Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Spaz hasn't drawn a good cover in years because he's been too busy recycling poses and what not from previous covers he's done. If you go back about say, 9-10, maybe even 15 pages into this thread you'll see the comparisons posted from covers ranging from the late 190's to the 200's issues.

As much as I admire him methinks he might be growing tired of drawing cover art for the comics as infrequent as he does. Might be time for him to move on. =/

Yardley's! covers have been far superior to Spaz's covers, especially as of late. Spaz apparently had a knee injury that got in the way of his work this past year (according to Tracy Yardley), but even before the recent onslaught of extremely poor covers, his work has been in a decline.

Anyway, new preview:

su11_0.jpg

su11_1.jpg

su11_2.jpg

su11_3.jpg

su11_4.jpg

su11_5.jpg

"Echoes of the Past Part 3": New mysteries arise, along with new faces - both good and evil! But is everyone really who they say they are? It's up to Knuckles to figure it all out and rescue Angel Island before it's too late! This issue also features the long-awaited return of the Downunda Freedom Fighters and Knuckles' most unlikely ally - Dr. Finitevus?!

SCRIPT: Ian Flynn

ART: Tracy Yardley

Colossally chaotic cover by Yardley!

Shipping Date December 16th, 2009

On Sale at Comic Shops December 23rd, 2009

On Sale at Newsstands January 5th, 2010

32-page, full color comic

$2.50 US

Finitevus is on form here. Gets slammed into a wall until there's radial cracks, and what does he do? Correct his evil little spex. XD

Also, that cover is niiiiiiiiice.

What is their deal with the angry faces? Always over the top and hilarious.

Yardley just likes teeth?

Looking at this, Finitevus has a stronger physical resemblance to Zachary from Fleetway than I thought. I'm thinking of that strange gold circular amulet thing that he's wearing.

Finally caught up on my Sonic comics, and I have one question. Why are they shipping in the midst of an extremely personal war? They have yet to figure out a weakness for the Iron King and the Iron Dominion still has the upperhand. I expect the carefree attitude out of Sonic but Sally and Monkey seem totally out of character. Hell, she even lampshaded it saying that she doesn't have to time to date. Other than that, it was an okay chapter. I wish they isolated on the four ninja clans so Sonic and the crew can have battles with them.

Edited by turbojet

EDIT: Solicits are here.

sth211.650.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #211

"Home Invasion Part Two": Iron Nicole reveals a secret that the Iron Queen never saw coming... and now all bets are off as the duel to end them all begins! But that's just the half of it, as friends, foes and perhaps a bystander or two enter the fray with freedom hanging in the balance! Don't miss this thrill-packed issue filled with one great Sonicverse character after another including Monkey Khan, Tails, the Iron King, Espio, Snively Robotnik, Geoffrey, Lien-da, Amy, Antoine and more! Don't miss the explosive action!

ART: Steven Butler

Shipping Date: March 24th, 2010

On Sale at Comic Shops: March 31st, 2010

Newsstands: April 13th, 2010

$2.50 US

su14.jpg

SONIC UNIVERSE #14

"Journey into the East Part Two: High Price for Rich Nights": Having endured a fierce battle with the Spider Ninjas last issue, Sonic and his friends must now face Bat Ninjas! While ambushes threaten around every corner, the intrepid heroes proceed on their journey to the temple under the firm resolves of Sally and Monkey Khan. Are these deadly skirmishes any match for the political chess games and machinations of war that lurk beneath the surface? The big picture gets even bigger in this issue that ties into this month's SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #211.

ART: Tracy Yardley

Shipping Date: March 10th, 2010

On Sale at Comic Shops: March 17th, 2010

Newsstands: March 30th, 2010

$2.50 US

Edited by Megasponge

EDIT: Solicits are here.

sth211.650.jpg

Is dat sum Sonic Super Special #1 reference I see? =D

Also, those are some really spoilerific solicits.

Heh... Amy seems to be trying to eat her own dress. Not that I'd blame her, really, since it looks like there's a chestburster trying to get out of there. Jeez.

Also, is it just me, or does Sonic on that Universe cover look rather like Tiger Woods? Something about the shorter spines, maybe.

That Amy...

Is quite scary.

