Awoo.

Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3

killemoff

Apparently fan-service is behind some of the characters alternate colors

Here's a little article on that:

As you no doubt saw yesterday with our exclusive reveals of Taskmaster and Akuma, we're always on the hunt for the latest and greatest information surrounding the highly anticipated Marvel vs. Capcom 3. One thing we've been wondering for a while is how some of the alternate costumes for characters are being selected. While some combatants simply feature a new color scheme, others, particularly Marvel's characters, seem rooted in comic book history.

To find out more, we tracked down Chris Baker, Manager of Licensed Games at Marvel Studios. Baker, a former publicist at LucasArts and former writer for the Official Playstation Magazine, was happy to step in for a guest column, tracing his process for five of Marvel's characters - Phoenix, Storm, Dormammu, M.O.D.O.K. and Captain America.

Despite the conflict suggested in the title, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 has exemplified the term "team effort" between two companies. As Manager of Licensed Games at Marvel, I've had the pleasure to work with Capcom's talented team led by Ryota Niitsuma, while also living the dream of actually contributing to such a fantastic title.

Though I've never exactly seen myself as a fashion consultant, as you may have seen a few weeks ago on Marvel.com, my favorite MvC3 contribution has been leading Marvel's efforts to take alternate character color schemes one step further than fighting games normally do, almost creating alternate costumes in some cases. We revealed five alternate color schemes in said blog post, and I'm happy to add another five to that list here at IGN. You may have seen most of these by now—but this is your first chance to know for sure the story behind each alternate. I should also add that you, yourself, may have influenced the characters I'm speaking to, as I've done my best to bring together the ones the community has expressed the most interest in knowing more about…

But first, I need to restate a couple of key things, real quickly (see the first blog post for a little more detail): 1. Gameplay comes first, so the color scheme has to differ enough from the others to easily differentiate in the heat of battle. 2. The color scheme has to fit on the character model.

So, let's start with a character whose alts I know you haven't seen:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1144674p1.html

Some of the alternates are from other Marvel comics, while some even come from MvC2:

marvel-vs-capcom-3-fate-of-two-worlds-20110118053952987-000.jpg

marvel-vs-capcom-3-fate-of-two-worlds-20110118054125248-000.jpg

marvel-vs-capcom-3-fate-of-two-worlds-20110118054423676-000.jpg

marvel-vs-capcom-3-fate-of-two-worlds-20110118054037469.jpg

Edited by LunarEdge

DLC no doubt, as reviewers have already confirmed there to be only 36 characters on the main build.

The Japan site only has space for two characters left (one for each side) though.

Taskmaster Theme(looped)

Akuma Theme (looped)

I want Taskmaster's theme for my morning alarm. If it was the case, I wouldn't hate mornings as much... Especially those fucking Monday mornings!

I want Taskmaster's theme for my morning alarm. If it was the case, I wouldn't hate mornings as much... Especially those fucking Monday mornings!

I can do that via my ipod and iHome and I think I will XD

NEWS YOU GUYS

Sentinel (and less importantly - Juggernaut, Sagat, and Zangief) deconfirmed by Niitusma himself.

Which is quite odd, seeing as Lupinko was able to accurately predict Haggar, Phoenix, Gouki, Taskmaster, and Metro City's inclusion.

Does this mean no Lei-Lei?

It better not. ;A;

Edited by HunterTSF

I will personally love to not see Juggernaut and Sentinel since I always hated them lol. It was obvious some characters would not make a return so I believe this was a obvious loss. Although, Juggernaut and Sentinel would have been the only bigger characters in the game, next to hulk

Niitsuma has been lying out of his teeth throughout this entire development span so much he outclasses Ono in the bullshit department. Deconfirmed more Shotos? Lets throw in Akuma. No more Darkstalkers characters? Darkstalkers team achievement. Who is Taskmaster? Taskmaster appears.

He also says one more character to reveal which is also bullshit since we've already been confirmed 36 characters, and it wouldn't even out the slots.

Alternatively the source is spanish and he just might have been lost in translation somewhere.

NEWS YOU GUYS

Sentinel (and less importantly - Juggernaut, Sagat, and Zangief) deconfirmed by Niitusma himself.

Which is quite odd, seeing as Lupinko was able to accurately predict Haggar, Phoenix, Gouki, Taskmaster, and Metro City's inclusion.

Does this mean no Lei-Lei?

It better not. ;A;

I'll take it with a grain of salt...but does this mean there's still hope for Mega Man? =D

In all seriousness, as much as I hate to say it, it's probably fake, because (like Carbo said) lies about this game have been told before. The fact that the predictions have been entirely correct up to this point is also a large giveaway. It would seem odd if they only got 2 wrong. :/

Oh well, there's always DLC...

I think it says alot about the possibility of Megaman's inclusion if all of his forms appear on an official Capcom Japan poll of characters people would like to see as DLC, with Megaman X topping that list.

I think it says alot about the possibility of Megaman's inclusion if all of his forms appear on an official Capcom Japan poll of characters people would like to see as DLC, with Megaman X topping that list.

