Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

It's from the official Sony site. How much more concrete do you need? And where exactly is this being heavily debated?

Oh geez. I wonder why people are debating Sony's own numbers. :/

Just google and you'll find out why. I didn't really know about it until someone brought it up.

It's from the official Sony site. How much more concrete do you need? And where exactly is this being heavily debated?

A simple google search reveals all...

EDIT: Removed link. I got it from an article about IDC's projections earlier in the month.

There are also numerous sources claiming that Sony has combined PS2 and PS3 shipments since last year, in those records, which would lead to false reports. Heck, Joystiq reported in November that Sony shipped 70 Million as of November 4th ( http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/16/ps3-70-million-move-15-million/ ). How they would sell upwards of 7 million in that short of time is anyone's guess.

The point is, the numbers on the Official Sony Site might not be accurate. So don't just assume everything they post is fact.

Edited by Shen the Kid

As a piece of tech, the Vita is an impressive device. It's powerful. It's sexy. I'd buy one, the problem is I wouldn't know what to do with it. I think the age of handheld gaming as we know it is dead, and the Vita is a prime example of this.

I think the fact that the 3DS is selling by the skid load and even the PSP is still selling in decent numbers shows that it falls down to Sony's mismanagement of the device. For sure both companies will lose a good chunk of the casual handheld gaming fan with this changeover to smartphones, but I have to assume that at least most of the people who bought the DS and (especially) the PSP didn't slot into that market anyway.

Oh geez. I wonder why people are debating Sony's own numbers. :/

I kinda doubt Sony is committing investor fraud, which is the direct implication that statement carries.

That being said:

Maybe we'll hear more about it in the upcoming E3.

Nope, it's units sold. (also click this link for half of 2012's sales, add it all up and PS3 had sold 70.2 million units)

That second link is combined hardware sales of the PS2 and PS3, and thus can't be used. The fact that gaming news sites were parading it around as only PS3 sales just shows how shoddy game journalism can be; and:

A simple google search reveals all...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507950

That thread is about questioning the accuracy of a third party group making sales projections of the PS3. Not Sony's own sales numbers.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the fact that the 3DS is selling by the skid load and even the PSP is still selling in decent numbers shows that it falls down to Sony's mismanagement of the device. For sure both companies will lose a good chunk of the casual handheld gaming fan with this changeover to smartphones, but I have to assume that at least most of the people who bought the DS and (especially) the PSP didn't slot into that market anyway.

I kinda doubt Sony is committing investor fraud, which is the direct implication that statement carries.

That being said:

That second link is combined hardware sales of the PS2 and PS3, and thus can't be used. The fact that gaming news sites were parading it around as only PS3 sales just shows how shoddy game journalism can be; and:

That thread is about questioning the accuracy of a third party group making sales projections of the PS3. Not Sony's own sales numbers.

Hmm, my mistake. The PS2 & PS3 combination still applies though. They've been doing that... for what the last fiscal year?

Hmm, my mistake. The PS2 & PS3 combination still applies though. They've been doing that... for what the last fiscal year?

Yep. That's why there is a sales breakdown of the PS3, PS2 and PSP separately through FY 2011 (March 2012), but after that they only report combined sales. Many gaming news sites failed to make that distinction after Sony did it. Scuttlebutt on sites that report financial information is that they did that for two reasons:

1. PS2 sales were winding down enough anyway that it wouldn't skew the numbers that much (and, indeed, for Q4 it won't at all since they stopped production before it started) but still make them appear a little better than they were.
  2. So they could also combine PSP and Vita sales under Portable Entertainment to hide the Vita sales after the initial couple of months and they started tanking (which incidentally is exactly around the time they combined them).
Edited by Tornado

Yep. That's why there is a sales breakdown of the PS3, PS2 and PSP separately through FY 2011 (March 2012), but after that they only report combined sales. Many gaming news sites failed to make that distinction after Sony did it. Scuttlebutt on sites that report financial information is that they did that for two reasons:

1. PS2 sales were winding down enough anyway that it wouldn't skew the numbers that much (and, indeed, for Q4 it won't at all since they stopped production before it started) but still make them appear a little better than they were.
  2. So they could also combine PSP and Vita sales under Portable Entertainment to hide the Vita sales after the initial couple of months and they started tanking (which incidentally is exactly around the time they combined them).

But isn't the sales gap between the 360 and PS3 small enough those numbers would make a difference? I thought we were talking about a million or less sales.

You have to get into the mindset that Sony prepares those documents for. Investors by and large aren't worried about whether the PS3 outsells the 360. They are worried more about whether the sales are good (with differing values of good, but so long as they are consistent) and if Sony is making money on them (there's more to it than that, but I hope you get me). Now, at this point, PS2 sales are basically just a happy bonus, so sales winding down (or, as recently happened, being eliminated) is no big issue because it is really old hardware long past its expected end of support date.

