Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Really, this seems more like gushing over the villains than the heroes. But since the villain makes the plot, why the hell not?

Waiiit wait wait.

If I'm reading this right, Archie fired the first shot in this case?

I always thought Penders was the one who initiated the lawsuit, but if I'm reading right, Archie sued him first basically to get him to shut up.

...and there's a high chance this could actually go in Penders' favor?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Penders started this when he got the copyrights to his stuff under Archie's nose and sent them some variety of cease and desist, which in retrospect almost seems like bait to get Archie to sue him.  At the time no one thought he had a legal leg to stand on, but whoops they lost his contract.  I have no idea why this is such an issue considering its status as a derivative work, if he won't accept a photocopy of his contract what proof does he have that he was allowed to write the comic at all?  Of course his retort will be that the Sega characters weren't important to the comic and people who think the comic is dumb (Like me) will snicker.  

My opinion is that nothing of value was lost, every concept he created (Billions and billions of Echidnas) somehow managing to completely eclipse (Cyber hair) the dumbness (God Panda in the Special Zone) of the last (love dodecahedron).

Then there was that time where Sonic was replaced by evil Sonic for a while and it was clear that the authors weren't reading each others scripts and you end up with Sonic continuing the fake relationship with two different girls in the next two issues with no mention of the other.

Edited by Phos

Personally, I really like the sound of this opener. Even though it has Sonic and Mega Man fighting, it sounds like less emphasis is put on the conflict right now, and more on exposition on how the villains got to the Genesis reality anew and introducing some of the other major antagonists of the first and second chapters of the whole story.

A slow-burning start, something that Ian tends not to do with his stories. Hopefully he won't put the adrenaline up too early after this. Have fights, but mix it in with how the heroes are feeling and mentally figuring out the situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really, this seems more like gushing over the villains than the heroes. But since the villain makes the plot, why the hell not?

Well Flynn has always been better at writing the villains than the Heroes, so focusing on them is a godsend. At the very least they explain why the Heroes are fighting instead of just because.

I'm looking forward to Sega suing Penders for trademark infringement in the event that things go really bad for Archie.

Penders may or may not have a case when it comes to copyrights but when it comes to trademarks he's fucking screwed. Sega can go after him for trademark infringement since his characters look like Knuckles, and Knuckles is a trademark of Sega.

Was it smart for him to say that? I mean thats a written statement now, can't Archie use that to their advantage?

my thoughts on the robotized masters and ken penders as of recently can be found at my bwrosas YT channel. If you want to check them out there.

Okay then, so I assume that Ken has finally given up and is letting them keep the characters?

No, it means the same thing it always meant. Penders is trying to give himself good PR by going "BUT GUUUUYS, I TOTALLY LET THEM KEEP THE CHARACTERS IF THEY PAY ME! IT'S THEIR FAULT!"

Am I the only one who thinks its incredibly clichè to have the Tails Doll as some nightmarish creature? I mean come on...

Well Sonic.exe's bloody eyes wouldn't get past the radar.

Geez Archie...I think that's a little too much

This is the price we pay for having a fanfiction writer being the official writer. He's in on ALL the memes.

Plus villains often are interesting characters since we don't get to see evil people often in real life.

Penders started this when he got the copyrights to his stuff under Archie's nose and sent them some variety of cease and desist, which in retrospect almost seems like bait to get Archie to sue him.  At the time no one thought he had a legal leg to stand on, but whoops they lost his contract.  I have no idea why this is such an issue considering its status as a derivative work, if he won't accept a photocopy of his contract what proof does he have that he was allowed to write the comic at all?

BINGO. Just as Archie can't prove that he was the writer, neither can he. The most both parties have on is "Story by Ken Penders" in earlier issues but that doesn't say anything about where the ownership resides. An Editor or Artist could just as easily have created the characters and it merely came to the main writer of the time to weave them into the story.

My opinion is that nothing of value was lost, every concept he created (Billions and billions of Echidnas) somehow managing to completely eclipse (Cyber hair) the dumbness (God Panda in the Special Zone) of the last (love dodecahedron).

The problem is Penders' stories form the backbone of the continuity. Ian Flynn has done a well enough job of patching it all up, but they basically just chopped off one of the comic's legs with this since retcons will be necessary to explain tons of things.

