Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

Who is the "we" here, and why am I just me? It's split right now, and to be fair, Gen IV and II don't exactly have clever names either. That's the issue, you said you had a problem with the name origins being obvious, you did NOT say it has to do with the way they roll off the tongue. If you said THAT, I would have been able to understand where you're coming from. Because Confagrigus is a ridiculous name.

The we was me and Shadic, the only two who didn't praise the names so far, and you are just you because you're the one who told us to deal with it.

I didn't say I had a problem with obvious names; I said I like ones that aren't obvious. Liking one thing doesn't mean I automatically have a problem with its opposite. I'm just apathetic towards most of the puns. Maybe I'd have been more clear if I said I didn't like the sound of them either, but I still never said that I specifically dislike them.

I like names that have less obvious origins.

Which couldn't be farther from the case here.

So no, I'm not thrilled.

Implied dislike. English language is a bitch.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Implied dislike. English language is a bitch.

I personally don't think I'd have thought that if I was someone else reading my post, but that's fair enough.

On another note, Cheren and Belle are now Cheren and Bianca.

See now there's another problem I have with these names. For one example, Belle is an English name, and if the Japanese games use an English name, that should be kept in the translated versions. Same thing goes for Wargle and more.

...I'd never in a million years have seen what was supposed to be funny about Cofagrigus without someone pointing it out, because it's such an unwieldy jumble of letters I wouldn't have known where to start. That really is the main problem with these names; not the puns, but how unpalatable some of them are. All of the "we're gonna use the weirdest possible letters for the pronunciation we chose just to be different" stuff isn't helping either... lookin' at you, Sawk and Unfezant.

Again, though, they're not all bad, and I'm already starting to get used to most of the mediocre ones. Volcarona, Vanilluxe and its whole family, Galvantula, Vullaby, Trubbish, Swadloon, Litwick and Woobat are all fairly good. Oh, and bonus points go to Roggenrola. Its name still sucks, but it works oddly well as a counterpart to Geodude, just like Woobat does with Zubat. Nostalgia score!

See now there's another problem I have with these names. For one example, Belle is an English name, and if the Japanese games use an English name, that should be kept in the translated versions. Same thing goes for Wargle and more.

I kind of disagree when it comes to monster names; not all of the puns will work for people who actually speak the language. Wargle always sounded uncomfortably like "gargle" to me... it felt a little too Muppet-y for my taste. I'm not saying that Braviary is much better, but I'm sure someone could've come up with a better English alternative. Belle -> Bianca really doesn't make much sense at all, though.

Edited by Octarine

I personally don't think I'd have thought that if I was someone else reading my post, but that's fair enough.

On another note, Cheren and Belle are now Cheren and Bianca.

But Wargle sounds stupid like the rest of the names you don't seem "thrilled" about. It sounds like gibberish a baby would spout.

Also, please don't forget that most of these names are still rumored, Octarine.

Edit: Worded that better because the IGN ones are the real McCoy.

Edit 2: The hell happened with my English in the first sentence?

Edited by Hero Of Fate

But Wargle sounds stupid like the rest of the names you other ones you don't seem "thrilled" about. It sounds like gibberish a baby would spout.

Also, please don't forget that most of these names are still rumored, Octarine.

Edit: Worded that better because the IGN ones are the real McCoy.

Well Braviary isn't a big improvement so it's a pretty pointless change.

I will say though, that some are fantastic as well as growing on me. Roggenrola, I despised at first, and adore now. Of course there are some that will never be good. Hello Sawk and Throh.

I still kinda meh on the names right now, but I'll get used to it, besides its not gonna stop me from buying the games anyway.

I remember everyone acting the exact same way about the fourth gen names. We always hate them all at first, and then decide that really we only hate a few of them.

Edited by Blue Blood

Pokémon Black & White themed DSi bundles coming to Europe

When Pokémon Black and White hit Europe on March 4th, choosing which coloured game to go for won't be the only difficult decision on the shelves, as the games will also launch alongside two limited edition DSi consoles.

Available in black or white, the bundles come with a copy of the appropriately-coloured game, with the console bearing a picture of Reshiram and Zekrom. They're not the first limited edition Pokémon DS consoles, but they are the first to reach Europe, and so should spark the interest of collectors and late adopters.

Pics of the specially designed DSi's here:

http://ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/01/limited_edition_pokemon_black_and_white_dsis_to_hit_europe

Oh okay, so now I may be trading in my DSi? Hahaha, I'm weak.

The Black one. It's awesome, and the gold text is an especially nice detail.

large.jpg

Edited by Blue Blood

haunterb.jpg

Goddamit Nintendo, stop giving Europe all the cool shit. I thought this was supposed to be about AMERICA!

haunterb.jpg

Goddamit Nintendo, stop giving Europe all the cool shit. I thought this was supposed to be about AMERICA!

Nintendo... giving Europe... cool shit?

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

First the UK gets a release date earlier than the US now they get cool looking DSi's? Why you gotta be like that Ninty?

Un-related: Wow. I had no idea that the website was updated and more names were revealed. Normally I'm on this a lot earlier.

Edited by Torcano

• 2 weeks later...

Victini available over Wi-Fi in the UK on launch day and at select retailers

You'll be able to get hold of the Legendary Pokémon Victini via Wi-Fi connection when Pokémon Black & White is released on 4 March.

Yes, from launch day you'll be able to download the Liberty Pass item which enables you to travel from Castelia City to Liberty Island.

Here you'll find the Legendary Pokémon Victini. Victini is a new Legendary Pokémon. It's 000 on the Pokédex and was available to download in Japan on launch day too.

Victini is described as a Victory Pokémon who has the ability Victory Star. It is 1'04" tall and weighs 8.8lbs.

However, you'll only be able to catch Victini for a limited time. It is available until 22 April so make sure you get your Liberty Pass before then.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=23130

MCV also says Victini will be available at select retailers. I expect this wi-fi event will be available in the whole of Europe, since UK events normally happen all around Europe. No word on a U.S. event yet.

UK Tour revealed in MCV magazine

http://content.yudu.com/A1qpx0/MCV210012011/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http://www.mcvuk.com/digital-edition

Tour locations:

Westfield London

Silverburn Shopping Centre, South Glasgow

Metrocentre, Newcastle

Bullring Birmingham

The Centre Milton Keynes

It's on page 59. Looks like Nintendo are going to be doing their biggest Pokémon marketing campaign ever.

Hm, if there's anything else interesting happening I may just go to the Bullring. My sister lives in Brum and it's been a while since I've been out there with her (even if she is here every weekend). Sounds cool though. I can't wait for these games. And to think, a little while ago I'd pretty much lost all interest in the series. Eeee!

Any word on who's selling the special DSis? I neeeeeeeeeeed the Black one.

Hm, if there's anything else interesting happening I may just go to the Bullring. My sister lives in Brum and it's been a while since I've been out there with her (even if she is here every weekend). Sounds cool though. I can't wait for these games. And to think, a little while ago I'd pretty much lost all interest in the series. Eeee!

Any word on who's selling the special DSis? I neeeeeeeeeeed the Black one.

The Bullring is the closest one to me, so I'll be heading to that event, too.

Not seen anyone listing the DSi's online yet, but the boxart for them popped up yesterday.

7bd377d0b7ed333243d90de56addbdcb20110124202123.png

978df51c538d73011d25997c74073a2a20110124202123.png

http://planetenintendo.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/deux-packs-collector-pour-pokemon-v-noire-blanche/

Ooh, awesome. Pokemon Noire sounds sounds badass, Blance not so much. Just reminds me of Blanche from Corrie, and Lord knows you wouldn't her around.