Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Too lazy to read all the posts but getting a vibe that most people don't like the design online lawl.

I kinda do honestly. Like it's a bit bulky but totally works for younger kids that toss shit around and such. Granted it's not indestructible, but without that hinge it's probably gonna last a kid a lot longer haha. That aside though I kinda like the super flat look. Reminds me like if a gamepad and the 3DS had some sorta weird love child. It's really weird looking but since I'm not a portable guy anyways, I wouldn't mind playing one of these around the house since I do that anyways with my 3DS.

The lack of 3DS kinda sucks, but the more I think about it, I don't actually use the feature all too much. I never do in Animal Crossing, on occasion in KI:U, never in Star Fox sinceI like the gyro controls, and never in OoT since I use the gyro controls for aiming too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well. well, well what do we have here.

I can't really...hate the 2DS on the whole. At the same time, I not really excited about it . More like neutral for me; I can see who this can appeal to but I just don't understand why this needs to be made now in this fashion. It's like the Game Boy Micro all over again to me haha. I have no reason to buy the system since I own a 3DS anyway.

What it all comes down to it for me about it is...it's just there. Nintendo's "Love It or Hate It" system.

But damn that price is smexy awesome.

Edited by TheChaosBlue

It looks uncomfortable, but seeing it in action and actually using the thing are two different things. Could be a very good move considering the release date, price and Pokemon being there at the same time.

Shoulda called it 3DS Minus or something though.

The 2DS looks alright, for what it's aimed to do and the fairly low price. My only gripes with it is that it doesn't fold up (which really isn't that big of a deal for those who want it) and the mono sound, but I already have a 3DS XL, so I digress. Hopefully it'll at least be comfortable to hold for those who are getting it.

I think the price drop is a great idea, I just find it weird they got rid of folding.,,it seems odd since its been a staple since the SP.

I think the price drop is a great idea, I just find it weird they got rid of folding.,,it seems odd since its been a staple since the SP.

As others have said, it's designed to be cheap and durable. No need to worry about making a secure hinge that cost-effective, and no need to worry about said hinge breaking.

I seriously don't like the look of the 2DS, but as a product it's actually pretty good. Nintendo are now offering a standard, premium and basic model for all sorts of people. Good call.

As others have said, it's designed to be cheap and durable.

Sure but now the screens are much more susceptible to all kinds of damage.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but...

Why can't the 2DS fold? Because it's 1 screen!

Curiously, the 2DS is even more of a tablet-style system than it appears at first glance, as it actually features a single large screen in its center, not two separate ones. As one of their cost-cutting design measures, Nintendo reduced the number of screens in the system from two to one, and the appearance of separate screens is merely simulated by the way the case masks out the extraneous portions. This means the entire screen is by necessity a touchscreen, with the upper screen protected by a layer of plastic that sits above it. While this makes no difference for the system's normal functions -- after all, neither the system's firmware or its software would recognize the hidden, inactive zones of the screen or the upper portion's touch capabilities, even if you exposed those portions -- I'm curious to see what hardware modders manage to do with the system.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/oh-so-thats-nintendos-next-move

It's a single screen with a piece of plastic over it to give the impression of two screens. I'm tempted to say 'can't you remove that plastic?' but then I think... if you remove that plastic bit, wouldn't you have a section of the screen which was just showing blank?

?

Wouldn't producing one screen that is half touch sensitive and half regular cost more than two screens with dedicated functions?

Also wouldn't this mess with how 3DS games are programmed? 

??????

No.

Producing one sheet is cheaper than producing two that are different dimensions.

Only concern I have for the 2DS is if the product is too successful. I think a lot can still be done with the 3D view for the 3DS, but if the 2DS sells like hotcakes, then Nintendo could possibly prioritize selling the 2DS above all. The fact this contraption exists already proves Nintendo is looking to divert from the 3D angle to some degree, so if this version reaps huge profit, very little to no more 3D utilization for the 3DS.

But hey, now my brother has something he can get since he's been wanting to play 3DS games.

So it's not actually a 2 Dual Screen, it's a 2 Single Screen?

Not sure if this has been posted yet but...

Why can't the 2DS fold? Because it's 1 screen!

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/oh-so-thats-nintendos-next-move

It's a single screen with a piece of plastic over it to give the impression of two screens. I'm tempted to say 'can't you remove that plastic?' but then I think... if you remove that plastic bit, wouldn't you have a section of the screen which was just showing blank?

It's probably more like "Because it's one screen, it can't fold". That's a real cost cutting measure. Quite clever really.

