Awoo.

M&S at the London 2012 Olympic games General and big horse (Oss) appreciation thread

Badnik Mechanic

"Unfortunately, in our brief hands-on, Mario & Sonic London's use of the Wii Remote felt less responsive than the top titles on the system and we were yet again left mourning the lack of MotionPlus support (Sega says there simply isn't a big enough install base for the add-on)."

Aww... Well I'm probably getting the 3DS version anyway.

What the hell is this? It looks like Epic Yarn.

screenshot36941.jpg

Perhaps the closest we'll ever get to a Mario & Sonic platformer.

So no story mode in either version this time?

I didn't know that they had anti gravity flying disk races at the Oylmpics?

Anyway, Pockly confirmed it seems, even if he is just a background character, and Porker Lewis too [/ no idea of his real name]

And finally confirmation!

MS-London-Wii-screenshot-1.jpg

SONIC! on a BIG OSS!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ow...Why didn't they made a pic with Bowser/Eggman/Vector on a horse, to see how hilarious they looked?

Ow...Why didn't they made a pic with Bowser/Eggman/Vector on a horse, to see how hilarious they looked?

• Thumbs Up 1

"Unfortunately, in our brief hands-on, Mario & Sonic London's use of the Wii Remote felt less responsive than the top titles on the system and we were yet again left mourning the lack of MotionPlus support (Sega says there simply isn't a big enough install base for the add-on)."

Aww... Well I'm probably getting the 3DS version anyway.

These new screenshots look really nice, I especially like the look of ones of the Dream Events. Kinda gives extra hope for the other Dream Events that haven't been revealed yet. :P

Though I did wonder something. Is it a safe bet that any Sonic levels that show up in this game are essentially discomfirmed from featuring in Generations? Because I can kinda see the sense in that, using distinct levels in both games.

These new screenshots look really nice, I especially like the look of ones of the Dream Events. Kinda gives extra hope for the other Dream Events that haven't been revealed yet. :P

Though I did wonder something. Is it a safe bet that any Sonic levels that show up in this game are essentially discomfirmed from featuring in Generations? Because I can kinda see the sense in that, using distinct levels in both games.

Please no.. I want Windy Valley in Generations so much D:

I hope not. Though another theory is that, out of laziness, they used a toned down for 3DS version of Windy Valley that was made for Generations. It's possible, I mean, why would they completely re-render Windy Valley then restrict it to disc flying?

Man, the character models look great on the 3DS. Sonic on a horse is just ridiculous. Makes me really want to see Bowser on a horse.

I hope not. Though another theory is that, out of laziness, they used a toned down for 3DS version of Windy Valley that was made for Generations. It's possible, I mean, why would they completely re-render Windy Valley then restrict it to disc flying?

I suppose that is always a possibility, though whats shown of Windy Valley actually looks more along the lines of "taken straight from Advemture and cleaned up" than of anything unique made for Generations 3DS. I don't know it just kinda seems more likely that any stages that didn't make the cut of Generations might be added to the Olympics, so that they at least get some representation during Sonic's 20th.

Curious as a newbie.

Will SSMB make a section for this game?

They will eventually, right now theres not been that much to talk about so it's all in one topic.

Then again, ASR never got it's own forum. Hmmm.. I wonder if we could keep it all in the one topic?

From the SPOnG interview:

SPOnG: Going back to the first game in the series, when you decided that Mario and Sonic’s collaboration should be in the style of a sports party game... Why did that scenario make sense to you as opposed to a traditional platformer?

Osamu Ohashi: Prior to this project there has always been a discussion between Nintendo and Sega about bringing Sonic and Mario together somehow. But...there was an issue as to exactly how we could achieve that.

These characters come from two totally different backgrounds, ... you can’t just get them to run on one of the Sonic stages or vice versa. You have to create something from scratch, a neutral location. Nintendo and SEGA never managed to agree on just where or what kind of universe we could set a Mario and Sonic adventure in.

