Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

EDIT: Considering the different design the 2DS has, I can't help but wonder why they didn't incorporate the ZL and ZR buttons as well as the second Circle Pad from the Circle Pad Pro extension into the 2DS. The singular non-clamshell model seems more practical to have those features added to it, since you don't really have to worry about limited space or awkward/uncomfortable finger placement. Unless the bottom half of the 2DS is shaped similarly to the 3DS or something and is compatible with it.

Oh yeah. This thing is going to look even uglier with a Circle Pad Pro attachment. They made one for the 3DS and 3DS XL, so I wonder if they'll make one for the 2DS.

I'm surprised they managed to get a decent resolution with a screen like that...

Anyway, while I won't get one, I do see it as a good move. They generally say 3DS is 7+ as a child any younger could grow up to be blind, so this is good for both the younger market who would miss out otherwise, and Nintendo as they'll make a fair amount of money from that younger market. And here in the UK, if my research has proven correctly, the 2DS is £109.99. I just had a quick look on GAME, and they're charging £134.99 for a standard 3DS, and Amazon are charging relatively the same. So this proves an effective choice for the player who doesn't care much for/will not use the 3D function, and doesn't have the funds for a 3DS.

But I don't like the design much, I have to say...

The design looks unattractive but the price looks very very attractive.

Maybe I'll be able to play Sonic Lost Worlds and a few other 3DS games soon after all...

So it's all a big touchscreen? Don't know how to feel about that. The touch screen was always slightly "blurrier" than the top screen on all DS's, and now the "top" portion's gonna be the same as the bottom...with an added plastic layer on top of that. I dunno, maybe I just need to see how it looks in person. If anything happens to my launch model I'd still be getting an XL though.

Frankly the PSP and PSV still exist, and we all all managed just fine before the GBASP made folding handhelds a Nintendo standard. And there's the Wii U gamepad too. A folding system just isn't necessary when something being designed to be cheap and durable. Scratches are a lesser issue than a broken hinge.

Yeah, but the funny thing about portable game consoles is that they're supposed to fit in your pocket. There's also a very simple solution for the PSP and Vita that would look downright silly on the 2DS, and was also the absolute first thing I did when I got my Vita - 

521e7e0855215.jpg

521e7e3256bfb.jpg

521e7e4032d5f.jpg

521e7e4ebbc4a.jpg

521e7e5ce9e22.jpg

Problem - when you have two screens, doubling the system's length is ridiculous. I understand that it's for kids, but the funny thing here is... you know, it could have been for everyone. For kids and people who don't give a shit about 3D (*raises hand*). But hey, Nintendo's Nintendo, which I now firmly believe means that literally everything they do is going to irk me at this point. At least, that's the conclusion the past few years have given me.

I honestly don't think it's entirely fair to criticise the 2DS for not being easily portable. How else were they supposed to keep the two screens and remove the hinges? There's just no other way it would work without making the whole thing smaller, which would be really bad.

I'm going to be honest, and I've been thinking this for a while:

I think Nintendo should drop out of the home console race (don't wet your panties and let me finish), and focus all their resources on handhelds.

Let's be honest here: The Wii's success was a crapshoot, and the target audience for most of it's life became Women in their 40's looking for a simple activity to do after work.

Nintendo has been the most profitable in their handheld division (with the Wii being an obvious exception), and will probably continue to be for years. They should focus on their strengths.

Also the portability of the 2DS is subjective. I know people who used to stuff a Game Gear in their cargo shorts :U

I honestly don't think it's entirely fair to criticise the 2DS for not being easily portable. How else were they supposed to keep the two screens and remove the hinges? There's just no other way it would work without making the whole thing smaller, which would be really bad.

They didn't really need to remove the hinges.

But then it'd literally be a 3DS without the 3D slider, and the price wouldn't be low enough to justify not buying the regular or XL versions.

But then it'd literally be a 3DS without the 3D slider, and the price wouldn't be low enough to justify not buying the regular or XL versions.

Yes it would be. Forty bucks for 3D? Hell yeah I'd get a 2DS. I don't give a shit about 3D, and $130 is just fine.

Or they could have made it cheaper. I like cheap things. 

But then it'd literally be a 3DS without the 3D slider,  and the price wouldn't be low enough to justify not buying the regular or XL versions.

Which is what it should have been. I doubt hinges jack up the price by that much.

The hinges don't, but the dual screens /do/. The 2DS isn't as cheap as it is just because it lacks 3D. It uses a single touch-screen that's separated by plastic.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

This feels like a cheap shot at the Vita price drop (or a backup plan if it were yo ever get one) well played. Hell I don't like 3ds and this is so cheap I'd probably buy it even thought it would collect dust in my hands. It seems a little useless unless you can afford or don't care about the 3D.

