Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

So I got a Vita in October when I was in the US, decided to take advantage of the exchange rate and saved around £100 in total (due to the deal, came with a free memory card and a few other things).

Gotta say, I really do love it... however, I didn't get any games for it until recently.

When they announced the Vita PS+ I decided to hold off buying games just in case. So first of all I've been playing Uncharted Golden Abyss. Gotta say, it's not amazing, but it's still a really good game, especially considering this is a handheld system.The thing with Uncharted Vita is that, it's trying to show off everything that the Vita can do when it probably shouldn't. Every few moments it feels like I have to deliberately touch the screen which slows the gameplay down to a stop when I don't want to be doing that. I can't stand the girl characte thats in it either.

But it's still a really good game and a definate recomendation, just don't expect it to be the same standard of any of the uncharteds because it's not. Though the water rapids stage was something I'd quite like to see in a console version one day.

I've been playing Gravity Rush lately, and I've gotta say: It's a really solid title. I quite like it, and I think I'll invest in a purchase. It doesn't help that I've been skilling side missions, so there's a whole lot of content I have yet to play

I'm still saving up to get Sound Shapes & All-Stars Battle Royale...I have no games for Vita yet...

I'm crying for All-Stars Battle Royale though...

• 3 weeks later...

What up - as some of you might know I got a Vita for my Birthday a couple weeks ago and I'll likely be getting Gravity Rush and Uncharted for Christmas, maybe somethin else too I dunno (but thus far I've just been playing demos and I can of course use it for PSOne games I already have on PSN.)

I'm here today to ask a question and that question isssssss

Is there a place I can view all the data on the SD Card and erase at will what I don't need? So far I can only seem to erase things I've downloaded from the Home menu but it's a bit cluttered doing it that way and doesn't tell me how much space I have free and etc.

Also while I'm here I may as well ask

• Can LBP be played in CoOp with only one copy of the game?
  • Will remote play be expanded to the point where more PS3 or PSN games could be played on the Vita? Playing Limbo on the Vita would be gr8 but playing Tales of Graces (not exactly a demanding PS3 game) on it would be even better.

What up - as some of you might know I got a Vita for my Birthday a couple weeks ago and I'll likely be getting Gravity Rush and Uncharted for Christmas, maybe somethin else too I dunno (but thus far I've just been playing demos and I can of course use it for PSOne games I already have on PSN.)

Is there a place I can view all the data on the SD Card and erase at will what I don't need? So far I can only seem to erase things I've downloaded from the Home menu but it's a bit cluttered doing it that way and doesn't tell me how much space I have free and etc.

Also while I'm here I may as well ask

• Can LBP be played in CoOp with only one copy of the game?
  • Will remote play be expanded to the point where more PS3 or PSN games could be played on the Vita? Playing Limbo on the Vita would be gr8 but playing Tales of Graces (not exactly a demanding PS3 game) on it would be even better.

I don't know about the last two questions, but the deletion thing is simple enough - just hold your finger down on an empty space in the background for a bit, and you'll go into the editing mode. You can move the pins around and delete them by clicking on them and selecting it in the sub-menu from there.

Remote Play for PS3 games on the Vita would be fantastic and a dream come true. It would be glorious playing Tales of Graces and Sonic Generations on it. I'm already sold on the system, but this would make me buy one even sooner than planned.

Content is classified by game/music/image/video and you delete things per section.

Free space is exactly where it is on the PS3, System -> Information.

Basically, it works the exact same as the PS3.

Can LBP be played in CoOp with only one copy of the game?

Uh? It has online. And you can't play with another person on the same system, obviously. The system is not that big.

(not sure I understand what you're asking)

Will remote play be expanded to the point where more PS3 or PSN games could be played on the Vita? Playing Limbo on the Vita would be gr8 but playing Tales of Graces (not exactly a demanding PS3 game) on it would be even better.

While theoretically remote play can work with all games (on modded PS3s you can bruteforce it), the quality tends to be shit and might cause bugs, so Sony isn't enabling the feature universally. Games should be added when either the game has been programmed to allocate for remote play or testing proves it works near flawlessly.

Alternatively, it's possible an OS resource footprint reduction in the future could let the PS3 run the streaming software without risking any game code.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is already built in for the PS4's OS, just like they did with voice chat, custom music, etc. from PS3 -> Vita.

