Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Can anybody provide a best to worst selling issue list of all the issues in the reboot?

That would be nice, gives a good idea of what doesn't sell here.

Can anybody provide a best to worst selling issue list of all the issues in the reboot?

I will dig up some numbers, then make a spreadsheet. It should be ready sometime tomorrow.
  • Thumbs Up 4

I don't think the idea is that Universe is at risk. It's more the part where suspiciously, the first arc where the titular character isn't either a SEGA character or a recolour of one, is selling comparatively like shit more and more.

Or alternatively, the first arc Lea writes. Point is, this arc was a comparative risk and isn't paying off.

Most direct market sales are tied to pre-orders, too, so understandably an arc not focusing on SEGA characters (I'd argue Tails is there primarily to feature on the covers) in this current market probably isn't looking to be a must-buy to as many people. I also personally see this more as the sales sort of evening out post-reboot, and Universe always did slightly lower numbers than the main book. It still does well, mind, but I recall the placements on Comicchron usually had Universe a few places or so below the on-going. I wouldn't be at all surprised if pre-orders for Sonic Universe #75 eclipse it for at least a few reasons; 1) It features Sonic and Metal Sonic going head-to-head, 2) It's a milestone, and 3) It has eight variants, so it's likely stores may order more copies just to stock those and sell them. It is disappointing that "Spark of Life" hasn't done bigger numbers since it's a good arc and nice change of pace, but I guess that's just how it goes.

I have no idea how each book did individually during the last crossover (must have been decent because it was a crossover and each issue had at least two variants), so it'll be interesting to see what sort of improvement the numbers receive when "Worlds Unite" is underway. I won't be too surprised if there's another drop following it, though.

If Sunwalker decides not to get the figures later today, I can pick the job up. 

On a...more positive Nicole note (iffy, given what it'll actually say), I've got Digest #11 too with her SCO story in.

...It's easily the worst of the lot so far. As I predicted, the actual 'origin' is two pages long, with the rest being simulator intros and outros. Even worse though? It doesn't even cover the beats that the origin could cover where Spark of Life couldn't because of the differing focus. You could have shown her start to try and decide on a holographic form due to her growing sentience, or showing the FFs reactions to seeing her for the first time (I know Sally is covered in SoL*, but not even Sonic or Tails?). Instead, we see one page of the FFs doing things while there's just a computer there, the next page she's suddenly a full hologram and interacting with the others like she'd always been there. We have lots of narration saying that they inspired her to be more than a computer, but nothing in the actual comic to convey it. I'm assuming SU#74 doesn't go into it either. If it does, call me out.

That said, Rotor's a highlight here. I'd almost say the addition of goggles were just for this moment with how well he pulls off the Eggman look, and the panel of Nicole putting a blanket over him as he fell asleep working at the desk reminds me of some fanart...but I'm probably overthinking that one. Just one question though; why would Sonic and Tails just take the computer out while they observe the sunset on the cliff and plonk her down on the grass?

*I just noticed that Spark of Life shares the same acronym as Shit Outta Luck. That's an unfortunate coincidence.

• Thumbs Up 1

I finished gathering up the direct sales figures.

Here is the graph showing the evolution direct market sales figures since the reboot:

uVUearm.png

Notice that I marked when the comics had their price increased. We can see that both STH and SU follow the same tendency. Since all STH issues are centered on SEGA characters, but both comics have the same trends, this suggests that the non-SEGA centered arc of SU was not a factor contributing to the sales decline. It is also possible to see that a small decrease started since the price was increased from $2.99 to $3.99.

Here are the raw direct sales figures, ranked from the best-selling to the worst-selling:

DSwXSxj.png

vtDRbeY.png

Notice that I gave the same color to the issues within the same arc.

For those who want to play around with the numbers, here is the spreadsheet I made: http://1drv.ms/1bfkCON. Notice that it has two tabs, one for the sorted data and another for the unsorted.

The source of the data was http://www.comichron.com.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, at least we can rest knowing it's not the fault of being a non-game character then. Hell, even the main series is affected.

and the panel of Nicole putting a blanket over him as he fell asleep working at the desk reminds me of some fanart...but I'm probably overthinking that one.

Granted it's Sally instead of Rotor, but did it remind you of this one by TysonTan?

curiosity_killed_the_lynx_by_tysontan-d8

• Thumbs Up 8

Got Saga #7 today. It has everything from issues 190-194 minus the game tie-ins (despite what the solicit claimed) and the Suppression Squad and Moebius articles from the Encyclopedia.

Also noticed a major footnote cock-up:

eaD4DwI.jpg

VXmdTWz.jpg

Um...no :/

• Thumbs Up 4

Maybe the SSMB Werver fart altered the timeline so Birthday Bash was included in Saga Series 3!

Or maybe someone made a massive screw up.

