Awoo.

Sonic Colo(u)rs Impressions, Help, and Discussion Topic

Agent York

Is the Sonic Simulator in the Ds version?

Yes but it aint the same as the Wii version it just there for Time Attack, 2 player Versus Mode, Options and Special Stages but lacks playing as Robotic Sonic's in Gameland.

Edited by Shaddix

Yes but it aint the same as the Wii version it just there for Time Attack, 2 player Versus Mode Options and Special Stages than playing as Robotic Sonic's in Gameland.

Ah, is there 6 acts per zone like in the Wii version? To best honest Sonic Colors Wii is such a beautiful game it almost made me cry, hopefully Sonic Colors DS gets slightly rid of the Rush formula, from what I played of the demo it feels a little more like the Advance series, which if anything, is a great thing.

So, I've been playing a ROM of the DS version just to have a taste of what I'm getting on Christmas. I skipped all the cutscenes, so I haven't spoiled much. ANYWAYS, I recorded Act 2 and the Boss.

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

So, I've been playing a ROM of the DS version just to have a taste of what I'm getting on Christmas. I skipped all the cutscenes, so I haven't spoiled much. ANYWAYS, I recorded Act 2 and the Boss.

I loved it and can't wait to get it. I think I'll just get the music now...unless that's not needed.

What emulator do you use? Desmume? because it goes so darn slow.

I also got the DS version in a "not so nice way", since I'm spending all my savings with the Wii version and I will try to get current gen console or a better PC in the next months so the DS is a no no for me. :(

I only played Tropical Resort so the only thing I'm going to say is that I'm in love with the Bonus Stage song, it's awesome. :D

What emulator do you use? Desmume? because it goes so darn slow.

Yes, I use Desmume. It's the only way to record footage (And play Pokemon White). Anyways, enough of that. Don't want to de-rail this thread TOO much.

Where are the Sweet Mountain 3 red rings .-.? I'm getting mad.

IF I remember Act 3 right, the one where you get the rocket, this one was a bit challenging for me. From memory...

1st- Save and use the rocket (in the sections rockets first appear) for the section with the springs and a trail of rings going upward. Use the rocket for the first Red Ring

2nd- This one is the simplest, launch off the springs and nab the red ring on the platforms that fall when you land on them.

3rd- After the area where you jump from platform to platform with Egg Pawns on it as rockets fire down on you, grab the White Wisp under the moving platform if you have no boost and then boost up the ramp for a Spike Wisp. Use the Spike Wisp right below the Rocket Wisp BUT DO NOT USE THE ROCKET WISP. Instead quickly as Spike Wisp stick to the left wall and spindash up and you will see a platform you can hang above floating in mid-air. Jump onto it and it'll start moving. Going through this section, dodging obstacles that try to knock you off, and eventually you'll get to the Red Ring. Grab it quickly and either get back on the moving platform or quickly get to the top of the platform you are on so when you turn back to Sonic you don't fall to your death.

4th- After grabbing the last Red Ring stick to the platforming at the top and get to the moving platform. Crouch to duck under the low roof and the red coin is above you in the opening, use the wall jump to reach it.

5th- Either head back carefully or do this on another playthrough, but back when I told you to use the Spike Wisp where the Rocket Wisp was, don't do that. Instead continue to the right and when you get to the drifting part, look around at the beginning of the section to the right of the path and you'll find a spring hidden under some of the random debris. Use it to grind a rail that leads to the last Red Ring.

Make a video guide soon. -3-

Thankee, I got them all...

Aquarium Park 4 (The one with the giant squid-crab-thingy) xD? Please and THanks in advance.

Thankee, I got them all...

Aquarium Park 4 (The one with the giant squid-crab-thingy) xD? Please and THanks in advance.

Pft, this one would be too hard to express in words as the stage is too big but I know where they are and will make that a priority to make a guide for.

I think the first ones I will make guides for:

-Sweet Mountain Act 3

-Planet Wisp Act 6

-Aquarium Park Act 4

-Aquarium Park Act 6

-Asteroid Coaster Act 6

I'm not home right now but my goals when I get home will be to make guides for those five stages.

Good enough for me.

While I wait... *Tries to grab that Son of a Wisp Cyan Lazer after the intro chase*

To get that Laser Wisp go backwards at the start into the water, get the drill, and then drill to the lower-right corner of the pool of water to find a pipe, go through it, will launch you in Laser Wisp.

If you didn't know, there's a Red Ring behind you at the start as well, above water.

This is the time when good memory is really helpful. XD

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

Just going through a couple of these acts on the first playthrough, it seems it's best to come back with all of the wisps if you want to go ring hunting?

To get that Laser Wisp go backwards at the start into the water, get the drill, and then drill to the lower-right corner of the pool of water to find a pipe, go through it, will launch you in Laser Wisp.

If you didn't know, there's a Red Ring behind you at the start as well, above water.

This is the time when good memory is really helpful. XD

D*

Tell me from where the pipe starts please. I can't find it.

@Aquaslash: Yeah best to come back. The first time they're basically making you adjust to the game.

I didn't like the first three acts of Tropical Resort when I first played them, the game didn't start growing on me until after then but I now totally appreciate the first levels and no Wisps as it allows you to ease into the game.

