Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Why is everyone acting like this comic is supposed to be an adult novel? The Sonic comic is supposed to have deep story telling for an all ages book,  but not too deep. There are new hard core comic fans that came on board with the Sonic and Megaman crossover and so far they have enjoyed both 252 and 253.-Now, think for a second, these are guys that have DC and Marvel comics posted up all over their rooms and they review comics all the time like new fans on youtube like "DarkAvengerINC". -So that is good sign right there. Their not as biased as the Sonic comic fans that came before them. 

What's with this "Ian's work is suffering because he writes on 4 different books business?" What comics have you've been reading!? Sonic Universe Chaotic's Quest was genius.-My eyes was watering.-That arc had heart. Remember, Ian had a plan with the world tour arc 236-247 until Ken Penders and Sega stepped in and even with that there was still some great moments that put the "comic" in "comic book" like the "secret freedom fighters", "SU Eggman being a straight boss", "Amy and Tails encouraging Sonic even though he didn't really need it", "Amy telling Mecha Sally that she is saving Sally because she is a friend not because she has chance to be with Sonic" and  "Shard is a favorite" So Ian still is doing pretty good.

the opposite happened to me. I subscribed to STH and SU back in March and i still didnt get an issue. 

I've heard lots of stories about this from people with archie in the past. People subscribing to stuff and never getting a single issue or response and then archie denying that they ever got anything, thus they lose the money and never come back again.

Why is everyone acting like this comic is supposed to be an adult novel? The Sonic comic is supposed to have deep story telling for an all ages book,  but not too deep. There are new hard core comic fans that came on board with the Sonic and Megaman crossover and so far they have enjoyed both 252 and 253.-Now, think for a second, these are guys that have DC and Marvel comics posted up all over their rooms and they review comics all the time like new fans on youtube like "DarkAvengerINC". -So that is good sign right there. Their not as biased as the Sonic comic fans that came before them. 

What's with this "Ian's work is suffering because he writes on 4 different books business?" What comics have you've been reading!? Sonic Universe Chaotic's Quest was genius.-My eyes was watering.-That arc had heart. Remember, Ian had a plan with the world tour arc 236-247 until Ken Penders and Sega stepped in and even with that there was still some great moments that put the "comic" in "comic book" like the "secret freedom fighters", "SU Eggman being a straight boss", "Amy and Tails encouraging Sonic even though he didn't really need it", "Amy telling Mecha Sally that she is saving Sally because she is a friend not because she has chance to be with Sonic" and  "Shard is a favorite" So Ian still is doing pretty good.

Um, no one said "Ian's work is suffering because he writes on 4 different books." Where did you get that impression? 0_o I simply said seeing Yardley's script on the current Blaze arc was refreshing because it's genuinely fun, especially coming off of everything from the past year--legal issues, the crossover, etc.. I (nor anybody else that responded to me for that matter) never said any of Flynn's stuff is bad. I think the beginning of the "World Tour" started off strong but quickly ran itself into the ground because nothing really changed from issue to issue following the Shazamazon chapter ("We've got you Sally!" "Darn! She got away!" rinse and repeat). If it wasn't for the supplemental stories than ran along #236-247("Scrambled," "Secret Freedom," "Chaotix Quest" and "Forged in Fire"--all written by Flynn) were bright spots in a time when the main story was dragging on a bit.

I will always gives Flynn his props for what he did because I credit the man with being the reason I still read this book at all, when writers (and certain artists) in the past killed its appeal for a few years. I'm just saying it'd be nice to see another writer get a chance to shine, and give Flynn a break here and there while he works on the bigger steps of the story. I can totally see Yardley taking scripting reins over for more Sonic Universe stuff, with Jamal Peppers picking up art duties, for example.

I've heard lots of stories about this from people with archie in the past. People subscribing to stuff and never getting a single issue or response and then archie denying that they ever got anything, thus they lose the money and never come back again.

My experience with subscriptions was pretty awful. I got all my books on time, but they were almost always mangled in the mail. I sent for a few replacements or had to re-buy them (I like my books to be in good shape). I'm pretty sure that's more on the USPS than Archie though. Now I just go to the comic shop once or twice a month because it's better than worrying about how the mailman is going to shove my book into the mailbox. The savings offered on subscriptions just weren't worth it to me.

Edited by Zaysho

My experience with subscriptions was pretty awful. I got all my books on time, but they were almost always mangled in the mail. I sent for a few replacements or had to re-buy them (I like my books to be in good shape). I'm pretty sure that's more on the USPS than Archie though. Now I just go to the comic shop once or twice a month because it's better than worrying about how the mailman is going to shove my book into the mailbox. The savings offered on subscriptions just weren't worth it to me.