Vita sales, however, are much more concerning. That it isn't selling as good as the 3DS isn't a problem. That it isn't selling as good as the PSP is (or at least not much better), whose sales are winding down as it ages even though the Vita is supposed to be part of the future of the company, is. Hence, consolidating the sales together when possible partially to make them look better, partially to simplify them. It's like how Nintendo would really rather you buy a Wii U or 3DS, but if you're going to buy a Wii or DSi they aren't going to complain about it

Now, as for why Sony was able to do this without protest, you also have to remember that Sony the multinational conglomerate is a total schizophrenic mess right now. And the game division, for the past couple of years, has been one of the more profitable ones; actually making around the same amount of money annually in the past two years as they were for the 3 years prior to the PS3 launch. So investors aren't going to be worried nearly as much with Vita sales as they are with, say, sales of the Home Audio division, which lost something like 4 times as much money last year as the Games division made. If anything, the consolidation was probably welcomed by investors so it is easier to keep track of (two sets of sales figures rather than 4).

Edited by Tornado

That second link is combined hardware sales of the

PS2 and PS3, and thus can't be used. The fact that gaming news sites

were parading it around as only PS3 sales just shows how shoddy game

journalism can be; and:

I was more at getting at what you said in the second quote. Some people aren't realizing this (and as you said, journalism is bad). I'm also unsure if it means units actually sold to people or to stores.

Still Sony has done a great job. Even with the combined sales, they launched much later and at a much higher price. I'm sure more units have been sold faster than the 360. Really weird seeing many predictions of the PS3 falling into the garbage bin taking Sony with it.

I wonder how many people buy a PSP just to Jailbreak it? :U

Probably a huge amount.

Whenever I found a rare species 'PSP Owner', it was always jailbroken with custom firmware. I've never seen anyone that actually used the stock firmware.

Not sure where else to put this, so...

I was trying to transfer Persona 3 Portable over and ran into an issue.

I don't think I can get it because I bought it as a different user, my main account. But my Dad made it and I don't know how to get the account information at all. This is pretty irritating...

Not sure where else to put this, so...

I was trying to transfer Persona 3 Portable over and ran into an issue.

I don't think I can get it because I bought it as a different user, my main account. But my Dad made it and I don't know how to get the account information at all. This is pretty irritating...

Can't you either ask your dad about the account info or simply request a lost password form to access the account? You can do the last part via PC, even.

Still, keep in mind you'll have to use the account you bought the game with to play.

All those hours.

All that time.

All that pain.

So we finally managed to fix the account information on the PS3, all we had to do is get the Vita onto that account. but noooo.

Why is there only 1 PSN account useable? Why can't I switch accounts normally? Why was that necessary? Why block out a nice feature to make it difficult to use the handheld itself? WHY?

Not only did I do all this calling for customer Support for nothing, all of this was to download one goddamn PSP game. And I can't even do that. WHY do I have to be linked to the same account to download a game anyway? It shows up on every User I'm signed in as anyway, I mean seriously.

It was easier to do on the PSP!  And I had no PSN account on the PSP whatsoever.  just connected it to the PS3, it downloaded, and I was done. Fair, simple, clear and concise. But not with the new and improved Vita! Oh no, it's much more annoying.

Formatting still won't get rid of the PSN Account hardlocked to the damn system, and the only way to do so is to get another fucking memory card? Goddamnit, why?!

Please tell me I'm missing something, I'll be so happy to be wrong for once. I've never been this frustrated with a goddamn handheld like this.

Just curious, why do you need more than 1 account?

From the get-go I thought I could just swap out the accounts when I wanted, so I made a placeholder account for things until we could clear up the account information of my Dad's old PSN account.

I did all of that today in the span of an hour or two, and then when I try to sign out of the other account I notice it's hardlocked onto the system and I can't switch to a different User at all.

Frankly, it was pretty damn frustrating. Why couldn't they have added something so simple as to change to a different account? Seriously...

That's the only alternative atm. But for imports, it costs alot more than a download digital copy. On PS3, you can import and also download digital copies from any region by creating and using other regional accounts.

You can actually have different user accounts on Vita. Each one is locked to a memory card.

Edited by Colasaurus Rex

We have our first details on Killzone Mercenary from some random Polish game magazine... Oh my

- Engine is nearly 1:1 from PS3 version
-They added a few new gimmicks to the engine, so they can utilize more PS Vita
- Game is gorgeous, clear and crispy textures, big draw distances
- Character models are awesome, the same with animation
- Stable FPS even with gigantic action inside levels
- Literally - game is like portable Killzone 3, looking better than Uncharted.

The looking better than Uncharted comment might be a reference to Uncharted Golden Abyss, it's a great looking Vita game, but compared to the PS3 version, it doesn't look as good.

This sounds like it's effectively Killzone 3 on the Vita.

MB2ZQTr.jpg

Sites keep linking to this source. But I can never get the content to show. http://www.ppe.pl/news-20440-PSX_Extreme_185_od_srody_w_kioskach!.html

Also according to comments on the PS Blog, they'll have more to show next week.

Formatting still won't get rid of the PSN Account hardlocked to the damn system

You have to deactivate account #1.

Log on that -> System settings -> PSN- > Activations.

Then you can log with and enable account #2.

So Soul Sacrafice is up for pre-order and is releasing on April 30th in the US I think.
And if you pre-order now you get the Japanese Voice Track DLC for free

......WAIT THEY'RE NOW PUTTING VOICE TRACKS AS DLC FOR GAMES!? FUCK OFF!

As far as preorder incentives go that's pretty harmless. If the game has a bunch of unique audio cues it'll help reduce size for digital downloads being separate.

I suspect Index Holdings are getting a boner at the prospect of using these practices on their new import-unfriendly games, though.

But hey, that release date for SS means we're getting the demo soon.