Edited by Dobkeratops

Ah I was just hoping there was one screen where I could see all the data I could erase.

Uh? It has online. And you can't play with another person on the same system, obviously. The system is not that big.

(not sure I understand what you're asking)

Naw I meant that with some DS games you only need one copy of the game to do a simple multiplayer mode (for example if you have one copy of Mario Kart but your friends have DS' they can do download play etc).

Since yeah my brother will inevitably get a Vita but two copies of LBP? I highly doubt that. So I just wanted to know if LBPVita was worth it seeing as I already have both PS3 games, and obviously coop on those is a lot easier since you only need controllers and one copy of the game etc.

While theoretically remote play can work with all games (on modded PS3s you can bruteforce it), the quality tends to be shit and might cause bugs, so Sony isn't enabling the feature universally. Games should be added when either the game has been programmed to allocate for remote play or testing proves it works near flawlessly.

Alternatively, it's possible an OS resource footprint reduction in the future could let the PS3 run the streaming software without risking any game code.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is already built in for the PS4's OS, just like they did with voice chat, custom music, etc. from PS3 -> Vita.

That would be awesome, I'd really like if they expanded on it a bit since it seems a little pointless so far (but I can't blame them since even just playing the PS3 menu from the Vita is laggy) Edited by SuperLink

Ah, those. I don't think it'd be feasible on LBP, that has a lot of assets and processing to be done to quickly transfer.

The remote play thing is complicated because we're at the generational end of the PS3's cycle and the OS has been already reduced a lot. Once you free resources for developers you can't have them back, and it'd take a significant cut on top of that to let the console basically record, encode and transmit on the fly while playing a game with zero repercussions.

Sony can add an easy to use API for their devkit toolchain that lets the dev decide if they want to spend X processing on it, much like the youtube uploading or playlist support they currently have. And perhaps automatically adapt the UI to prevent unreadable texts on the smaller screen. But then it's up to the dev.

It's gonna take a fresh start to make it OS-level (read: universal), though.

• 2 weeks later...

PSVita rated as "Worst Product Flop of 2012"

Also on 24/7 Wall St.’s list of the worst product flops of 2012 is another Sony device – the Sony Tablet P.

Released first in Japan in December 2011 and then globally in February 2012, initial sales of the PlayStation Vita were encouraging. By the end of February, the company announced it had sold approximately 1.2 million units, followed by an additional 2 million units of software for the handheld game console. Yet sales quickly declined. From its release date to June 30, just 2.2 million PlayStation Vita units were sold, far less than the 3.6 million units Nintendo 3DS sold in just its first month. Recently, Sony has clumped sales of the Vita and its predecessor, the PSP, together to avoid highlighting embarrassing sales figures. Frequent complaints about the Vita were that the $300 price tag was too expensive and that its game lineup was both weak and small, especially given the availability of cheaper gaming through smartphones and tablets.

Hopefully the sales get better over time. Maybe a price drop, bundle, and new games will help it.

There's no way in hell Sony can afford a price drop, they tried pricing it as competitively as they could with the 3DS and it still flopped.

Without a serious killer app behind it, the Vita's situation is not going to improve. CoD:BLOPS:Declassified should've been that killer app, but it was so utterly god-awful. Japanese developers have practically abandoned the platform for the most part, opting to continue with the PSP instead, and considering Nintendo have managed to pretty much secure Monster Hunter as exclusive to their platforms for the time being, that's not going to change.

The PSP had a somewhat modest success, but I don't think anyone expected the Vita to flop this badly. Sheesh.

I know Sony's console biz is always making sales at losses due to the hardware they use but their other businesses are doing hunky dorey and always keeping them successful and afloat. Couldn't they use some money from other Sony branches in order to line some developers' pockets with silver for Vita exclusives??

I know that exclusives are becoming much rarer in the industry and harder to get but Vita needs 'em.

I know Sony's console biz is always making sales at losses due to the hardware they use but their other businesses are doing hunky dorey and always keeping them successful and afloat. Couldn't they use some money from other Sony branches in order to line some developers' pockets with silver for Vita exclusives??

