Awoo.

Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3

killemoff

Yeah it does look much better than SFIV to me, but I think it could be more anime/cartoony looking like TvC. I don't like the whole "burly dark edgy" thing going on really.

I'd still much prefer sprites, but after hearing that KoFXIII has taken SNK like 5-6 years to make the sprite animations alone... I can kinda understand why Capcom would want to opt for models if they're taking the "as many characters as possible" approach.

Sprites would be so lovely though T_T

Edited by SuperLink

I hate to bring people's hopes up with the possibility of them being disappointed but..

There's a Street Fighter IV stage where either Vega or Balrog will appear in the background and they're obviously playable. On the other hand Hugo is on the construction site stage in Super Street Fighter IV and he's not in the playable roster. Tron Bonne has a chance. Haha.

Edited by Chooch

I hate to bring people's hopes up with the possibility of them being disappointed but..

There's a Street Fighter IV stage where either Vega or Balrog will appear in the background and they're obviously playable.

You say "either", so does that mean the one you're not playing as will appear in the background? Or if both players were playing as one and the other, then would someone still be in the background? I haven't played SFIV very much.

I honestly think Tron's appearance in the background is more of a "let's squeeze in every character we possibly can, even if it means via cutscenes, backgrounds and music rather than playable" case.

Don't know about Vega, but Balrog does indeed show up in the background of SSFIV on a plane in the airport. If someone's playing for Balrog, he won't be there. I heard there's a similar situation with Felicia in a Capcom vs SNK game.

So, seeing as how Capcom's did it several times before, Tron Bonne still has a chance technically. Not holding my breath though...

For some odd reason I'm feeling the same as this. The MvC series has some of the best sprite artwork I've seen and it's kind of sad to see it go for what (IMO) look like plastic models with odd looking shading. I just hope that the classic MvC gameplay remains intact though.

Also no Tron Bonne dissapoints me, she was a nice inclusion in MvC2. I hope classic Megaman doesn't get scrapped as well, he needs to be in a 3d game already.

A majority of those sprites were recycled from other games like "Children of the Atom," "Street Fighter vs Xmen," "Street Fighter Alpha," and much more... not that beautiful if you ask me. However I did like the sprites though, but a lot of them were choppy (Morrigan anyone?).

I think Capcom is using 3D models opposed to sprites to save time and to make it flashy. In TvC, every time someone did a special it would be; initiate special attack > flashy camera angle > cut-scene with a few different camera angles > DONE!. You can't do this with 2D sprites and it does add to the flare in the game. I personally like it when you Metsu-Shoryuken someone in SSFIV and it zooms up on the person and ryu's face while he rocks their jaw XD.

That is why I believe they are going with the 3D approach, not to mention to keep up with the times.

That not to mention to keep up with the times.

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but KoF's sprites make it the most graphically advanced fighting game ever imo >>

If anything it's ahead of the times.

I'm a total whore for hand drawn stuff with amazing animation, but damn it looks so amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I know what you mean and I too like the hand drawn sprites, although KOF's newest sprites look weird to me. I happen to like GG and BB because those sprites look so fluent and glossy, while KOF''s looks more darker and gloomy XD

Like I said too, the whole 3D thing makes it easier for the special attacks/ultras to be more flashy

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but KoF's sprites make it the most graphically advanced fighting game ever imo >>

If anything it's ahead of the times.

I'm a total whore for hand drawn stuff with amazing animation, but damn it looks so amazing.

King of Fighters? I don't know, King of Fighters doesn't look that great to me at all. But that might be because in XII the sprites look like crap. Not because they were low quality, but because they were so heavily zoomed in. Something that they changed in XIII, but even then I think BlazBlue's combination of high definition sprites and beautiful 3D backgrounds make it look a ton better than any King of Fighters game. Or any fighting game for that matter.

Regardless, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 looks fine if not great to me already. I reiterate that the main things I ask for are the return of Viewtiful Joe and Frank West along with some sort of Power Stone representation. Preferably Falcon. Wang-Tang is good too. If I were to go with an unrealistic choice I'd say my favorite character, Accel.

Oh yeah BlazBlue's sprites and animation are brilliant too, and their combination of sprites and backgrounds may be more effective, but I think the sprite animation in KoF (especially XIII) is pretty much unrivalled, even if the sprites aren't as good as BB's.

Like I said too, the whole 3D thing makes it easier for the special attacks/ultras to be more flashy

I don't see why you can't be flashy with sprites of perhaps a brief fully animated scene.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Oh yeah BlazBlue's sprites and animation are brilliant too, and their combination of sprites and backgrounds may be more effective, but I think the sprite animation in KoF (especially XIII) is pretty much unrivalled, even if the sprites aren't as good as BB's.

