Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I don't know if I can ask this or not, if I can't, just say so and I'll forget all about it and never ask for it again...

Is there any place where I could download all Sonic Comics from Issue 001?

I wanted to check which characters from ArchieSonic could be adapted to the japanese continuity...

Also, I tried to search through the Web, but to no avail...

Edited by XRick

I wanted to check which characters from ArchieSonic could be adapted to the japanese continuity...
None of them.

Well, I said "could be adapted", not "could be transfered"...

Of course, a small change in character could be used.

Mina is also my first character in mind, I liked her design and background as an idol, it reminded me of Honey the Cat xD

Edited by XRick

I'm usually against confusing the continuities, but Mina Mongoose could potentially cross over intact.

To be honest, Mina's the only one I wouldn't be against putting in the games. She seems pretty cool and unique overall. I can't stand Sally, though, or any of the other Freedom Fighters for that matter.

Of course, the only way to really do it is to tweak the backstory a bit... but it could work.

Actually, I have heard a rumor that Rouge was originally designed by an Archie Comic writer and was later added to SA2. I'm not sure if that's true or not, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, Mina's the only one I wouldn't be against putting in the games. She seems pretty cool and unique overall. I can't stand Sally, though, or any of the other Freedom Fighters for that matter.

Of course, the only way to really do it is to tweak the backstory a bit... but it could work.

Actually, I have heard a rumor that Rouge was originally designed by an Archie Comic writer and was later added to SA2. I'm not sure if that's true or not, though.

The artist who supposedly designed Rouge was Dawn Best, who had her tenure as a primary penciller for the Knuckles part of the comic from the 80's through 130-140? issues. I think that rumor/urban legend comes from the fact that she had a following on her Team Artail gallery, and she had a picture(s) of Rouge labeled as "Nails the Bat", which was apparently Rouge's early development/promotional name in SA2.

Secondly, if SEGA was ever curious enough to adapt a comic character into the games, I wouldn't mind Mina much either since she seems to fit in either. I know that some folks were lobbying for Julie-Su awhile back, but given that they technically already have that position filled with Shade...*shrugs*

Interesting. I've never heard that Rouge rumor. Given that she was the one of the characters not present in the original SA2 teaser, it really makes you think.

Scourge would probably be the easiest one since the games have dabbled in alternate dimensions already. Plus, it'd make for one hell of a Sonic Rivals 3. Sonic vs Shadow vs Scourge vs Metal Sonic vs Jet vs Blaze? I'd sure as hell be game for it!

All of them could cross over with the right modifications. Personally, I'd be in it just for the Uekawa pics, CG models, and gameplay models for porting to other games.

Scourge would probably be the easiest one since the games have dabbled in alternate dimensions already. Plus, it'd make for one hell of a Sonic Rivals 3. Sonic vs Shadow vs Scourge vs Metal Sonic vs Jet vs Blaze? I'd sure as hell be game for it!

All of them could cross over with the right modifications. Personally, I'd be in it just for the Uekawa pics, CG models, and gameplay models for porting to other games.

I kinda think so too... xD

Edited by XRick

Considering Scourge is a bit of a canon sue, I don't see it happening.

How is he a canon sue you ask:

He is Sonic's evil twin from a parallel dimension

He is a Recolor of Sonic

Has all of Sonic's abilities, and therefore is overpowered as hell.

Stole Fiona away from Sonic

And took over his world in a matter of days, without any effort.

All of that sounds like something out of a fanfic, it makes him even more polarizing than Shadow.

Scourge is by far one of the WORST choices, for all the reasons Shadic stated. I wouldn't mind seeing a parallel dimension similar to the Antiverse that has opposites of Sonic characters, as that could turn out interesting, but Scourge? Hell no. Way too cliche and far worse than Shadow has ever been.

If I had to pick one, I think I would go with Bunnie.

While the series does seem to lack true cyborgs, it has skirted that territory in the past with Shadow Androids (and whatever you want to call Shadow himself), so I think she would fit in fine. Bunnie would be fairly easy to lend a voice to as well, she already has an established stereotype. That is a hanging point that is a bit nastier than it seems. Plus, she would be a homage back to the time when Eggy was robotizing little animals (I know the game concept of robotization is a bit different, but it works the same in the end).

On top of that, she could fit into the established play-style. Her sole thrusters grant her the speed she would need, and she would be able to shoot things like Gamma and Omega… kinda like a hybrid of the two.

