Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

I'm okay with this version, it's cheaper and more affordable for gamers and parents alike. I already own a 3DS so I won't be getting one. The big bulkyness of the console reminds me of the old brick gameboys for some reason, plus it's in mono too. xD I don't get why people are complaining about it, it's targeted more towards kids and older gamers who are sensitive to the 3D on the 3DS. Parents are probably going to get confused about the games though. "Excuse me but where are the 2DS games at?" Yep I can totally see this happening. :V

• Thumbs Up 1

Because kids break the Nintendo DS hinges fecking easily. I know this with my own niece and nephew and they've gone through countless DS's because they have broken the DS hinge due dropping it by mistake/an accident. Now my niece and nephew isn't the only one to do this and countless kids have done this as well and it's a sensible design for kids who won't break the bloody screen off now xD

This is my idea for why it's not a clamshell design.

I don't think they'd have to worry about the pocket problem. If it's targeted to kids, then you know how kids are. If they're on the go, they're probably going to be playing their game for hours on end.

I know I was that way with my consoles, and I had big enough pocket to store them. But, lol, I would rather just play the game then put it up until I was bored.

Contrary to what people think, this is actually GENIUS when bundled with the price cut on Wii U. I'll try to explain it the best I can.

They then realize that the Wii U is floundering like a fish out of water and that the PS4, as it stands right now, is the giant grizzly bear that's looking for a snack(Think of Wii U as the fish where PS4 is the bear because of how it's powerful, being financed by a corporation that can take losses on hardware, etc). They then realize that they have to save the Wii U But ALSO that they still have that profit goal to make or investors will be furious with them. 

But it's not.

The 2DS looks ugly as hell and whilst I wouldn't mind a cheaper 3DS model so I can play the 3 games I'm interested in, just that thing looks terrible to use.

As for the Wii U's price cut, is this even going to make any difference? 

Retailers here in the UK have been selling both the Basic and Pro for £50 less than the RRP for the best part of 2 months now and it hasn't made any difference to the sales of the system.

And this was before both the PS4 and X1 had even been shown to the public. And I think this will end up being true for Sony's recent GamesCom vita price cuts, the memory cards were not cut enough, The vita price... mehawehhhh maybe? But the cards is where it counts with that thing, and the price cuts there were not enough, This is the same.

The whole size of the 2DS is also a problem. I can fit A Vita, PSP, Ipod touch (1st gen), a DS and even a DSi into a pocket quite easilly, I'm sure I could do the same for a gamegear and maybe depending on the pants a Nomad. No way can you do the same for that thing unless you're wearing those combats with the huge square pockets.

Now the only counter argument I can see here would be iPads, but... really... for all the stuff you can do on an iPad vs a 3DS and I'll even extend that to a Vita, is this even a comparison?

Also, when I was younger, I'd often put the handhelds under the seat of the car when on the go or mom would put the into her purse. I honestly haven't carried my handhelds by pocket that much ever, even these days, I dont put them in my pockets that often.

As someone mentioned though, I do see there being confusion as to where the 2DS games are when parents go to buy games for their kids. Hopefully there will be some information near them that explains it or some helpful store employees to do the explaining, so there isn't another WiiU confusion with people with the 2DS.

My sister has fucked up so many DSes over the years, and the main problem has always been hinges breaking, so from a child's perspective this is actually an ingenious decision to remove essentially, a fundamental flaw for younger users where they wouldn't be able to play a 3DS with a floppy top screen that doesn't stay in place.

Plus this looks bulky as fuck so I bet it's resistant to drops and tumbles.

• Thumbs Up 7

As for the Wii U's price cut, is this even going to make any difference?

The problem I have with people speculating system futures is that they're focusing on one thing. I shake my head every time when someone says the Wii U is dead because Pikmin 3 didn't save the Wii U or that Lego City didn't make it sell millions. People seem to not get it.

It's not 'one' thing, it's the combination of all of them! A price cut and a steady stream of games across various franchises such as Zelda, Sonic, Mario, Donkey Kong, Wii Fit, Wii Party, Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Olympics, etc will sell the system. The Wii U is the most logical choice this holiday season with it's incredible line up.

