Awoo.

Leaked Gameplay Footage of Sonic 4!

Matriculated

... It is new shit though? bahaha

Don't twist my words. I regularly substitute "shit" for "stuff." Haven't you caught that in the staff forum yet (which is where I make a majority of my posts)?

You can callback to past levels and create new content. Point still stands.

What I didnt get in the video is why the player keeps jumping over things like the red speed boosters, also why he/she keeps trying to run slowly up the hill at the end. I'm sure I saw the player perform the spin dash on various platforms where you didnt need it(such as against walls) so why the player couldnt just spin dash up that hill is beyond me.

Don't twist my words. I regularly substitute "shit" for "stuff." Haven't you caught that in the staff forum yet (which is where I make a majority of my posts)?

You can callback to past levels and create new content. Point still stands.

Yeah, as do I.

New content is in there, the stage maps are clearly not clones of the old games, even if they look (a lot) alike. Point still stands.

This is sonic rush 3 anyway dudes, no chance of a rehash.

What I didnt get in the video is why the player keeps jumping over things like the red speed boosters, also why he/she keeps trying to run slowly up the hill at the end. I'm sure I saw the player perform the spin dash on various platforms where you didnt need it(such as against walls) so why the player couldnt just spin dash up that hill is beyond me.

Maybe because he was beta testing or something. I play my own fangame like an idiot, too. You'll never know what you'll find when you just start jumping around at random or run at stuff a certain way. He found a glitch in that you can get stuck in that wall. That speed booster that he jumped over was clearly designed to mask gameplay flaws. By sending you into that spring/loop sequence at top speed, you won't get stuck in the wall.

Again, speed boosters masking for mistakes and getting caught in curves? Oh, hi, Sonic Rush.

the stage maps are clearly not clones of the old games, even if they look (a lot) alike

If I wanted to play new stage maps of old levels, there are about 1000 hacks that can fulfill that want. :s

STFHU = Shut The Fucking Hell Up.

I complain with reason. They try to be nostalgic, and it just looks terrible. The visuals are Green Hill 2.0 with hideously-done CGI and parallax, and the rest of the game seems like a total rehash as well. We have yet to see any new badniks. The physics are wonky and more than likely adapated from Rush, as Dimps is working on it. The music is lame, which is especially bad since Sonic games generally have GOOD music. The title screen's finger wave looks horrible. The level design... Okay, I haven't seen enough to make a good judgement, but still. And the Homing Attack is just as I feared.

I want to give them a chance, I really do, but when Iizuka is supposedly directing and Dimps seem to have lost the point of what Sonic 4 should be, not to mention all attempts at looking retro just come off as bad-looking and rehashy, when we should be getting a new game in the classic style with new ideas instead of Sonic 1+2 melded together with the Homing Attack thrown in, I find it extremely hard to give it a chance.

Look, from what I'm seeing, it'll probably be good at best. Not exceptional. This is supposed to be Sonic 4, for pete's sake, yet I wonder why the hell they chose that title, because this game doesn't seem to deserve it. I'll probably enjoy it, but will be ultimately underwhelmed.

Ah, I am not too savvy on the kids acronym lingo, now I know :lol:

I see peoples complaints with this, and perhaps I was a bit harsh, but the way I see it SEGA have finally listened to the classic fans and essentially that is a win in itself.

The problems this game has may well be fixed by the time it is released, and if not at worst it still looks and feels alot more like classic Sonic (At least IMO) than all of the Sonic games that come out these days.

I agree that some things would be nice to have, like a non smug-faced Sonic on the title screen with a better animation then just waggles finger - and hopefully the badniks and levels will take on more personality than "reminds me exactly of___ zone", but as long as they deliver classic Sonic to me I'll be happy. Also classic look Sonic and Robotnik called "Robotnik" would be nice ;)

If I wanted to play new stage maps of old levels, there are about 1000 hacks that can fulfill that want. :s
Oh boy.

I imagine a lot of the oddities in the video we've seen is due to the game ebing in alpha stage- If they follow any kind of standard development cycle we'll see improvements by release.

That speed booster that he jumped over was clearly designed to mask gameplay flaws. By sending you into that spring/loop sequence at top speed, you won't get stuck in the wall.

