Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I don't think the problem ever was that the humans don't fit in the universe, I think it's the other way around. The Sonic characters never fit into their universe. I mean, it's odd to note how much of the world building, no matter how inconsistent it is, has been always built around humans, and not around the anthros in the slightest.

Of course, I also believe that's not necessarily a bad thing either. Sonic Adventure and Sonic X played pretty heavily on the whole "fish out of water" feeling, that the Sonic cast was in a new place where they didn't quite fit in, and I think they did that pretty well.

But the problem comes when we get to Sonic 06 and Unleashed, we've been there, done that, and we're traveling around the world... And we don't see hide nor hair of any other anthro characters. I mean, why? Why is it that we never see any outside of Sonic's social clique? That to me is the problem here, not the humans themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

While you lot are talking Unleashed, I want to play When's Wally.

No, not where, when. Apparently, he's planned for a reappearance in late 2015/early 2016 if things go to plan. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, he's a pretty big mystery right now. Especially since he's got a species now, and they're somehow connected to Angel Island IIRC.

Pretty curious myself, Nagus should be an interesting addition to the overall story arc if done well... though hope Mighty and Ray are back before too long

Say, that reminds me, when's the next Sonic Comic Origins coming out? we got Snively coming up right? also I wonder when(hopefully not if) we will get one on Mighty and Ray... incorporating Sonic Arcade and Knuckles' Chaotix elements could result in something interesting

Yeah, he's a pretty big mystery right now. Especially since he's got a species now, and they're somehow connected to Angel Island IIRC.

I don't think it was specifically said the trolls lived on/were connected to Angel Island, but rather that Relic was comparing the tech (Nocturnus tech?) there to similar systems developed and used by the trolls. I sort of took it as a Black Knight reference on par with Mercia becoming Avalon (there were trolls and crystal caves, and who's to say this universe's King Arthur legend wasn't inspired by these fantastic things on Mobius/Sonic's world?), but I might have misread that bit.

In any case, when the dust settles on the crossover, I will look forward to seeing what old Naugus has gotten up to since the reboot, and how he might get in the Freedom Fighters' way during the whole Shattered World Crisis (I'm sure we'll still be on that for a good while longer). Though it would be kind of nice if he gets a small cameo during all that.

Pretty curious myself, Nagus should be an interesting addition to the overall story arc if done well... though hope Mighty and Ray are back before too long

Say, that reminds me, when's the next Sonic Comic Origins coming out? we got Snively coming up right? also I wonder when(hopefully not if) we will get one on Mighty and Ray... incorporating Sonic Arcade and Knuckles' Chaotix elements could result in something interesting

I believe after Snively,Razor is getting his own Origins story. I would love to see Mighty and Ray get something, too. Maybe the Hooligans as well.

Dayum. So this crossover is happening at the same time as all the Sonic Unleashed shtick? How the hell is this NOT going to end up as a messy crossover with way too much happening?? o__o

• Boosted!

If there's one thing I'm really worried about is it seems like they are just trying to pack it all in just to say ''OH LOOK! THIS CROSSOVER IS SO MUCH BIGGER THAN THE LAST!!!! COME ON GUYS!!!! YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT''. I mean, we have Sigma, Wily, Eggman, the D6, Sonic Man, M'Egga Man, and the mind controlled Maverick Hunters/Robot Masters and that's all in the first seven parts.

That's not even getting into the role of Sticks, the Boom Cast (If they appear, because it would suck big time if Sticks is the only one who appears because she's a one note boring and annoying character), the Sega/Capcom random franchises cast, the Freedom Fighters, Sonic Unleashed, and now fucking hints for a Lost World Arc? This is a clusterfuck if I ever seen it and I really fear a lot of potential will be lost because they'll be to busy attempting to squeeze it into 12 issues when it needs 16 at the least.

@Ryan Sticks is most likely going to be the only Boom cast member in the story, specifically since she is it's sole major character not in any other Sonic franchise. I believe I heard SEGA got enough of Penders' bitchfits over Evil Sonic/Scourge and the idea of "him 'owning' the idea of alternate versions of characters and a multiverse" that they actively discourage any multiple Sonics crossing over in the book. So no Scourge/Scourge-equivilant, no Zone Cops/equivilant, no alternate Tails, Knuckles, or Amys. Mega Man seems free from this tho.

As for Origins, next up is Nicole's in the next Super Special. Then I believe it's Snively and then Razor and possibly Naugus last for now.

And for how potentially bloated Worlds Unite might become... eh... I don't think the other Capcom & SEGA-Sammy franchises will play that much role in the story, all said. I mean, UDON pretty much has a lock on most of the current non-Mega Man Capcom stuff like Street Fighters and I also wanna say they still have the license for Darkstalkers as well.

The Lost World portion probably won't last more than the Fighters mini-arc anyways, since unless SEGA gave Archie & Flynn permission to expand on it, there's not much backstory about Lost Hex other than the Deadly Six to explore anyways. Again, IIRC.

• Thumbs Up 1

The non-Sonic/Mega Man worlds are probably going to get an issue or so each. Like the heroes will be chasing the bad guys through each universe or something to that effect, and I guess the characters from those worlds join in since they'll probably take part in the final battle.

The possibility of LW being adapted in middle of all this bothers me. Unleashed's ongoing arc looks like it isn't even close to ending just yet, maybe even going through to the 25th, which I'm okay with but...I'd honestly rather wait for LW later on and give it it's own time, I guess. It worked for Sonic the Fighters, but...ehhhh...

