Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

WHY IS IT A JAPAN EXCLUSIVE

Q: Why is (gaming related thing) a Japanese exclusive?

A: No one in the whole goddamn world fucking knows.

But yeah, I like the look of that.

Edited by Solkia-kun

If anything, it might be a Nintendo World exclusive like many of the past North American Game Boy/DS systems with Pokemon decos.

If anything, it might be a Nintendo World exclusive like many of the past North American Game Boy/DS systems with Pokemon decos.

I fucking hope so.

actually wait, it's a lottery item. Nintendo World only tends to stock American versions of Japanese Pokemon Center merch, iirc, so that may slim the chances of it getting released outside of Japanland.

Fingers crossed, anyway. I told myself that I'd only get a 3DSXL once a neat special edition deco comes out, and this looks neat to me.

• 1 month later...

Bumping for a question.

Does anyone know if putting a DS game in a 3DS is sure-fire way to tell if that game is bootlegged? I bought Devil Survivor 2 off amazon (directly from) and the cartridge looks a little different from my other DS games. I heard that if your game shows up on your 3DS it is legit, because it protects against counterfeit games or something. I haven't heard anything conclusive though, so I'm just wondering.

I don't know what it is about Atlus games but I'm always questioning the copies I get.

My girlfriend was explicitly unable to run her chinese copy of Pokemon White 2 on her 3DS which leads me to believe it can check whether or not a cartridge of that sort isn't an officially licensed one. It's not going to brick your game or system if it doesn't work though, it'll just give you the generic "error" message and ask you to reboot your system.

My girlfriend was explicitly unable to run her chinese copy of Pokemon White 2 on her 3DS which leads me to believe it can check whether or not a cartridge of that sort isn't an officially licensed one. It's not going to brick your game or system if it doesn't work though, it'll just give you the generic "error" message and ask you to reboot your system.

Wouldn't that depend on the region of the 3DS? BW2 is a DS game with DSi features so it's actually region locked when played on a DSi or 3DS. (Of course if her 3DS matched the region anyway for Chinese games that's a non-point)

3DS is region locked, so any game with DSi features won't run in the wrong region, as SuperLink says. A bootlegged SoulSilver didn't run on either the DSi or the DSi XL, so I wouldn't be surprised if they would also not run on the 3DS.

Check the code on the game chip - if it starts with NTR, it should work; if is starts with TWL it's DSi-enhanced and will be region-locked. Of course, if the last three letters are USA it should work regardless, as long as you have a US 3DS.

How do you mean looks different? Bootlegs may be a lighter shade of gray and have silver connecting points instead of gold.

Wouldn't that depend on the region of the 3DS? BW2 is a DS game with DSi features so it's actually region locked when played on a DSi or 3DS. (Of course if her 3DS matched the region anyway for Chinese games that's a non-point)

Well, I believe my Pokemon White is a bootleg since I bought it from the Silk Market in Beijing, China (which is notorious for having knock-off products). I probably wouldn't really call it a "Chinese copy" since it's been labeled with the USA code on the front and the entire game is in English. It doesn't run at all on my 3DS (which is from the US), but it runs perfectly fine on my DS Lite. The only things that lead me to believe it's bootlegged though is that the cartridge isn't a dark grey/black colour, it's a bit of a lighter shade of grey, and when you turn the game on, the screen starts off black and sort of switches to a blank white screen as if it's refreshing before going to the Game Freak title sequence.

Edited by Toast

3DS is region locked, so any game with DSi features won't run in the wrong region, as SuperLink says. A bootlegged SoulSilver didn't run on either the DSi or the DSi XL, so I wouldn't be surprised if they would also not run on the 3DS.

My PAL copy of White 2 works perfectly fine on a North American 3DS though.

Also disregarding what I said earlier it was the original White, not the sequel.

How do you mean looks different? Bootlegs may be a lighter shade of gray and have silver connecting points instead of gold.

the connecting pins or whatever you call them are gold. The green part of the chip connected to the gold is a lighter shade than any of my other games, the cartridge is a little thicker, and the sticker is on rather lopsided. Add that to the fact that the Devil Survivor boxes and cartridges always look so weird because of the three different languages plastered all over the box (litterally everything is repeated in three languages). It just looks so... off compared to my other games, not in an obvious "This is most definitely a bootleg" sort of way, just weird little things.

It starts in my 3DS fine, and I bought it directly from Amazon, but I dunno.

Well, I believe my Pokemon White is a bootleg since I bought it from the Silk Market in Beijing, China (which is notorious for having knock-off products). I probably wouldn't really call it a "Chinese copy" since it's been labeled with the USA code on the front and the entire game is in English. It doesn't run at all on my 3DS (which is from the US), but it runs perfectly fine on my DS Lite. The only things that lead me to believe it's bootlegged though is that the cartridge isn't a dark grey/black colour, it's a bit of a lighter shade of grey, and when you turn the game on, the screen starts off black and sort of switches to a blank white screen as if it's refreshing before going to the Game Freak title sequence.

