Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

What do you mean?  Does you opinion matter to me?  Heck no.  I don't give a damn about you, except that I registered just for the express purpose of expressing my indignation at your egotism.

It isn't egotism, I'm rightfully upset that everything I loved about this comic has been taken away from me. And seriously, you joined this forum just so you could be a prick to me? That's pathetic, man.

You know who I miss?  He-Man.  I really loved Masters of the Universe, the reboot.  But it got cancelled, and we never got to see Hordak come back and Skeletor and He-Man team up.  That sucks, but you know what?  I got over it.  Because it doesn't really matter what I think.

That's different, though. When a series is cancelled, its universe theoretically continues, even if nothing that happens post-cancellation is official canon. In this case, there's a good chance that my favorite characters are canonically dead, and people are callously telling me to get over it without considering how it's impacting me!

The only thing I have total say over is Wichcaf Oinhev and the Hot Blue Hue available in North American bookstores in March 2015 *chaching*.

Well, now I know which book to avoid buying in the future.

No you wanna know something:  You've gotta divorce yourself from these franchises and learn to enjoy them on their terms rather than your own.

Sorry, but why exactly can't I enjoy something on my own terms? You aren't making any sense.

There's always fan projects.

Speaking of which, wasn't their a project on Bumbleking that was retelling Ian's original vision of the endangered species arc? hows that going?

Speaking of which, wasn't their a project on Bumbleking that was retelling Ian's original vision of the endangered species arc? hows that going?

Still uploaded the first page but the script and for the first issue is finished and the and some pages are sketched not inked or colored granted that's because everybody who is working on it is busy with their lives

Still uploaded the first page but the script and for the first issue is finished and the and some pages are sketched not inked or colored granted that's because everybody who is working on it is busy with their lives

Its alright, I know the ways of how fanprojects work by now. just wanted a progress report.

I'm of the opinion that the legal bullshit was the worst thing to happen to this book in a long time. For me, a lot of what Penders and Bollers did post-Sonic Adventure is precisely what lost me as a reader. They introduced characters, but didn't give me a reason to care. And then they kept introducing characters. And then they started messing with pre-existing characters. The entire book was practically crumbling under the weight of its own continuity, and things were at a point where if you missed one issue, you missed a good chunk of the story. That was the sort of thing that drove me away from this book for quite a few years. Not to mention a lot of horrible artwork, and Archie's constant tactic of "bait and switch" with Spaz covers and Axer frontispieces, only to greet us with artwork by the likes of Ron Lim and Ken Penders (Lim is actually a good artist; his Sonic work was horrible though).

Then the creative team got some major shake-ups, particularly with Flynn taking over story duties--and he actually made all the shit I hated about the book enjoyable. Gone was the furry drama, the half-assed dead end romances, and characters with no personality. Every character was being repurposed and given a shot at being likable and interesting. Those that weren't pulling their weight, were written out or killed off, but in a way you were almost sorry to see them go. Scourge was freaking huge for me; I hated Evil Sonic from the beginning, and then he was retooled. He was still a troll, but then he conquered his world and stepped out of the troll mold. He was genuine threat. After years of being a joke, he could finally back-up all that punk talk. I loved it. The book may have had problems getting tangled in its own continuity, but it was actually readable again. Sonic was no longer a lame superhero wannabe, and felt closer to his SEGA incarnation than ever before *bricked by Vertekins*. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself.

I'm mad as hell that all that progress was unceremoniously ripped away because one man decided he needed to cling to his glory days, hiding under the flag of creators' rights (you've all read the rants). I'm also pissed off that everything came to a screeching halt because of the massive effect his actions had on the book. I'm also disappointed that none of that stuff will ever see any true closure after all the build-up, again, because of the legal mess. However, I realize there's nothing I can do about it, and Archie is fully within their rights to distance themselves from the root of the legal mess they got caught up in. I'm not happy about it, but that's how it is. I miss those characters, but my options are either to quit reading the book again, or to give this new universe a shot. And, in spite of how I feel about everything, I want to give it a shot, and I don't think Flynn or the rest of the creative team will disappoint me. I think we will get some pleasant surprises along the way, even if the universe is more SEGA-fied now.

I can sympathize with ElectroKyurem's stance, but there's really nothing anyone can do at this point. Archie has all the power to decide the fate of these characters, and they've already shut the book on that case.

There's always fan projects.

After seeing the apparent complex Fleetway fans have about considering StCO "canon," I wouldn't bring that up tongue.png

Why shouldn't it be? It's not like it's contridicting anything. Plus the original creatives are continually giving their blessing.

It isn't egotism, I'm rightfully upset that everything I loved about this comic has been taken away from me. And seriously, you joined this forum just so you could be a prick to me? That's pathetic, man.