I'm going to be honest, and I've been thinking this for a while:

I think Nintendo should drop out of the home console race (don't wet your panties and let me finish), and focus all their resources on handhelds.

Let's be honest here: The Wii's success was a crapshoot, and the target audience for most of it's life became Women in their 40's looking for a simple activity to do after work.

Nintendo has been the most profitable in their handheld division (with the Wii being an obvious exception), and will probably continue to be for years. They should focus on their strengths.

Also the portability of the 2DS is subjective. I know people who used to stuff a Game Gear in their cargo shorts :U

Bleh, I'd hate that because I way way prefer console gaming and love Nintendo's franchises, Mario in particular.  I'd hate for new titles to be forever confined to the small screen.

• Thumbs Up 5

Discoid your expressions in your photoset make me laugh so hard.

And want to punch your lights out at the same time.

God damn.

btw, that Vita looks fucking HUGE how did you fit that in your pocket? You clearly have pockets like a wizard's sleeve...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still stumped as to how that will work. 3DS games are programmed to be played on 2 screens, doesn't that mean they'd have to make the screen emulate the dual screen setup? Wouldn't that be more tedious and time consuming than just using 2 screens?

Pretty sure that Nintendo could sell a regular 3DS for $99 and still turn a profit.

no

People need to stop using sales numbers as profit estimates. The Gamecube made a zillion dollars while companies like Microsoft were losing millions. Just because the system didn't sell as well doesn't mean it didn't make a boatload of money.

Being in the console space allows them to expand their market. Despite the DS selling like crazy, their most selling titles were on the Wii. It's always been like that actually.

1. I'm not talking about sales numbers. I'm talking about what's their most profitable division.

2. Zillion isn't a number.

3. I just said that the Wii was a crapshoot. You can't honestly expect the Wii U to produce the same results.

I'm still stumped as to how that will work. 3DS games are programmed to be played on 2 screens, doesn't that mean they'd have to make the screen emulate the dual screen setup? Wouldn't that be more tedious and time consuming than just using 2 screens?

I can't imagine it would take more than a day's coding to tell the 3DS "instead of sending touch screen image data to second screen, send to main screen, displaying from such and such pixel height".

Discoid your expressions in your photoset make me laugh so hard.

And want to punch your lights out at the same time.

God damn.

btw, that Vita looks fucking HUGE how did you fit that in your pocket? You clearly have pockets like a wizard's sleeve...

Eh, not really. Fits in all of my jeans, and I only wear slims.

1. I'm not talking about sales numbers. I'm talking about what's their most profitable division.

Yes I know. A lot of people just assume that Nintendo's lower sales means they have lower profits. I'm pretty sure a chart was made which showed Nintendo making a ton of money during the GC era, it may have been more than the PS2?!?! I don't remember.

3. I just said that the Wii was a crapshoot. You can't honestly expect the Wii U to produce the same results.

My post had nothing to do with the Wii specifically. As I said, the pattern of console titles outselling handheld titles by a huge margin is noticeable. Mario Kart 8 is most likely going to outsell Mario Kart 7.

It's not going to be a rare thing, it's going to happen again. Nintendo makes a lot of profit in the console space, that's why they still exist. Focusing on handheld would be a pretty dumb decision.

• Thumbs Up 2

Solution - Hybrid console. Portable with an HDMI slot and a wireless controller add-on. 720p resolution at least, with power close to or better than the Vita.

I will harp on this idea endlessly, because I fucking hate their consoles and getting all the games I want on one Nintendo system would be fantastic.

Also more moniez and that's cool for them.

Yes I know. A lot of people just assume that Nintendo's lower sales means they have lower profits. I'm pretty sure a chart was made which showed Nintendo making a ton of money during the GC era, it may have been more than the PS2?!?! I don't remember.

GBA.

If you can find that chart, I'd be happy to see that my favorite console ever did so well.

My post had nothing to do with the Wii specifically. As I said, the pattern of console titles outselling handheld titles by a huge margin is noticeable. Mario Kart 8 is most likely going to outsell Mario Kart 7.

It's not going to be a rare thing, it's going to happen again. Nintendo makes a lot of profit in the console space, that's why they still exist. Focusing on handheld would be a pretty dumb decision.

It wouldn't be hard to be better than Mario Kart 7

I'll believe it when I see it. If it does turn out that way I'll reverse my statement.

To be fair, fitting in your pocket doesn't really matter to me, since I used proper gaming bags to transport my console, games and adapters in any way, it would seem a carry case is required to protect your 2DS though since it doesn't flip close giving it a layer of protection and protecting the screen from scratches etc. :/