Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Finally got a 3DS since the first time I played it on a demo kiosk last year, it made me dizzy and poorly for 10 whole minutes plus unable to see the 3D effect however last week I played on the kiosk twice at two different stores (one had Super Mario 3D Land, the other Mario Kart 7) but this time on the XL model and didn't have these problems at all.

So yeah, I ended up getting a XL Model with Luigi's Mansion 2 that I'm really enjoying so much not only due to being a really good game but also I never honestly thought that I'll play on a 3DS that meant missing out on some games. Also since Nintendo didn't provide me with a plug (it says no plug on the packaging), the day after I bought it from Wakefield on a trip out to Bridlington got the AC Adapter (and also Panzer Dragoon Orta as well). I later bought Super Mario 3D Land, Sonic Generations (yes, I know it isn't as good as the PS3/360/PC version) and Shinobi as well so looking forward to be playing on them.

Since I am a new owner and everything, there are just a few questions that if anyone can help with please:

Is it true that the screens scratch after opening and closing after so many uses so do I need a screen protector?

Please can anyone recommend me some games for the system? I have a fair idea on a few games after a bit of research but personal experiences are very welcome. (Also I'm not into RPGs even though I'm giving Mario & Luigi a shot due to that it explains a lot [maybe too much?] and like the graphical style Alphadream chose)

Regarding the eShop, say I buy a top up card, can I also use it on the Wii U like with PSN with the PS3 and Vita or is the top up only allowed for one console (e.g. put the credit in on the 3DS = 3DS only, credit on the Wii U = Wii U only)?

Also what's this about a free copy of Animal Crossing that Nintendo is advertising until the 7th September (a strangely certain date)?

Is it true that the screens scratch after opening and closing after so many uses so do I need a screen protector?

That's an issue with the regular model, not the XL.

Please can anyone recommend me some games for the system? I have a fair idea on a few games after a bit of research but personal experiences are very welcome. (Also I'm not into RPGs even though I'm giving Mario & Luigi a shot due to that it explains a lot [maybe too much?] and like the graphical style Alphadream chose)

Mighty Switch Force, Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong Country Returns, any Mario game, Kid Icarus, Professor Layton Miracle Mask.

Regarding the eShop, say I buy a top up card, can I also use it on the Wii U like with PSN with the PS3 and Vita or is the top up only allowed for one console (e.g. put the credit in on the 3DS = 3DS only, credit on the Wii U = Wii U only)?

3DS and Wii U cards are one and the same, so you can use them on both platforms. However, the accounts aren't linked so you can only use the cards on one platform. If you put £5 on your 3DS, then you have can't access that money from the eShop on your Wii U.

I don't use the top up cards personally (the 3DS and Wii U both let you pay the exact amount you need via credit/debit card), so I'm just assuming that if you buy a pre-paid card then you have to put the entire sum into your account.

Also what's this about a free copy of Animal Crossing that Nintendo is advertising until the 7th September (a strangely certain date)?

Welcome a Friend Promotion. Europe only I think.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Everyone should play Steamworld Dig. It is the closest thing to a new Metroid game we're going to get. It is just so goddamn good!

The Friends Promotion thing is until the 7th of October. Luckily, since my sister wants an XL for her birthday on the 2nd of October and wanted AC with it. Now we both got it for free!

As for other games, Fire Emblem is fantastic. It's a strategy game. Not sure if you're a fan of those, but I'm not a huge one and still love the game. Virtue's Last Reward is a great Visual Novel. Ocarina of Time 3D and Star Fox 64 3D are both the best versions of the games. I liked Castlevania, but a lot of people don't, it's really short and there's and HD version of it coming up. Pilotwings is also pretty good.

On the e-Shop there's Pullblox and Fallblox. I've only played Pullblox but it's a really great puzzle game, where you have to pull out blocks on different designs to reach the top of the level.

Everyone should play Steamworld Dig. It is the closest thing to a new Metroid game we're going to get. It is just so goddamn good!

Can people stop acting like there'll never be a new Metroid?

For real? (also you should check out Guacamelee if you want stuff like Metroid)

Can people stop acting like there'll never be a new Metroid?

It has been a reaaally long time since there was a Metroid with all the things people love about Metroid in it.

It's only been 3 years since the last Metroid. The quality is irrelevant. We'll probably get a new game next year.

The quality is irrelevant.

Not really, the reason people hark for Metroid-clones is because the most recent Metroid games have been, while good, not doing all the things people liked about Metroid.

I'm sure there will be a new Metroid soon, but it may not be to everyone's tastes again.

And it's just a really rare genre to do which is why people make a big deal out of 'em when they're done, especially because Konami doesn't make Castlevania like that anymore either.

It is irrelevant in the discussion of whether Nintendo has killed the series off or not. I get people being mad about not getting games in a series the way they want them. I've been wanting a new 2D Metroid for years. And after A Link Between Worlds, I'm fairly sure we'll get one.

It is irrelevant in the discussion of whether Nintendo has killed the series off or not. I get people being mad about not getting games in a series the way they want them. I've been wanting a new 2D Metroid for years. And after A Link Between Worlds, I'm fairly sure we'll get one.

I don't think anyone was saying the series had been killed off or anything but I think people are right to be a little skeptical about what it does next.

I hope you're right though, Nintendo must know that a lot of people adore Super.

