Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Are there any games on the 3DS which are actually impossible to play or much harder to play without the 3D turned on?

3D Land has a few bonus rooms that make use of optical illusions that only make sense in 3D (i.e. in 2D, platforms appear to be lined up in a row, but when 3D is turned on you can see some are higher than others etc).  In the small, box bonus rooms there is usually a switch that you can stand on to move the camera and see how the platforms really are, but in the sky bonus rooms there's no such luxury, so you would have to play blindly a little.

It's a very small part of the game and I'm pretty sure (at least in the Sky ones) they aren't required for 100% completion, but, yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp. And here I thought that today was going to be normal.

Honestly, as somewhat of a smart business move it is (considering people like Yahtzee) I don't think it will sell that well. The loss of the 3D is one thing, but the clamshell design is gone? Even if you only want one screen, the shell made the things more portable! It's effectively a downgrade that turns it into a tablet with buttons.

It's an OK idea, but if people really don't want the 3D effect, just don't turn the slider up. The only advantage I can see is that it's a little bit cheaper.

Edited by Spinning Silver

Click it completely to the bottom and then it requires a slight small bit of force to activate it again.

This is true for the XL but not for the original 3DS model.

Also people who are saying "why can't people just turn 3D off if they don't like it?", Nintendo providing a version of a console where you don't pay for a feature you never use is probably one of the most sense-making parts of this idea so shush yourselves.

This is really stupid. It's only about £30 (the cost of a average 3DS title) less expensive than a original 3DS and lacks the clamshell form factor.

If you don't want to use 3D on a 3DS, just turn it off using parental controls or set the slider off. There, saved you buying the PSP GO Nintendo edition.

So lets say your a parent. You go to the store and see now 3(4 depending if DSi is in stock) different handheld Nintendo systems with different prices. you ask a sales person.

customer: "Hey, I'm looking for a portable system for my son/daughter, he/she like Mario/Disney princess what do you recommend"

Sales rep : "well we have 4 handhelds, if you want your son/daughter to play the latest games then you have 3 handhelds"

customer:" what the difference?"

Sales rep " two of them are 3D handhelds with one of them having a larger screen and more battery life, the other is a 2D handheld"

customer: " can my son/daughter play theses (points to 3DS games) on the 2DS?"

sales rep : "yes"

Customer: " well its cheaper and my kid doesn't need 3D so I will go with that"

Marketing its a fun thing.

So lets say your a parent. You go to the store and see now 3(4 depending if DSi is in stock) different handheld Nintendo systems with different prices. you ask a sales person.

customer: "Hey, I'm looking for a portable system for my son/daughter, he/she like Mario/Disney princess what do you recommend"

Sales rep : "well we have 4 handhelds, if you want your son/daughter to play the latest games then you have 3 handhelds"

customer:" what the difference?"

Sales rep " two of them are 3D handhelds with one of them having a larger screen and more battery life, the other is a 2D handheld"

customer: " can my son/daughter play theses (points to 3DS games) on the 2DS?"

sales rep : "yes"

Customer: " well its cheaper and my kid doesn't need 3D so I will go with that"

Marketing its a fun thing.

Well, when you put it like that.... then I'm not giving Nintendo enough credit.

You just described the mentality of my parents with deadly accuracy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I both hope and expect it sells as well as the Basic Wii U, 20 GB PS3, and whatever that super cheap 360 was called.

Don't Western consumers tend to gravitate away from these gimped models of pre-existing consoles anyway?

Did the Gameboy Advance Micro sell well?

Well, when you put it like that.... then I'm not giving Nintendo enough credit.

You just described the mentality of my parents with deadly accuracy.

I work at an electronics store and occasionally I am in the gaming department. I'm use to pin point accurately for a while now.

What a, odd announcement from Nintendo wacko.png. Sure, its cool that they are targeting kids with this 3DS model (as 3d is supposedly bad for young kids) and it looks to have a longer battery life than the original 3ds, not to mention it looks conferrable to hold (it looks like its very round, kinda like the Vita).

If its cheap (120$ price point, as the scraped 3d feature and the mono speakers drop the price down quite a bit) than I looks to be a great buy in the future :).

It's like Iwata is holding a gun to their pets head and saying "Smile."

Its not coming to Japan so I think its Reggie instead.

Oh dear, just as I got the 3DS XL. (Thanks for all the help)

So while the 2DS is a good idea for younger players and people who have problems with the 3D screen plus as a budget handheld (unless you count an used DS/PSP) so it will sell especially if kids want to play on Pokemon/Mario and their eyes aren't developed for 3D however the design is functional and might be like confusion if Nintendo makes another new DS like what happened to the 3DS in the beginning. So that would be DS and Lite -> DSi and XL then a jump to a new console being the 3DS and XL now -> 2DS and future model and whatever Nintendo decides to call the new DS console. It's like the DSi, the jump is not needed to play the new games, just optional.

