Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

megaman-50var1-126979.jpg

Celebrate 50 issues of Mega Man with the latest chapter in the globe-smashing SONIC/MEGA MAN crossover event! "Worlds Unite" Part Four: Act One comes to its mind-blowing conclusion! Sigma’s plan reaches its first stage, and the worlds of Sonic and Mega Man have fused!  It’s definitely going to take more than one hero to stop the threat from the future—maybe even ten!  Sonic, Mega Man, X, Sticks, the Freedom Fighters, Robot Masters and Maverick Hunters—UNITE!  PLUS: Stick around for a special bonus anniversary story as Mega Man and X meet for the first time!  Featuring a wrap-around cover from the legendary Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante! PLUS 5 variant covers from Edwin Huang, Irvin Rodriguez, Patrick Thomas Parnell, Roger & Idalia Robinson and part 4 of the epic 12-part connecting variant cover series by artist Ben Bates!

Ok.

SONIC UNIVERSE #77

The next exciting chapter in the SONIC/MEGA MAN "WORLDS UNITE" crossover event starts here! "Worlds Unite" Part Five: The worlds of Sonic and Mega Man have been joined together by Sigma, and it’s going to take a full-on army of unified heroes to make it right!  Actually—scratch that—it’s going to take some heroes AND some villains! When the mysterious and malicious Xander Payne inexplicably arrives with Drs. Eggman and Wily in tow, our heroes get new insight into Sigma’s plans! Featuring cover art from the legendary Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante and variant cover art from CLAUS-Justin Harder (Thor: the Dark World, SNL) and part 5 of the epic 12-part connecting variant cover series by artist Ben Bates!

Wait, what?

sonicboom-9var-126992.jpg

SONIC BOOM #9

The SONIC/MEGA MAN crossover event GOES BOOM! "Worlds Unite" Part Six: The war against Sigma has been waged!  Sonic, Mega Man and X lead their unified friends against hordes of mechaniloids led by the armored, super-powered Deadly Six!  That sounds pretty scary and exciting, and now is definitely the time for everyone to work together and pay close attention. Especially Sticks. She tends to do some distracting stuff, like falling off the Sky Patrol and landing into a Genesis Portal or something—wait? Did she really? Well, where did she land?  No way!  Is that - -?! You won't believe where Sticks lands, but what you BETTER believe is that this issue sports some awesome cover art by Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante and the return of the EVIL FRIENDS FOREVER (E.F.F.) variant by Brent McCarthy! Plus part 6 of the epic 12-part connecting variant cover series by artist Ben Bates!

So this is where the Sega/Capcom Universe jumping begins..

sonic-274-126985.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #274

The heroes of the SONIC/MEGA MAN crossover event: AT WAR?! "Worlds Unite" Part Seven: The unified army is not so unified anymore!  What has driven Mega Man, X and their robot companions to attack Sonic and the Freedom Fighters?  Drs. Eggman and Wily may have the answer!  Or a weapon.  Could a weapon be the answer?  Or is it more trademark treachery?  Meanwhile, Sigma grows in power, preparing for the next phase of his master plan! And speaking of masters, this issue features cover art from master-artist Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante, a CG-SLUGFEST Variant cover from Rafa Knight and part 7 of the epic 12-part connecting variant cover series by artist Ben Bates!

Looks like the Deadly Six can control Mega Man and his friends...

That Sonic Universe cover

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

And what are the Deadly Six wearing?

Whatever they are, they have Sigma's symbol on them. In case we already didn't know they were working for the guy.

So some thoughts:

-Alright, it really does look like we're getting Sticks for Boom representation. I'll deal with that.

-So Eggman and Wily somehow got away and are going to help the heroes alongside Xander Payne? Interesting.

-I'm guessing Sticks going through those Genesis Portals is going to rally more of those franchises and bring them in to help fight Sigma.

-The robot good guys suddenly going bad is obviously the work of the Deadly Six.

Looks like we might see a giant Maverick slam-fest to follow up the Robot Master one from the first crossover. Sweet! Though, it's not going to be quite the same without Ben Bates' art. (His art for the connecting covers makes up for it, though. They SERIOUSLY need to sell a poster of that!)

• Thumbs Up 1

Whoa, 100 pages just disappeared

Seeing Guile there makes me happy, I'm glad it's not just Ryu crossing over. Really hope Chun-Li makes an appearance too. 

Has there been any indication Blaze or Silver will show up in this crossover? Or the Chaotix?

And here's yet another example of how greedy Archie is getting with variants. I knew once we saw this bullshit happening with Sonic Universe 75, it would continue with Mega Man. Should we expect 27.5 covers for Sonic #275 next?

