Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Don't know if it's the correct explanation, but it would make sense so far as we're going with Matrix rules.

Actually, I've read more thorough spoilers, and that's not what they do at all. My mistake. Ellidy is attacked and puts a red ring on Nicole's computer console as a last resort. So it's less an allusion to Nicole talking about Matrix rules, and more an allusion to Sally thinking about upgrading Nicole to a red ring to make her battery last longer, except it looks like that plan wouldn't work because super forms and their equivalents burn batteries way, way quicker.

Also sounds like as soon as she turns overclocked, Phage is beat in one panel. Oh.

Edit: Okay, so Sally's plan wasn't related to Nicole, she tried to give herself superspeed, and it sounds like it failed. Nice planning, princess.

Okay. So we still have logical consistency.

All's well then.

namely the evangelion reference wasn't intentional

not worth following the link, I just gave you the most important bit there

I was going to construct a snarky reply to that about the appreciation of old continuity concepts over the animes.

Instead, an urgent update off the Twitter grapevine. Basically, Shard's gone.

Madonna in the Sonic comics?!

There really isn't any stone left unturned with this series is there? Wow. I'm impressed!

...Well. That's a character I never expected we would see in any form again.

...Well. That's a character I never expected we would see in any form again.

That would imply she ever appeared at all, she was just a concept character. Not much of an appearance.

IMstead, an urgent update off the Twitter grapevine. Basically, Shard's gone.

How in the fuck?!

No, seriously. How is Shard even remotely connected like that?

Shard's power stone was a concept introduced by Ken Penders. As has been proven by Scourge, it doesn't matter how generic or minor the idea is. It is Penders, and thus, it is poison because that screaming ninny thinks anything that even vaguely resembles something he used is infringement.

Shard's power stone was a concept introduced by Ken Penders. As has been proven by Scourge, it doesn't matter how generic or minor the idea is. It is Penders, and thus, it is poison because that screaming ninny thinks anything that even vaguely resembles something he used is infringement.

But that makes even less since here (then again, so does everything else).

Like really, even changing Shard's power source to something Penders doesn't own isn't enough? Just wow...

• Thumbs Up 1

Like really, even changing Shard's power source to something Penders doesn't own isn't enough? Just wow...

This is the same guy who would raise a stink over something as generic and overused as multiverse theory as applied to Sonic, because somehow according to him, HE owns the idea of Sonic existing in parallel worlds. Penders is a miserable weasel who would raise a stink about anything if it even vaguely resembles something he introduced, no matter how minor, how insignificant. 

Any replacement at all he could argue was just an 'obvious stand-in' for the power stone concept that he introduced, which was later utilized in the issue that would eventually lead to Shard. It doesn't matter if nothing else was done with it by him; he introduced it, therefore it is his, and therefore somehow Shard would be infringing.

No, it doesn't make much sense, but you know just as well that neither Archie nor SEGA wants anything at all to start him squawking at this point. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You're talking about the same guy who wanted do sue Bioware because they had echidna characters. Are you honestly surprised Archie would be at least a bit paranoid about bringing Shard back?

Thats fucked, thats really fucked y'know?

That was 1 character I was hoping that it avoided the bullshit ban due to its lore as a metal sonic, but no thanks to that stupid gem a whole character has to be cut instead of worked around.

That just really burns me, I waited months to hear an answer about this character. just wish he said no from the start instead of all this dickpulling for months on end.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was going to construct a snarky reply to that about the appreciation of old continuity concepts over the animes.

Well, this is a bummer, seriously. Not even an expy that doesn't involve something like that Power Gem can suffice?

You're talking about the same guy who wanted do sue Bioware because they had echidna characters. Are you honestly surprised Archie would be at least a bit paranoid about bringing Shard back?

In this case, yes.

Because barring the Power Gem, everything about Shard is too close to Sega's material that he couldn't easily lay claim to. Hearing this blows my mind how far this seems to go.

With the Nocturnus tribe in Chronicles, Penders at least had a leg to stand in regarding something influenced by what he did. Here is the exact opposite given it's based on what Sega did, the only thing of Penders being that gem that could easily be replaced by a ring...yet it's out of the question. The fuck?!

Honestly, as much as I like Shard, I personally think that there are other potential anti-Eggman robots that could turn into something more interesting than in part being a sonic expy. Heck, my ideal concept is Mecha Sonic(S3&K), having a free personality that he absorbed the base of during his contact with the master Emerald, being a partial copy of both Tikal, and Knux. His powers, combined with not really seeking battle, but wanting to help, would be rather interesting. And despite being similar to Shard, not only would that not be a copy, but an interesting alternate path

That just really burns me, I waited months to hear an answer about this character. just wish he said no from the start instead of all this dickpulling for months on end.

Well, it's more than likely that Flynn didn't know until recently either, until Archie and/or SEGA finally told him that Kenders' wide margin of 'copywritable characters & concepts' would include the idea of a now good former-Metal Sonic.

At least it wasn't another Scourge problem where Ian DID say there was hope for, only for that to be dashed.

Just chalk it up to another instance of "Screw you Penders, you greedy f*ck".

At least it wasn't another Scourge problem where Ian DID say there was hope for, only for that to be dashed.

Actually, he kinda did give the impression that there was hope back in February and April of last year on a different site.

Well, it's more than likely that Flynn didn't know until recently either, until Archie and/or SEGA finally told him that Kenders' wide margin of 'copywritable characters & concepts' would include the idea of a now good former-Metal Sonic.

Just chalk it up to another instance of "Screw you Penders, you greedy f*ck".

Thats just it, he should have said no to everything instead of this maybe/maybe not crap, it got our fucking hopes up only for them to be kicked back down with each passing twitter or forum comment.

Expect nothing, thats the only thing I'm getting now from him. Shard coming back was my last hope of ever seeing any sort of character from the old series come back in any sort of way now no matter how improbable it seems Penders owns them all, it sickens me greatly.

Well isn't that just absolutely dandy?  After all the waiting, the hoping and anticipating, we end up finding Shard binned after all.  So much for all these fan theories we've been cooking up.  They're all for nothing. 

What really burns me about this is that I really had some faith in him coming back of all the comic created characters.  Couldn't a change in power source make things acceptable?  Is he really that far gone thanks to one, microscopic bit of influence from Penders that it would be easy to get rid of said influence? 

The toxic touch of Ken Penders knows no bounds does it? 

Again, remember this doesn't have to make any legal sense. The fear isn't Penders taking them to court again and winning, the fear is Penders taking them to court again forcing them to waste more money and goodwill.

I imagine at most we might end up with some sort of expy.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's really an argument of "is it worth it?"

Is it really worth the time and effort to try to sneak in stand-ins to bring back some, in the grand scheme of things, very minor characters back, despite fan popularity? Penders will get a hair up his ass, smell the money, and try to sue.

Sure, Penders does this kinda stuff, obviously, look at The Praetorian who's an obvious stand-in for Knuckles. But really, Penders has little to nothing to lose with no masters to call the shot. While, on the flip side, Archie does have its masters and far more to lose.

There's just little point to it. Not that I like iit, even if I don't care much for Shard, but I get it.

• Thumbs Up 1