Awoo.

Leaked Gameplay Footage of Sonic 4!

Matriculated

^ Just as there is no objective proof that this is essentially Sonic Rush 3, there is zero proof that this game actually will be any better than "the trash released in recent years."

Frankly, I don't even care about that at this point. (Okay, I do, but that's beside the point.) At the very least, it shows that Sega (or at the very least Dimps) is at least LOOKING at the classic Sonic formula rather than putting Sonic into some new wacky predicament that leads to an unnecessarily large amount of slow and/or unnecessarily small amount of flow. Whether this game is as delicious as a fresh chili dog or as terrible as a rotten egg, the fact that it exists can only mean the future is bright.

Edited by SuperStingray

Just as there is no objective proof that this is essentially Sonic Rush 3, there is zero proof that this game actually will be any better than "the trash released in recent years."

I said something just like this in the Sonic Rush 3 topic.

..I was ignored. lol

I've just noticed something really nerdy; parallax scrolling has returned!

And it looks like shit. Seriously, CGI images looks horrible with parallax, it looks like paper cut-outs. Kills the illusion stone-dead. FAIL.

Also, thanks for the comparison pic Doc Egg, now I realise how just how dull and lifeless Splash Hill looks compared to the other three.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 4

Wow, the first proper footage of Sonic 4 and all we get is a bunch of people crying. I can't believe we're finally getting something better than the trash released in recent years and the overwhelming reaction is a negative one from the Sonic hardcore. If you want SEGA could just go back to churning out more broken 3D games with new friends promising exciting new gameplay opportunities that further deviate from the Sonic formula. Some of you should realize we're lucky to get anything like Sonic 4 even if it doesn't reach your lofty expectations. If I didn't know better reading through this topic I'd think some of you hated Sonic.

If you're going back to 2D, do it correctly. That's why people like myself are still disgruntled. Just because they're going back to a 2D "Retro-esque" style doesn't mean that I have to settle for the bullshit I saw yesterday. It's not what I've been wanting for nigh on a decade now. Let me bitch if I want to and you can be optimistic if you want to. S'all good.

Take this beer and drink it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

And it looks like shit. Seriously, CGI images looks horrible with parallax, it looks like paper cut-outs. Kills the illusion stone-dead. FAIL.

Hm, after watching it again, I kind of see what you mean. But I think the issue's more in the z-depth rather than the graphics. The water in the original games had extremely thin spacing between them so it looked like a single body. If this had more layers, it would seem more real. Though I don't necessarily see what's wrong with the "cardboard cutout" style; has a sort of simplistic charm to me.

your mom's dull and lifeless

Did you really just go there?

your mom's dull and lifeless

Not cool, man, not cool. Not to mention you said absolutely nothing to contest my statement.

Hm, after watching it again, I kind of see what you mean. But I think the issue's more in the z-depth rather than the graphics. The water in the original games had extremely thin spacing between them so it looked like a single body. If this had more layers, it would seem more real. Though I don't necessarily see what's wrong with the "cardboard cutout" style; has a sort of simplistic charm to me.

I dunno. A good part of why it screws up is because, back in the day, parallax scrolling backgrounds were specifically designed to complete an illusion of depth using 2D graphics. However, when you use 3D visuals made into 2D images, it comes off as flat and fake somehow. Basically, they did a poor job of trying to make it look right. The cardboard cutout thing, to me, ruins it because parallax is supposed to be a way to fake depth in 2D space, instead, it kills the illusion stone dead, and thus loses the charm of the classics. Parallax scrolling only looks good when the layers come together well and doesn't look "flat". This is one area where Sonic 4 fails.

Just cause things are dull and lifeless doesn't mean I don't still love them.

Wha... I'm sorry, did you just say you admit it is dull and lifeless level art, yet you still like it? Especially considering everything looks like freaking cheap plastic that makes everything look so... Fake?

What the hell, man?

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Wha... I'm sorry, did you just say you LIKE such dull and lifeless level art? Especially considering everything looks like freaking cheap plastic?

What the hell, man?

You know that nice feeling you get when you hold a soft stuffed animal close to your cheek even though you know deep down its not alive? That strange feeling of happy isolation you get when there's a bleak storm outside? It's that kind of appeal.

Edited by SuperStingray

You know that nice feeling you get when you hold a soft stuffed animal close to your cheek even though you know deep down its not alive? That strange feeling of happy isolation you get when there's a bleak storm outside? It's that kind of appeal.

Two totally different things, man. A teddy bear, or any old toy in the real world, is far more appealing than having an entire game world look like plastic. You can practically give life to a thing you can hold, in a sense, because it's real, but in a game with 3D visuals where it's nowhere near as good as real life, it's difficult to leave things to imagination like the 8-bit/16-bit days, and what you see is what you get, you can't put life into it yourself. It's practically the uncanny valley of environments, it's off-putting, IMO. I don't get how it could possibly hold such an appeal. I really don't.