I don't see why you can't be flashy with sprites of perhaps a brief fully animated scene.

I would imagine that it would take more time to develop if they actually animated 30+ characters Special/ultra attacks, no matter how long it would be. That's just my speculation though. I prefer no cut-scenes and have the fight continue right after the attack then what they're doing now (turn to TvC and SSF4 for examples).

IMO the shit is TOO flashy these days and only has an affect when you first pick up the game and play it for the first time.

Edited by Lunar

I would imagine that it would take more time to develop if they actually animated 30+ characters Special/ultra attacks, no matter how long it would be. That's just my speculation though.

Well time is the entire reason the game is 3D instead of sprites in the first place :P if it was sprite-based I don't see why they couldn't do fully animated stuff to go with it.

I prefer no cut-scenes and have the fight continue right after the attack then what they're doing now (turn to TvC and SSF4 for examples).

IMO the shit is TOO flashy these days and only has an affect when you first pick up the game and play it for the first time.

Well the cutscenes only have to be as long as the developers want them to be, they could be a fraction of a second and perfectly blend into the gameplay if they tried hard enough.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Well time is the entire reason the game is 3D instead of sprites in the first place :P if it was sprite-based I don't see why they couldn't do fully animated stuff to go with it.

Well the cutscenes only have to be as long as the developers want them to be, they could be a fraction of a second and perfectly blend into the gameplay if they tried hard enough.

You mean sprite based animations or full out, drawn-out animation? Cuz if you're talking MvC2 kinda animation than that I'm okay with XD

If you ever played SSFIV, you'll notice that some ultras can be a fraction of a second and some can be ridiculously long. Guile's Sonic Hurricane fits into game play very well, but Ultras like Dudleys first Ultra and Akuma's second Ultra are just retarded-ly long

You mean sprite based animations or full out, drawn-out animation? Cuz if you're talking MvC2 kinda animation than that I'm okay with XD

Naw I mean modern sprites, on the level of BB or KoF ;)

Of course this is all hypothetical since we know it's gonna be 3D, but if it was 2D I'd love for hand drawn nicely animated sprites, not an MvC2 quality re-use-athon.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

^not to mention sprites will always be faster then 3D models. I would imagine that MvC3 will be much slower then MvC2, unless you were a turbo player in MvC2. I preferred Turbo 2

Nah, you can make 3D as fast as you want.

for example, battle fantasia, which is 3D but weirdly animates like a 2D Arcsystemworks game, or SSF4.

^Yea but I have yet to see a 3D fighting game play as fast as MvC2 in Turbo 2. From what I have seen so far all 3D fighting games are much slower compared to their 2D sprite counterparts.

I have Battle Fantasia and I see what you're talking about but when they move as fast their animations skip frames and etc. and IMO it looks a bit funky.

Edited by Lunar

Yeah, it looks funky, but they can do it.

I don't think speed is a limitation of the style of graphics, it'just that no one has bothered to make one yet. I think if Arc Sys had the urge to make a propa 3D guilty gear or something it'd be fast as hell.

I definitely like the art style more than SFIV's. To be fair, though, I don't really care about the art style so long as the competitive gameplay is fun, deep, and challenging. I didn't play SFIV but I play SSIV for this reason.

Edited by The Good Doctor

More screenies.

69b0ed07fa69419d804b346afec8d996.jpg

94ffa7dfe79bc51f1789ffe7d95040b7.jpg

a305039b5759ae460cc7b68b6cf0ef14.jpg

I'm a bit mixed. Iron Man with Proton Cannon and Wolverine's model look awesome. But Ryu's sorta stiff, and Hulk's model looks like complete crap.Hoping those two improve after they touch things up.

Edited by SykoTech

• 2 weeks later...

XD at Deadpool giving the thumbs up. Surprise that the Hulk's illustration isn't in it, but eh...

Can't wait to see more of this at E3. :D

Why does it seem like Ryu vs. Wolverine seems to be the only previous rivarly returning in here? I wouldn't be surprised if Dante and Deadpool were considered rivals.

XD at Deadpool giving the thumbs up. Surprise that the Hulk's illustration isn't in it, but eh...

Can't wait to see more of this at E3. :D

He's there, just shoved in the corner behind Chris for some reason.

Shinkiro Wolverine is awesome. And Morrigan is still hot hawt.

Edited by Tornado