That's different, though. When a series is cancelled, its universe theoretically continues, even if nothing that happens post-cancellation is official canon. In this case, there's a good chance that my favorite characters are canonically dead, and people are callously telling me to get over it without considering how it's impacting me!

Well, now I know which book to avoid buying in the future.

Sorry, but why exactly can't I enjoy something on my own terms? You aren't making any sense.

THOSE CHARACTERS DON'T REALLY EXIST!  What don't you understand about that?  if the comic had been cancelled they would be just as non existent as they are now.  I mean, when it gets right down to it, the comic could very well have been nixed thanks to Penders.  You want the comic to be something it isn't.  you want to enjoy something it isn't.  Deal with it.

And yeah, your egoism was so bad i had to join to tell you that you're ridiculous.

Why shouldn't it be? It's not like it's contridicting anything. Plus the original creatives are continually giving their blessing.

Eh, I don't really care, personally. I only joked about it because I recall one member blowing up about some people referring to StCO as a "continuation." I guess some people aren't too accepting of fan projects when it comes to that sort of thing, I don't know.

What do you mean?  Does you opinion matter to me?  Heck no.  I don't give a damn about you, except that I registered just for the express purpose of expressing my indignation at your egotism.

And yeah, your egoism was so bad i had to join to tell you that you're ridiculous.

You talk about ego and yet you signed up here just to espouse an argument people have already had on multiple occasions- in the most shit-stirring way possible- because you felt your opinion was somehow particularly worth sharing to ElectroKyurem and to the rest of us by extension. The irony is both hilarious and annoying, so have a strike and a week-long suspension for your behavior. If you still want to be here after that, you can learn that conversing with members of our board does not include directly antagonizing them like this.

• Thumbs Up 5

Like I said, it's gained support from the likes of Nigel Kitching other members of the original StC team.

That's actually pretty awesome, especially for a fan project. Like I said, I don't particularly care, and I think StCO getting the blessing of the original creative team lends quite a bit of credibility to what would just be a fan project, but it doesn't change the fact that there are people who get caught up with "canon" and would likely strike it from the record simply because it's not being written by Kitching or anyone from the Fleetway team (or officially published, I guess). That's just my take on that sort of thing.

Fact is, they aren't coming back, Ian has said so, Archie pretty much has said as much for Ian to say so, and Sega may as well have said so. Unfortunately for the people that don't like it, they just have to deal. These things happen sometimes and you can't always get things back once they are dead...there's a life lesson there somewhere I think. I said it once before but maybe it needs saying again. The extra characters we lost were all new characters once, and some people grew to like them. The same could and very well will happen to these new characters they are bringing in now. And no, you don't know if they will be "better" than the ones that are gone (in itself very subjective), just as you didn't know the ones that are gone were going to be any good at first. Give it/them a chance, see where it goes before writing their death certificate before they have even had a chance to show us their potential. The franchise is ever changing on all fronts and that means sometimes fans of a particular thing end up losing out, it's not ideal but you can't please everyone...you usually end up a broken wreck if you try >.<
Man, Tapatalk isn't without it's faults...   It's not about refusing to give these new characters a chance like the older ones. Heck, some of the older ones I didn't care much until Ian made them more interesting prior to his lead. The problem is more that we're given something completely new, and it's being praised more in a way that's more for the sake of being spiteful towards the old that we lost, and to an extent towards the fans that enjoyed it, than it is the new character's potential. It's not like I haven't been surprised with this new world, being interested in Shadow Fall despite wanting to avoid the Black Arms as much as we could in the old verse. But these new things are unknowns that, while I have nothing against them per se, I'm wary of as far as whatever attention they'll get.   The point being that I, as well as other people don't know much about these new characters or the new world to make any kind of judgement on them. They could be well made, and I'm waiting to see what they'll deliver. But that's not why I'm being critical here. It's that apparently these new things are seen as a good thing simply for wiping away the old when for all anyone could tell it could wind up the same way with a new coat of paint if the worst comes to pass, and the same people praising this reboot might be the same people who'll rant against them if not to their liking, or hilariously (and hypocritically) praise these new incarnations despite a possibility of being equally convoluted in this world.   People are wanting this to be more like the games, yet we're also getting plenty stuff unlike the games just like we did in the old verse, so this is coming off as haphazard praise for nothing and that those who didn't like the old don't like, nor do they want those that did like the old to continue enjoying it any further. The kind of feeling ElectroKyurem is vocalizing, which i can sympathize with somewhat despite my own feelings on the subject.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wouldn't a fan continuation of Archie Sonic have to pretend that 252 never happened though? I'm not sure how that would work, but if it did I'd love to see something like that.

THOSE CHARACTERS DON'T REALLY EXIST!  What don't you understand about that?