They seem to have a thing for making Amy a crazed MANIAC lately... o.O

Agreed, maybe it has to do with the Sonamy moments that appear later. Could be that Sonic did something to her that she is becoming more like Rosey the Rascal from the anti-world, and turning into a complete psycho like making her understand that they're just friends and nothing more which Amy would have interpreted as being 'dumped or rejected' or the theory of Sonic becoming the jerk cheating boyfriend and actually using Amy 'for seconds' is becoming true.

Wow, I can't believe I'm taking this way too seriously and thinking hard about something so minuscule. :blink:

Is dat sum Sonic Super Special #1 reference I see? =D

:lol: Yeah, the Assistant Editor confirmed that it was based off of SSS #1's cover over on Bumbleking:

bingo

For comparison:

sonicsuperspecialsuper1.jpg

sth211.650.jpg

Also, more new covers:

archiecomics_2086_19699902.gif

archiecomics_2086_21097007.gif

Credit goes to Aquaslash for finding these covers on the Archie subscription page.

Not surprised to see Fiona back with the Destructix. That's actually a decent choice for her while she waits for Scourge.

Also, more new covers:

archiecomics_2086_19699902.gif

archiecomics_2086_21097007.gif

Credit goes to Aquaslash for finding these covers on the Archie subscription page.

Not surprised to see Fiona back with the Destructix. That's actually a decent choice for her while she waits for Scourge.

Sanford did that StH # 212 cover? By the looks of it, that looks pretty decent compared to his previous title cover work.

Edited by Kintobor

Man, I know everything is completely subjective to the individual, especially in art, but I really can't see why people like these covers and hate Spaz's.

Really hoping that Renae Deliz's work is inside these because the covers do absolutely nothing for me.

On that note, Sanford's covers are even worse. They look like Sonic has down syndrome and are viewed in some drunken picaso-vision. Also I hate when people draw Espio with his horn so high; not bridging the gap between his purple forhead and tan mouth area - it just looks stupid with it so high up, and not accurate to boot.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Espio looks like a Ninja Turtle or something and Sonic's quills are this strange mass jutting out of his head. Yep, this is the Archie that made the NiGHTS comic.

Man, I know everything is completely subjective to the individual, especially in art, but I really can't see why people like these covers and hate Spaz's.

It would help if Spaz drew more than 2 poses. I understand he's busy, but come on

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

sth208_0.jpg

sth208_1.jpg

sth208_2.jpg

sth208_3.jpg

sth208_4.jpg

sth208_5.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #208

"Iron Dominion Part One": The unthinkable happens as the Iron Queen finds a way around New Mobotropolis's defenses! It's a full-scale invasion by the forces of evil, and it's up to Sonic and Tails to save the day! But what hope do they have when yet another of their friends falls prey to the Iron Queen's powers?

Writer: Ian Flynn

Penciler: Tracy Yardley!

Senses-shattering cover by Patrick "Spaz!" Spaziante

Shipping Date December 30th, 2009

On Sale at Comic Shops January 7th, 2010

On Sale at Newsstands January 19th, 2010

$2.50 US

Edited by Megasponge

For some reason I didn't think of having the Regina just use her techno-magic on the city eventhough I just read the issue where Nicole explained the nanites...It seems so obvious.

Edited by turbojet

Two things.

First, Sally's subtitle is the neutral "F.F. Leader", which should please certain parties.

Second, someone really needs to get Charlie Adler to say the words "snuggle-dumpling" in his Snively voice.

Really? They really didn't think the Iron Queen would try that? That really never occured to them? That would be like expecting Clamps to not use his clamps.

And it seems as though they couldn't go more than one issue without having Sonic focusing on Sally.

Really? They really didn't think the Iron Queen would try that? That really never occured to them? That would be like expecting Clamps to not use his clamps.

I'm kind of baffled by that as well.

I'm kind of baffled by that as well.

I think this is the comic equivalent of what happens when any place in the modern world has a black out for more than a few hours. All hell breaks loose and no one knows what to do because they had a computer doing it for them in the first place. I think Tails' pretty much summed up the opposite of that sentiment in the first page.

I also guess that's what happens when you don't have to rebuild your life from scratch over an extended period of time and rely on technology that can build it in a split second. D: