respond to the second control stick input and translate it into Wii Remote pointing position data to be fed into the Wii game, you could use the control stick to AT LEAST bypass pointer-only menu systems, such as the Wii's Channel menu itself.

There would have to be a forewarning that Wii Motion Controls may not respond correctly to the Gamepad's Gyro input, recommending only games with basic actions be played.  (Mario Galaxy would be just about possible, but sling stars and motion control levels might demand a bit too much).  Also Nunchuk motion control would be completely impossible - perhaps clicking either control stick could serve to emulate a general "movement" input for simple shaking actions.

It would be funny to see someone try and attempt to play Skyward Sword exclusively on Gamepad.

• Thumbs Up 1

It would be funny to see someone try and attempt to play Skyward Sword exclusively on Gamepad.

Not sure how you'd do the motions unless the Gyro sensor somehow acts as the wiimote movement, and Prime Trilogy for that matter. 

I love this news though! I got the wiiu last week expecting the ability to use the gamepad to play wii games on in the first place and I was disappointed to find out that it wasn't possible. Gets better every time.

How do you take screenshots on the gamepad? 

Press Home, make miiverse post, attach the picture.

Go on your PC, look at Miiverse post, link picture.

Not sure how you'd do the motions unless the Gyro sensor somehow acts as the wiimote movement, and Prime Trilogy for that matter. 

I love this news though! I got the wiiu last week expecting the ability to use the gamepad to play wii games on in the first place and I was disappointed to find out that it wasn't possible. Gets better every time.

You actually can't use the Gamepad to play the game, you have to use the Wii Remote. The GamePad is just a smaller screen and that's it. Sorry to disappoint you. =(

Edited by canderson

Press Home, make miiverse post, attach the picture.

Go on your PC, look at Miiverse post, link picture.

You can look at Miiverse posts online? Sorry, I'm kinda new to the U :P

You actually can't use the Gamepad to play the game, you have to use the Wii Remote. The GamePad is just a smaller screen and that's it. Sorry to disappoint you. =(

I didn't expect to be able to use the gamepad as a controller anyways, just as a tv which is great in case others want to watch tv or something as long as the gamepad plays the sound

You can look at Miiverse posts online? Sorry, I'm kinda new to the U tongue.png

Over here!

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/

Edit: Apparently there's a site now where you can upload screens directly to social media sites.

I just realized something. With games looking terrible stretching to 40 inches on a HDTV, I wonder how they'll look on a upscaled 1080p image on a 480p tiny screen. That should look really good....

*boots Sonic Colors*

Edited by Autosaver

So you can play a game loke Kirby's return to dreamland on your game pad or you still need a wii mote

So you can play a game loke Kirby's return to dreamland on your game pad or you still need a wii mote

Display only, other controllers required (Wii Remote/Classic Controller).

Display only, other controllers required (Wii Remote/Classic Controller).
Well can the gamepad be used as a sensor bar?

I already love the update!

*Currently playing Super Smash Bros Brawl on the Gamepad!*

EDIT: Is the maintence still going on? I can access the internet browser but nothing else like Miiverse and E-shop

Edit2: i'm stupid.......Reading makes life a whole lot easier....

Edited by jordine

So didn't fix YouTube then?

Urghhhh, entire update is pointless now.

This problem with YouTube just sort of came out of nowhere quite recently, didn't it? I'd hazard a guess that it's happening because of the way that YT is constantly changing, rather than the Wii U itself. This update will have been finished a while ago if it's being rolled out now, so there's no wonder Nintendo hasn't sorted it.

Yush! Always wanted to play Wii games on the gamepad; installing a sensor bar into it would have been pointless if they didn't capitalize upon it, as well. Sorta wish they allowed the classic controller layout to be accessible through the gamepad, though. That would have been even better.

Full details about the system update have been released.

Nintendo provide details on latest Wii U system update

As we previously shared, the latest Wii U system update (4.0.0J) has been pushed live prior to the Nintendo Direct set to air on October 1st.

Now, we can learn precisely what Nintendo have added in aside from the usual tinkering to improve performance, and it certainly impresses. Notes provided by Nintendo of America share the following:

New Features
* A feature to output video and sound to the Wii U GamePad when using Wii Mode¹ (Users can choose to output to the TV and GamePad, or just the TV)
* A feature to automatically receive recommended software and demo titles from Nintendo using SpotPass
Support for USB keyboards
* An option to disable use of a Nintendo Network ID on non-Nintendo hardware, such as PCs and smartphones
Support for Dolby® Pro Logic II Surround Sound when playing Wii software

Changes to Wii U Menu
* Added a friend list icon to the Wii U Menu for easier access to the Friend List

Changes to System Settings
* An option to automatically receive recommended software is now available under “Internet”
* A setting to select which cable outputs sound is available through “TV” (Users can choose to output sound through an HDMI cable, non-HDMI cable, or both cables at the same time.)
* A setting to adjust the hourly interval in which standby functions are performed is available under “Power Settings” when Standby Functions are enabled

Changes to Wii U Chat
* Added the option to view a friend’s profile on Miiverse when sending or receiving a chat request
* Users can now chat using a headset connected to the Wii U GamePad

Changes to Internet Browser
* Pressing the R or L Buttons on the Wii U GamePad will skip video playback forward/back a small amount of time
* Holding the R Button will speed up video playback
* Ability to save username and passwords for websites that require login²
* Ability to launch the Internet Browser during gameplay and upload screenshots
* Added support for viewing PDF files³
* Added features intended for website developers that allow the user to enable developer tools and set user agent

Improvements to system stability and usability
Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

¹ Wii software displayed on the Wii U GamePad cannot be controlled by the GamePad. This feature only allows Wii software to be displayed on the GamePad. A Wii Remote Plus or Wii Remote is required to play Wii software titles.
² Users can delete saved usernames and passwords from the Internet Browser settings.
³ Sometimes data may not be displayed correctly depending on the size and format of the PDF file. PDF files cannot be saved.

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2013/10/01/nintendo-provide-details-on-latest-wii-u-system-update/