Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Yes I know. A lot of people just assume that Nintendo's lower sales means they have lower profits. I'm pretty sure a chart was made which showed Nintendo making a ton of money during the GC era, it may have been more than the PS2?!?! I don't remember.

What? More than the PS2? 155 Million PS2's verses about 20 Million GCN's....Unless they had absolutely retarded profit margins, no way the GCN could generate more profits than the PS2. Those numbers MUST include whatever iterations of the Gameboy, that were out at the time.

My post had nothing to do with the Wii specifically. As I said, the pattern of console titles outselling handheld titles by a huge margin is noticeable. Mario Kart 8 is most likely going to outsell Mario Kart 7.

By what estimation? The 3DS has 30+ Million units sold, vs about 3+ Million for the Wii U? I reckon the 3DS is selling faster than the Wii U too.... That is a 10x larger userbase.

Mario Kart 7 has sold about 8 Million Units on its own too. In order for MK8 to outsell MK7, the Wii U would need to triple in terms of the number of units sold, and on top of that, every single Wii U user would need to buy a copy of MK8.

It's not going to be a rare thing, it's going to happen again. Nintendo makes a lot of profit in the console space, that's why they still exist. Focusing on handheld would be a pretty dumb decision.

Not any more. Nintendo are selling the Wii U at a loss. Especially after the price cut. If they continue to post a loss on each Wii U sold, its going to hurt them. Yeah they may have the cash to survive, but to allow a division of your company to just bleed money like this, is just bad business.

Going handheld only, would actually be a smart move, if the Wii U doesn't start to fly off the shelves.

Edited by Scar

I cannot fathom why you guys think that the console market having less competition would be a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 6

Mario Kart 7 has sold about 8 Million Units on its own too. In order for MK8 to outsell MK7, the Wii U would need to triple in terms of the number of units sold

No it doesn't. It would have to sell 8.1 million units to outsell Mario Kart 7. Silly Scar.

It's also funny people forget how much money Nintendo makes off software. It's also funny how we're assuming today's Wii U numbers to compare Mario Kart 8 sales.

@Captain Levi

Fucking this. "NINTENDO SHOULD ONLY MAKE HANDHELDS" my ass.

Nintendo are hardly part of the same market anymore. Nintendo games actually have a palette of more than 5 colors.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo are hardly part of the same market anymore. Nintendo games actually have a palette of more than 5 colors.

You're gonna piss of a certain user. I'm pretty sure there's a person on this forum that gets SUPER mad when someone claims this lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

One other thing: Even if Nintendo has lost money over a console, that stil shouldn't mean they should drop out all together. Otherwise Sony would've dropped out after the disaster that was the ps3's first few years.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm kind of angry at Capcom atm so I'm pretty spiteful.

Who isn't angry at Capcom these days? With some of their recent practices over the years with their series, it just sometimes seems like they are ignoring what the customers want. I'm sure there are people out there that enjoy some of their recent games, but it seems like they do need to listen a bit more.

And like I said in my post... is that because the DS playback is from hardware added in as an extra in order for it to play, or because it's a by product of getting 3DS games to play.

Because if it's down to hardware being added as an extra. Take that out of the 2DS and release it at an even lower cost.

..... Ok is anyone else getting slightly confused now with trying to type 2DS & 3DS?

All pre-owned hardware from GAME comes with a warrenty of a year.

Dude, the thing is a 3DS without a 3D screen. It uses the same hardware and operating system.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 2

Uhm... No? Fuck off I don't want Nintendo to resort it's IP's to handhelds only, I like my big 3D adventures/Grand Prix's/Bounty Hunting/whatever the fuck else I want, I don't care if Nintendo are ass with third party games, I like my big AAA Nintendo IP games, and I don't care if I have to wait 2-3-4 years for a New Metroid/Smash/Mario, as long as I get it and continue to keep getting all my beloved IP's then I don't really give a shit.

• Thumbs Up 3

Uhm... No? Fuck off I don't want Nintendo to resort it's IP's to handhelds only, I like my big 3D adventures/Grand Prix's/Bounty Hunting/whatever the fuck else I want, I don't care if Nintendo are ass with third party games, I like my big AAA Nintendo IP games, and I don't care if I have to wait 2-3-4 years for a New Metroid/Smash/Mario, as long as I get it and continue to keep getting all my beloved IP's then I don't really give a shit.

same here, I mean one of the reason I got the wii-u is for the potential of a new Metroid, Star fox, or even zelda entry(and I only played my first zelda game this summer), heck even f-zero would be great. They always have fun major IPs, new and old, and they are quality, and on top of that the only few third party games(outside of starwars) is on the wii-u(case in point, Sonic, and Lego marvel superheroes

I cannot fathom why you guys think that the console market having less competition would be a good thing.

