Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Please tell me that you can fold that thing. I thought one of the main points of a handheld is that you can put it in your pocket

Game%2BBoy%2BColor%2BDandelion.jpgSega%2BGame%2BGear.pngimg-psp-3000.jpgvita.jpgapple_iphone-5-16gb-299033.jpgharvest_moon_a_wonderful_life_frontcover

Size is the issue, not the ability to fold.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

Why doesn't it have a hinge? Are hinges so fucking expensive that they were the first thing

Because kids break the Nintendo DS hinges fecking easily. I know this with my own niece and nephew and they've gone through countless DS's because they have broken the DS hinge due dropping it by mistake/an accident. Now my niece and nephew isn't the only one to do this and countless kids have done this as well and it's a sensible design for kids who won't break the bloody screen off now xD

....So its too big to fit in my pocket, and it doesn't fold and the carrying cases are sold separately.

.....Nintendo why?

....So its too big to fit in my pocket, and it doesn't fold and the carrying cases are sold separately.

.....Nintendo why?

Ever tried putting it in a bag ? Seriously who puts handhelds consoles in their pockets nowadays unless it's a phone or iPod.

.....Nintendo why?

because cash cow

..It doesn't look too big to fit in a pocket. It looks notably smaller than a PSP and a Vita, and its definitely too much of a hyperbole to say its as big as a Game Gear or a Nomad. Come on, guys. Really? Talk about overblowing the comparisons for the sake of bashing. XD

• Thumbs Up 6

Ever tried putting it in a bag ? Seriously who puts handhelds consoles in their pockets nowadays unless it's a phone or iPod.

Everyone? Why the hell would I leave it in a bag when its extremely possible for someone to steal it should I put it down.

Which has happened to me before in the past with Gameboy SP; I lost that, and my copy of Leafgreen. So yea, no.

• Thumbs Up 4

Everyone? Why the hell would I leave it in a bag when its extremely possible for someone to steal it should I put it down.

But it's less likely to get pickpocketed with a bulging Nintendo handheld coming out of your pockets (there is a Innuendo in there lol). okay then.

Also a person would keep check off all items on them at all times when carrying devices. I bloody well do.

Edited by Master Croft

..It doesn't look too big to fit in a pocket. It looks notably smaller than a PSP and a Vita, and its definitely too much of a hyperbole to say its as big as a Game Gear or a Nomad. Come on, guys. Really? Talk about overblowing the comparisons for the sake of bashing. XD

Except there's a pic from a few pages back clearly showing it as large as an unfolded 3DS, and unless your pockets are huge, I'm pretty positive its not going to fit.

But it's less likely to get pickpocketed with a bulging Nintendo handheld coming out of your pockets (there is a Innuendo in there lol). okay then.

Unless you have the attention span of a five year old, there's really no way somebody should pickpocket you.

I've carried my handhelds in my pockets for as long as I can remember, and never once has anyone attempted to pickpocket me.

Not saying it can't happen, but how often does someone get pick-pocketed compared to things stolen from their bags?

• Thumbs Up 4

Contrary to what people think, this is actually GENIUS when bundled with the price cut on Wii U. I'll try to explain it the best I can.

First off, Nintendo told Investors that they will make a major profit this year(I can't find the profit amount, I know it was HUGE, like 90 Billion yen or something). They then realize that the Wii U is floundering like a fish out of water and that the PS4, as it stands right now, is the giant grizzly bear that's looking for a snack(Think of Wii U as the fish where PS4 is the bear because of how it's powerful, being financed by a corporation that can take losses on hardware, etc). They then realize that they have to save the Wii U But ALSO that they still have that profit goal to make or investors will be furious with them. 

They then realize that if you follow the web, there is one Nintendo game that is constantly being mentioned :Pokemon X/Y. However, at the current price that the 3DS is selling at, they can't expect to turn around and make massive profits in certain markets such as America. The best way speaking from a logistics standpoint is to have a lower priced version of the 3DS hardware that can play the 3DS Library including Pokemon. Obviously though, They can't price drop any of the 3DS current systems to a lower price due to them making minor profits at the moment. If you had to get rid of a feature on the 3DS to the drop the price, the smartest choice is the 3DS Screen. It's expensive compared to the rest of the system and from my experience with other 3DS owners it's rarely used. You could drop the DS compatibility, but if you're trying to sell this as THE DS model for a low price, you should cover all your bases.