$100 less than PS4

Great games

FREE online

Super Smash Bros & Mario Kart 2014

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is good news for me, my little brother wants the latest DS system and never uses the 3D when using my 3DS, and on top of that, it's cheaper than the 3DS. $130 for a portable console that's almost as powerful as the Game Cube, not bad.

The only problem I see with the 2DS is its name. It makes it sound like a predecessor

The only problem I see with the 2DS is its name. It makes it sound like a predecessor

True, but it's the most logical name for it. You can't use 3 for obvious reasons. Any numbers above 3 don't make any sense. Can't shorten it to DS because we already have that. DS2? Still makes it sound like a predecessor with the 3DS on the market.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just made a post edit only to discover the topic had moved on... so here is what I wrote...

'Do I want one?'

I want a device that can play 3DS games... However, I am only interested in a handful, Ace Attorney, Sonic and possibly Layton... and maybe if I grow amazingly depressed, Pokemon.

Thats it.

I want. A cheap device to play them, I do not care about what features/extras it has, and to a point I don't particually care about the looks. (to a point).

Now, the 2DS should be the answer to that problem,

But... when I do the sums and check out the retailers, despite the price cut, it's cheaper to get a pre-owned 3DS at game. Now, assuming theres a way for me to inspect the system, I assume it's not too hard to judge the date of the unit and if I can push the buttons/check the screen, I assume it might be possible to date it.

Why would I go for the 2DS, when the 3DS is cheaper if I don't mind it being pre-owned?

Heres a question. Can the 3DS play normal DS games because it has the hardware from the DS build into it? Or can it play normal DS games as a happy side effect from when it reads 3DS games?

If it's a case of theres a cost to make the 3DS play normal DS games, why not take out this function completely? It's not like a normal DS is that expensive these days and considering how many have been sold, this would appeal to DS/non 3DS owners like mad.

True, but it's the most logical name for it. You can't use 3 for obvious reasons. Any numbers above 3 don't make any sense. Can't shorten it to DS because we already have that. DS2? Still makes it sound like a predecessor with the 3DS on the market.

They could probably use Un-3DS, but... guess that sounds bad. lol

Logic doesn't really matter in marketing. Sonic had Werehog and that means Pig-Man. Urchinwolf fits more logically.

It's all about what sounds good.

I just made a post edit only to discover the topic had moved on... so here is what I wrote...

'Do I want one?'

I want a device that can play 3DS games... However, I am only interested in a handful, Ace Attorney, Sonic and possibly Layton... and maybe if I grow amazingly depressed, Pokemon.

Thats it.

I want. A cheap device to play them, I do not care about what features/extras it has, and to a point I don't particually care about the looks. (to a point).

Now, the 2DS should be the answer to that problem,

But... when I do the sums and check out the retailers, despite the price cut, it's cheaper to get a pre-owned 3DS at game. Now, assuming theres a way for me to inspect the system, I assume it's not too hard to judge the date of the unit and if I can push the buttons/check the screen, I assume it might be possible to date it.

Why would I go for the 2DS, when the 3DS is cheaper if I don't mind it being pre-owned?

Heres a question. Can the 3DS play normal DS games because it has the hardware from the DS build into it? Or can it play normal DS games as a happy side effect from when it reads 3DS games?

If it's a case of theres a cost to make the 3DS play normal DS games, why not take out this function completely? It's not like a normal DS is that expensive these days and considering how many have been sold, this would appeal to DS/non 3DS owners like mad.

Because the launch model 3DS has awful durability and stiff buttons and a non-matte finish that shows fingerprints?

And yes it plays DS games, did you watch the trailer?

• Thumbs Up 1

They could probably use Un-3DS, but... guess that sounds bad. lol

Logic doesn't really matter in marketing. Sonic had Werehog and that means Pig-Man. Urchinwolf fits more logically.

It's all about what sounds good.

That's not what Werehog means. Werehog means "Werewolf Hedgehog," because Werehog is a portmanteau of those two words, and a portmanteau is a logical characteristic of language.

Regardless though, 2DS sounds fine to me. What would you consider calling it that sounds better than that and markets it appropriately?