Looking in that fact sheet, the 2DS seems to be better regarding battery life than the 3DS, has a 4GB memory card like the 3DS XL but includes the plug unlike the XL however the battery life is still better on the 3DSXL, no powersave mode and that the sound is mono.

Oh and if anyone who doesn't still have a DS to play the backwards compatible games, there might be some trouble regarding any DS game that requires closing the lid. Some you won't be able to complete the game like Duck Amuck (one of the minigames requires closing the lid while the power is on and back again) or anything that uses it as a puzzle. Also anything that requires step pass? (forgot its name) like when you close the lid and walk, you get coins to help on games.

So it is better on some ways, but worse on others.

For what it's worth, I don't have an XL but if I ever wanted to "upgrade" I would definitely choose XL over 2D.

It's not being marketed at me. I can understand the angle and it seems smart, I'm just not sure it'll take off. The Gameboy micro didn't, and neither did the Wii Mini.

I know this has been said plenty.... but why didn't they just change out the screen for the XL or original 3ds for a non-3D screen to cut cost? Maybe give it a different finish on the handheld to cut cost as well. I don't totally hate the new design but holding that thing looks a bit akward, especially when you're reaching for those L and R buttons. Also, I raise another concern that I thought about with the XL.... what about the additional slide pad? I swear, Ninty has a guy who comes up with these ideas for new designs and the higher ups just blindly give him/her the green light without considering these factors first............................it prints money

Oh dear, just as I got the 3DS XL. (Thanks for all the help)

So while the 2DS is a good idea for younger players and people who have problems with the 3D screen plus as a budget handheld (unless you count an used DS/PSP) so it will sell especially if kids want to play on Pokemon/Mario and their eyes aren't developed for 3D however the design is functional and might be like confusion if Nintendo makes another new DS like what happened to the 3DS in the beginning. So that would be DS and Lite -> DSi and XL then a jump to a new console being the 3DS and XL now -> 2DS and future model and whatever Nintendo decides to call the new DS console. It's like the DSi, the jump is not needed to play the new games, just optional.

Looking in that fact sheet, the 2DS seems to be better regarding battery life than the 3DS, has a 4GB memory card like the 3DS XL but includes the plug unlike the XL however the battery life is still better on the 3DSXL, no powersave mode and that the sound is mono.

Oh and if anyone who doesn't still have a DS to play the backwards compatible games, there might be some trouble regarding any DS game that requires closing the lid. Some you won't be able to complete the game like Duck Amuck (one of the minigames requires closing the lid while the power is on and back again) or anything that uses it as a puzzle. Also anything that requires step pass? (forgot its name) like when you close the lid and walk, you get coins to help on games.

So it is better on some ways, but worse on others.

Well they took away sleep mode with the lid closed and exchanged it with a sleep mode button so the step counter could be implemented in some other way as well.

To be fair I get the impression kids fucking up their screens is just something that happens even on regular DSes, but preventing them from breaking the hinges might actually be a good call.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like a GBA version of the 3DS. It has no 3D. It has massive shoulder buttons and concaved face buttons. Its matte-finish and has 90s Nintendo-esque plastic on the sides.

I'm probably the only one saying that this is cool and if it was in atomic purple I'd take 20.

• Thumbs Up 1

Please tell me that you can fold that thing. I thought one of the main points of a handheld is that you can put it in your pocket

To be fair I get the impression kids fucking up their screens is just something that happens even on regular DSes, but preventing them from breaking the hinges might actually be a good call.

Frankly the PSP and PSV still exist, and we all all managed just fine before the GBASP made folding handhelds a Nintendo standard. And there's the Wii U gamepad too. A folding system just isn't necessary when something being designed to be cheap and durable. Scratches are a lesser issue than a broken hinge.

Edited by Blue Blood

Please tell me that you can fold that thing. I thought one of the main points of a handheld is that you can put it in your pocket

Game boy pocket, game boy color, game boy advance  would like a word with you

Game boy pocket, game boy color, game boy advance would like a word with you

You can still put those in your pocket. The 2DS doesn't look it can Edited by Dejimon11
  • Thumbs Up 1

You can still put those in my pocket. The 2DS doesn't look it can

I was going for the part where you said if it can fold and fit in your pocket.

Yeah the 2DS doesn't really look pocket friendly.

Which will make it harder for kids to look after.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was going for the part where you said if it can fold and fit in your pocket.
I guess I worded that wrong sorry