Nintendo isn't competition, though. I'm not saying this to be snarky, they just aren't. Nintendo doesn't give a shit what Sony and Microsoft do, and the other two focus on each other far more than they do Nintendo.

Look at the Xbox One DRM fiasco. Why do you think so many people rejoiced when Sony made their E3 announcement? Why do you think all eyes were on Sony when Nintendo had already made their stance clear?

Nintendo just isn't playing the same game, and isn't reaching for the same audience. There's nothing wrong with that on paper (look at the Wii), but it can also backfire tremendously (look at the Gamecube/Wii U). 

Personally? I like Handheld Nintendo infinitely more, and I think the full force of all of their development teams on one system would be a sight to see for sure.

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't see how demographics impact that. The PsP, Vita, or all the smartphone games weren't aiming for the 3ds market, but were still considered its competition.

" Look at the Xbox One DRM fiasco. Why do you think so many people rejoiced when Sony made their E3 announcement? Why do you think all eyes were on Sony when Nintendo had already made their stance clear?"

Because the gaming market has gotten so toxic that a company telling its loyal, paying consumers that it won't screw them over hard when they were considering it was amazing? *sort of sarcasm *

Edited by Captain Levi

I'm actually going to agree with Azookara on the 2DS's design. It looks to me like a GBA, GBC, and a Game and Watch merged into a handheld with a 90's styled plastic bits on the side. Its like a retro revival kind of design to me and one that isn't used for devices as much today as I would like. Everything has to be smooth, thin, and jet black nowadays.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, I'm just saying. 

psmove.jpg

What the fuck is this then?

Well this was unexpected to say the least. I bet Nintendo fans are already raging.

actualy, I think I am going to reccomend the 2DS to my aunt for my cousin, whos around ten. he's not a great gamer, but he has had my ds lite for 2 or so years now which I got about 8~ years ago myself, so its time for an upgrade, but he lives on the rance, has dogs, and isnt the best with his stuff, and he has had seizures in the past, so 3D is just a bad idea, and the price makes it great for him, so ya, there are certian groups it would be great for

• Thumbs Up 3

actualy, I think I am going to reccomend the 2DS to my aunt for my cousin, whos around ten. he's not a great gamer, but he has had my ds lite for 2 or so years now which I got about 8~ years ago myself, so its time for an upgrade, but he lives on the rance, has dogs, and isnt the best with his stuff, and he has had seizures in the past, so 3D is just a bad idea, and the price makes it great for him, so ya, there are certian groups it would be great for

Oh wow, I didn't think about a circumstance like this too. I don't think people with eye problems should be using 3D so this would be perfect.

So is this going to be eventually replacing the original 3DS model on shelves, because I'd be surprised if Nintendo tried to maintain three models of the same system at once. Have they ever done more than two at a time before?

The 2DS looks more like a different choice tag along system than a replacement. The 2DS looks like it is more aimed at kids due to the design and looks to be more durable look, but also would be aimed at people that can't see 3D or those with eye troubles.

The normal 3DS and XL are for people that can see the 3D, have already committed  to one of the systems, or those that don't mind the hidge look. It really is just a matter of preference. Each option is different and each person can pick whichever they want. I dont see these replacing each other.

I still see DSI XLs being sold at my work, including the original model of the 3ds and the 3ds XL so it might take the spot of the DSI XL, but yes they still keep the other models on the shelves as well until a bit later after they are released. I honestly don't get the hate this handheld is causing though, this isn't the first time any gaming company decides to make a cheaper version of a console or handheld with less features. Why is this time any different? :V

Since this version practically removes the 3D function, something I wasn't going to use because of the battery life, I'll probably get this one then. That price is very welcome too.

The design sure is not appealing, it's already odd that it won't fold, something that made the DS, well, a DS.

Only issue for me would be this:

EDIT: Though I kinda forgot, it might be hard to do those levels in 3D Land when you go in a tube and has those rooms with the fixed camera perspective that kinda require 3D to complete.

If every game does full use of it to an extent, I would miss part of that.