Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I don't see why Sonic couldn't have just been born with super speed. What's wrong with that? Its better than some crazy theory that Dr. Kintobor accidentally transformed Sonic into a supersonic hedgehog and himself into a maniacal madman. That whole story is completely and totally ridiculous. Sonic just naturally being super fast? That's something special. That makes him unique.

Why do we NEED to have a reason for Sonic having super speed? We don't need to contrive reasons for why he's so fast. That's why I like Sonic versus a character like The Flash (or most "Superheroes" in general). The X-Men are something on a similar basis and I tend to like them better than average "Superheroes" because most of them were born with their special powers which I think makes them stand out more.

It does seem that characters in Sonic's universe are generally fast in their own rights for the most part, but Sonic is special in his own way. Shadow is questionable. He rivals Sonic in speed, but it seems to be either based on his air shoes or he can run fine on his own but the Air Shoes make him a tad bit faster than Sonic.

His "creation" I'm also questioning; I personally think his "creation" may be closer to FFVII than what we've come to believe due to specific circumstances (such as Project Shadow only being finished shortly before the Ark was attacked but him knowing Maria for a long time), and he either gained super speed through this process or he was born with it.

The way I see it, Blaze's entire presence in that game is such an irreconcileable mess (it's very likely she was thrown in for fanservice with little thought otherwise put into her; see the aforementioned skewd backstory and how she's essentially a Companion Cube until the end) that everyone is simply just better off forgetting about it and sticking to her more commonly-used Rush origin.

Which Sonic Team seems to be doing anyway...

And that line of hers is probably meant to be indicative of nothing, considering Generations's "plot" is largely an excuse to revisit older levels.

Its not irreconcileable. It is a mess, true, because the whole game was a mess. My point is, just because they did a horrible job of telling the story doesn't mean that it didn't have potential. Its like how people complain about the characters being bad because they are portrayed badly in other games. The characters in of themselves aren't bad. They just are used badly.

I hate how people always shit on Elise for everything. Did they use her badly? Yes, absolutely yes. Did she have potential? Also yes. I think she had an interesting backstory. Pretty much the only thing I hate about it is the notion that the "Flames of Disaster" will be released from her if she cries. (The falling in love with Sonic bit isn't part of her backstory and that was also wretched and shouldn't have been in the game.)

I for one wouldn't mind seeing Elise pop up in another game if she's portrayed properly and doesn't take over the story, like, the characters have to visit Soleanna and she's just there. Its never going to happen, of course.

I know the game happened, but her backstory is non-canon. It's been confirmed that she's simply from an alternate dimension and not the future.

It's a mess, but that's what we have. 

I don't recall hearing this ever. My thought is still that the timeline reset left her stuck in the alternate dimension. If Sonic '06 is canon, the timeline reset happened and the events of the game did not, but Blaze appears in Sonic '06 which is canon, she was in the future in that timeline. I dunno, maybe during the timeline reset Blaze was born in an alternate dimension instead or something.

It can be resolved if Sega chooses to do so rather than selectively retconing certain events.

EDIT: On that note, I wonder: how does Ian Flynn have this planned out for Archie's Sonic? That would be interesting to know. Of course the Archie Comics have far more contrived storyline twists as well.

I don't recall hearing this ever. 

It was said by Iizuka at one of the Sonic Booms, I think 2012. 

I don't recall hearing this ever. My thought is still that the timeline reset left her stuck in the alternate dimension. If Sonic '06 is canon, the timeline reset happened and the events of the game did not, but Blaze appears in Sonic '06 which is canon, she was in the future in that timeline. I dunno, maybe during the timeline reset Blaze was born in an alternate dimension instead or something.

Sonic Boom 2012:

http://youtu.be/JsCFy9Vzujc?t=3m1s

I don't see why Sonic couldn't have just been born with super speed. What's wrong with that? Its better than some crazy theory that Dr. Kintobor accidentally transformed Sonic into a supersonic hedgehog and himself into a maniacal madman. That whole story is completely and totally ridiculous. Sonic just naturally being super fast? That's something special. That makes him unique.

Why do we NEED to have a reason for Sonic having super speed? We don't need to contrive reasons for why he's so fast. That's why I like Sonic versus a character like The Flash (or most "Superheroes" in general). The X-Men are something on a similar basis and I tend to like them better than average "Superheroes" because most of them were born with their special powers which I think makes them stand out more.

It does seem that characters in Sonic's universe are generally fast in their own rights for the most part, but Sonic is special in his own way. Shadow is questionable. He rivals Sonic in speed, but it seems to be either based on his air shoes or he can run fine on his own but the Air Shoes make him a tad bit faster than Sonic.

His "creation" I'm also questioning; I personally think his "creation" may be closer to FFVII than what we've come to believe due to specific circumstances (such as Project Shadow only being finished shortly before the Ark was attacked but him knowing Maria for a long time), and he either gained super speed through this process or he was born with it.

Its not irreconcileable. It is a mess, true, because the whole game was a mess. My point is, just because they did a horrible job of telling the story doesn't mean that it didn't have potential. Its like how people complain about the characters being bad because they are portrayed badly in other games. The characters in of themselves aren't bad. They just are used badly.

I hate how people always shit on Elise for everything. Did they use her badly? Yes, absolutely yes. Did she have potential? Also yes. I think she had an interesting backstory. Pretty much the only thing I hate about it is the notion that the "Flames of Disaster" will be released from her if she cries. (The falling in love with Sonic bit isn't part of her backstory and that was also wretched and shouldn't have been in the game.)

