Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I find the visual portrayal of the Iron King in these preview pages slightly strange. The way he's grinning in shadow at one point, and the way he's drooling a lot, I kind of feel like he's half turned into Venom from the Spider-Man comics.O_o

Randomly perusing TV Tropes today, I find THIS:

#

During the latter half of Ken Pender's writing stint on the Archie Comics version of Sonic The Hedgehog, many of the stories either revolved around Pender's own anti-gun views or would come to a screeching halt for a few panels for an Author Filibuster about the same. An example of the former was an entire story devoted to showing how the great Overlander vs. Mobian war began: two children - one Overlander, the other Mobian - meet between the two kingdoms to play, one of them brings a gun one day and accidentally shoots the other while they're horsing around, war engulfs both races, After School Special credits roll. An example of the latter has one of the less scrupulous members of the Freedom Fighters (Fiona, who goes on to betray the team and join the bad guys in a later issue) asks why they don't just use guns to solve their current dilemma and is given a verbal bitch-slap by Rotor Walrus about how they have never used guns and never will use guns. This sudden Mood Whiplash is made even more jarring by the fact that Bunnie Rabbot, a character that had for a while been wearing six-shooters holstered in a bullet belt up until the issue in question, can be seen in the background, without the pistols but still wearing the belt. Further, not but twenty or thirty issues previous, Rotor had developed a huge bazooka-like laser cannon that purportedly operated much like a hand-held Wave Motion Gun and which Rotor actually fired directly at Dr. Robotnik at one point.

Now, I'm only just getting into Archie, with a grand total of TWO issues under my belt so far (204 and 205, fyi), so this is a novel tidbit of info. Is there much truth in it? The general extent of information I'd heard about Pender's tenure was that he wasn't necessarily... the best writer ever, and had a tendency to over-sci-fi things. But is there also much truth in the assertion that he blatantly got on his gun control soapbox now and again?

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen

I think I'm more concerned about Rotor stocking poison gas, no doubt an effective weapon against his entirely mechanical foes.

I think I'm more concerned about Rotor stocking poison gas, no doubt an effective weapon against his entirely mechanical foes.

In fairness to the walrus, lots of poisonous gases (like chlorine, and its badass little brother flourine) have legitimate non-military applications, AS WELL AS the ability to mess steel right up.

Also, LOL @ "Big Bad Mamma Jammer"

(Why does Rotor have chibi eyes and Sonic look like he's doing a crab dance?)

• Thumbs Up 1

Lack of quality control.

I think I owe Sonic The Comic #4 an apology. It is no longer the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

0archie_rotor_LOVES_guns.jpg

Every word of it is true.

oh jeez I can't breathe help

yourekidding.jpg

Edited by Indigo Dude
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

• Sonic News

I think I owe Sonic The Comic #4 an apology. It is no longer the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

It was gonna happen sooner or later. This was from Manny Galan, before he finally hit his stride during the Knuckles series. Ron Lim is worse, and well....to get to the bottom of the barrel check out #113.

It was gonna happen sooner or later. This was from Manny Galan, before he finally hit his stride during the Knuckles series. Ron Lim is worse, and well....to get to the bottom of the barrel check out #113.

Hahaha, "Many Hands".

I can draw better than that, and let me assure you, I can't draw.

As bad as that was at least it was based on a pretty good SaTAM episode. I still think Super sonic Special #15 is the worse thing Archie has published for the Sonic series. Seriously 5 PAGES(not panels, Pages) of Sonic bubbling in pitch black darkness, 3 pages of a shitty fight with Naugus that looks like it was draw by a middle schooler, and then 7 PAGES of the rest of the fight being completely obscured by a blizzard. I honestly thought this comic was suppose to be a joke.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

As bad as that was at least it was based on a pretty good SaTAM episode. I still think Super sonic Special #15 is the worse thing Archie has published for the Sonic series. Seriously 5 PAGES(not panels, Pages) of Sonic bubbling in pitch black darkness, 3 pages of a shitty fight with Naugus that looks like it was draw by a middle schooler, and then 7 PAGES of the rest of the fight being completely obscured by a blizzard. I honestly thought this comic was suppose to be a joke.

ALSO a "Many Hands" effort, apparently. :S

Fun little note: While it was never actually proven, rumor has it that Many Hands was actually editor at the time, Justin Gabrie, pocketing some change by doing art duties himself. =D

• Sonic News

Agreed. I couldn't remember what it was called, though, so I went with the one that was almost as bad.

Fun little note: While it was never actually proven, rumor has it that Many Hands was actually editor at the time, Justin Gabrie, pocketing some change by doing art duties himself. =D

I thought I heard on Bumbleking that "Many Hands" normally means multiple artists doing a rush job at the 11th hour.

If that were the case, wouldn't the art look more like Sonic #50, or #125, instead of consistantly looking like garbage? =p Many Hands was one person.

• Sonic News

Isn't it possible for multiple artists to converge on one, crappy, rushed style? Sonic #50 and #125 where done with the different artists in mind, wheren't they?

He should have went with Chinese Drywall instead.

I think it's sort of amusing, in a way, how Archie and Fleetway are backwards when it comes to the status of Sally and Amy. In Fleetway, Sally was a minor character while Amy was a major one. In Archie, it's the other way around. Apparently, if the cover of 210 is to be believed, all the years of neglect have broken Amy's brain.O_o

I think it's sort of amusing, in a way, how Archie and Fleetway are backwards when it comes to the status of Sally and Amy. In Fleetway, Sally was a minor character while Amy was a major one. In Archie, it's the other way around. Apparently, if the cover of 210 is to be believed, all the years of neglect have broken Amy's brain.O_o

Sally wasn't really a character in Fleetway. There was a creature called Sally Acorn, but if I remember correctly it was just the tiny little woodland critter that popped out of badniks.

I can't even remember if she ever had a speaking role...?

IN OTHER NEWS, I gots me #206 today. As you may be able to tell from my sig, I found Sonic's disdain for the assembled might of the Iron Dominion amusing.

Monkey Khan has some sweet expressions here. I love his "playa" face when he's first talking to Sally. And right at the end, his WTF expression when Sonic explains that they're not just gonna execute Robotnik. Awesome.

Not quite sure I understand what Lien-Da's doing, though. How is it that she just explodes Dimitri's bauble?

Sally wasn't really a character in Fleetway. There was a creature called Sally Acorn, but if I remember correctly it was just the tiny little woodland critter that popped out of badniks.

I can't even remember if she ever had a speaking role...?

Sally had some speaking roles, but only in the early issues. It was..weird.

tailskick.png

tailsandsally2.png

sallyfollowssonic.png

sallytalkstosonic.png

• Sonic News

Wow, the art was really bad before Nigel came on board....

Course, his awesomeness more then makes up for the badness from what I've seen of his work.

Wow, the art was really bad before Nigel came on board....

Course, his awesomeness more then makes up for the badness from what I've seen of his work.

Come to think of it, in that first panel, Sally doesn't look so much like she's crying in distress as she's sweating in bewilderment.

Come to think of it, in that first panel, Sally doesn't look so much like she's crying in distress as she's sweating in bewilderment.

Wouldn't you do the same, when confronted with a weird-lookin' Tails booting a weird-lookin' Sonic right in the kidneys?

Wouldn't you do the same, when confronted with a weird-lookin' Tails booting a weird-lookin' Sonic right in the kidneys?

Probably.XD In retrospect, perhaps Sally was making the only reasonable reaction to a world gone mad.XD