Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

I once again have to ask what's so bad about using an analogue stick for 2D games? Fighters aside, it's just never been an issue for me. I play all games on my 3DS using the analogue stick.

• Thumbs Up 5

Depends on the game really.

If you're playing Metroid Fusion, Good luck running forward without randomly aiming up.

It works better for some games more than others. My point was the DSi is made with all of the DS games in mind and at a better resolution.

You can find a used one for about $40, it was just a suggestion based on past experience, sheesh :V

• Thumbs Up 1

The top screen tends to get scratched from the protruding edges of the bottom screen when the 3DS is closed. I keep that layer of foam stuff that came with my 3DS between the two screens, because otherwise I get marks on the top screen. 

Thanks for the advice. I had no idea the system would do this. Luckily, I still have that piece of foam, so when I remember, I'll try and keep it in there if it really does help out. I dont want this new thing getting all messed up right away.

Conversely, I've been using my original series 3DS for over two years without the screen-scratching problem, so it isn't a universal manufacturing fault.  I won't say "don't worry about it" as clearly it is an issue for some people, but... don't get obsessive-compulsive about it?

I just took some of the old rubber feet off my RROD 360 and stuck them either side of the top screen. They just stop the system from closing so there's no risk. Prior to that there were marks appearing, fortunately they all wiped off.

I would get the mark on my screen protector but no scratches on my screen as of yet. You may be able to even buy Command bump grips that can be placed on the top screen to stop the bottom ridge from scratching the screen, but the bumpers from 360's seem to be a thing

Yeah, I did that with my original 3DS. Just ripped 2 of the rubber feet off my 360 and stuck them to the top screen. It keeps the top screen raised a bit so they bottom screen doesn't squeeze against it when closed.

All good to know. I'll most of the time when at home likely just keep this bit of foam in the middle to keep it safe. Maybe I'll get something else later, but as long as it works, and holds up, I'll keep it in there. It may look a little silly, but I would rather look a tad bit silly, than have little mark start appearing on my screens.

My 3DS came with screen protectors so I don't worry much about the markings left on the top screen. I'm planning on upgrading to an XL sometime in the future, anyway.

All good to know. I'll most of the time when at home likely just keep this bit of foam in the middle to keep it safe. Maybe I'll get something else later, but as long as it works, and holds up, I'll keep it in there. It may look a little silly, but I would rather look a tad bit silly, than have little mark start appearing on my screens.

even so, I kinda wish Ninty realized this issue before release and changed up the design a bit. I wouldve waited for the XL (because we knew they were going to release a 2nd rendition sooner or later) but I couldn't pass up that Aqua Blue 3DS. I would upgrade to an XL but I would trade my 3DS in first, but mine is signed by Tommy Tallarico so that isn't happening haha.

I rarely ever upgrade my handhelds, even with the newer models and such that come out. The only reason I got my midnight purple 3DS is because my normal original DS was finally on its last legs and its top screen isn't working well anymore and about to come unhinged soon. If it still works, there is usually no need for me to upgrade to better versions. The only reason I have the slimmer model of the 360 is because my original white one started scratching my disks for no reason at all.

I rarely ever upgrade my handhelds, even with the newer models and such that come out. The only reason I got my midnight purple 3DS is because my normal original DS was finally on its last legs and its top screen isn't working well anymore and about to come unhinged soon. If it still works, there is usually no need for me to upgrade to better versions. The only reason I have the slimmer model of the 360 is because my original white one started scratching my disks for no reason at all.

Yeah; as far as the DS line of handhelds go. I did have the original, then the Lite, but I was already comfortable with that model so I didn't bother with the DSi and the DSi XL.

As far as the 3DS is concerned; I'm fine with what I have now. I have the the Midnight Purple 3DS as well and as long as the top screen is functional and still in good condition I'm not fussed with upgrading.  

Now if the 3DS XL comes in a Cobalt Blue color....or that sweet Pokemon XY design was available here...I would really consider the options on the table then.

Regarding the d-pad, I will say I use it on all games, 3DS and DS, for 4-way movements, though I always use the Circle Pad for 8-way movement.  Not sure why but moving in all directions with the d-pad goes from comfy to painful in a matter of seconds.  So for example on Sonic Generations I use D-Pad for almost the whole game, but switch to the Circle Pad for the flying Super Sonic final boss.  Makes sense that the d-pad would be awful for Metroid Fusion seeing as it involves plenty of diagonal control.

Edited by JezMM

My 3DS came with screen protectors so I don't worry much about the markings left on the top screen. I'm planning on upgrading to an XL sometime in the future, anyway.

Luckily I had that rumored set of markings in mind when I put them on. Xp

They can definitely happen, but aren't really something to worry about unless you slam your 3DS shut.

Luckily I had that rumored set of markings in mind when I put them on. Xp

They can definitely happen, but aren't really something to worry about unless you slam your 3DS shut.

Which I try to never do. I was a bit rough on the normal DS over time,but that was some normal wear and tear, with the occational drop, but that wasn't common. I think everyone has dropped a handheld before by accident, just like I'm sure everyone has dropped their phones as well. Phones a little easier though, since its one of those plastic bouncy covers, these handhelds normally aren't in covers.

Actually, they can be caused if you're carrying it around due to friction. The top screen's bumpers aren't big enough.

Posted as a status

Was the 2DS really necessary. I mean just turn off the 3D on the 3DS. This makes no sense. Then again as long as I can still buy 3DS games for my 3DS XL I will be fine. Not liking the design of that thing either

Hey if it allows people a cheaper entry into the world of 3ds games (which most often never really require the 3d to be used) I'm game. This does make the 3ds's awesome developing library of games more accessible.

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Really weird to me that they'd make it not fold...

Beyond that tho it kinda makes sense to me. There are people who don't really care about the 3D plus folks with young kids who aren't supposed to use it so a no 3D cheaper model is a good idea to reel in those folks. But still kinda bizarre.

Ok so I'm retracting my initial impression of it being necessary after reading a bit of the article but I still stand by the weird design statement.

Should clarify I totally get where they're coming from with the purpose of the device, makes complete sense.  The choice to get rid of the flip/closable design is the only thing that I find odd about this.  I'd love some insight into why they did that.

• Thumbs Up 1