It's probably more like "Because it's one screen, it can't fold". That's a real cost cutting measure. Quite clever really.

BUT IT'S NOT A DUAL SCREEN (DS) NOW! 

[insert Reggie "DS stands for 'developer system'" comment]

BUT IT'S NOT A DUAL SCREEN (DS) NOW! 

[insert Reggie "DS stands for 'developer system'" comment]

Actually, you know what's confusing? The game boxes. Unless they now say 2DS/3DS, people are gonna be confused as fuck. Moreso that with Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 2

Only concern I have for the 2DS is if the product is too successful. I think a lot can still be done with the 3D view for the 3DS, but if the 2DS sells like hotcakes, then Nintendo could possibly prioritize selling the 2DS above all. The fact this contraption exists already proves Nintendo is looking to divert from the 3D angle to some degree, so if this version reaps huge profit, very little to no more 3D utilization for the 3DS.

This is another thing I keep seeing people saying everywhere.  It doesn't mean Nintendo don't care about 3D, it just means they're sane enough to recognise that not everyone wants 3D.

It's like saying because they let you plug in a Gamecube or Classic Controller to Mario Kart Wii they're abandoning motion control.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually, you know what's confusing? The game boxes. Unless they now say 2DS/3DS, people are gonna be confused as fuck. Moreso that with Wii U.

No, they won't, because we have the small barely noticeable compatibility tick boxes on the back of the box :P

mario_sonic_at_the_london_2012_olympic_g

Just heard about this and honestly I'm have mixed feelings about this. The bulky non-clamshell design comes off as unpractical as a handheld and comes off as rather strange, considering since the SP (GBA Micro notwithstanding) the games. The recently-mentioned single screen thing could as Solkia noted may also change how some 3DS games/apps function. I'm also surprised that the battery life is the same as the 3DS, even though it's been stripped of the 3D features.

But then again I'm not the target audience and I already have a 3DS, and I do think that the concept (a cheaper, -predicatbly- stripped-down 3DS tailored for children and casuals) is a good idea. The design also looks practical in terms of cost and durability as others have said. I do think that the 2DS could also work as a permanent replacement for the DSi and DSi XL (if a 2DS XL is made) though, considering the pricing is more or less the same. It could also work as a replacement for the original DS as well, albeit then you wouldn't be able to get a new DS that still plays GBA games anymore (but then again I'm pretty sure current consumers wouldn't necessarily care much for that feature, especially considering that GBA games are slated to be available on the eShop sometime soon).

No, they won't, because we have the small barely noticeable compatibility tick boxes on the back of the box tongue.png

mario_sonic_at_the_london_2012_olympic_g

Or maybe they'll just add the 2DS logo to the game label cover. "Nintendo 2DS/3DS" or something like that.

EDIT: Considering the different design the 2DS has, I can't help but wonder why they didn't incorporate the ZL and ZR buttons as well as the second Circle Pad from the Circle Pad Pro extension into the 2DS. The singular non-clamshell model seems more practical to have those features added to it, since you don't really have to worry about limited space or awkward/uncomfortable finger placement. Unless the bottom half of the 2DS is shaped similarly to the 3DS or something and is compatible with it.

Edited by Yeow

What I don't get is that its for "people who don't want 3D" and yet the 3D is fully optional.

Personally, I always have the 3D on max, so I don't want this thing at all.

What I don't get is that its for "people who don't want 3D" and yet the 3D is fully optional.

So why should people pay for a 3D screen they're not gonna use?

• Thumbs Up 5

Honestly what 10 and under kid has big enough pockets for a 3DS or XL anyways, :U. Most of the time when I see a kid with them they have it out playing while they're follow their mom and dad through Sears anyways. I don't think convenience is an issue with the target audience because they'll either be in this scenario, only have it in the car to keep them occupied, or just playing it around the house.

If people are older and are concerned about portability and everything else everyone is complaining about with this system, then just get the 3DS, I don't get the issue here lawl.

EDIT: Though I kinda forgot, it might be hard to do those levels in 3D Land when you go in a tube and has those rooms with the fixed camera perspective that kinda require 3D to complete.

That is a big clever that its one screen just made to look like two screens. Just as long as they can protect the screens decently, it looks like a fine change to me. If its made a bit thicker and more durable, then maybe they could eventually do that to the others as well. Durability of handhelds is definately a big concern. Our normal DS's and 3DS's likely are rather suseptable to drop damage over time I'm sure. People also don't seem to complain about tablets that much on how portable they are, but they are on this? I'm not a tablet person myself, but this seems to be a similiar concept, especially if you get the case to carry it around inside.