Then, some time ago, SEGA secured a license to create games based on the Olympics. At that point I came up with the idea of having Mario and Sonic compete with each other in the Olympic games setting. We proposed that idea to Nintendo and they were really positive and interested in the idea...

...But couldn't they just pull the generic crossover justification of "worlds merging because"? Oh well, I really don't care about the idea anymore, and right now I'm convinced that a platformer crossover would just be disappointing in the end anyway.

Edited by Ekaje

Im so glad to see Windy Valley back!!! and that Kirbys Epic Yarn stage er...I mean Yoshis Island looks gorgeous!!! makes me want to get the game, but Im not completely sold. Put in handball and Im sold! DO IT SEGA!! Looks like were getting "party games" too? I mean that yoshis island game, doesnt look to be based on an event is it? well the discus dream event is just crazy! I guess it could be dream long jump! .....I want dream handball so bad!!! could be like, take turns to throw the ball, and items could appear, if a star appears the goalie is done for XD .....ahh.....its good to dream isnt it...*sigh*

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

From the SPOnG interview:

...But couldn't they just pull the generic crossover justification of "worlds merging because"? Oh well, I really don't care about the idea anymore, and right now I'm convinced that a platformer crossover would just be disappointing in the end anyway.

Something they CAN do though is start including Sonic and friends in games like Mario Kart. :P

Im so glad to see Windy Valley back!!! and that Kirbys Epic Yarn stage er...I mean Yoshis Island looks gorgeous!!! makes me want to get the game, but Im not completely sold. Put in handball and Im sold! DO IT SEGA!! Looks like were getting "party games" too? I mean that yoshis island game, doesnt look to be based on an event is it? well the discus dream event is just crazy! I guess it could be dream long jump! .....I want dream handball so bad!!! could be like, take turns to throw the ball, and items could appear, if a star appears the goalie is done for XD .....ahh.....its good to dream isnt it...*sigh*

Ehm...but for that, there must be a Handball event at the real Olympic Games

Seeing that Yoshi Story mini-game made me realize I'd be more then happy with a NSMBW style platformer staring Mario, Luigi, Sonic, and Tails. Just make Sonic/Tails faster and Mario/Luigi have better jumping. Anyway I'll consider getting this if there are more interesting Dream Events. If we're not ever going to be getting a platformer the least I wish they'd do is drop the realistic events and go all Dream Events.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

So I guess backdrops will be extended towards Mario spinoffs as well? This seems fine by me.

Also this is the third time they decided to release Robotnik with Wario and Waluigi, a pointed trend that I love - they really know their villains.

Just admit you like the shipping goodness of Walubotnik, Nintendo.

Not sure if this is super related or anything but:

Sega explains why they haven't made a traditional platformer game with Mario and Sonic and only made the mini game fests.

SPOnG: Going back to the first game in the series, when you decided that Mario and Sonic’s collaboration should be in the style of a sports party game... Why did that scenario make sense to you as opposed to a traditional platformer?

Osamu Ohashi: Prior to this project there has always been a discussion between Nintendo and Sega about bringing Sonic and Mario together somehow. But every time we talked about it, there was an issue as to exactly how we could achieve that.

These characters come from two totally different backgrounds, and have completely different worlds. If you do any kind of collaboration, you can’t just get them to run on one of the Sonic stages or vice versa. You have to create something from scratch, a neutral location. Nintendo and SEGA never managed to agree on just where or what kind of universe we could set a Mario and Sonic adventure in.

Then, some time ago, SEGA secured a license to create games based on the Olympics. At that point I came up with the idea of having Mario and Sonic compete with each other in the Olympic games setting. We proposed that idea to Nintendo and they were really positive and interested in the idea, so that is where we started building it into a concrete game proposal.

Full interview here.

Edited by Jetronic

It was posted earlier in the thread actually. I think it was one or two pages back. ^^

Derp!

Ah well, the more the merrier =P

Sorry about that =/

Edited by Jetronic