At least Archie will never have 100 different covers like Star Wars #1, right?

Don't speak too soon. 

And here's yet another example of how greedy Archie is getting with variants. I knew once we saw this bullshit happening with Sonic Universe 75, it would continue with Mega Man. Should we expect 27.5 covers for Sonic #275 next?

You could just, ya know, not buy 'em.

Seriously, all this complaining about variants is getting tiring.

• Thumbs Up 6

You could just, ya know, not buy 'em.

Seriously, all this complaining about variants is getting tiring.

Exactly. You buy 'em or you don't that's your own buisiness there is no reason to go around and start complaining. Keep it to yourself or use the status updates.

Welp, there goes my attempts to catch up with the thread naturally with the loss of like 100 pages.

Looking forward to Worlds Unite actually. Personally, I'm not too bothered by the number of variants that much.

But if the did something like 'After The Credits Month' with them, THEN I'd get pissed. That sh*t was infuriating to see.

• Thumbs Up 2

Really? So basically we're dismissing my point because ''you don't have to buy it''? I'm sorry but no, that does not excuse what is a completely shitty practice that is only designed to squeeze more money out of collectors. 

On top of that, How about back last year when After the Credits happened? No one here had to buy any of the comics, and yet we all still complained and called it out for the shitty practice that it is. Which it is, it's a shitty practice. So it's suddenly ok to call out one shitty practice but I can't call out another one? 

How about we take it further. No one here needed to buy Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric, yet we all complained after seeing a stream 2 weeks before release. No one here needed to buy Assassin's Creed Unity or The Crew yet we all still complained about how broken they were at release. Why? Because it's nothing but a terrible practice.

But suddenly, it's wrong to call out another crappy practice? Despite the fact we all did the same thing at least twice in the last year, both of which was Sonic related?

Just for the record. I don't get variants. The artwork might be pretty but having one every single issue and then they decided to start doing even more is nothing but a crappy practice.. With 5 different covers for Sonic Boom #1, 9 different covers for Universe #75 (One regular cover, 8 variants), and now 6 different variants for Mega Man #50? At the end of the day, one of these damn things cost around £3/$3.99, For all 6 Mega Man covers, that's £18/$23.94, and for what? 6 different covers and nothing else? That money alone could buy 2 graphic novels of Sonic.

I can understand the anger about variant practices.

Personally, when I see that a book I get has a reg and a variant cover, I just choose what cover I like the best. Never saw much point in buying multiple issues for different covers.

The ONLY time I've broken this practice of mine is with DC's Multiversity variants, since I'm trying to get all of the "History of the Multiverse" covers and some times my LCS didn't have them, making me go to eBay. But other than that, yeah not much point.

I could understand your point if they were still the really lazy game art variants, but so far these new variants have been pretty cool. And even if you don't want to buy them it just means more content, since you don't have to pay to see the covers unlike after the credits stuff. 

It's not the idea of the After The Credits month that was bad, it just could've been done better.If they bring it back, keep the After The Credits feature the same in both the standard and variant covers.

I don't see an issue with the After the Credits thing as a bad thing because they literally did it ONCE.

If they did it every month then I'd understand the irritation (from a non-collectors point of view that is), but if they did it as a special, every once in a while event, I wouldn't mind.

Cool. Look at all the comics I can't get. Due to some licensing change or some crap all the orders for Archie comics in Australia have been cancelled and they are unable to get any in according to all my local comic stores. Furthermore Archie don't even wanna respond to any of tjeir attempts to email them about fixing this. Top quality business sense right there.

The reason they've only done it once is the reason I don't hate it as much as I should.

But it still doesn't make After the Credits a good idea, since it exasperates the problems that variants have when they go beyond 1:>5 or so. Imagine After the Credits for a book with five variants for example.

But as I've said, they've only done it once, and with books with only one variant. That would be the ONLY excusable way to do this idea.

@The-Master-Board: Well... if all else fails, you could try to buy online or get digital copies.

Edited by biznizz

Sweet, the site is up again.

And hot damn, Bates is going crazy with that Combined variant artwork, I know he's gonna post it up on Deviantart eventually anyway so I'm in no hurry to collect them all.

@biznizz Yeah looks like eBay is the way. Just annoying to organise and with all the varients is gonna be a nightmare. The fact Archie haven't even bothered to respond or try fix it is just annoying.

And I don't do digital stuff. If I wanna own stuff I wanna own it. Plus we all see how reliable non physical stuff can be, looking at ssmb loss of forum data. Yeah I don't trust/feel like digital stuff can even compare to holding something in your hands.