Awoo.

Sonic Adventure PSN/XBLA Port

Guest -FourKaySix-

*Looks at Sonic Adventure, which to this day gives me hours of fun*

*Looks at Sonic 2006, which is one of the few video games I have absolutely hated*

Yeah, I really don't see it. I can recall falling through the floor in Sonic Adventure once, and the camera getting stuck, but with Sonic 2006 I've had:

- Falling through the floor

- The game crash

- Controls lock up

- Hit detection problems

- Clipping

- Unable to jump away from a wall as Rouge

Mind you, I don't know what glitches may have been added in Sonic Adventure DX, but I can safely say that I haven't even come close to having nearly as many problems in the DC version of SA1 as I did with Sonic 2006.

That was probably why I made the distinction between "Buggy" and "Broken."

Difference is, SA1 was FUN, 06 wasn't.

You can call them buggy games, but you can only really call one FUN.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 3

other than being a little rounder than they should what is so bad about them again?

because I really didn't like the soap shoes.

They look like they were made by someone who didn't know what Sonic's shoes looked like. The DX shoes kind of look like dancing slippers, in fact.

Are we really giving the crap about the shape of Sonic shoes on avatars now?

*shakes head*

I'm not going to get them if they don't look right.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Somehow, when I first played the trial while another XBLA friend of mine was playing the full game after I exited watching a DVD while waiting for the trial to download, somehow the trial kinda went back to the main menu and Sonic Adventure somehow snuck a way into my achievement list. I think it was some kinda glitch.

Has anybody unlocked Metal Sonic or found out how one goes about unlocking him?

I don't have the game but I'd assume it's exactly as you do in SADX on GC or PC- collect every emblem.

I don't have the game but I'd assume it's exactly as you do in SADX on GC or PC- collect every emblem.

Yup. I don't have the DLC, though I notice it still added a further 50 gamer points onto the usual 200; one of the extra DLC achievements being 'Unlock Metal Sonic by collecting all 130 emblems!' Now I can't get all the points without SEGA ripping me off with this DLC. Bah.

Yup. I don't have the DLC, though I notice it still added a further 50 gamer points onto the usual 200; one of the extra DLC achievements being 'Unlock Metal Sonic by collecting all 130 emblems!' Now I can't get all the points without SEGA ripping me off with this game. Bah.

Fix'd.

It's a poor title. It's the old game, no frills at all, and you have to pay extra for what's already included. This game is normal SADX when you have the DLC, and SADX with missing content without it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Gamezone give it a 7/10.

Also, according to the marketplace, it is currently the 11th top rated XBLA game (a step down from the 7th place it had yesterday, but still up there) and the top downloaded game (not sure how that's calculated, but I'm guessing it's weekly).

Nice to see the game get at least one pretty good review. I've been playing it for the past 2 days, and I have to say, I actually think it's pretty good.

SA1 + Leaderboards + Achievements + Avatar Awards + Sharper graphics* + 60 FPS + Custom soundtrack for only 800 MS points is a pretty good deal IMO.

Sure, they could have improved it a bit more (like by fixing glitches and adding widescreen), but I still think it's pretty good the way it is, especially since it's only 800 MS points.

*Not sure if they actually are sharper, but they look that way to me.

It's a poor title. It's the old game, no frills at all, and you have to pay extra for what's already included. This game is normal SADX when you have the DLC, and SADX with missing content without it.

I agree with you there, though I still think it's worth the 800MS point price tag. Not including the missions and Metal Sonic is ridiculous, though, and to release it as DLC a day afterwards just reeks of typical 'quick SEGA cash-in.' It's also a bit of a disappointment that the first "Dreamcast" classic is a port of the PC version which is a port of the Game Cube version which is a remake of the original version. :blink:

Edited by bolt7

It's also a bit of a disappointment that the first "Dreamcast" classic is a port of the PC version which is a port of the Game Cube version which is a remake of the original version. :blink:

haruhi-objection.preview.jpg

The absolute last thing any of us should want is straight ports of Dreamcast titles when there are better versions available. We don't need any Nintendo-style nostalgia-induced foolishness trumping game quality, all in the name of "its not the real original version, it is the later rerelease so it sucks."

Hate this port of an updated rerelease because the original rerelease was crap. Don't hate it simply because it was a port of an updated rerelease rather than the true original game.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

That Ready Up review is great, my kinda review, I always think critics on the internet forget the subjectivity of everything, I always preferred the kind of reviews which end with "if you are into X, you'll love this, but if you're more of a Y kind of person, this won't be for you" etc.

Quick question: does the DLC include the Game Gear games or are those all removed?

As someone on another forums said, if they're still included, then the 400 points is all well worth it.

Is one of the biggest problems people are having w/this port the lack of any changes to some of the techincal problems it had?

Nothing fixed, nothing added, nothing even updated.

Seriously, why isn't there a widescreen option? It's the easiest thing in the world to add to SADX.

Edited by Blue Blood

The absolute last thing any of us should want is straight ports of Dreamcast titles when there are better versions available. We don't need any Nintendo-style nostalgia-induced foolishness trumping game quality, all in the name of "its not the real original version, it is the later rerelease so it sucks."

