Awoo.

Sonic Adventure PSN/XBLA Port

Guest -FourKaySix-

Only took me about 20 minutes to download and install and my connection isn't the fastest speed out there.

Just found this comment from Edward@Sega in response to someone talking about it being the PC version:

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/09/21/sonic-adventure-hits-psn/#more-6220

@Ila Game Gear?

Posted by Edward@Sega

So thats why Sonic DX is advertised as the Dreamcast version, which is really the PC version with stripped content for an $5 charge.

@Dingo You can keep trying to harp on that point all you want. It doesn’t actually change anything, and it certainly doesn’t change the fact that I’m happy to see this game available for a good price, and happy to see the extra content for an even cheaper price. Saying it’s the “PC Version” as though you’ve somehow caught us at something is pretty much just a way to make noise, and not about anything that matters to anyone who isn’t just trolling for the sake of trolling. We made the best version of this we could, and the game is a Dreamcast game, through and through. If you want to believe that everyone is out to get you, then by all means, go ahead. :)

Just got to Twinkle Parks stage as Sonic and the horrors continue.

Where to start...

The laggy controls make the driving section infuriating, you can't make any corner.

Some ramps will random send you into a bottomless pit.

Then you get to the platforming stage and the problems continue...

Collision detection (non existant), happens on loads of bad guys in this stage, very annoying especially when trying to take the high path.

Homing attack refuses to lock onto item boxes again.

Next stage is the city themed one... Christ...

Sonic will fall through the high road shortly after the start if he's running too fast.

Sonic will fall through the high road if he's running too slow.

Sonic will fall through the high road if you sing the blues.

Collision detection... they decided it wasn't important so left it outo f this level.

Homing attack: Will not lock onto item boxes, which means that secret path you take by homing attacking the bad guys ends up with no reward.

Homing attack will only lock onto enemies 50% of the time.

The volcano mountain zone.

Best stage so far. only a collision bug.

Sky Deck...

So then... sky deck... is a level set above a giant bottomless pit... so whats the one important thing thath there should be here that isn't?

Well how about this. Some walls and platforms... are not solid... have fun with that one... On many occasions did Sonic decide to do the ghost thing and walk through solid objects only to plunge to his doom.

On more than one occasion the platforms that had speed boosters on them pushed Sonic into a wall and not around the platform/path. This made it stupidly slow to get down one area that should be speedy.

The final Segment of Sky Deck was a mess, when gravity changes all hell breaks loose controls get reversed, Sonic ends up walking on his head at some points... it's... well... just wait until you get to that stage I won't spoil it for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

45% now... What the heck is going on with this connection? And it's so strange how some people are reporting Sonic '06 levels of glitches and others are reporting it being fine :S

Sonic will fall through the high road shortly after the start if he's running too fast.

That also happen to me on the xbox version.

Some guy's posted the start of a playthrough of the PSN version on YouTube and it seems just fine... The guy goes through Emerald Coast, Egg Hornet, Windy Valley without any glitches happening... And yet reading Gnasher's post it seems unacceptable levels of glitchiness.

...Just what's going on here anyway? Maybe this is the PAL version only?

EDIT: Just checked the profiles of the people who are experiencing the terrible glitches vs. the people who say they aren't, everybody who has had a problem has been in the UK and everybody who said there are no problems is in the US... This is worrying. Do you think they've given us the wrong version or something stupid like that?

Edited by DistantJ

Some guy's posted the start of a playthrough of the PSN version on YouTube and it seems just fine... The guy goes through Emerald Coast, Egg Hornet, Windy Valley without any glitches happening... And yet reading Gnasher's post it seems unacceptable levels of glitchiness.

...Just what's going on here anyway? Maybe this is the PAL version only?

Assuming you're talking about

(only PS3 playthrough I can currently find), I'm pretty sure that he's playing the PAL version (he's from the UK).

Anyway, I agree. I only watched him play through Emerald Coast, but everything seems fine...

Maybe you guys should try re-downloading the game? I dunno.

Edited by gamerguy21

And the credits roll on my Sonic playthrough... you know what it says

"Sonic Adventure DX production staff"

Oh? Wasn't this suposed to be Sonic Adventure and then we upgrade? Hmmmm

Well anyway... so ends the worst Sonic game... and possibly game I have ever played, that was truely horrible.

Sonics game final thoughts

Positive highlights: You have the option to turn off the game. Hearing Dean voice Eggman again was quite epic. Big the Cats trophy randomly popping up during the Twinkle Park stage, proving he was the best thing about my playthough of Sonic Adventure.

Suggestions for improvement: Give every user who downloaded this a refund. Destroy every single PS3 that has a copy of this game installed.

So lets end on some attempts at being funny.

checkouttheconsoles.jpg

Crappyport.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

That's great Gnasher but what are your thoughts on some people reporting the game being absolutely fine? I'm really confused as to what's going on. What time did you download it?

Assuming you're talking about this playthrough (only PS3 playthrough I can currently find), I'm pretty sure that he's playing the PAL version (he's from the UK).

I hope you're right.

You know what, I think you did in fact download a BETA of the game.

There is no other way to explain it.

