Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I'm amazed how much discussion can be generated just from the naming of Sonic's planet.  Does it really matter?  I mean, I'm pretty sure I'd use the terms "The world" and "Our world" more often then calling it Earth. 

I'm amazed how much discussion can be generated just from the naming of Sonic's planet.  Does it really matter?  I mean, I'm pretty sure I'd use the terms "The world" and "Our world" more often then calling it Earth. 

Well, I mostly have a problem because up to this point it was called Mobius, but now all of a sudden we're told it's been changed to Sonic's world and I don't see the need for it. I get that Mobius wouldn't fit the new SEGA-esque universe considering they only called it Mobius in the old cartoons, but just not naming it seems extremely lazy to me.

No-one can complain "why isn't the planet Mobius" "why isn't the planet Earth" when the planet is not named at all. Which shouldn't even affect dialogue- in normal human speech no-one mentions the name of the planet often. The comic did it before because when the planet has a specific name, the tendency is to overuse it.

EDIT: I mean hell, what's Mario's planet named? What's Pokémon's planet named? What's Mega Man's? (yes I know Mega Man's the Earth but the point is exactly that- since we know it's the Earth, no-one ever mentions it)

• Thumbs Up 2

EDIT: I mean hell, what's Mario's planet named? What's Pokémon's planet named? What's Mega Man's? (yes I know Mega Man's the Earth but the point is exactly that- since we know it's the Earth, no-one ever mentions it)

Technically isn't Pokémon set on Earth...? I mean, most games have referenced real world places and all (Mew discovered in Guyana, Lt. Surge said to be an American soldier, etc.); though that may or may not have been retconned given no one's bothered to really explain the geography of the Pokémon world, but anyway....

But yeah, it doesn't really matter at this point. I'd rather SoJ kept some consistency with what they've done in the past and just called the planet "Earth" as they always had, but it's not really a big deal one way or the other.

Technically isn't Pokémon set on Earth...?

Do they ever mention it? Do they ever say "hi this is Planet Earth"?

Or, what I should actually be asking, much like with Mega Man- do they ever NEED to mention it?

What's the name of the planet Hyrule is set in? What's the name of the planet Portal is set in? Etc.

Even on the period where Sonic happened on Earth, let's call it that- from 1998 to 2008- how many times do they actually name it so? I remember it a couple of times in Adventure 2. Maybe a couple of times too on UnleasheD? I mostly remember people saying "planet, world". Since, you know, that's how people talk, since everyone assumes you already know the planet's name.

SoJ tried consistency with the past and it was a headache. So now they simplified it.

Do they ever mention it? Do they ever say "hi this is Planet Earth"?

I only brought it up because there's plenty of stuff in-game that suggests it's based on Earth. It doesn't really need mention when it's some kind of Earth analogue. And we've already clarified it's not a big deal, I was just asking out of genuine curiosity and mentioned a few things that point toward it being Earth; I may be misreading your tone, but chill out. You seem to think I care much more than I actually do.

SoJ tried consistency with the past and it was a headache. So now they simplified it.

The only reason it was a headache was because Western fans got bent out of shape over "Eggman" and "Robotnik," and other absurd things that no one really cares about anymore. You can still refer to the planet as "Earth" as a general thing without needing to bring it up in conversation all the time. Why? Because it's the name of the planet. It doesn't need to be mentioned constantly, but it's still the name.

I'm chill, was just adding more examples/further clarifying my point.

No problem, you just came off as condescending for a simple question that you basically didn't bother to answer because of a larger point you had.

But really, I'm tired of this particular subject that's never meant a thing in the first place. I should probably write up my impressions for 256 as I've finally read it and move the discussion back toward the actual story.

We know the name of Mario's Planet. It's called Mushroom World and it's a different planet from Earth, which still exist in the Marioverse. Just saying.

Source? I have NEVER heard of that before!?

The Pokemon world is know as "the world of Pokemon" well that's what they call it in every movie, not by an actual name

That's infesting, I had nobodies there were so many places on it! I always assume it was another of those "unnamed" worlds that you play on.

