Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

It is still sad that it all had to happen anyway. The new story seems to be going okay enough so far, and most seem to not mind it too much, but losing characters most likely and all these other new rules, people are still a bit aggravated that it all had to happen.

Edited by Jet Prower

Can I just say that I love the way Ian's been mixing stuff from so many eras of games in this arc? I know the comic has always really been doing that, but...

seeing Orbot and Cubot tag along in an SA2-style Egg Walker infiltrating a G.U.N. aircraft carrier was really cool. Then you had Sonic almost transform into a Werehog due to the "mystery gas." And then "Wood Zone, Westside Island."  And even the reference to Final Egg in the Mystic Ruins in the last issue.

Just... ahh. So much game-y fanservice. Makes me wish the games themselves did stuff like this more often.

Let's put it like this; there's a reason she got pulled from Endangered Species last minute, before her redesign was made public. 

Alright man, spill it. wheres all this coming from? and was the design shown at all?

Alright man, spill it. wheres all this coming from? and was the design shown at all?

Bumbleking, and no (Aleah did say that she wanted to draw the design properly at some point, although she has a busy schedule and she doesn't draw what she plans that regularly). 

I never really liked Charmie's girlfriend anyway, she was completely unnecessary for a character who functions highly on his own and didn't need something like a girl-bee following him around sometimes like a less obsessed Amy.

Probably the reason I didn't like Knuckles's girlfriend, because Knuckles is a high functioning character on his own and didn't need the extra tagalong to disrupt that 'loner' perspective Sega had spent a while implementing before making him into a fumbling clown.

I'm pretty sure Charmy has been functioning more as a group member than one functioning 'highly on their own' even in Sonic Team's hands.

He has enough of a character to stand on his own two feet now though. He certainly doesn't need to be paired with a girlfriend at all times who acts as a support for a lack of character that he had for a long time in the comic/caretaker for the time he was brain damaged. 

Bumbleking, and no (Aleah did say that she wanted to draw the design properly at some point, although she has a busy schedule and she doesn't draw what she plans that regularly).

Link please

He has enough of a character to stand on his own two feet now though. He certainly doesn't need to be paired with a girlfriend at all times who acts as a support for a lack of character that he had for a long time in the comic/caretaker for the time he was brain damaged. 

But you can practically say that for any character if standing on their own two feet is all it takes. And that bottom line allows even satellite characters like that girlfriend he had more room to maneuver.

Saffron couldn't even do that, though. She was nothing without Charmy, and barely anything with him. 

Then they could have given her something else that didn't deal with Charmy and make her able to stand on her own two feet.

Not an impossible thing to do. They just chose not to do anything for her beyond being a cheerleader.

Edited by CreepySpiritSonic

That...I would say is the point. We can't look at the potential she had to gauge how much the reader should care about her (because she's never going to have any more development given that she can't be used any more), we can only look at what she did provide. With that in mind, all she did was support Charmy, and nothing more. If she was killed back in the Return to Angel Island arc as originally planned, we would not have really missed anything from her character being absent. 

Heck, it looks like she would have been developed in Endangered Species just like that. But the fact is that she wasn't, so you can't blame people for judging her as an unnecessary character due to what they were given. 

No.

Whether either of us care about her or her potential is irrelevant, at least as far as I'm concerned because I don't care for her either. My point is with you establishing a bottom line of a character standing on their own feet by themselves allows a lot of leeway even for a satellite character like her to be her own character: you give her one thing outside of being around Charmy and something that takes her from nothing to someone, as per what you just said to me, then Saffron ends up becoming her own character standing on her own two feet like Charmy himself, and that would build the more that can be given (which, mind you, can be just about anything).

That's practically what I'm saying. You give that room for one character who doesn't have a lot but can actually stand on their own to a small extent, then you wind up allowing room for others to do the same.

I'm not talking about satellite characters like her, I'm talking about her. Saffron alone. She was never given anything outside of being around Charmy. How can you blame people for finding her unnecessary? She was in the comics for 14 years, and a lot of people have no reason to care about any of that time for her. 

Edit: Okay, maybe a little backtracking would make my point clearer. What I said about Charmy was purely a comparison point to her, since you talked about Charmy being a group character. I was just pointing out that while he was, he could also function alone, inferring that this was never the case with Saffron. 

Edit: And also; If she was able to be used, then I would be fully behind her getting development to make her stand out, I actually liked her. This is just a unique case where that cannot happen. 

Edited by VEDJ-F

I'm not talking about satellite characters like her, I'm talking about her. Saffron alone. She was never given anything outside of being around Charmy. How can you blame people for finding her unnecessary? She was in the comics for 14 years, and a lot of people have no reason to care about any of that time for her. 

Well I'm talking about satellite characters like her regardless. I don't care for her myself, so I don't really care how unnecessary people find her or how long she's been in the comics.

I will repeat, you allow one character to manuever from being a group character to an individual, it can be made for the others.

Edit: Okay, maybe a little backtracking would make my point clearer. What I said about Charmy was purely a comparison point to her, since you talked about Charmy being a group character. I was just pointing out that while he was, he could also function alone, inferring that this was never the case with Saffron. 

And I repeat, so can any other character depending on what the bottom line is for functioning alone. Whether they have or haven't done so isn't anything I'm concerned with.

I'm sorry CSS, but I don't understand why you're having a go at people for judging off what they've been presented. 

If you're trying to say that there is no such thing as an unncessary character, then...I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree here, because that simply isn't true in terms of the comic, at least from my perspective. 

Edit: And it's hardly just Saffron guilty of it; I felt that Leeta and Lyco were far more guilty of being unnecessary characters. 

Edited by VEDJ-F

I'm sorry CSS, but I don't understand why you're having a go at people for judging off what they've been presented. 

I was actually calling out an inconsistency I find with a character who's capable of standing on his own, yet has been placed in a group for years. You dragged it into a discussion about Saffron as an individual, which I've said at least twice I don't care about her and was instead more focused on this bottom line you made that makes a character stand on their own.

Because any character like can stand on their own if that was all it took.

I didn't mean in terms of actually physically working on their own, I meant in terms of having a distinct personality/characterisation that could work on its own.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Yeah, so was I on characters in general. Not just for one of them.

I guess that's where we got wires crossed, because I just wanted to talk about her alone. The original post you replied to was about her. 

And also Julie-Su, but talking about her would just result in a constant stream of expletives from me. 

Edited by VEDJ-F

It was about her and Charmy, and I only targeted the part where she said Charmy stood on his own. I didn't care enough about Saffron to say anything in her defense until you came in with her, and even then I didn't have enough to say about her by herself.

I always thought Saffron was slightly important, since wasn't she his wife, not just his girlfriend? That's what I thought I remembered. I never have liked that little thing people spread around. Oh this character is unnecessary and that one too. If there are in there, to me, they are needed. I always hate the idea of characters just disappearing because someone may not like them or deams them not important at all. Maybe I just have a love for most all characters, but it is at least how I feel overall about them.

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought Penders came up with Saffron so that Charmy would have true love. I'm sure if given the chance, Mighty and Vector would have gotten sweethearts too.