Its like you were playing SA1: Debug Mode

Hold on.....this video is in Widescreen....there aren't any blue bars and the graphics aren't stretched....WTF?

He doesn't seem to have edited the footage at all. He went straight from XMB to SA

Edited by Scar

Don't particually care what others say about it in all honestly.

I downloaded it at the same time as Shadz did and we both experienced very similar problems with the same stages. We even exchanged a few PMs on the subject and we found the same problems in both versions on the first levels as Sonic. Be around 3PM that we started our downloads, mainly because I sent him a PM at that time saying that it was live.

Looking at my PM inbox someone else on my list who isn't a member here downloaded it and he says "It's a disgrace, it's got more bugs and glitches than the originals and they charge us for the DLC stuff" Me personally I won't be getting the DLC as it didn't interest me, but again, sounds like someone else had issues. Also just look at others comments, I'm not alone with having problems getting this game working as it should.

This wide variety of problems and/or the lack thereof sounds exactly like Sonic Adventure DX always did. Sometimes when you play it everything goes nuts. Textures disappear, collision detection vanishes, controller sometimes freaks out. Other times the game plays without problem, better then it was on the DC (well, not really, but you know). I recall basically the same situation occurring back when I played it on the Gamecube, and there never seemed to be a reason why for it then either.

Edited by Tornado

Hold on.....this video is in Widescreen....there aren't any blue bars and the graphics aren't stretched....WTF?

He doesn't seem to have edited the footage at all. He went straight from XMB to SA

Don't like quoting myself, but can someone please explain to me how this is in widescreen without stretching and blue bars?

I thought it was 4:3 only...

91% downloaded now... Perhaps Tornado is right - the original game does screw up majorly from time to time... It'd explain the mixed responses...

He's running his PS3 in 4:3, and the video is stretched to fill the YouTube video window (Notice how the clock on the XMB is a wide oval etc.) - he must not have a widescreen TV or capture card.

Look at how much better the DC version looks!

Sorry but if you ask me the GC version looks WAY better.

91% downloaded now... Perhaps Tornado is right - the original game does screw up majorly from time to time... It'd explain the mixed responses...

He's running his PS3 in 4:3, and the video is stretched to fill the YouTube video window (Notice how the clock on the XMB is a wide oval etc.) - he must not have a widescreen TV or capture card.

Sorry but if you ask me the GC version looks WAY better.

I see, my mistake.

I still don't quite understant how the images don't look stretched at the edges, but I guess you're right.

It's because it's stretched overall, not just using the smart stretch effect at the edges. Because of SA's cartoony style it doesn't look wrong when stretched.

Off to play it now, finally downloaded and installed. I'll let you guys know if I experience problems.

Just finished Speed Highway and things ran a bit more smoothly for this level, but there was still homing attack problems with collision detection.

Guest Jordan4K6

I've been playing the game for over a hour on the PS3 and I haven't ran into any problems. It runs very smooth but the boarder is a bit of a bitch.

Just to add that I'm experiencing no bugs or glitches which weren't present in the Dreamcast/Gamecube versions of the game. Not to mention it's running in glorious HD and at a constant 60FPS, with very responsive controls. Frankly it's by far the best version of SA1 I've played, pity the borders can't be removed, otherwise I'm very happy.

There must be something wrong with the versions you guys downloaded or something... Unless these were all problems since the DC original that you guys don't remember or something, I mean it's always been a pretty clunky game...

Ok, I just played through Emerald Coast and it doesn't seem as buggy as Gnasher described. I'm thinking the issues are PAL version exclusive like with SA2:B. What the bloody hell Sega...

PS: Anyone else accidentally screwing up their HA's after getting so accustomed to SU's controls?

Edited by Da Goddamn BatGuy

It's not PAL version exclusive.

The friend of mine that I was talking to that had no problems has the PAL version of the PSN port.

I seriously don't know what the hell it is. It's like some downloads are fucked up or something. D:

Surprised to see such smooth playthroughs. As I get further the game seems to be running a lot better for me now, apart from the usual collision and camera problems. I haven't had any glitches loltasticly bad as that one at Emerald Coast with the loop-de-loop I mentioned earlier. Maybe its performance varies 50/50 like someone mentioned earlier? :huh:

If you guys with the problems haven't tried already, I would really suggest re-downloading. There might just have been something seriously wrong with some of the early downloads or something.

It might also just be what Tornado said (randomly messing up and randomly working perfectly), but re-downloading wouldn't hurt.

I'm playing the PAL version, I just defeated Chaos 4 and I've not encountered a single glitch which wasn't present in the Dreamcast or Gamecube version of the game, and the controls feel more responsive than any version of this game I've played before.

Now, SEGA, bring me SA2, don't screw up Sonic 4 and make Sonic Colours as good as it looks and I'll be a very happy with you indeed!

So I've been playing some time trails, and I've gotta say, this mode is radically different in terms of buggyness compared to the story mode. My guess is my download/instalation is a bit borked. I might try re-installing it. But I might do a few other tests first, like connect my controller directly to the unit, see if that helps.

Edit: Oh my... it would appear I'm ranked 5th on Emerald coast...

Edited by Gnasher