What does any of that have to do with anything? Especially in the context of a Rivals 3

I'm saying putting him in the games would bad, especially without an adequate reason for it as well.

I'm saying putting him in the games would bad, especially without an adequate reason for it as well.

Especially when we have too many damn hedgehogs as it is.

I would say Bean the Mothah Fuckin' Dynamite! Sure, he was already in a game, but I just want his character shown.

Rofl. I love Scourge to death (he's around my second or third favourite character), but I definitely don't wanna see him cross over to the games. We don't need any more powered-up hedgies in the game canon, kthx =P ♥

Bah. SCREW the canon. I just want my 8 player Sonic/Shadow/Metal Sonic/Scourge/Silver/Knuckles/Blaze/Jet (online obviously) race of kick assness. Too bad I can't hack Free Riders and add Scourge.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I should comment a bit more on introducing Archie Sonic characters into the games, since I actually took the time to read through the series a while back...

First off, it's a bad idea no matter what character we're looking at. The comics and the games have such different settings and histories that characters made in the Archieverse are completely unsuited for the games. To force them in would do a disservice to both sides; game fans, for forcing in unrelated characters just to bring in their established fans, and comic fans, for butchering their beloved characters to make them fit. So my earlier post still stands; no Archie Sonic character could reasonably and beneficially be adapted into the game universe.

But, if forced to come up with a list of the most plausible candidates, here's what I'd say:

Mina: Mina would be my first choice; her design is a better fit for the series than most others, and she's established as being pretty quick so she could reasonably pull off Sonic styled gameplay. But...why? What does she have to offer? I imagine Sega wouldn't take too kindly to romance drama. Her singing wouldn't be of much use in a game story. And while she's not helpless, she's not particularly strong, either. I don't see much reason to put her in, besides being able to say they've put an Archie Sonic character into the games.

Bunnie: I have an odd soft spot for Bunnie, for reasons I can't explain. But anyway, she's got a decent range of potential abilities, she has a reasonably interesting personality, and her design (in the most recent issues I've read) is...well, it's actually pretty cool. The problem is, with her being from so early on in the comic, there's no way she could be brought into the series intact without dragging everything else along with her. She's too connected to things that are exclusive to Archie Sonic; to cut those ties would make her almost unrecognizable.

And...that's it. Can't think of a single other character.

I do have to give a big, emphatic "No" to Scourge, because he's the sort of character that could've worked (that is, that's why I'm making this statement, not why I'm saying no). Mostly because he's just Evil Sonic, an idea so simple that it can be completely divorced from the comics without losing anything in particular. But the reasons against it are many. For one: He sucks. Again, "just Evil Sonic", "an idea so simple", etc etc. Second, the series already has enough Sonic doppelgangers with Metal and Shadow; we don't need to pull the evil Sonic bit again. Third, as of the Rushes, the game universe doesn't seem to work in a way that allows him; we have a parallel world, and it isn't quite anti-Earth. Proposing that there are other "parallel" worlds out there would ruin our nice little binary setup.

I missed the part where it was the only other world. Especially when we got a whole five planets to travel to in Colors, and then the whole mayhem that is the future.

Yeah, pretty much figures...

Sonic or other characters' recolorings apart, from the little info I read on the wikis and from the images I saw of several characters, it really would be needed a massive revamping, in design and background, for any of them to "reincarnate" in the japanese continuity...

Those are completely different things than parallel universes. If we're defining Scourge as "Evil Sonic from the Backwards Dimension" (or whatever synonyms you want to use), which is about the only way I could see him being defined accurately, then he has to be from a Backwards Dimension, not from another planet in Sonic's universe or another time period of Sonic's Earth. Seeing as Blaze's dimension is very clearly not of the opposite morality duplicate sort that would contain an Evil Sonic, we'd need to propose a third parallel dimension for him to come from. It's not something explicitly contradicted by current canon, but as I said, it'd ruin that nice binary setup the Rushes had, and for very little gain.

Edited by Aquaslash

In any case, what am I, the only one who wants to see an epic showdown between all of Sonic's speed based rivals and Knuckles (can't have rivalry without him)? The worst part is not even god damn Archie's taking advantage of that idea. It's the simplest concept ever, why hasn't it been whored out yet?

They never brought them all together at once, but did they not have both a Sonic-Shadow-Metal Sonic fight and a Sonic-Scourge-Metal Sonic-Metal Scourge (I feel dirty typing that out) fight in the comics?