This leads to the creation of the 2DS, which A) Allows for Nintendo to have a Lower Price 3DS that still has 90% of the functionality B ) Have a way to make Pokemon sell to ALL age groups, even those less fortunate in terms of finances(Yes, Pokemon is a $40 game, but you can get Pokemon AND a 2DS for $170. That's opening up a whole new market.) C) Allow for them to cut the Wii U price to $300 WITH a game, making it be $160 less then a PS4 with the same stuff(Yes, PS+ trial, but it's not a full game), and finally D) allows for them to finally begin to push the Wii U sales wise with it's games coming out this fall.

All in all, this is Nintendo going "We can't screw around the profits anymore. It's time to play Hardball." THIS is the Nintendo that consumers want to see, the one that is willing to think outside the box for ways to make profits and is willing to play aggressively with the price. Consumers win by getting a lower priced system, Nintendo wins by gaining a larger install base to sell games to, and Retailers win by having a reason to keep the Wii U on the shelves of stores.

I'm surprised people are getting so worked up over the 2DS. I see completely why it is being made and it makes perfect sense to me. Its not for me, but for the target audience it is for, it makes so much sense for Nintendo to do this. My original DS's hinges are coming undone little by little, so I try not to use it anymore. I'm sure kids break those hinges all the time, so making a nonbendable one, will make it more durable for kids.

Its not targeted for people like us. We will still buy the normal 3DS and the XL. IF its not targeted to us, we should not get so worked up over it, since it won't effect us, unless it becomes the dominate DS. It looks more like a kids version, and thats who it is targeted to. A DS that can be more kid friendly and likely more durable to them. Yes, I know if we are trying to compare the two systems between each other, it may not make much sense to us, but to my business mind, this is rather smart.

No way is that thing thinner than a PSP. I think you're overestimating the PSP's size.

The problem isn't how compact it is, it's how square it is. It doesn't have any length thin enough to fit into an average-sized pocket.

It looks bigger than a 3DS game box, look at it that way. I don't see anyone carrying 3DS game boxes in their pockets.

I appreciate the 2DS' place on the market, I just find it ironic to market to kids when it looks so easily damageable and not as easily transportable as other models.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 4

.....Nintendo why?

They didn't even bother including the charger (an essential part of ANY electronic device) with the 3DS XL over here in the UK and you want them to give you free carrying cases? LEL! 

• Thumbs Up 1

So who's planning on buying the 2DS

In the case of my 3DS getting broken, I'm on board for it; especially since I'm quite clumsy and careless and have already dropped the 3DS a few times already and slightly dented the rims. My partner, who can't see 3D effects, also sees it as a relief since they were keen on getting one yet were put off by things like the price point for the sake of the 3D and it's overall size.

Also a big reminder that I wasn't able to stare at the 3D for too long, yet still loved the effect and how much it added. Nice to remove that temptation, haha.

Yeah, I guess it is a bit big for pocketspace, but I don't really care. 

I'm probably gonna get one since the bigger shoulder buttons, concave buttons and price range make it sound all too beautiful. Plus, the fact that it looks like its shaped like Nintendo's older consoles is really awesome too.

If it also had a GBA port built into the back of this, this would be my dream handheld.

• Thumbs Up 3

If it also had a GBA port built into the back of this, this would be my dream handheld.

Have to admit that would get a sale from me too.

• Thumbs Up 1

We could wish, but obviously doubt they will make another handheld with a GBA slot.

I know the handheld likely wont be fitting into pockets from the looks of it, but kids often dont put their handhelds into their pockets like we may. Also, these handhelds are often heavy if you are shorts wearer in summer like I am and they make them sag alot from the weight. This still looks more like a kids versions of the 3DS, which is fine with me for them.

Seeing as the 2DS' screens are modelled after the original 3DS model, does this mean that we'll be seeing a 2DS XL in the next year or so...?

So long as it plays all the same games as the 3DS, I'd certainly get it. It's cheaper, and I personally don't give a fuck about 3D nor am I ideologically fussed about it not fitting in a pants pocket. I'm a woman; I carry at least one bag on me all the time anyway. As a person who wants a Nintendo handheld, I see no reason not to go for it first.