Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

This is a great idea for a console, because at this point who gives a flying fuck about 3D.

*Raises hand* What? It's a neat optional extra that you don't need to wear fucking glasses to use. It's at least good enough that I actually kinda miss it when playing P4G on my Vita.

ku-medium.gif

I just...I...I'm...soo confused....why?...

bildschirmfoto2013-08zcsjl.png

I can't decide if it's sorta alright or completely daft. Mind you it's not being marketed towards me... meh maybe if it were foldable I'd want it.

So its the exact same fucking thing as a 3DSXL save that it LOSES a feature? isn't it more of a loss to buy this thing then instead of buying a 3DSXL? seeing as you don't have a power saver mode.

At least if you never have to fold it, you won't get marks on your top screen from the bottom one...

...go 2DS?

More easily scratched. Granted that could happen with the current 3DS design.

I just...I...I'm...soo confused....why?...

So its the exact same fucking thing as a 3DSXL save that it LOSES a feature? isn't it more of a loss to buy this thing then instead of buying a 3DSXL? seeing as you don't have a power saver mode.

Yes,but if people would rather sacrifice those features to get the stuff they do care about at a cheaper price point, that's ultimately their prerogative and one that Nintendo can make money off of.

Edited by Chili Dawg
  • Thumbs Up 1

I both hope and expect it sells as well as the Basic Wii U, 20 GB PS3, and whatever that super cheap 360 was called.

Don't Western consumers tend to gravitate away from these gimped models of pre-existing consoles anyway?

I think I'm slightly more offended by the fact that is has mono sound (though it has stereo if you use headphones/external speakers).

Are the screens even bigger than the normal 3ds?

Edited by Jetronic

Yes,but if people would rather sacrifice those features to get the stuff they do care about at a cheaper price point, that's ultimately their prerogative and one that Nintendo can make money off of.

3D is a nice gimmick and I love when it is used in 3DLand, Luigi's Mansion, and Mario and Luigi Dream Team. But yeah 2DS will still have gyro and motion control features.

I don't like the idea of returning to a non-clamshell design after all this time, but I'm not exactly the target audience for this. I can alreadythink of at least two different people that this will appeal to. I just hope they don't roll the 3DS Regular off the market to support just the 2DS and XL.

But won't all 3DSes get a price drop now because of this...thing? I mean that has been the normal progression. Wasn't it when the GBA Micro was released the GBA SP got a price drop which led to more sales to that model then the Micro?

God damn this reminds me of the Micro actually.

Edited by goku262002

Have they given a UK price point yet? Because this might an okay idea or effectively useless depending on the cost.

I think I'm slightly more offended by the fact that is has mono sound (though it has stereo if you use headphones/external speakers).

Are the screens even bigger than the normal 3ds?

That's extra add-ons though. while the 3DS and XL have it out of the box. and the screens are the same as the XL.

It's cheap and it plays 3DS games. It's ugly looking, but it will interest people who want a handheld system and don't want to pay a lot for it.

They're obviously planning this as an alternative for people who only play Pokemon games and few other games. I mean hell, they're releasing it on the same day that X and Y release. Regardless of what people say, it's going to sell to people who are on a tight budget, or people who only play a few games on the system.

• Thumbs Up 1

Have they given a UK price point yet? Because this might an okay idea or effectively useless depending on the cost.

It's being sold at GAME for £109.99...add £25 and there you go, you have enough money for a 3DS.

Edited by KrazyBean

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see it selling that well? It's got a bizarre design and it seems like it's asking for consumer confusion. I actually am a little worried it'll harm the 3DS sales more than helping them? It's not like the 3DS is having hardware sales issues at all.

And it's ugly man.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's extra add-ons though. while the 3DS and XL have it out of the box. and the screens are the same as the XL.

It's the other way around. The screens on the 2DS are the same at the regular 3DS. The XL is the only one with large screens.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

Now presenting a new member of Nintendo DS family: Nintendo 1S!! It has one awesome screen and you can play Game boy advance games on it in 2D mode!!!

Edited by ArtFenix

I genuinely had to check and see if it was April Fool's Day when I heard about the 2DS.  I'm just kinda baffled.

...I do wonder, though, if this is their way of slowly phasing the 3D element out of their handheld series, with the 3DS's eventual successor not having a 3D display.  On account of everyone having once again remembered that 3D is a niche gimmick that vanishes from the world soon after every resurgence.

It's the other way around. They screens on the 2DS are the same at the regular 3DS. The XL is the only one with large screens.

whoops my bad

I genuinely had to check and see if it was April Fool's Day when I heard about the 2DS.  I'm just kinda baffled.

...I do wonder, though, if this is their way of slowly phasing the 3D element out of their handheld series, with the 3DS's eventual successor not having a 3D display.  On account of everyone having once again remembered that 3D is a niche gimmick that vanishes from the world soon after every resurgence.

probably. But it is a nice gimmick when the developers get it right.

Are there any games on the 3DS which are actually impossible to play or much harder to play without the 3D turned on?

Are there any games on the 3DS which are actually impossible to play or much harder to play without the 3D turned on?

Nope. The 3d is pretty much an optional feature. 

It's being sold at GAME for £109.99...add £25 and there you go, you have enough money for a 3DS.

Fuck that shit, I can buy a second hand one right now for £10 less!

• Thumbs Up 5

Not at all. It's a neat little thing which looks cool sometimes and works as a sellpoint, but it's very very rarely needed.

But here's the thing w/the 3ds that 3d slider is very loose, so the 3d gets turned on easily, I constantly turn it on on accident.

But here's the thing w/the 3ds that 3d slider is very loose, so the 3d gets turned on easily, I constantly turn it on on accident.

Click it completely to the bottom and then it requires a slight small bit of force to activate it again.

This is really stupid. It's only about £30 (the cost of a average 3DS title) less expensive than a original 3DS and lacks the clamshell form factor.

If you don't want to use 3D on a 3DS, just turn it off using parental controls or set the slider off. There, saved you buying the PSP GO Nintendo edition.