There are no comic shops anywhere to be found anywhere remotely near me. It is like a half a day trip to find one most likely, since I have no idea where one is even located anymore. Comic/Card/Video Game smaller stores just seem to go out of business so quickly.

Whoa, calm down. Nobody said that this comic is supposed to be an adult novel, we know that Sonic's demographic is primarily aimed towards children with deeper meanings and references aimed towards the older, more nostalgic crowd that grew up with it.

We never mentioned that his work was suffering either. Ian is perhaps one of the best things to happen to the comic - plot and writing wise. What we are discussing about is that Ian might run himself a little ragged seeing that he has to write scripts for four comics. It would be of great assistance if he had some of the weight from responsibilities lifted off of his shoulders if there was another person. And also another perspective could help Ian with some problems if any were to arise like for example "arcs running too short" or "character development".  Collaborations are great because you tend to have two minds that bring different views and solutions together to offset another's problem.

We are not saying that Ian's work is bad nor is it problematic, in fact quite the opposite.

Edited by Scheming Minor
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just for clarification the SU 59 is the shadow fall arc TSSZ made a mistake

Just for clarification the SU 59 is the shadow fall arc TSSZ made a mistake

I thought that was the case, especially since TSSZ didn't give any details as to what SU#59's story would be instead (and they were talking about "Shadow Fall" during that segment the whole time). That, and by my count, most SU arcs don't end on odd numbers ("Chaotix Quest" seems to be the odd one out).

Edited by Zaysho

someone from bumbleking got 254  

Eggman lands in Hood's base, which is being assailed by GUN forces. He orders an aircraft, which they don't have, and decides to use his broken Eggmobile as something to deter GUN. Meanwhile in Knothole Sonic finds Uncle Chuck, who he calls Uncle Chuck, and Antoine. There's a new/old face Ben "Mutt" Muttski, who is now a full Mobian and Chucks apprentice. They take Twan off to the side, who thinks they're acting strange, and hands him NICOLE. He remembers everything, reacting to his Coma first, then demanding to see his wife. Back with Eggman he's turned his Eggmobile into the walker from SA2, with Side-Cars for Orbot and Cubot, who's German now. He hops onto the GUN carrier and causes mayhem before setting his walker to auto-pilot to destroy the control tower and steal a jet. Back with the heroes Sonic is talking to Twan, keeping him calm while NICOLE, who still can't go Holo Form, looks up Bunnie. Seems she missed a check-in after going deeper under cover. Twan says he's going with them, when an Earthquake Chuck was researching has an aftershock, opening a hole in the ground. Sonic and friends jump in to save the day, with Sonic going after Chuck who wants Sonic to save his research but Sonic just say's "Priorities Unc'! Before tossing him up to Antoine so he can save the machine that's been storing the energy. Antoine passes Chuck to Tails, who has Muttski, and proceeds to do the spin slash move from Black Knight to clear the way. Sonic gets the machine, but on the way up it gets hit with a rock, and Sonic breathes in some of the gas it spews. Antoine catches him and with help from Tails pulls him up. Sonic goes feral for a second, before saying he's okay. Chuck is concerned about his Nephews well-being, but Sonic assures him that it's cool. Chuck and Muttski head to check on the village before they head to Spagonia to study the remaining samples. He yells back to Sonic to see a real Doctor, and Antoine volunteers himself to go with him. Sonic asks if there is anything he wants him to tell Bunnie, and he says there is. We then cut to Bunnie in an Egg Army suit and the issue ends. The off panel is an "I left the Iron on" Joke.

some of you who were worrying about a certain mandate can chill....for now

Muttski...mobian...

Da FUQ?! They're abusing the hell out of the reality changes. laugh.png

Edited by CreepySpiritSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh hey Sonic called Chuck Unc. Maybe they are still blood related.

Or maybe he's an adopted uncle to all of them including Sonic, who knows.

Muttskis a mobian now.... wow, I actualy dont mind that all that much XD adds another returning character, who is now an actual full character, which is a good thing. Also any hints towards how Ant has been changed by the timeline alteration?