It didn't look like he was getting "stuck" on the wall. It looked like the player was constantly doing the homing attack while pressed against it. He keeps breaking into ball-form and there's a particle effect every time. Considering the player wouldn't stop jumping, it makes sense.

And do you REALLY think they'd put the speed booster there just to stop Sonic from getting stuck on the wall instead of just fixing the damn thing? Sonic Team and Dimps don't have perfect track records, but honestly.

Edited by The Soldier

The sad thing is, Classic 2D Sonic will do absolutely nothing for the woes of 3D Sonic, and could quite possibly make them worse. Until someone can make a great if not fantastic 3D Sonic game in the future, all Sonic 4 is doing is distracting people from the series' true problems.

The sad thing is, Classic 2D Sonic will do absolutely nothing for the woes of 3D Sonic, and could quite possibly make them worse. Until someone can make a great if not fantastic 3D Sonic game in the future, all Sonic 4 is doing is distracting people from the series' true problems.

Who cares? sonic doesn't /have/ to be 3D

And do you REALLY think they'd put the speed booster there just to stop Sonic from getting stuck on the wall instead of just fixing the damn thing? Sonic Team and Dimps don't have perfect track records, but honestly.

Yes. Yes, I do.

^This.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Yes. Yes, I do.

But that doesn't make any sense. Even if he went off the speed booster, his momentum would've been halted once the hit the wall anyway, whether he was holding right or not. And if it were the case, why wouldn't they make it mandatory to hit?

I still insist that he was using the Homing Attack over and over.

Edited by The Soldier

Dimps might not be the best level designers but they certainly are not shit coders. Sonic Rush while being bland, had a generally good physics engine. I really dont think that booster is there to mask up a blatant issue when this leaked footage could have come from anywhen.

Where was this playthrough from anyway? I dont think that was ever confirmed. The way the kid plays makes me think its a playtest and the way he shits all over the game makes me think he forcefully tries to fuck up the game, which mind you, is part of what as a tester, you need to do.

Sonic 1+2 with Rush physics. Am I complaining? Hell no!

From the 'SEEEEGAAAA' logo featuring wheel-feet Sonic, all the way to the end of the video, I was ten times happier than the night the teaser was released. Obviously there are problems with the speed and the gravity, but I'm sure these issues will be fixed.

Right, well it might look like a rehash considering the level style is similar to those seen in Sonic 1 and 2, but I'd take this game over the recent shit we've been getting any day. Seriously, after seeing this footage, surely we can give this game a chance. Not once did I think about how classic Sonic wasn't used, which is surprising considering I wanted him in the place of modern Sonic. The badniks look good even though reused, we have Sonic's wheel feet animation which to the fans was a must have, and levels appear to be classic and not Rush. This game looks and feels 80% classic to me and I'm sure others would agree.

"You can callback to past levels and create new content. Point still stands." - These levels are exactly that - styled on the levels from the classics but with completely different stage layout.

As for playing 'poorly', try holding a camera and playing a game with one hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

But that doesn't make any sense. Even if he went off the speed booster, his momentum would've been halted once the hit the wall anyway, whether he was holding right or not.

I still insist that he was using the Homing Attack over and over.

You might think it does, but I've been inside all dem sawnik gamezes. That speed booster makes the difference.

I mean, why is it even there if Sonic is going to run straight into the wall anyway? It serves a purpose.

Sonic Rush while being bland, had a generally good physics engine.

So, being able to stand on the side of a large curve is considered "good" now? 'K.

These levels are exactly that - styled on the levels from the classics but with completely different stage layout.

Again, lemme go play a rom hack. Oh, look, it's the same levels that I've seen with new layouts. The difference is that the Sonic physics are there.

• Bad Quality Post 1

It doesn't have to be 3D, no shit, but, by the same line of thought, why should it restrict itself to 2D? Hitting the polygon ceiling is no excuse when you can get better devs to do the job. Though, you have to wonder if Sonic Team could actually do a 2D game right if they had to outsource it to Dimps yet again.

Looks good for an alpha. That part where Sonic goes through a wall got me all nostalgic. 3 acts per zone with different themes (sunset) is cool too.