Wow that definitely sounds fake D:

My PAL copy of White 2 works perfectly fine on a North American 3DS though.

Also disregarding what I said earlier it was the original White, not the sequel.

Hm really? That's strange, I thought it would have been region locked but maybe that's just a select few DSi games.

For what it's worth, I have some cartridges with a paler green chip than others, so I wouldn't necessarily count that against it. I don't have a lot to compare to, but it doesn't scream fake like the SS game did. I'd lean towards it being genuine based on the pictures.

A gray HG/SS, B/W or B2/W2 chip is definitely fake, though because the IR communications require the translucent black to work.

• 2 weeks later...

You can usually tell right away if a DS game is bootleg. The print on the label won't be too sharp and the sticker itself will usually be misaligned. 

On an unrelated note, I must say I'm a bit saddened by just how much I've 'gone off' the 3D effect on the 3DS lately. I don't know why, but more and more as of late I'm noticing that nasty screen-darkening effect that happens if you move the handheld so much as a fraction of a millimetre out of the 'sweet spot'. 

I'm not talking about losing the 3D effect by moving the console too much; literally that, even if the 3D effect stays, holding it at anything other than a perfectly straight, forward-facing angle will darken the screen considerably. It's a shame, because I still think the 3D looks amazing when done well, but this constant darkening of the screen really bugs me to the point I just usually end up turning the 3D off. 

I'm really not sure why I never noticed this as much in the past; maybe it's more noticeable on a 3DS XL, I don't know. But it's just annoying, because even the motions of moving your thumbs on the Circle/ D-Pad and buttons is enough to darken the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, it's not a new trailer; I thought it was, but I saw it quite a while ago.  Well, regardless, I'm looking forward to DQVII3D, even though I really can't stand Toriyama's art style.

May as well post this here too; shamelessly copied from my post in the WiiU thread:

Have you guys heard about this yet?

Basically Nintendo are going to restructure somewhat in order to synergise their console and handheld segments even more, if it's true it'll happen on 16th of Feb. Also not sure what it means when they say "tapping into Twitter", whether that means Twitter integration or making Miiverse more like Twitter or something.

Either way, very interesting and kind of exciting!

Man, you know what I was just thinking about that I'd love?  If Nintendo did some sort of "bundle" deal on games with multiplayer for download play.

Like how Steam had discounted 4-packs for multiplayer games y'know?

I was thinking about how I'd love to play Luigi's Mansion multiplayer but... unless it has download play, hell if I'm buying two copies for Molly and I.

But if they did something like, on the eShop, allowing you to download one copy, and have a code you can transfer to another 3DS in order to get a second copy at half price or something?  I'd totally do that!

Since it'd be download offer only, it'd mean that there'd be no worry for people getting half price copies and then selling them to people, and making it so the code is only transferrable to another 3DS through direct contact would ensure that the deal was done for the intended reason - for ease of multiplayer between couples, family members and friends, so people couldn't just give out the code to anyone and get them half price for no reason etc.

EDIT

Alternatively, it'd be nice to have downloadable versions of games that only include the multiplayer component at a discounted price.  Therefore I could buy a retail copy of Luigi's Mansion, Mollfie could buy "Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - Multiplayer Only" for like, £5, we can both use the game card for playing single player (assuming there's multiple files), and she'd have a digital copy just for multiplayer usage.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Amazon just sent me a notification that a bunch of CDs I'd bought in the past (one back 10 years!) are now accompanied by free MP3s of all the songs on them.  Pity I don't think I'll ever get a similar message from Club Nintendo: 'Hey, you can now download for free the e-versions of every 3DS/ Wii U game you've registered with us!'   Sigh.  Even if they charged a nominal fee - say $5, it'd be nice

• Thumbs Up 2

Amazon just sent me a notification that a bunch of CDs I'd bought in the past (one back 10 years!) are now accompanied by free MP3s of all the songs on them.  Pity I don't think I'll ever get a similar message from Club Nintendo: 'Hey, you can now download for free the e-versions of every 3DS/ Wii U game you've registered with us!'   Sigh.  Even if they charged a nominal fee - say $5, it'd be nice

MP3 is kind of different than video games lol. Most songs/movies come with digital editions.

Games I don't see that happening for a while.

Technically any game that is Steam activated is already this assuming it doesn't have a limited number of installs.  Unfortunately Nintendo would need to tie them to accounts though, meaning you'd prolly need to be online to play (or at least sign in periodically to keep access to the games while out and about).