Then there was that time where Sonic was replaced by evil Sonic for a while and it was clear that the authors weren't reading each others scripts and you end up with Sonic continuing the fake relationship with two different girls in the next two issues with no mention of the other.

As I recall that's chalked up to Evil Sonic simply dating every girl in town because he could, and led to some hilarity in later issues as the actual Sonic tried to resolve the confusion.

That sounds to me like he's relinquishing his rights. Let's hope it got screencapped.

Would be humorous if the Court devolved into arguments of photoshopping and post editing. Now that's an internet-focused dispute!

No, it means the same thing it always meant. Penders is trying to give himself good PR by going "BUT GUUUUYS, I TOTALLY LET THEM KEEP THE CHARACTERS IF THEY PAY ME! IT'S THEIR FAULT!"

Wouldn't doubt it.

So I came across this...

To my knowledge this is a first time she's doing a segment with someone from Archie.

Edited by Balding Spider

*begins to watch the interview*

"We try to stay respectful to the origins of the character"

PFFFFFTTTTTTT OH HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA HHAHAAHAHA *bangs fist on table* HAHAHAHA! OH OH! OH! WHAT!! WHAT!! WHAT!!!

Okay... thats out of my system. I don't care how big a fan you are of archie, archie is not respectful to the origins of the character at all. Their Sonic is nothing like Sega Sonic.

Anyway, 5 min into the interview and still no real information on anything, so hopefully theres something I can news here.

"We're telling an adult story with blue fury animals"

Ah right, so this explains the vagina faced tails doll monster.. .. .. I can't believe I've just typed that...

• Thumbs Up 5

*begins to watch the interview*

"We try to stay respectful to the origins of the character"

PFFFFFTTTTTTT OH HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA HHAHAAHAHA *bangs fist on table* HAHAHAHA! OH OH! OH! WHAT!! WHAT!! WHAT!!!

Okay... thats out of my system. I don't care how big a fan you are of archie, archie is not respectful to the origins of the character at all. Their Sonic is nothing like Sega Sonic.

Anyway, 5 min into the interview and still no real information on anything, so hopefully theres something I can news here.

"We're telling an adult story with blue fury animals"

Ah right, so this explains the vagina faced tails doll monster.. .. .. I can't believe I've just typed that...

Whenever I read the comics, Sonic seems to act just like his game counterpart to me.

Whenever I read the comics, Sonic seems to act just like his game counterpart to me.

Instances of that are because SEGA's wrapped a thick, slimy tentacle around Archie's neck and told them they can't do this or that or this to Sonic. He can't cry is a big rule, and there are countless that unfortunately Archie hasn't disclosed to us, presumably because of some legal agreement.

Oh, man! I'm gonna have to watch that interview later. I'm so hyped up for World's Collide, it isn't even funny. *o*

Instances of that are because SEGA's wrapped a thick, slimy tentacle around Archie's neck and told them they can't do this or that or this to Sonic. He can't cry is a big rule, and there are countless that unfortunately Archie hasn't disclosed to us, presumably because of some legal agreement.

Instances? He always seems to act and talk like SEGASonic.

Oh, man! I'm gonna have to watch that interview later. I'm so hyped up for World's Collide, it isn't even funny. *o*

Don't get your hopes up.

I watched the whole thing. More or less didn't even talk about it.

Don't get your hopes up.

I watched the whole thing. More or less didn't even talk about it.

Oh. Well, that's a shame. Maybe it won't be worth the watch then, since I'm not really up for hearing the usual jargon that gets repeated interview through interview. (The 'trying to stay true to the origins' thing.) If there was tidbits of what was coming up/future plans, maybe then, but it doesn't really sound like it.

Their Sonic is nothing like Sega Sonic.

If you're talking about the character, he acts quite similarly to me.

If you're talking about the series, will I could give a billion instances where they do link quite a few elements back to the main source material, but I went over that so many damn times that there wouldn't be much point.

• Thumbs Up 3

I seriously doubt they meant the exact same origins as SegaSonic considering that this is a blend of it, Archie, and original material.

• Thumbs Up 3

Bit dissapointed that it revealed nothing new. Could've at least shown something near the end instead of doing the "We got other stuff you can buy from us!" sthick.

Edited by DarkLight
  • Thumbs Up 1