It doesn't look like something that's going to top Sonic 3 & Knuckles (at least not this first episode). But it has the potential to be as fun as the other classics, if not better.

Guess Ruby was right. February was a good month...even though this was a unscheduled leak. :P

Edited by Tentomon

You might think it does, but I've been inside all dem sawnik gamezes. That speed booster makes the difference..

I don't really see what you're getting at. As it's been said, this is Dimps, and even if they're not making a grade-A game here, they at least have some vague clue as to what they're doing and aren't going to cock-up something as simple as a SPRING. If there were a problem with it, they'd fix it.

Whether or not the speed booster makes a difference, they're not going to deliberately place it there to cover up an alleged "glitch" like that. This is ground they've covered before.

Whether or not the speed booster makes a difference, they're not going to deliberately place it there to cover up an alleged "glitch" like that. This is ground they've covered before.

Whatever you say, bronik.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Yes, but by the same twist in logic, he doesn't have to restrict himself to just 2D either.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't have to be 3D, no shit, but, by the same line of thought, why should it restrict itself to 2D?

Yes, but by the same twist in logic, he doesn't have to restrict himself to just 2D either.

The 3D games turn out shit, brosephs. but don't me take your precious polygons away from you.

The 3D games turn out shit, brosephs. but don't me take your precious polygons away from you.

Of course you would say that, and I'm sure you realize that it's not because they're 3D that they ended up bad, broseph.

The ideas that go into the 3D games weren't pulled off decently to begin with. That, and there are possiblities of the 2D games sucking as well.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Sonic 1+2 with Rush physics. Am I complaining? Hell no!

From the 'SEEEEGAAAA' logo featuring wheel-feet Sonic, all the way to the end of the video, I was ten times happier than the night the teaser was released. Obviously there are problems with the speed and the gravity, but I'm sure these issues will be fixed.

Right, well it might look like a rehash considering the level style is similar to those seen in Sonic 1 and 2, but I'd take this game over the recent shit we've been getting any day. Seriously, after seeing this footage, surely we can give this game a chance. Not once did I think about how classic Sonic wasn't used, which is surprising considering I wanted him in the place of modern Sonic. The badniks look good even though reused, we have Sonic's wheel feet animation which to the fans was a must have, and levels appear to be classic and not Rush. This game looks and feels 80% classic to me and I'm sure others would agree.

"You can callback to past levels and create new content. Point still stands." - These levels are exactly that - styled on the levels from the classics but with completely different stage layout.

As for playing 'poorly', try holding a camera and playing a game with one hand.

^This! :D

I'm about as classic elite-ist as they come, but no matter the small amount of flaws people are finding, I am still loving what I am seeing. A few more levels would've been nice, inclusion of classic Sonic and "Robotnik" and the exclusion of the homing attack would've been better, but whilst that clip was going I felt the odd sensation of forgetting this was a new Sonic game, and rather than picking out the things that would bug me like I do with all new Sonic game footage, I was picking out the things that were making me happy - which was alot!

Plus this is only some leaked footage, I'm sure when we finally get to see SEGA's proper footage alot of the complaints will have been fixed and this will amaze only further!

EDIT: Just watching that footage some more....has anyone wondered who or how this guy got to play that? Also if you listen with the volume cranked right up it sounds like there is a baby or at least a little kid making sounds in the background....which leads me to think this guy is testing the game in his house on his TV.....??

Edited by The-Master-Board

As for Dimps making this game, I'm pretty happy about that. I don't like every game they make, but I loved Sonic Advance 1, the Rush games, and (on a un-Sonic note) Capcom's 2D retro revival: Street Fighter IV. Besides, Sonic Advance 1 is the closest thing to the classics and was in 2001, whereas Sonic Team hasn't made a classic like Sonic game since the Genesis days (and most of the people who did those are long gone). Not to mention Dimps is much less likely to send out a buggy game.

Sure, it would have been nice to see Sonic Team redeem itself with this game, but at what matters at the end of the day is whether or not the game I'm playing is any good. I have more faith in Dimps to make that happen than Sonic Team.

Time to spread this to the good people. :D People must know about Sonic 4!

By "the good people", I assume you mean "people who aren't associated with this fan base".

....quite right.

Edited by Tentomon