Edited by Celestia

I'm pretty sure Ian said something about some of the SegaSonic characters, even Pre-Adventure characters like Mighty and Ray, being a case-by-case situation because SEGA of course. I'll try and find a source, but I can't remember if i read it on his board or he said it on a Podcast.

EDIT; Here, it was actually in response to my question *lol*

As for Origins, next up is Nicole's in the next Super Special. Then I believe it's Snively and then Razor and possibly Naugus last for now.

Nicole's came out last week.

Oh yeah, guess that slipped under the radar because of the whole site outage didn't it?

Well, the story didn't really have anything to write home about. It was all Nicole reflecting on how she initially found it hard to live alongside her friends and overcame it (not really much about her actual origin to cover since SoL already did all that).

The only new piece of info worth mentioning is that Antoine's parents have since died.

• Boosted!

Speaking of which, Archie seriously packed Digest 11 to the brim.

There's over 5 full stories and over 6 back up stories, including Knuckleduster, all three parts of Light in the Dark, Parts 1 & 2 of Treasure Team Tango, Part 4 of Waves of Change, and the entire Total Eclipse arc. There's easily over 120 pages.

and the entire Total Eclipse arc.

Ah, no, just parts 1 and 2 xD

As packed as it was, the fact it was all recent stories again really rather dampened it.

• Boosted!

Ah, no, just parts 1 and 2 xD

As packed as it was, the fact it was all recent stories again really rather dampened it.

Really? Sonic News Network has all four parts listed as being in the Digest.

I do agree with you though. I'm getting sick of the only stories being featured are all recent  The Digest and Super Special Magazine is meant to be taking stories from all of Archie Sonic's history, not just one year of it. 

Well, they're probably barred from reprinting most things pre-Ian because of the nature of the Magazine and Digest market so there's about 13 years gone, and with the reboot making most of the other stuff moot there's going to be an emphasis on the last two years compared to the other years. Not saying the other years aren't possible, but with the Digests and Magazine acting as a sort of comic advertising vehicle towards a non-comic reader, they'll want to direct them to more current stuff for purchase. 

• Boosted!

On Another Note, Digest 11's stories are as follows:

In total, there are 17 stories. 

Exclusives: 1

Full Stories: 8

Back Ups: 8

Exclusives:

Sonic Comic Origins: Nicole

Full Stories:

Knuckleduster (Sonic Boom #2)

Waves of Change Part 4 (Sonic #263)

Treasure Team Tango Part 1 & 2 (Sonic Universe #21-#22)

Total Eclipse Parts 1 & 2 (Sonic Universe #67-68)

Control Parts 1 & 2 (Sonic #264-265)

Back Ups:

The Grand Tour (Sonic #265)

The Light in the Dark Parts 1-3 (Sonic #260-262)

Consequences (Sonic #263)

Sonic Dash (Sonic Super Super Special Magazine #10)

A Good Day To Start Again (Sonic #264)

Sonic Generations (Sonic #230)

That reminds me, I was looking back through "The Grand Tour" and I can't believe I never noticed this before: Bunnie was drawn with cheek fuzz. What's weird is that "A Good Day to Start Again" (also reprinted in the issue, originally printed before the latter and also had James Fry doing the art) she's drawn without it.

Oh this reboot just keeps getting better doesn't it?

All I need right now is Conquering Storm brought back as a Chun-nan Egg Boss, and I'll be content for a long ass while...or at least until I catch a fumble in the storytelling.

Hmm.... well, I'll have to actually read the issue, but right now, I don't have any particular objections to that plot detail just yet. 

On one hand, it's interesting that Nicole gets a Super Form which at least means that Blaze isn't the only female with one.

On the other, I'm just hoping that it's used sparingly, and isn't an indication of Super Forms getting handed out to the FF's all willy-nilly.

And I'm reminded just how much it sucks that Ian can't bring back Hyper Knuckles or Super Tails due to SEGA mandate.

I doubt that. They'd have to make a lot of ass pulls to give superforms out so easily like that. Which is telling, because they could have easily done so in the old reality.

I think we can trust the writers not to do that tho. Besides, a red power ring isn't exactly on the same level as a Chaos or Sol Emerald, so I wouldn't expect Overclocked NICOLE's power to be on the same level as Super Sonic, Shadow, or Burning Blaze.

It's a nice idea, though I'm divided in the name- I like its idea, but it's really clunky-sounding. Wonder if there could've been some sort of digital-related term they could've used that'd be smaller, flow better with the sound of Nicole, and maybe even alliterate.

Don't like the design, though. Eeech those red-ring details look gaudy :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I weird for preferring Archie's design for Super Tails over the SEGA one? You know, the one with the cape? Semi-off topic, but Super Tails was brought up...

It was admittedly a lot more unique and fitting Tails' more childlike character. I could see many other renditions such as the Boom version taking a shine to it just fine.

As for Universe, an interesting twist, would have liked if the design looked a bit different to Blaze's however. Given NICOLE's form, surely something could have been made out of it.

I agree with KKM that I would have preferred an alliterative name to go with the theme of Sonic, Shadow, Silver and Blaze's super forms, but overclocked makes sense at least. It just doesn't roll of the tongue as well.

I do like the idea that its essentially an overdrive mode for Nicole though.