@Blue Wisp: Go backwards from the start, grab the Drill Wisp, drill through the crates, then go to the pipe at the very bottom of the pool to the lower-right, it's by some rings.

In case you're wondering, because I was for the LONGEST time, you change your Sonic color in vs mode by pressing other buttons. This is how I think the layout on the GC controller is by memory:

Blue: L Trigger

Red: R Trigger

Black: Z Button

Green: X button

Pink: Y Button

Interestingly, there's not a yellow or a white one. I am now always green :D

My Sonic Colours arrived today - I got it a day early too! Heh...

So far it's pretty cool, I love the new voices and the cut scenes, and the levels look great and are well laid out too, but I'm finding myself getting confused by the controls a lot - it's very 'stop start', feels more like a Mario game with fast sections, and even the fast sections seem to be much slower than any previous 3D Sonic game (except '06), it's a bit better to look at than it is to play. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't play badly but after Sonic Adventure 2 and the daytime levels of Sonic Unleashed with the smooth way you'd string manuvers together, Colours doesn't have that flow, it's more of a platform game. Getting used to the controls too, they feel much more rigid and less analog - one of the options is to play the game with the Wii remote turned on it's side and in doing so you don't actually miss much because even with the analog stick Sonic mostly clicks to 8 directions (I tested it and it DOES have analog control but for some reason it has a bias for the 8 directions or something), also the jump feels kinda slow, it's difficult to manoeuvre him in the air to reach platforms and stuff. These are things I'll get used to.

One other big disappointment for me is the sound levels - you know the hilarious Eggman dialogue you get throughout levels? You can't hear it. The music is too loud and the voice is too quiet, so you can't make out what he's saying. What a pisser!

Oh and by the way, are there really any of these "floaty physics" and "difficulty spikes" and "moments of pure frustration" that some reviews claimed?

Edited by DistantJ

My Sonic Colours arrived today - I got it a day early too! Heh...

So far it's pretty cool, I love the new voices and the cut scenes, and the levels look great and are well laid out too, but I'm finding myself getting confused by the controls a lot - it's very 'stop start', feels more like a Mario game with fast sections, and even the fast sections seem to be much slower than any previous 3D Sonic game (except '06), it's a bit better to look at than it is to play. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't play badly but after Sonic Adventure 2 and the daytime levels of Sonic Unleashed with the smooth way you'd string manuvers together, Colours doesn't have that flow, it's more of a platform game. Getting used to the controls too, they feel much more rigid and less analog - one of the options is to play the game with the Wii remote turned on it's side and in doing so you don't actually miss much because even with the analog stick Sonic mostly clicks to 8 directions (I tested it and it DOES have analog control but for some reason it has a bias for the 8 directions or something), also the jump feels kinda slow, it's difficult to manoeuvre him in the air to reach platforms and stuff. These are things I'll get used to.

One other big disappointment for me is the sound levels - you know the hilarious Eggman dialogue you get throughout levels? You can't hear it. The music is too loud and the voice is too quiet, so you can't make out what he's saying. What a pisser!

Yes. But you know, floaty physics are things you can get used to, like with Sonic 4. Actually I wouldn't use the word floaty, I'd say the opposite - that they're too slow to respond, sluggish in a way.

Sadly yes, also most of the good speed sections I've done so far have been on rails, or they 'play themselves' - a lot of the really awesome looking sections in starlight carnival are just bits you watch Sonic do himself (or, like me, hold forward on the controller and pretend you're in control and enjoying it).

Will have to give it more time but so far I like Sonic 4 and Sonic Unleashed's daytime stages better.

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

So far i've done Tropical resort, sweet mountain and have just started Starlight Carnival

have to say I love the cut scenes so far, slightly annoyed me that there wasn't so much of an opening and the controls are awkward to use in the beginning.

The voices are surprisingly good, i didn't particularly like the one that was poster up like a week ago, but now it feels quite natural. And i like the chemistry between the characters.

I love the Drill wisp =D

While Asteroid Carnival was definitely fun in my opinion, it did have quite a bit of automation. Personally, I didn't mind it much, because it felt like an Unleashed stage to me.

That is, the 3D parts. Asteroid Coaster was mostly 2D from what I remember, and those segments felt very much like a platformer.

This may have been posted already but I can't figure out why I can't unlock the first Chaos Emerald. I have 1-3 open and instead of an emerald being at the end, instead it's a goal ring.

Just played the game for a few hours. I wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone.

This game is fantastic.

For reference, this is coming from a guy who despises SA2, Heroes, Shadow, and 06, while disliking Unleashed and SA1.

That's pretty engouraging to me.

I thought SA2, Heroes, Shadow, and 06 were lame as well. And while I enjoyed Unleashed and SA1, they had major issues which make me understand why someone would dislike them. Since our taste our pretty similar, I hope I reach the same conclusion you did about Colors being fantastic.

Better ninja vanish for now. If I stick around too long I might "accidently" click the spoiler topic. My will is weak. :P

My local Wal-Mart and Target both know what release dates are. Sigh.

I have a question. I got bored and played the Unleashed HD demo again this morning, and Sonic in 3D segments felt very sluggish and poor to control. The only way you got your direction changed was by ramming into walls and being forced to the side. For those who've played Unleashed, how well does he handle in 3D compared to Unleashed?