This is just guessing, but considering the DS and 3DS use the same slot (and possibly even same media type?  like, it's just gotten cheaper to make game cards with more data on them?  Would make sense if the main purpose of the nodule on 3DS games is to prevent you plugging it into a DS) I doubt it does cost any more to have DS functionality.

Plus, Nintendo know that most of their target audience is still happily using their old DS.  Why would they NOT want you to upgrade?  They don't care if you trade in your old DS or not, they have your money from the old DS, and they'll get your money from the 3DS even if you trade in your old one.  And since trading in the old one feels better for the consumer and encourages them to get the new system... of course they'll want to convince you CAN lose your old DS and still play games.

(I edited this post a lot, just to say this is the final version now).

Edited by JezMM

That's not what Werehog means. Werehog means "Werewolf Hedgehog," because Werehog is a portmanteau of those two words, and a portmanteau is a logical characteristic of language.

I know that's what it's meant to be. But

Were = Human

Hog = Pig

They just chose werehog because it sounds better.

Besides, isn't werewolf already two words put together?

Regardless though, 2DS sounds fine to me. What would you consider calling it that sounds better than that and markets it appropriately?

I don't know. I don't work for Nintendo, but as a possible consumer, I can see how it can be confusing. They should choose a name that doesn't confuse the soccer mom.

And yes it plays DS games, did you watch the trailer?

And like I said in my post... is that because the DS playback is from hardware added in as an extra in order for it to play, or because it's a by product of getting 3DS games to play.

Because if it's down to hardware being added as an extra. Take that out of the 2DS and release it at an even lower cost.

..... Ok is anyone else getting slightly confused now with trying to type 2DS & 3DS?

You also don't get a warranty. Break it? Fork $75.

All pre-owned hardware from GAME comes with a warrenty of a year.

Nintendo products use the same architecture (Wii --> Wii U) (DS --> 3DS) which is probably why backwards compatibility tends to work out of box. It's also a reason why systems like PS4 and Xbox One don't offer it.

• Thumbs Up 1

However, I am only interested in a handful, Ace Attorney, Sonic and possibly Layton... and maybe if I grow amazingly depressed, Pokemon.

...Not sure what you mean by this, are you clearly interested in playing Pokémon, or taking a dig at people who do?

Because if you are you're honestly doing it in the wrong place lol.

Edited by okinoS repuS
  • Thumbs Up 2

$130?! Looks like I won't be missing out on Pokemon X and Y and Sonic Lost world after all!

...Not sure what you mean by this, are you clearly interested in playing Pokémon, or taking a dig at people who do?

I thought I was taking a dig at myself to be honest. Maybe it's because I sorta have an interest in it but just don't like it that much to actually get all excited and rush out to buy it?

Because if you are you're honestly doing it in the wrong place lol.

I don't think he was insulting the game; X and Y look to be everything we could possibly want out of the series (3d battles, bigger world, ect) minus it being a MMO (you know, something that would be a bonified success and make the Wii U sell like candy Nintendo angry.png), so I cannot see how anyone would be disappointed with X and Y unless they don't like Pokémon, esscally with the new Pokémon's changing the formula for the better (really enjoyed playing Pokémon White; the sprite animations, better item management, and 2.5D world all looked great :)). 

As for the price, I might have to get a 2DS in the future at that 130$ price point (cheap enough to get that + Lost World, Pokémon, Mario 3d Land, and DKCR at a solid price) and it looks more conferrable to hold than the normal 3ds, and the screens look a bit better too (something that's hard to be impressed with; the 3ds's screens are leave a lot to be desired after owning a Vita for a few months :().

It was a legitimate question whether it was a dig or not, I was just expressing that there is a large user base on this very forum who like Pokémon and it wouldn't be wise to insult people that do play it, there's a difference between insulting an IP and insulting those that play said IP :P 

I'm in the same boat, I like Pokémon sure, but hate the games with a burning passion because it's an turn based RPG, the types of games I hate the most simply due to not being able to invest myself into it or have the patience to grind to get better, but even X/Y is swaying me into a potential purchase simply with the overhaul of the graphics, 3D battles and things like Pokémon Amie! As well as trainer customization etc. So I'm on the ropes about a purchase too, but I am thinking about it!