That's true. It still strikes me as odd that they would leave both a Megaman incarnation (Zero doesn't count) and a classic series representative out of MVC3. It just feels that the Mega Man series on the whole didn't get proper representation, and considering that it's one of, if not, the most iconic series from Capcom that just seems really off.

Also I'm shocked that X topped that list. I always thought that Classic Mega Man had the largest fanbase. Then again it could be because at least Mega Man has appeared in a game recently, while X hasn't.*

*Barring a game that is only being released in 1 country.

Megaman, Gambit, Frank West and Phoenix Wright super deconfirmed, but states that Phoenix Wright is definitely on the cards as DLC if MvC3 does well enough.

Also I should probably mention, that interview where Niitsuma "deconfirmed" Sentinel? That interview was not legitimately translated. Some guys on GAF listened to the actual audio interview and found out that it was an entirely new trail of thought when Niitsuma talked about characters that Marvel didn't want in the game, so Niitsuma didn't disconfirm anything about him. According to Lupinko some review copies practically confirm Hsien-Ko and Sent at this point as well.

Expect the last reveals to occur sometime this week.

Edited by Carbo

What I don't understand is why he said it was because he had very few techniques, yet they said they completely revamped Jill's moveset for the DLC. Why couldn't they just do the same for ol' Megaman? :\

Its a rough translation but it basically says that he has few techniques that would arguably be balanced or viable against other characters, which is why Zero was a better pick. Any moves in the game are already covered and done so better than Megaman would, most notable one being Arthur.

But really you cant exactly "revamp" Megaman like Jill. Jill is a high-ranking op for numerous organizations giving her enough manuverability and variety with guns and close-combat to experiment with and there isn't really a signature trait to her combat style. Megaman on the other hand has just two real abilities: buster cannon and copying abilities, almost all of which are projectiles. He has to go by signature traits.

Edited by Carbo

But really you cant exactly "revamp" Megaman like Jill. Jill is a high-ranking op for numerous organizations giving her enough manuverability and variety with guns and close-combat to experiment with and there isn't really a signature trait to her combat style. Megaman on the other hand has just two real abilities: buster cannon and copying abilities, almost all of which are projectiles. He has to go by signature traits.

So they've got enough material to work with when they made Arthur into a character, but MEGA MAN would have too few techniques? The fuck is that noise?

Hopefully we'll be able to see some other form of Mega Man in DLC. EXE and Volnutt would have a lot of moves. I don't see any reason they couldn't use one of them if Classic Mega Man didn't make the cut for them.

Hell, I'd even take Mega Man X over nothing.

Megaman on the other hand has just two real abilities: buster cannon and copying abilities, almost all of which are projectiles. He has to go by signature traits.

In the Ghosts and Goblins games, Arthur also almost only has projectiles as attacks- and a lot less of them overall. And he's probably more true-to-form than any other character in the game.

Edited by The Soldier

states that Phoenix Wright is definitely on the cards as DLC if MvC3 does well enough.

Oh so phoenix will be showing up then, because let's face it this game will sell like hot cakes. Though I'm still pissed he pulled the "if the game sells enough" bit.

They could've done what they did for Taskmaster and possibly gave him abilities of other characters if they really needed to represent his copy abilities. Heck, they could've even gone with his projectile weapons in the games but changed a lot of them to be close range attacks. For a start, Megaman has quite a few weapons that are close range normally. Weapons like Quick Boomerang, Top Spin, Charge Kick, Slash Claw and Flame Sword are all close ranged weapons, and could be easily be put into his moveset. Blade weapons like Rolling Cutter, Metal Blade and Gyro Attack could also easily be changed to close range attacks and make sense, not to mention all of the barrier weapons. They even managed to make a different enough moveset for him in MVC2 without him being a clone of anyone, and they managed to incorporate his abilities there well. (Albeit switching weapons using Eddie was a bit inconvinient mid-battle.)

The choice to replace Mega Man with Arthur was also kind of a silly choice as well IMO. I don't see why they dropped one of Capcom's most iconic characters for a far less known one.

Again - part of the reason he isn't in is cause any moves that Megaman could have had going for him were pretty much done already by other characters, and arguably done better to balance the style out. Why they'd replaced him with Arthur I have no idea even though I personally like that decision better cause it gives for more unpredictable variety, but at this point now that he's in, there really isn't that much of a point adding him, especially Classic.

X is still leading the top of the Japanese DLC polls though so we'll probably see him eventually.

Edited by Carbo

The choice to replace Mega Man with Arthur was also kind of a silly choice as well IMO. I don't see why they dropped one of Capcom's most iconic characters for a far less known one.

Arthur, and by extension Ghouls and Ghosts is pretty popular amongst a certain age group.

Saying he's far lesser known is only true for... kids really who didn't play much Ghouls and Ghosts when it came out.

I'm not debating that Arthur is as well known as Mega Man, but he has earned the right to be in this game.

Zero is way more suiting to fighting in a fighter then plain old megaman, and although he's capcom's mascot or whatever, one rep is enough for the series, imo.

Why not kick Spencer out? Arthur hate brigade needs to BACK OFF

(ps why is there no monster hunter rep)