I think I understand just fine. What you need to understand is that a fictional character can mean just as much to me as a real person. Even if I know they don't really, they still feel like more than just artwork on a page.

if the comic had been cancelled they would be just as non existent as they are now.  I mean, when it gets right down to it, the comic could very well have been nixed thanks to Penders.

If the comic had been cancelled, anything that happened afterward would have been up to our imagination. I would have been able to believe that the characters I like came out on top in the end. Now? I have nothing to look forward to regarding them, because their deaths are (most likely) canon.

You want the comic to be something it isn't.  you want to enjoy something it isn't.  Deal with it.

Damn straight I want the comic to be something it isn't. But maybe there's a good reason for that. Maybe I'm exercising my right to be dissatisfied with what I've been given.

Well now that you've told me that, how do you feel? I certainly hope it was a load off your mind.

If the comic had been cancelled, anything that happened afterward would have been up to our imagination. I would have been able to believe that the characters I like came out on top in the end. Now? I have nothing to look forward to regarding them, because their deaths are (most likely) canon.

Well..it's probably just as bad..but technically they aren't dead. They either plan old don't exist in this new universe. Or if you wanna look on the brighter side for your favorite "lost" characters perhaps you can believe that they are alive and well in an alternate universe. Since Sonic and co are now in a new universe. Just imagine the other universe is still around somewhere and imagine yourself a happy ending for them as if it was cancled like you mentioned.

At least more people may understand how people that miss the "lost" characters from the games feel now. Tho they are in the comics still I guess.

Well..it's probably just as bad..but technically they aren't dead. They either plan old don't exist in this new universe. Or if you wanna look on the brighter side for your favorite "lost" characters perhaps you can believe that they are alive and well in an alternate universe. Since Sonic and co are now in a new universe. Just imagine the other universe is still around somewhere and imagine yourself a happy ending for them as if it was cancled like you mentioned.

At least more people may understand how people that miss the "lost" characters from the games feel now. Tho they are in the comics still I guess.

Ah...they're not. Even if they were in a different universe, it would have been part of the same multiverse. Which has been crunched up and rebuilt. It kind of reminds me of the fate of the Original Freedom Fighters, in a way.

Ah...they're not. Even if they were in a different universe, it would have been part of the same multiverse. Which has been crunched up and rebuilt. It kind of reminds me of the fate of the Original Freedom Fighters, in a way.

*Ssshhh* Ixnay on the eadday!! I was trying to give them some hope, some closure. That's why I said they can "believe" they are >.<

Eh, I don't really care, personally. I only joked about it because I recall one member blowing up about some people referring to StCO as a "continuation." I guess some people aren't too accepting of fan projects when it comes to that sort of thing, I don't know.

That would've likely be me. It's ironic as I'm a contributor to StC-O, but I otherwise really don't like it when I see StC as a whole judged by the efforts of fans in the last 10 years. They're different things, StC and StC-O, with different strenghts and weaknesses, and it's unfair to both to just consider them the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Been reluctant to post here, mainly due to the increasing amount of dickish attitude from people who seem to love to antagonize anyone who is upset over losing the old comic. (The kinds of people I end up in a verbal argument with and I end up being the one with strikes)

Despite thinking the old comic was good and being a strong believer in reboots never being a good thing ever, I am giving the new comic a chance. There was nothing wrong with the old comic, I don't see how people can complain about it not being the games because it was a medium alongside the games. The games Sonic was the games Sonic, the comic Sonic was a variation on that. No reason the two couldn't exist together.

I did think that the comics could've done with more of the games setting, so in a way the soft reboot is good in that sense. I just hope that the comic doesn't become the filler in between games, like how Agents of Shield is the boring filler between Marvel movies. I can easily see SEGA flexing their authority some more and have the comics become bland, lack of plot filler that just name drops places and events from the previous games and is just kind of "there" until a game comes out and they're allowed to do things with meaning again.

Also the comics were a way for the lost characters, some of my favourite Sonic characters, to continue to live on even if the game makers have forgotten them. Ian was doing a great job dragging out some of the series long lost characters and giving them some of the spotlight in a way the game makers should be taking notes. Bean, Bark, Nack, Metal Knuckles, Tails Doll, Bomb and Heavy, Mighty and Ray, fans of them rejoiced in the way Ian brought them back! In #256 Bean and Bark say goodbye, I was just hoping it wasn't their last goodbye. If the SU covers are anything to go by then it looks like strict mother SEGA has allowed them to be used so I am glad for that.

(would've been one pissed off Nack fan if they hadn't)

As long as the comic writers are left to it and SEGA's nagging is minimal then the new Universe is something I can begrudgingly get behind. Although starting it with a Megaman crossover I couldn't care less about then adapting my most hated Sonic game ever; (please don't use chip or dwell too long adapting unleashed) wasn't the best way to sell me on the new universe.

