Awoo.

M&S at the London 2012 Olympic games General and big horse (Oss) appreciation thread

Badnik Mechanic

I hope they mean 20 characters "initially," with the prospects of unlockable characters. It'd be nice to see faces such as Rosalina, Espio, Diddy Kong and Jet.

Ah, I didn't think of that. It could just mean 20 to start with and then more can be unlocked. I guess we've become used to all of the characters being unlocked from the get-go in these Olympics games that we'd ruled out the possibility of unlockable characters already :P

So yeah, that please.

THERE IS HOPE FOR YOU YET, ROSALINA!

Vector & Bowser could make a great duo of defenders for football, and with Knuckles as a GK :o. That'd be a hard defense to break!

I'm hoping we get unlockable characters this time, too... Sega would be STUPID not to include additional characters in a "sequel" to a "party" game. And they never have done this in the past, either... Every consecutive Riders game added at least a new character to the roster. Zero Gravity added Silver and Blaze, while Free Riders added Vector and Metal Sonic. Another example... Sonic Drift 2 added Knuckles and Fang, Sega Superstars Racing added Knuckles, Big, plus other Sega characters...

Typically, all Mario spinoff game sequels (and typically new Mario spinoff games) tend to add new characters in each game, as well. Mario Kart 64 added Wario. Super Circuit, as I recall, added Waluigi (perhaps others), and Double Dash added tons... Daisy, Baby Mario/Luigi, Birdo, Diddy, Toadette, King Boo, Petey Piranha, Paratroopa (it also brought back Koopa Troopa from Super Mario Kart), then DS added Dry Bones, Wii added Rosalina, Funky, Dry Bowser... you get the idea.

Overall, I think the "20" is just reiterating the current known cast. Its just a very bare-minimal description. I certainly hope there are more... again, it'd be stupid not to (and even Free Riders managed to add new characters despite early speculation that there wouldn't be).

Still, I wouldn't get your hopes up for Rosalina... even if there ARE more characters, Rosalina will likely be pushed to the back of the line, considering her lack of appearances and only one single playable appearance (Mario Kart Wii), whereas even more minor characters (Waluigi, I'm looking at you...) have never truly been in a real Mario game plot. Rosalina will undoubtedly be dwarfed by others such as Birdo, Dry Bones, Diddy, Dry Bowser (despite how annoying having an alternate version of Bowser would be...)

Hey, they added the sub forum at Sega Forums...but they added the skin of the Winter Games instead XD. It sure is a placeholder, but it was funny to see that

I've got word back from Kellie. As far as she knows, the number on the website is accurate (as in, it is the final roster number). I know she's only a community manager thus not on the same level as a developer saying it, but it's the best we've got. :mellow:

If I remember right, they already had Boxing, Basketball and Cycling in the DS version of the first game, so in all likelyhood those will (at the very least) just be brought forward and updated a bit for the 3DS version. It would be cool to see them on the Wii version too though (and maybe taking some influence from Sports Mix in the Dream Event version too :P).

Honestly though I hope they update any of the events they bring forward from the first game a good bit, since one thing most of them suffered from was quite a bit of sameyness (though that mighta just been mostly from the control-scheme). Like other people have said I also hope we get some kinda Adventure Mode, since Adventure Tours from Winter Olympics DS was a load of fun. :)

Yep they had boxing (it was hella fun), cycling and dream basketball (wich wasn't even close to a real basketball game, it was basically a shooting minigame )

Theres not many more to choose from. By the way how many "official" events did the last one have?

EDIT: @VEAM-F : Darn! so its pretty much confirmed eh?

Edited by dabbido

well, they may add King boo a pair of shoes, just like he has invisible legs :)

Anyway, The inclusion of characters like Cream and Toad may be doubtful, but, you know, Toad and Cream were A LOT requested to be playable last time...SEGA could put someone else doing referee, like Charmy, Chip, Storm, Wave and Tikal, on the Mario Side we still have Lakitu, Koopa, Parakoopa, toadsworth etc...

on the other side I have to admit that Cream and Toad are just perfect for their role, so maybe I can just hope for Rouge, Big, Rosalina and Diddy

we can maybe expect 2 more just for fan service, and a different skin for Eggman (Eggman Nega), Bowser (Dry Bowser), Mario (Baby MArio or Fire Mario) and Sonic (Classic Sonic)

anyway let's throw in the sports you'd like to see as DREAM EVENTS. Id' say

Soccer

Volley Ball

Triathlon

Pentathlon

1000 m (with platforming elements maybe)

Taekwondo (fighting wooooo)

BMX (race wooooooo)

Tennis

Handball

Sailing

Shooting

* an unique event

Checked the GameFAQ boards for their reaction. Looks like no-one's woken up yet, there's only one topic across both boards.