I for one wouldn't mind seeing Elise pop up in another game if she's portrayed properly and doesn't take over the story, like, the characters have to visit Soleanna and she's just there. Its never going to happen, of course.

It can be resolved if Sega chooses to do so rather than selectively retconing certain events.

EDIT: On that note, I wonder: how does Ian Flynn have this planned out for Archie's Sonic? That would be interesting to know. Of course the Archie Comics have far more contrived storyline twists as well.

I think that (and it's kind of backed up by Generations and Dash) Shadow's speed is "Natural" like Sonic, but he can't exactly control it properly or something like Sonic can, so his speed is channeled through his Inhibitor Rings (on his ankles) into his Hover Shoes. It's backed up by Generations and Dash because of the boost. When Sonic boosts, he uses the stored energy collected from the Rings to power himself up like in SatAM and X. Shadow's boost is most likely the same thing, but since his speed is channeled through his shoes, the same energy that would be in Sonic's legs is instead blasted out of Shadow's shoes, causing him to "fly". 

Someone should really work out the physics and real world rational of a Sonic game for laughs one day. How does Tails fly? Wouldn't his tails get wrapped up and come to a screeching half? How does Knuckles glide with just his dreads to support him? How is Ray a flying squirrel without the "wing" flaps that the real species has? Why doesn't Tails eat Sonic?

Well written and with funny diagrams it could be rather amusing.

Someone should really work out the physics and real world rational of a Sonic game for laughs one day. How does Tails fly? Wouldn't his tails get wrapped up and come to a screeching half? How does Knuckles glide with just his dreads to support him? How is Ray a flying squirrel without the "wing" flaps that the real species has? Why doesn't Tails eat Sonic?

Well written and with funny diagrams it could be rather amusing.

I apply Tails' flying to chaos energy.

Knuckles' dreads are just that strong and thick

Ray does have wing-flaps

Ray does have wing-flaps

Oh my mistake, as hard as it is to see he does in the original art as little as there is of it. You don't see it in Archie that often tho. Granted he's wearing clothes a lot in that, but there are a lot of panels where he has no shirt and there is nothing via able under his arms. Artists mistake I imagine.

As for Knuckles, thick dreads or no it's not aerodynamic in any sense of the word. A Rasta jumping off a roof is not gunna glide. And Tails...yeah "magic" or Chaos Energy is a convenient excuse but how does it stop his tails getting tangled exactly?

Oh he does too in the original art as little as there is. You don't see it in Archie that often tho. Granted he's wearing clothes a lot in that, but there are a lot of panels where he has no shirt and there is nothing via able under his arms. Artists mistake I imagine.

He has his Wing-Flaps in Chaotix Quest (his most recent appearance.)

I always heard that Knux trapped air under his dreads to glide, can't remember if it was from a manual or something else

I always heard that Knux trapped air under his dreads to glide, can't remember if it was from a manual or something else

The original manual of Sonic 3 (and Knuckles) included this, that much I remember.

But you know, Sega logic: where Sonic characters have no neck and can still move their heads around like they have one.

Or in Sonic's case, what appeared to be one giant eye. Tho they more or less have fixed that up to an extent with the more recent designs. He's not a cyclops as much in the comics either, depends on the artist tho.

He has his Wing-Flaps in Chaotix Quest (his most recent appearance.)

Yep, he's always had them. I seem to remember someone hand-waving their absence by giving him the ability to retract them. We've even seen him fly without them in the comics a few times too.

The original manual of Sonic 3 (and Knuckles) included this, that much I remember.

But you know, Sega logic: where Sonic characters have no neck and can still move their heads around like they have one.

Yeah, about that...

xjwl.png

That's one small neck, surprising that it can hold up Sonic's large mono-eyed head. 

Come to think of it, Mario doesn't seem to have a neck either....and also Mickey Mouse.

Likely just a cartoony short character thing that all 3 have in common in their design or whatever, as the more taller and lankier characters in their series do have necks or something close to it..

Didn't see it posted, and subscribers or digital cats might not care, but here's a preview for Sonic Universe #60, due out this week: http://www.denofgeek.us/books-comics/sonic-the-hedgehog/232701/first-look-at-sonic-universe-60

Can't wait to pick this up myself.

SU #60 is already out. SU #61 is next.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

SU #60 is already out. SU #61 is next.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

It was delayed for comic shops, meaning Diamond didn't ship books when the issue was slated for release. It was already out on comiXology (presumably on the original release date) and subscribers likely got it before either. I posted the preview since, to my knowledge, it's only now circulating and I have no idea how many people have read the issue already.

I think the digital version was the first to show up. I should know since I downloaded and read it about 2 weeks ago, alongside SSSM #10 P;

I just got SU #60 in the mail earlier today. An interesting read.

Seeing Shadow turn on his friends again is something obviously most predicted, but now the thing that everyone will be picking at and speculating on for the time being is most likely one of two things. First, is Shadow really mind controlled and thinks he is one with them again, or is Shadow just playing along with them until he can get into the position to get the one up on them and then turns traitor when all his friends and such are in better positions. Either way are interesting scenarios of course.

Interesting. Wonder if the Freedom Fighters are gonna be kidnapped and put into a pinball machine like in the game?