I am enjoying the SU Shadow arc, a game many hated but I found to be....enjoyable? Tolerable? Somewhat fun game? 

So already the game elements seem like a nice addition. I just wonder if the comics are now expected to follow SEGA's stupid plotholes that they themselves created? Is Blaze now both simultaneously from the future and an alternate dimension?

Also ElectroKyurem I stil don't understand why you so macabrely insist on imagining all the characters dead. You yourself just said if the comic was cancelled you could imagine the characters living fine, why can't you still do that here? The reboot was just shown to have affected the whole multiverse, so even the echidnas Thrash shoved somewhere were affected. Only characters relevant to the story are being reintroduced, and we know those characters aren't relevant, so they won't be reintroduced- which means they're not confirmed dead either, in fact they're not confirmed ANYTHING.

Just assume Geoffrey and Hersh live in a hut in the mountains somewhere we'll never see, and the echidnas all lived millenia ago or are nameless mooks of the Dark Brotherhood, etc. You're the one who has convinced himself you need to see them all die, and that's sadistic man.

Also supporting the Lara-Su Chronicles because the characters are there when the Lara-Su Chronicles are the reason the characters are gone, and when the characters will be mangled beyond recognition there... no, man. Get a hold of yourself. You just showed disposition to remain on your own headcanon, do that instead. You'll be better off.

• Thumbs Up 4

You mean the part where Feist reduced them and the other inhabitants of the Zone of Silence into raw material to create the Special Zone?

What a...lovely image to think about.

I want to say my two cents about the situation, if you will.

I liked the old comic, especially after Ian took over. Sure, it still had its weaknesses, but I liked it, nevertheless. I also liked some of Penders characters, namely Rob' O the Edge and Feist but, If I have to be honest, I'm kinda indifferent about them being gone. I mean, come on, they were a Robin Hood expy fused with Sonic and a giant Panda with almighty powers. Nothing to cry about. I also don't care about the Knuckles recolors. I'm a little more saddened about (possibly) Mammoth Mogul and Power Ranger Sonic with a Z being gone but...eh, c'est la vie. I know what some fans are thinking and feeling because I'm a DC fan with a "small" distaste for the New52. But really, they are fictional characters. Just remember the good times you had with them and, If you don't like the new comic, don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you. And helping the guy who created this mess to begin with isn't going to help either. Keep your money safe or buy something else.

In #256 Bean and Bark say goodbye, I was just hoping it wasn't their last goodbye. If the SU covers are anything to go by then it looks like strict mother SEGA has allowed them to be used so I am glad for that.

So already the game elements seem like a nice addition. I just wonder if the comics are now expected to follow SEGA's stupid plotholes that they themselves created? Is Blaze now both simultaneously from the future and an alternate dimension?

Why wouldn't SEGA let them continue be used if they already appeared in the old universe, appeared in the Universe arc right after Worlds Collide, and appeared in Sonic #256? Just a bit weird (at least to me, maybe) to see you hoping it wouldn't be their last goodbye. 

Takashi Iizuka has confirmed at Sonic Boom 2012 that Blaze was from an alternate dimension (the dimension with the SOL emeralds), so you can pretty much ignore Sonic 06 story with her. Also, Ian Flynn seems to be sticking with Blaze being in an alternate dimension and that she never met Silver before until Sonic Colors DS. 

(Quote taken from his Info "Megathread - How-Tos, Script Bits, SegaSonic Lore thread" on Bumbleking)

Blaze the Cat is a princess from another dimension. On her home world she protects the Seven Sol Emeralds (square-ish Chaos Emeralds) and the Jeweled Scepter (talisman that connects her world to Sonic's). She controls powerful pryokenetic powers due to the curse of the Sol Emeralds. She has never met or known Silver before SCDS. For details, see Section 2.0 and 6.0.

Takashi Iizuka has confirmed at Sonic Boom 2012 that Blaze was from an alternate dimension (the dimension with the SOL emeralds), so you can pretty much ignore Sonic 06 story with her. Also, Ian Flynn seems to be sticking with Blaze being in an alternate dimension and that she never met Silver before until Sonic Colors DS. 

I already figured out how Blaze can be from the future and an alternate dimension....

..She's a time lord who goes by the name "Doctor Mew"! laugh.png

I'd like to know how her dimension isn't being affected by this "multiverse crashing" thing.

I already figured out how Blaze can be from the future and an alternate dimension....

..She's a time lord who goes by the name "Doctor Mew"! laugh.png

I'd like to know how her dimension isn't being affected by this "multiverse crashing" thing.

It's part of the games. That's how.

• Thumbs Up 3