I know that exclusives are becoming much rarer in the industry and harder to get but Vita needs 'em.

Sony in general is not doing nearly as well as you think. Its Playstation brand isn't the worst money-sink it has right now, its TVs are losing money by the truckload, among other things. While it's not all bad news for the company, Sony needs to kill the dead branches and do a serious restructuring of its itself and its corporate culture in order to survive, and that doesn't seem to be happening right now.

Sony's culture is one where its engineers are so prideful of their work that cost-cutting is unthinkable, and they have nothing but contempt for their CEOs. It's doing far more harm than good, right now.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Sony in general is not doing nearly as well as you think. Its Playstation brand isn't the worst money-sink it has right now, its TVs are losing money by the truckload, among other things. While it's not all bad news for the company, Sony needs to kill the dead branches and do a serious restructuring of its itself and its corporate culture in order to survive, and that doesn't seem to be happening right now.

You forreal? :( I thought it was doing well besides consoles. I'm guessing the not-so-great success of 3DTVs isn't doing them many favours either.

You forreal? sad.png I thought it was doing well besides consoles. I'm guessing the not-so-great success of 3DTVs isn't doing them many favours either.

Not just 3DTVs, its premium-priced TVs in general aren't making them any money. Their credit rating is also in the shitter, too. It could be worse for them, but unless they actually do something about that...

Camera department is hitting new highs, and mobile phones has become profitable, with them being the 3rd highest smartphone vendor behind (by a long way mind) Apple and Samsung. TV has been restructured, apparently its doing better due to the critically acclaimed HX853. But Sony is a in a pretty bad way at the moment.

Most of their financial problems seem to have arised from aggressive purchases of Ericssons Share in mobile phones, and the aquisition of Gaikai, and sinking money into them via R&D, whilst not being profitable.

They're technically not doing as badly as they were two years ago, if I'm not wrong they've increased their turnover and slightly reduced costs.

The Vita has been cannibalised by smartphones unfortunately. I hope it becomes successful though. Its a pretty great handheld on a technical level, and is superbly built.

ITT people become knowledgeable finance advisers.

Its Playstation brand isn't the worst money-sink it has right now

It's not even a money sink at all, that division's been posting profits as of late.

ITT people become knowledgeable finance advisers.

It's not even a money sink at all, that division's been posting profits as of late.

In fact, its been hugely profitable.

And the costs associated with the Vita are kind of overestimated. It would have been expensive at first, but its architecture is old now. Mobile computing parts have been increasing in power at a ridiculous rate. Moore's law affects the Vita too, so now that its components are outdated, its costs should have sunk quite considerably. Maybe not to profit making leves, but the loss should almost be gone.

In that case a price drop wouldn't be as big an issue anymore right? Because it kinda needs one if they want developers to think it'll actually shift units.

In that case a price drop wouldn't be as big an issue anymore right? Because it kinda needs one if they want developers to think it'll actually shift units.

A price drop is probably on the cards for next year. Right now I suspect that they want to squeeze out as much money as they can, for as long as they can.

A Sony rep did say that a price cut was going to happen sometime the next year. Of course, the fact that he said this right before the holiday was the dumbest thing possible.

That said, a price cut is really not going to do much. The 3DS' boost in popularity and numbers wasn't merely because of the price cut but because the simultaneous release of Ocarina of Time 3D, the announcement of Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land and a bunch of other brand new material that was guaranteed to keep the console afloat. If the Black Friday deals were of any indication, a price cut alone and bundling of a bunch of stuff isn't going to cut it if none of it is a solid reason to own the console for. If there was any moment that required of Sony to enter panic mode on the console, it'd be now.

I like to think localizing Tales of Hearts R would greatly help but that's just me being a fanboy.

It's a shame, because from what I've experienced with the Vita, it's a fantastic system.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like to think localizing Tales of Hearts R would greatly help but that's just me being a fanboy.

It's a shame, because from what I've experienced with the Vita, it's a fantastic system.

I concur. It's an excellent piece of technology, and is my second favorite portable console. It's only beat out by the 3DS because of the software library. I own 2 retail games for my Vita, one of which I won in a contest. I have 9 retail games on my 3DS, with a 10th on the way.

I really wish it had a more robust software library, it's a shame everything's going so bad for it.