*Stares at sales figures*

Damn, thats just unpleasant to look at. so its just the price hike thats causing the problem, thats fucked considering Champions is one of the best arcs so far yet is getting effected as being the lowest selling because of the price.

Pirate Plunder Panic Part 2 is the highest selling Universe issue? I thought first and last parts of arcs always sold the highest.

If Sunwalker decides not to get the figures later today, I can pick the job up. 

On a...more positive Nicole note (iffy, given what it'll actually say), I've got Digest #11 too with her SCO story in.

...It's easily the worst of the lot so far. As I predicted, the actual 'origin' is two pages long, with the rest being simulator intros and outros. Even worse though? It doesn't even cover the beats that the origin could cover where Spark of Life couldn't because of the differing focus. You could have shown her start to try and decide on a holographic form due to her growing sentience, or showing the FFs reactions to seeing her for the first time (I know Sally is covered in SoL*, but not even Sonic or Tails?). Instead, we see one page of the FFs doing things while there's just a computer there, the next page she's suddenly a full hologram and interacting with the others like she'd always been there. We have lots of narration saying that they inspired her to be more than a computer, but nothing in the actual comic to convey it. I'm assuming SU#74 doesn't go into it either. If it does, call me out.

That said, Rotor's a highlight here. I'd almost say the addition of goggles were just for this moment with how well he pulls off the Eggman look, and the panel of Nicole putting a blanket over him as he fell asleep working at the desk reminds me of some fanart...but I'm probably overthinking that one. Just one question though; why would Sonic and Tails just take the computer out while they observe the sunset on the cliff and plonk her down on the grass?

*I just noticed that Spark of Life shares the same acronym as Shit Outta Luck. That's an unfortunate coincidence.

This is my overall problem with NICOLE, even ignoring her somewhat bland characterisation, the actual development we're meant to appreciate is somewhat missing in display. We get the points she is a blank, barely sentient block of machinery and then straight to her being a fully fledged emotional AI, with pretty much nothing in between. We don't see her sentience develop or come through the hardships and customs of being human. Abiding by what we see, she just accustoms to it instantly.

Despite the longer duration, I don't remember that evident a transition in the pre reboot stories either.

Its amazing how much a $1 can have on overall sales, Jeez :V

And yet, thanks to economics, the 3.99 price point is more profitable.

Just tackle the numbers.

For Sonic universe, the highest selling low price point issue here, PPP #2 sold 9253 copies @ 2.99 which leads to an output of $27,666.

Spark of Life #3, the lowest selling (and the one with the least time on the shelves) of the new price point shipped 6366 copies which equates to $25,400. The worst preforming of the 3.99's is still within spitting distance of the best preforming 2.99 model.

Compare that to something that has actually had a shelf life, like Total Eclipse #1 and you end up with numbers north of $30,000 – exceeding any of these 2.99 issues by quite a bit.

Even if they are selling less, they are making more money in the long run. The trend is the same for the main comic too, and that before you even give the newer issues time to catch up a little more sales wise.

• Thumbs Up 4

Here's a textless version of the 7.5 Variant for Sonic Universe 75

sonic_universe_75_half_variant_by_herms8

• Thumbs Up 2

So, I've been getting into the comics and I have to ask - which issue of Universe does the reboot take effect?

In Universe? 55, with Pirate Plunder Panic.

Main book is 252.

Although the whole nature of PPP makes it really ambiguous. The arc was obviously written before anybody at Archie knew the reboot was happening.

On another note, I have a theory about Phage.

Looking at Universe #73, I'm getting the feeling that Phage is a corrupted, digitised version of Nikki. There's several bits of evidence that leads to this found in #73. Firstly, there's one panel in particular that really drives it home. When Nicole is escaping from Phage's trap, Phage briefly takes a Lynx form, including having the same hair Nikki had.

Then we have Nicole running into a room filled with Nikki pictures. Now one explanation could be it's simply files found on the doctor's computer but then you remember that Phage stated she has had control for a while. In that case, why not delete those pictures? She clearly wants to hurt Dr.Ellidy and what would hurt worse than erasing the last few images Ellidy has left of her? Could it be that Phage sees the images as a past life and just can't bring herself to actually destroying them? Then we have Nicole. Phage seems to have been attempting to lure Nicole into the digital so is it possible that she feels jealous of Nicole? Maybe believing that Ellidy replaced her with Nicole?

I don't know, it's just a thought I had.

• Thumbs Up 3

A few weeks before the forum site went kaputt, somebody brought up the subject of how Shard could potentially come back. And someone concluded that his name would have to be changed because he can't be powered by a power gem shard because it's a Penders concept.

But here's an idea: what if Shard came back powered by a Master Emerald shard?

Didn't SA1 imply that the M.E. only really works once it's complete? As in, no shards left? So Shard having a bit of it in him might cause problems.

I suppose Ian could say, "oh, it's such a small shard, it's not like Angel Island will fall from the sky", though :U