Hate this port of an updated rerelease because the original rerelease was crap. Don't hate it simply because it was a port of an updated rerelease rather than the true original game.

Well personally, I preferred the Dreamcast release. What we got with DX was the same title with slightly updated visuals, which all looked stupid when matched with the terrible scripting work (see: running on the spot, glitching the gravity during cut scenes) and out-dated character animations. Even then, the majority of in-game models aside from the player characters weren't upgraded at all (such as the humans and ancient echidnas / chao) which was terribly jarring.

I'm not saying 'hurr, it's the later release so it sucks', I'm saying it's not the Dreamcast game and I personally preferred that one. I think Sonic Adventure lost a lot of its charm when it was remade on the Game Cube- and that's my opinion. I get the impression SEGA released this for nostalgias sake- and all the nostalgia I get from it is from playing a half rate Game Cube release.

Edited by bolt7
  • Thumbs Up 2

There are A LOT more gameplay glitches and graphical glitches in the DX version. The Dreamcast version is obviously superior. I don't even see why this is an argument.

SA2 on the other hand, had a great port on the Gamecube.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well personally, I preferred the Dreamcast release. What we got with DX was the same title with slightly updated visuals, which all looked stupid when matched with the terrible scripting work (see: running on the spot, glitching the gravity during cut scenes) and out-dated character animations. Even then, the majority of in-game models aside from the player characters weren't upgraded at all (such as the humans and ancient echidnas / chao) which was terribly jarring.

I'm not saying 'hurr, it's the later release so it sucks', I'm saying it's not the Dreamcast game and I personally preferred that one. I think Sonic Adventure lost a lot of its charm when it was remade on the Game Cube- and that's my opinion. I get the impression SEGA released this for nostalgias sake- and all the nostalgia I get from it is from playing a half rate Game Cube release.

Again, because in this case the rerelease was crap. I'm not saying you're wrong, and I don't even disagree with your reasons (I hated DX as well). But we shouldn't wish for the Dreamcast versions for all of the potential games on this service if there are superior versions available. It is just that DX is very much not superior.

Edited by Tornado

There are A LOT more gameplay glitches and graphical glitches in the DX version. The Dreamcast version is obviously superior. I don't even see why this is an argument.

SA2 on the other hand, had a great port on the Gamecube.

I've played them side by side, and as a fella who's legitimately gotten all 180 Emblems on the Dreamcast version of Sa2, I can say that the Gamecube one, while still a good port, was glitchier than the Dreamcast one. See: Final Chase. Those green tube things Shadow runs up, for example. You can do it smoothly in the DC one, while Shadow stops randomly and sometimes falls through them in the gamecube one. (or at least on my and my friends' copies.) Plus believe it or not, I don't think my DC one ever crashed on me, while the GCN one has a couple times. X_x Especially in Final Chase lols. I just don't like that level I guess. xD

Anyway, there are no gamegear games in the 360/PS3 port of SADX. I guess SEGA didn't wanna give away free games with DX. D= Just watch as they become DLC.

Edited by Aptiva

Again, because in this case the rerelease was crap. I'm not saying you're wrong, and I don't even disagree with your reasons (I hated DX as well). But we shouldn't wish for the Dreamcast versions for all of the potential games on this service if there are superior versions available. It is just that DX is very much not superior.

Ah, well in that sense, I agree. I must ask though- what're some examples of re-releases being better than the originals? We've already gathered it doesn't exactly apply to DX- and with Crazy Taxi replacing the music, surely that's a bad thing too? =X I'm not sure how House of the Dead 2 did on PC, though I hear that title is the most likely candidate to appear on XBLA next...

How about the Xbox version of Shenmue? It'd be awesome to see that on there.

Edited by bolt7

If they do SA2, I want it to be the GameCube version, with online vs mode, and online Chao Races (with EIGHT Chao please). Oh god, I'd pay inflated prices for that in a heartbeat.

YOU HEAR THAT SEGA, HERE'S A CHANCE TO GET EASY MONEY FROM ME.

It begs the question- what would happen to Sonic's SOAPs in a new SA2 release? I seriously doubt SEGA would pay for the branding a third time on a small download rerelease (SA2 and SA2B are different games), so they'd likely be replaced with his normal shoes, as in early versions, and the blimps and posters advertising SOAP would be retextured.

Edited by Blue Blood

If they do SA2, I want it to be the GameCube version, with online vs mode, and online Chao Races (with EIGHT Chao please). Oh god, I'd pay inflated prices for that in a heartbeat.

YOU HEAR THAT SEGA, HERE'S A CHANCE TO GET EASY MONEY FROM ME.

I know right! I would pay so much money for that. Make it twenty dollars SEGA! Go ahead I WILL BUY IT.

It begs the question- what would happen to Sonic's SOAPs in a new SA2 release? I seriously doubt SEGA would pay for the branding a third time on a small download rerelease (SA2 and SA2B are different games), so they'd likely be replaced with his normal shoes, as in early versions, and the blimps and posters advertising SOAP would be retextured.

another reason to want it more then, eh.