1306176_ful.jpg

1306177_ful.jpg

(W) Ian Flynn (A) Evan Stanley & Various (CA) Rafa Knight

The 'Countdown' is over, the 'Chaos' has just begun! 'Damage Control': The shattered world is causing chaos everywhere, and Station Square is about to implode! Sonic and the Freedom Fighters must spring into action to save the day, unless someone beats them to the punch. Cue: Dr. Eggman. Will the evil doctor be the one to save the world? Or will his newfound power give him ultimate control? Covers by Rafa Knight and Lamar Wells!

1306179_ful.jpg

1306178_ful.jpg

(W) Ian Flynn (A) Jamal Peppers & Various (CA) Vince Riley

Shadow and Team Dark versus an invading alien army! 'Shadow Fall' Part Two: The mission to save humanity is falling to pieces! With Rouge, Omega and G.U.N. are on the run from murderous aliens and Shadow battling for his life - and his free will - against the malicious Black Death and Eclipse, the world is running out of time! Loyalties are tested, aliens are blasted, and NEW characters make their debut in this space-faring new issue! Featuring cover art from Tracy Yardley! and an Alien Invasion Variant from Vincent Riley (Native Drums).

1306175_ful.jpg

(W) Ian Flynn (A) Jennifer Hernandez & Various (CA) Sega

Dash along with Sonic on another all-new story featuring the world of the hit SEGA iOS game: Sonic Dash! The Sonic Super Special Magazine gives you the world of Sonic the Hedgehog comics as you've never seen it before, with tons of comic stories, special features and exclusive articles on the latest and greatest in the world of everyone's favorite blue hedgehog-hero! Along with the all-new Sonic Dash mini-feature, this issue also features a special spotlight on Shadow the Hedgehog, and what place he and Team Dark have in the new Sonic comic universe!
  • Thumbs Up 1

1306176_ful.jpg

1306177_ful.jpg

1306179_ful.jpg

1306178_ful.jpg

Do have to say I am loving both alternate covers, and cant wait to find out what happens in both!

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman more than likely will get new memories as well as the FFs. Also, Naugus got his memories back, so you never know. Also, I imagine Team Dark, or at least Shadow, will somehow get there's back as a result of the new Universe arc.

Also there's no chance anyone outside of the FFs will get their memories back.

Muttski getting his memories back could be comedy gold. Heck, that's an idea for an off-panel!

Edited by Duckstalker Nald

So we had Death Adder and Death Bringer in Golden Axe, now we got Black Doom and Black Death, lol.

An d yeah on the new issue that just came out.....didn't see that coming.

We need pictures! Pictures of Muttski-Man!

I second this! cant wait for CC14's full preview and previews!

So we had Death Adder and Death Bringer in Golden Axe, now we got Black Doom and Black Death, lol.

An d yeah on the new issue that just came out.....didn't see that coming.

Not to backseat mod, but please, spoiler tags.

Either it's another misleading cover like the Bunnie gone bad one, or we're seeing Shadow possibly getting mind-controlled by whoever is leading the Black Arms now like Black Doom did in ShtH.

Muttski is a Mobian now? Okay then.

Anyway....

I've made my decision, so now...;

Blaire's Honest Review;

(Because I don't know what else to call it >_>)

Issue #252:

At Alll Costs; Part 2 - A New Lease On Life

First off, yes, I know issue 253 is out. I happen to have that very issue within arm's reach, if even that. But I started with #252, so that's what I'm going to review. Also, I'm not going to summerize every major thing that happened in this or any issue, though if I skip something, I may mention it later on. Anyway, let's get to it;

So we start off with a short summary of what happened before the Sonic/Mega Man crossover saga. And let me just say that I'm glad I was kinda following what was going on in the comic, or else I would have had no clue what was going on with the whole 'Mecha Sally' thing or anything like that. Then we get a brief mention of the crossover and how Eggman basically tried to screw up the timeline using something called the Genesis Wave. Sonic manages to revert the timeline back to the way it was, only for Eggman to distort all that. And thus we begin the issue proper...

We begin with a panel showing a few of Sonic's memories. Our favorite blue hedgehog in question appears to have a rather nasty headache ('Feels like my brain's doing a spin dash in my skull...'). Poor Sonic. It seems as if Sonic has been transported back to his own world...

However, something does not seem right.

Remember how I said how Eggman interferred when Sonic fixed the timeline? Well, it becomes clear very quickly that because of this, the world has pretty much been reset and now things are very different on Mobius - if it's even called that any more. And at first, Sonic's (and Eggman) the only one that remembers the old world.