I don't get how it could possibly hold such an appeal. I really don't.

Necrophilia, just don't question it.

• Thumbs Up 1

A little late into the game, but it looks pretty okay so far. Though of course, the physics are pretty wonky and hopefully, it'll get fixed soon. Also, I do agree that SHZ is undoubtedly Green Hill 8(or 9).0.

I do wish it will be sold in retail stores :( .

So I skimmed these past few pages... so far I saw Masaru's mom mentioned, parallax scrolling and necrophilia.

What is WRONG with you people?!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

So I skimmed these past few pages... so far I saw Masaru's mom mentioned, parallax scrolling and necrophilia.

Welcome to the Internet, enjoy your stay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, thanks for the comparison pic Doc Egg, now I realise how just how dull and lifeless Splash Hill looks compared to the other three.

I disagree. I like how it looks. :-/ Also, I like how the ground is sort of shiny...

Edited by MarcelloF

I think the graphics look great, they shouldn't look realistic that isn't that style of the classics. They should be whacky and colorful which they are. So thumbs up for sega for that. The game play looks pretty solid too, obviously this is an alpha build so there will be some problems. When sonic goes through one of the loops he falls before finishing it. I think that is a clear sign the physics are still being adjusted and that it isn't trying to emulate some DS game. There is no way in hell Sega would release the game with sonic not being able to smoothly run through the signature loops.

And yeah there are some really questionable people in the sonic community... more so on this forum. Asperger syndrome seems to plague a lot of these nerds who come on here with they way they speak about a children's game.

Edited by Bubonic Bunny
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I've come to realise something:

Great trailer with big fan reaction saying it's the 'return of Sonic' = shitty game like Sonic 06 that the fans come to hate.

Trailers showing hardly anything with almost all rabid butthurt fans claiming it's going to be absolutely shit = ???

(on a more serious note, you guys are seriously butthurt. The one time SEGA try to make a classic game for you rabid idiots you all suddenly jump on a big bandwagon saying they're not doing it right/it's going to be horrible. Unpleasable fanbaseness sucks. SEGA can't do anything right for you can they?)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It's a Sonic thread. How come this is a surprise anymore?

[Off-Topic]

Splash Hill is closer to being the 20th iteration of the Green Hill Zone at this point and that's not even counting the 3D ripoffs - don't overlook the 8-bit games, Sonic CD or Rush Adventure either. Of all the Green levels Plant Kingdom is probably the most extreme deviation from Green Hill but still serves the same role in-game. That Sonic 4 seems to be sticking closer to older blueprints aesthetically isn't necessarily a good thing either, it's what makes the numerous Green Hill remakes feel so samey all the time. Even comparing Plant Kingdom and Leaf Storm alone, they seemed worlds away from one another in style.

[On-Topic]

I'm going to be blunt: the footage isn't particularly inspiring.

The menu system has me concerned - if the stage acts don't progress naturally from one to the next á la S3&K it's going to feel like a huge step backwards, yet there's a Stage Select screen and it's not a cheat menu. :/

The actual stage so far feels like a 2D Sonic game, but it seems to be trying too hard to make callbacks to level designs from Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 without actually replicating the feel of those elements. It's not necessarily a bad thing in itself for the new installment to feel different but feeling different whilst trying so hard to look like Sonic 2 is going to leave a bad taste in my mouth. On top of that, I have this really odd feeling I can't shake about what I'm seeing with this footage.

Doesn't this game look like someone gave semi-talented fangame designers an XBLA dev kit and a copy of a 3D modelling program and let them loose with it? I don't want a professionally produced Sonic title to feel like fanwank. :(

You could select stages in S3&K...

Edit:Oh, yeah and Barry: Isn't it time you updated your Title Screen comparasion? We got the official one now.. :-/

Edited by MarcelloF

(on a more serious note, you guys are seriously butthurt. The one time SEGA try to make a classic game for you rabid idiots you all suddenly jump on a big bandwagon saying they're not doing it right/it's going to be horrible. Unpleasable fanbaseness sucks. SEGA can't do anything right for you can they?)

Apparently not :D Not even Sonic 4 is good enough for our ungrateful asses >=D

'cause, y'know, it's not like we wanted Sonic to return to his roots or anything....

Wait, I mean, we want him return to his roots more.... but doing that would mean it's a rehash... but it's not enough of a rehash.... which it needs to be... so we can complain about it....which would mean it's not what we want....

:huh:

WE HAZ NO LOGICZ

Edited by EXshad