Although that is mainly because they never mention the name in the games, probably the same reason SoJ don't feel like they need to give the planet a name

We know the name of Mario's Planet. It's called Mushroom World and it's a different planet from Earth, which still exist in the Marioverse. Just saying.

But where's the proof that Mushroom World is another planet entirely and not just a parallel Earth?

Source? I have NEVER heard of that before!?

The Pokemon world is know as "the world of Pokemon" well that's what they call it in every movie, not by an actual name

I believe Junichi Masuda clarified that the games set on an alternate version of Earth. Anyway, the anime (and by extension the movies) are non-canon.

But where's the proof that Mushroom World is another planet entirely and not just a parallel Earth?

Actually according to the article posted....it's both...how does that work?!

That's infesting, I had nobodies there were so many places on it! I always assume it was another of those "unnamed" worlds that you play on.

Although that is mainly because they never mention the name in the games, probably the same reason SoJ don't feel like they need to give the planet a name

They used to call it Earth, back in SA2. But I dunno what happened with that, now.

They used to call it Earth, back in SA2. But I dunno what happened with that, now.

I know, when I said games I meant Mario games. Anyway I can see why, no one in real life calls it by Earth in casual conversation, so ican see why the comic continuity won't need a name for it

So the planet's official name is literally "Sonic's World"? But that doesn't make any sense! If Sonic is so important that he has an entire planet named after him, why does nobody in Unleashed know who he is?

People heard stories about him.

Gregorios knew who he was, but didn't recognize him as the Werehog.

Then again, neither than Amy.

The only time I've been confused over the whole planet's name thing is in Colours when Eggman, bizarrely, refers to it as "Sonic's world". I've headcanon'd it as Eggman feeling he doesn't belong in his own world or something which is both depressing and darkly hilarious. Other than that I just figure it's called Earth, but obviously the name of the planet isn't going to come up very often. The only time I remember for sure is one instance (maybe more?) in SA2.

So anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing Ian's take on Unleashed, it's a great excuse for Sonic and co. to travel this new world. We'll probably see Chip soon enough, considering the whole Dark Gaia thing, but I wonder how he'll be introduced? Since the Werehog was already set up/foreshadowed, Sonic doesn't need Eggman to transform him and throw him from a space station. :V

Since the Werehog was already set up/foreshadowed, Sonic doesn't need Eggman to transform him and throw him from a space station. :V

So no Eggman owning the hell out of Super Sonic, huh? :(

...seriously? THAT'S ACTUALLY what the planet in the games is called?!

*stoopid.gif not found*

Sonic's World is obviously Earth. Sonic is a dictator and he rules the whole planet with his friends. Eggman is just trying to free it.

• Thumbs Up 7

The only time I've been confused over the whole planet's name thing is in Colours when Eggman, bizarrely, refers to it as "Sonic's world". I've headcanon'd it as Eggman feeling he doesn't belong in his own world or something which is both depressing and darkly hilarious. Other than that I just figure it's called Earth, but obviously the name of the planet isn't going to come up very often. The only time I remember for sure is one instance (maybe more?) in SA2.

So anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing Ian's take on Unleashed, it's a great excuse for Sonic and co. to travel this new world. We'll probably see Chip soon enough, considering the whole Dark Gaia thing, but I wonder how he'll be introduced? Since the Werehog was already set up/foreshadowed, Sonic doesn't need Eggman to transform him and throw him from a space station. :V

You know, this talk about the Unleashed adaption has got me thinking. Ever since the reboot, the world has no longer been referred to as Mobius. I'm guessing it's implied we are in the planet Unleashed is set in. Now, from what we know according to Sonic Super Digest (if that counts) and future solicits that Professor Pickle is in Sonic's world. With that in mind, do you think we'll be seeing other humans from Unleashed in the comic? As for Chip, my best guess is that they'll find him asleep in a Gaia temple and he'll awaken once the Chaos emerald is put in place. I can't think of any other way they could introduce him to the story.