Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAExBTWIp3M

Look how happy those people are

*looks up* CURSE YOUUUUUUUUU!!! *shakes his 2D fist*

Should clarify I totally get where they're coming from with the purpose of the device, makes complete sense.  The choice to get rid of the flip/closable design is the only thing that I find odd about this.  I'd love some insight into why they did that.

yeah especially for the touch screen component. I wonder if this is a sign of the next gen handhelds.

Hmmm, watching the thing in the video you can see it's kind of a more toyish looking design, makes sense cause a big chunk of the market is probably gonna be families with a lot of younger kids.

Edited by Chili Dawg

Hmmm, watching the thing in the video you can see it's kind of a more toyish looking design, makes sense cause a big chunk of the market is probably gonna be families with a lot of younger kids.

That's the target market, yeah.

The button placement is odd. It seems that they want to do away with the touch screen and return to the GBA design

The console is going for $129 and is meant for kids and younger audiences. The form and factor is scaling it down to the cheapest possible price point.

This thing is going to fly off the shelves.

The console is going for $129 and is meant for kids and younger audiences. The form and factor is scaling it down to the cheapest possible price point.

This thing is going to fly off the shelves.

Yes, Yes it will.

photo_2__3_.JPG.jpg

bildschirmfoto2013-08zcsjl.png

I can't decide if it's sorta alright or completely daft. Mind you it's not being marketed towards me... meh maybe if it were foldable I'd want it.

Shamelessly reposting my status: "So if I duct-tape my 3DS to a 2DS I will have a 5DS. New Yu-Gi-Oh game confirmed!" Anyway I know a few people who will like this as they find 3D a pointless gimmick. I can see where Nintendo are coming from but instead of reducing the price of the popular 3DS they really should get around to reducing the price of the Wii-U instead

That white and red design actually looks really nice, very complimenting colours they've used there. Wouldn't mind an XL that sported that colour scheme.

All things considered, I guess this does make sense. It's not something I'd want, though. The 3D is an awesome feature and I wouldn't trade it in for anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

What the fuck...?

Why the hell would they get rid of the clamshell design? I found out about it when my friend texted me, and was actually excited until I saw that Fisher Price designed the damn thing. If it was a 2D XL I would have happily upgraded from my launch 3DS. Don't care about 3D. Like this though? It'll be impossible to carry in my pocket, and thus completely loses the appeal of portability.

For fuck's sake, Nintendo. Even when you do something I like you find a way to make me hate you even more. Unbelievable.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's primarily for kids and super casuals who aren't going to use the 3D...

Like it's just one more option... If ya don't like it, well there are others.

tumblr_mre7prk6OZ1r96x1xo1_400.png

• Thumbs Up 6

It looks fucking stupid and not being able to fold it sucks but the cheapskate deep inside can't get over the price point.

Edited by Chooch

Gamestop Employee: Hello miss, what are you looking for today?

Average Mother: I am looking for for a system that plays DS games.

Gamestop Employee: Well we have the 3DS XL, the 3DS, the 2DS, the DSi XL, the DSi, and some refurbished DS Lites over there. 

Totally not confusing to the average consumer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why doesn't it have a hinge? Are hinges so fucking expensive that they were the first thing that needed to go aside from the 3D screen, in order to save money? Bullshit! I'm pretty sure that Nintendo could sell a full fat 3DS for $129 and still turn a profit. Ridiculous.

I can understand wanting to make a cheaper 2D version (I would buy that actually), but why get rid of the hinge, which would severely compromise its portability. Ugh.

Just cause this will sell a lot, doesn't make it excusable.

This is a great idea for a console, because at this point who gives a flying fuck about 3D.

On the other hand, why did they make it look like that; and why did they chop it down that much (mono sound? The fuck).

• Thumbs Up 9

Gamestop Employee: Hello miss, what are you looking for today?

Average Mother: I am looking for for a system that plays DS games.

Gamestop Employee: Well we have the 3DS XL, the 3DS, the 2DS, the DSi XL, the DSi, and some refurbished DS Lites over there.

"So can I buy this?"

"Oh, no, that's a 3DS game. That won't work on the DS or DSi; you'll need either a 3DS or a 2DS, as they both play 3DS and DS games."

"But does the DS play 2DS games?"

"We'll there are no 2DS games. The 2DS is a 3DS and plays 3DS games, but only plays them in 2D."

• Thumbs Up 7

Gamestop Employee: Hello miss, what are you looking for today?

Average Mother: I am looking for for a system that plays DS games.

Gamestop Employee: Well we have the 3DS XL, the 3DS, the 2DS, the DSi XL, the DSi, and some refurbished DS Lites over there. 

At which point the customer asks "what are the differences" and the employee tells them?

That's... kinda the main thing that makes physical game shops still relevant in the upcoming digital age.

• Thumbs Up 3

Having put some thought into it. Its not a bad business decision. From the looks of it. Japan is not getting this. So this must be a strategy for NoA and NoE to push handheld consoles so that the 3DS games ( where the most profit is at) can sell a whole lot better. Now all we have to figure out if Japan had any say in the design of this toy