However, there's Nicole, the artifcial intelligence lynx. (Who seems to be sporting a new outfit). We first see her with the wizard Naugus, who, aside from having taken over the castle of Mobotropolis, has somehow lost his magic powers and wants Nicole to make this ring to restore said magic. Well, unfortunately for him, Nicole isn't sure that she can make one, which leads Nagus to violently grab her computer form... and get bombarded with memories of the old world. Freaked out by this, the former wizard throws Nicole out the window and then jumps out of the castle and runs into the woods.

Of course, poor Nicole is quite bugged by this abuse. And how is she supposed to get debugged? Well, apparently, those that are either very close to Sonic (as he was the center of the world getting reset), or in the case of Nagus, someone who was badly effected by the first Genesis Wave that happened way back in.... I think it was issue 225? Somewhere along that line anyway well have thier memories of the old world restored and Nicole will get less debugged. Of course, Naugus didn't really do much to debug her, but whatever.

Our foxy friend Tails is the first to discover Nicole lying in the grass, subsequently getting his memories of the old world back. The little guy is (understandably) shook up by all this. And it seems that Sonic himself is starting to get new memories. Well, new old memories at least. Including one of the first meeting between Max Acorn (who in this new world is back on his feet and is once again king) and Robotnik. And in the 'new' memory, they both have different designs - Robotnik looks like you would see him in the classic games, which I find pretty cool.

Now, what is the comic like in terms of the art style?

I think it's pretty nice. Characters are modeled well and I don't see any glaring issues. I especially like the cover. Ben Bates did a fantastic job on that. All in all, I like it.

Plotwise, I thought it was fairly good. I kinda wish I could have read 'At All Costs: Part 1' and the issues prior, to get a better feel for what's going on, even if I have been following the plot from the outside. I dunno, maybe I would have felt a bit different about. My feelings instead? Well, I do like it. I thought it was well done. Characters were pretty good - I gotta say that I really liked the interaction between Sonic and Tails pre-Tails remembering the old world. xD Also I've been hearing that King Max used to be a jerkass? Doesn't come that way in this issue. Hope that stays as I like this new Max. And, I like how Classic Eggman is in that new memory of him and the King... meeting? I'm not sure, but he sure as hell looks a lot more trustworthy than Julian ever did. See, now it makes sense that Max ever trusted him.

If there's one problem I have, it's the Tails Doll and how it is... implemented in this. If you haven't been paying much attention to the Sonic fandom, basically there is this theory about this unlockable character in Sonic R, the Tails Doll. That he will kill you or steal your soul if you do certain things (these tend to vary). And Archie somehow got inspired from this theory and turned the Tails Doll into this... monster thing.

Why?

Look, I don't understand why people find the Tails Doll so freaking creepy. But for Archie to try to make something with this? Come on guys, was that really necessary? I don't mind pandering to fans, but it should be done within reason. This? To me, not within reason. I'll give them credit though. They still did a better job at making the Tails Doll 'creepy' than I've seen pretty much anyone else in the fandom do. (Seriously, the doll coming out of the tv and ripping one's soul out? Really?). But I digress.

So, yeah, it's a solid issue. It could have done without certain things (*cough*TailsDoll*cough*) but I thought it was a decent start to this 'new world'.

I'll probably wait until the full Countdown to Chaos arc is done and then review it as a whole. I think that would be the best course of action. Hope you all enjoyed my honest (and shittily done) review.

A few questons:
Is there any way you can post image previews like CC14 does or something? 

When they showed Bunnie in an Egg Army Suit, was she in Metropolis Zone? 

If Antoine did the Spin Slash, did they call it that? And also... I WAS RIGHT! Antoine DOES have Black Knight-esque abilities!

What does Muttski look like? How old is he?

Was there any hint (dialogue, caption, etc) of Knothole's location? Is it on West Side Island?

By "Ferral", did Sonic look slightly like the werehog at all?

Sonic actually called Uncle Chuck, Uncle Chuck?

1) Wait for the Spoiler Thread

2) I thinks so, if not it sure looked like it.

3) Muttski calls it the Spin Blade Ball Attack. Zero did it first!

4) Okay, he has Blue sandals, a Red Neckerchief, Blue Eyes, and he looks like Tails without the hair, and Dog Ears and Tail, so I'm guessing he is young.

5)

Outside Knothole Village: Wood Zone, Westside Island.

6) His teeth looked sharp, his fur was rustling, and he was starting to growl while drooling.

7) The only other thing he calls him is Unc'.

Some questions I had answered. Hope this helps you guys.

EDIT: I have no clue why the quotes are messed up.
Edited by Sparky