Wait, whats this I hear about the normal 3DS gettings its screen badly scratched from normal use!? blink.png 

If this really happens, it sounds like something I would need to deal with as soon as possible. I dont want my purple 3DS that was only bought like two months ago to get super scratched up just from natural use. Yes my old DS was scratched on the outside due from normal use, but the screen worked just fine until it was wearing out due to normal use.

I finally procured myself a 3DS (Midnight Purple) and it will be coming in the mail in about a couple weeks. I got Sonic Rush and Rayman 3D to tide me over until I can buy a few more games.

What do you recommend? I'm mainly interested in platformers and adventure games, but I'm willing to broaden my wings a bit.

• Thumbs Up 2

There is no excuse to not get Mighty Switch Force and Mighty Switch Force 2, they  are  the best quality budget games ever, not to mention that OST. MK7 is pretty damn good too along with Kingdom Hearts. I would say Monster Hunter as well, but you said you don't like RPG's and even though it's not one, there's a lot of grinding involved so I don't know how you would feel about that.

What do you recommend? I'm mainly interested in platformers and adventure games, but I'm willing to broaden my wings a bit.

Oh goodie! Rubs hands together.

Luigi's Mansion 2, Kingdom Hearts and Kid Icarus spring to mind right away for adventure games, unfortunately platformers isn't something the 3DS has in droves but there's always the usual suspects (Mario or Sonic) and a nice bunch of eShop games that may fit the bill: Harmoknight is GameFreak's musical platformer, VVVVVV is a quality retro platformer as is Cave Story (though Cave Story is still only out in US sob). Don't forget you can also pick up a bunch of old Virtual Console Zelda games on eShop (and Ocarina of Time physically too) as well as GameBoy games in the Mario and Wario series'. WayForward's "Mighty" games (especially Switch Force) and Shantae games are great little puzzler-platformers too, and last but not least an increasingly not-awful Game Gear library..

And if you want a time sink that you can pour hours into while waiting for something else to come out, there's always Animal Crossing!

I definitely plan on exploiting the wonders of the eShop virtual console, and NSMB2 and SM3DL are on my list. 

3DS is region locked, but it can play old DS games region free, correct? I want to import Puyo Puyo over, but I don't wanna bother if it won't play.

I finally procured myself a 3DS (Midnight Purple) and it will be coming in the mail in about a couple weeks. I got Sonic Rush and Rayman 3D to tide me over until I can buy a few more games.

Luigi Mansion 2

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Sonic Lost World

Fire Emblem Awakening [bEST 3DS GAME GET IT NOW]

Shin Megami Tensei IV [if you like RPGS]

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance

Animal Crossing New Leaf

Mario & Luigi Dream Team

Mario 3D Land

NSMB2

Mighty Switch Force 1 & 2

Pushmo

And yes, DS games should be region free. I believe games with DSi enhancements won't work properly though.

• Thumbs Up 1

The 3DS can play any regular DS game. Fore example, I play Jump Super Stars on mine all the time.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

I like those SD card prices; may get the 16 GB one and I'm set with that. As far as games that I want to get go:

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Sonic Lost World

Pokemon X

Mighty Switch Force 2

Project X Zone

*Steamworld Dig (It looks quite fun)

That's pretty much it for me for now.

Edited by TheChaosBlue

Wait, whats this I hear about the normal 3DS gettings its screen badly scratched from normal use!? blink.png

If this really happens, it sounds like something I would need to deal with as soon as possible. I dont want my purple 3DS that was only bought like two months ago to get super scratched up just from natural use. Yes my old DS was scratched on the outside due from normal use, but the screen worked just fine until it was wearing out due to normal use.

The top screen tends to get scratched from the protruding edges of the bottom screen when the 3DS is closed. I keep that layer of foam stuff that came with my 3DS between the two screens, because otherwise I get marks on the top screen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Some games with DSi features work on 3DS, I'm not sure how many or if I'm just imagining things but my Japanese copy of Pokémon Black works on my 3DS so.

I honestly don't advise playing DS games on a 3DS unless it's your only option. Picture quality is awful, and since absolutely no 4-way game benefits from the circle pad, you have the choice between cramping your finger using the dpad, or fighting the control with the analogue pad. I'd just invest in a DSi.

I honestly don't advise playing DS games on a 3DS unless it's your only option. Picture quality is awful, and since absolutely no 4-way game benefits from the circle pad, you have the choice between cramping your finger using the dpad, or fighting the control with the analogue pad. I'd just invest in a DSi.

Good thing Sonic Rush will have me holding the controls in one direction.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

The 3DS D-Pad isn't bad, and the backwards compatibility is handy enough for me to not care about the resolution.

the resolution is just one small issue for having practically 3 devices in one (DS, DSi, 3DS). I disagree with the Dpad and analog thing though, I don't feel the dpad or analog are bad, I actually like them, especially the analog for DS games

You can improve the quality of DS games to how they were on the DS lineage of systems on the 3DS by holding Start and Select when you confirm said DS game, but it results in a smaller viewpoint.

At least, it worked when I played Pokemon White 2 on mine.

Ok, just see this video...(skip to 3:06)

http://youtu.be/_MbuPL_CLJ4

Edited by TheChaosBlue

I wasn't implying the Dpad is bad. I'm implying it's awkwardly positioned.

Damn near dislocated my thumb trying to play Metroid Fusion.

• Thumbs Up 1