Whoever wrote the topic was a Doctor Who fan, anyway. :D

Ladies and Gentlemen... THE COOLWALL!

*fandom cheers*

Coolwall has been updated. And well... M&SATL2012OG is it a cool game? Is it an uncool game?

Well... it's a popular game, it's going to sell tons of copies, but it's also a mini game collection... and whilst there is the possability of Boris Johnson mode or Sonic and Co. trying to board the underground, possibly a Tardis.

It's a cool game... but not quite cool enough to go on the cool side of the board, so we'll attatch it to the cool section with silly string.

coolwall2.jpg

Someone post this on the Sega forums... it will make me happy and I will find it funny watching the reactions.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 1

May as well add my two pennies here. I'm sorta looking forward to this, because I enjoyed the first more than the second, and the prospect of more events pleases me. I will be disappointed if Rosalina and Rouge do not become playable at any point though. Of course, that outcome won't match my inherent annoyance that we've got another Olympics game, when a platformer, fighter or even a kart racer (Mario Kart vs Sonic Racing? :P) would be fit so much more naturally to the two franchises.

there's a little thing to point out. It may be useless but...

I was thinking...a Soccer match has 22 players on field, right?

Don't you think it would be a bit "strange" to have 20 chars in total? I'm pretty sure they would let us make a team Sonic vs team Mario.

So Sega... Team Sonic is missing Power and All Around, and Team Mario is missing Skill and Speed...just give us at least 4 more characters and we will be happy

Don't you think it would be a bit "strange" to have 20 chars in total? I'm pretty sure they would let us make a team Sonic vs team Mario.

So Sega... Team Sonic is missing Power and All Around, and Team Mario is missing Skill and Speed...just give us at least 4 more characters and we will be happy

It's probably a 5 a side game type. But thats quite a good point anyway.

Five-a-side football isn't out of the question. Nor is four-a-side, if we go by Vancouver.

Edit: Uh, ninja'd slightly.

Edited by VEAM-F

I don't think so, I think they'll do the same as Ice Hockey and make it 4 vs. 4 (2 vs. 2 in DS) but generally, the most common minnimum (Only when you play with friends or amateur tournaments) in football is 5 vs. 5

Edited by Vec

I don't think so, I think they'll do the same as Ice Hockey and make it 4 vs. 4 (2 vs. 2 in DS) but generally, the most common minnimum (Only when you play with friends or amateur tournaments) in football is 5 vs. 5

:( you're right, I forgot about Ice Hockey...this is really sad...

I dont think that really matters... Ice hockey is played with teams of six. Olympic winter games used 4 players. I think soccer wont be that complicated and will most likely be played ala mario strikers. 5 players.

Maybe they can combine the hockey character set-up from both versions into it; four playable a side, but with the goalie being a generic NPC character. Thus, proper 5-a-side football without making team events awkward.

Maybe they can combine the hockey character set-up from both versions into it; four playable a side, but with the goalie being a generic NPC character. Thus, proper 5-a-side football without making team events awkward.

Talking about football? will they use the same system of expulsion they used for Ice Hockey, or will they use the Yellow/Red card system?

I was actually thinking that they might borrow some gameplay quirks from the Mario Strikers series (which, co-incidentally enough, also runs the 4PC/NPC Goalie scheme). There's already an established franchise there, why not use it for inspiration? Obviously it wouldn't be quite as maic as MSt.

Yellow/Red card system...it'd be fun to see. I remember that in Hockey that your player could be sent to the dug-out if they fouled enough times, so it might run similar to that, if implemented.

Would be nice to have a yellow / red card system! I doubt it though! ....I can already imagine soccer specials in "Dream Soccer" *w*

Would be nice to have a yellow / red card system! I doubt it though! ....I can already imagine soccer specials in "Dream Soccer" *w*

Maybe a Captain Tsubasa style would be over the top *.*

Wow, they sell millions of copies, make millions of dollars and can't even be bothered to add a handful of new characters. :/ I was sick of the Mario & Sonic mini-game crossovers to begin with but that's a surefire way to insure I wont care enough to pick this up.

I wish these games would stop selling in such crazy numbers so they would have to actually put some effort into them.[/bitter]

Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games to Contain Online Features?

I'd certainly bet on it- the last games had leaderboards and also had the logo. Hopefully though we'll get online play. Not likely, but with the improved online system for the 3DS I really want it.

Mario_and_Sonic_at_the_Olympic_Games_box_art.png