Awoo.

Leaked Gameplay Footage of Sonic 4!

Matriculated

The 3D games turn out shit, brosephs. but don't me take your precious polygons away from you.

Most of the 3D games weren't shit simply because they were 3D. They were shit because they were shit. Nothing prevents this game from following the same hollowed path.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic 3 only had 12 acts, and it was superior to Sonic 1 in almost every way imaginable.

BLAM!

Sonic 3 had massively larger levels in comparison anyway. You still had 6 different environments.

And yeah, Sonic 3 surpasses Sonic 1 in several ways. Point?

You think you owned me or something, but you really didn't.

Really.

That's what really grinds my gears about this being leaked. I loved seeing the gameplay and can understand what an alpha build is, however I knew that thousands of fans would take the footage as final. "4 zones?? Broken physics?!!?" will be something we'll have to get used to hearing for the next 5 months...

"Leaked Alpha Footage" is the new "Three Seconds of Gameplay."

• Thumbs Up 1

"Leaked Alpha Footage" is the new "Three Seconds of Gameplay."

lol, hey, if Episode 1 sucks, we can always just say "it's just one episode". 'cause we're clever like that ;)

Is it weird that now I agree with phos in almost everything he said but I am still excited about this?

I mean, it looks like he was right, this looks like it was build from the Sonic Rush engine, but that doesn't mean they are not going to change it, and inb4 you tlak about Sonic 06, that was just... 1.... game...

I just, don't get why many people pull out 06 as if it was the absolute proof that all of the Sonic games had horrible development, if anything, I see 06 as the exception, not the rule....

p.d: I am obviously talking about the bugfixing point of view, the quality of the content and the ideas being displayed in the aforementioned games has nothing to do with the development process (at least the part we were talking about).

I'm still wondering how this game looks ANYTHING like it was built with the Rush engine.

Frozen and Phos crackpot theories must be getting to your heads,

And about Dimps, I sure as hell hope they aren't doing the level design for this game. Say what you will about any of their games being good, they still had the shittiest level design I've ever seen and their presence is felt again when they put a Motobug on that incline, an area where you're going to be moving fast and be unable to react in time to not get hit, something that's plagued Dimp's games since Advance 1.

Edited by Black Spy

Haven't we had rigged inclines since Spring Yard Zone, with those fuggin' spikeballs and armadillo bots being tossed in there? Besides, with the roll and Spindash fully reinstated, I don't see a lone Motobug on a hill as a sign of a significant problem yet.

Besides, with the roll and Spindash fully reinstated, I don't see a lone Motobug on a hill as a sign of a significant problem yet.

True, but that shows a sign of bad enemy placement, i.e placing enemies in inconvenient places,

Edited by Black Spy

Just noticed in the Lost Labyrinth Zone thumbnail Sonic is doing one of his classic waiting poses :D

True, but that shows a sign of bad enemy placement, i.e placing enemies in inconvenient places,

Sonic CD had alot of horribly misplaced enemies as well but that didnt stop the game from being great.

Dimps might not be good at placing the shit out but no way in hell does Sonic Team get exclused out of that. Poorly placed enemies is bound to happen in even the best Sonic games. Hell I always roll on a steep hill.

Sonic CD had alot of horribly misplaced enemies as well but that didnt stop the game from being great.

Sonic CD also had level design that usually went out of its way to prevent sustained high speeds, so it wasn't that much of a problem.

Edited by Tornado

Just noticed in the Lost Labyrinth Zone thumbnail Sonic is doing one of his classic waiting poses :D

It looks more like his "looking up" sprite to me.

In response to the people calling it a rehash, I say...

Green Hill --- Palmtree Panic.

Spring Yard --- Collision Chaos.

Labyrinth --- Tidal Tempest.

Star Light --- Stardust Speedway.

Scrap Brain --- Metallic Madness.

Most levels have an analogue in CD, and what separates them is CD's tight level design (and time travel gimmick) despite using similar themes. I'm saying this game just can't be a Sonic 1-2 clone, because there's got to be something that separates the two, even if it's Rush physics, Dimps design, or the homing attack.

Sonic CD also had level design that usually went out of its way to prevent sustained high speeds, so it wasn't that much of a problem.

Which is kinda antithetical to the spirit of a genesis style Sonic game.

I really don't see what's bad about it. If not for the strangely large boost of speed when he hit the ground, there would've been plenty of time to jump or spin. And, I mean, it's a slight downward slope...if an enemy there is inconvenient, I can't see how an enemy on flat ground would be any less inconvenient.

That's what makes the enemies dangerous, though. I mean, a robotic ladybug that Sonic can jump over that travels at about 2 MPH ain't much of a threat on its own.

So I don't see this as a problem; it just adds to the challenge factor.

I don't get bad enemy placement. Wouldn't the enemy WANT to be in the best possible place to attack Sonic? The whole point of the ring system is that it's Sonic's life insurance. At the first playthrough you may get hit by a few cheap enemies, but don't die thanks to the ring system. THe next playthrough you know where the enemy will be so you're prepared to attack. Makes sense to me.

Standing on a hill like that was possible on similer hills in the genesis games (atleast 2, and i think 3, ill have to check the others later), so the genesis games had wierd physics too.

I dont see why standing on a hill is so bad, it actualy amuses me. And it seems to me that if you look for bad physics youll find them, at least he wasnt standing on the vertical part of the hill.

I'm still wondering how this game looks ANYTHING like it was built with the Rush engine.

Frozen and Phos crackpot theories must be getting to your heads,

Actually, Sonic can't go up the hill like in that video. He falls down, not very elegantly, but there's a big difference between Rush and this. We'll see how it pans out.

So, Dimps or not, was it confirmed it yet?

Dude, the suggestion that this game will be good because of the director is only making me worry more. Takashi Iizuka hasn't made a good Sonic game in years. He directed Heroes and ShadowTH, and although your mileage may vary, he also directed the Rivals games, the first of which I thought was an utter turd. Any time he directs a Sonic game, it turns out shit.

The problem is not Iizuka himself. It's Iizuka directing. He needs someone to hit in the head every time he starts spamming boost pads and straight lines.

Since Sonic CD was a second interpretation of what Sonic 1's legacy could be, that's not true in the slightest.

___

About the enemy placement, there's a difference between having them in arsehole places (I like many of them), or having them in a path from a spring or a launch thingy. That happens twice in the first minute or so of that video it was posted.

Edited by redmenace

It looks stunning in motion, at least when the camera isn't shaking around. Very smooth. Unlike others I actually like the jump animation, it's much more fluid than the "still picture" style of the Mega Drive titles - and I suppose that's a negative for some, but I don't see why the extra frames of animation shouldn't be used.

The physics I'm not really worried about, the player seemed to be intentionally hunting for glitches and the fact that Sonic didn't glitch through a wall or cannon-ball up to the sky seems a good enough sign with so many months to go. The music is just okay, it's certainly got great melodies - it's just a matter of the MD-soundchip-esque techno not really matching the lush visuals. Considering how much some of the music changed during the development in Unleashed, I'm sure they'll keep on working on it - I just hope it's not too restricted.

But yeah, I'm satisfied. Quite happy about Dimps working on it too, I enjoyed both Rush games and even if they don't hit a home run in replicating classic gameplay - I'll probably find it fun anyway. Now to wait for more officially released footage that's a bit easier to appreciate than a multitasking handycam beta tester with a heckling parrot.

Hence why I enjoyed it the least of the classic games and consider it overrated, but that's for another topic.

I really don't see what's bad about it. If not for the strangely large boost of speed when he hit the ground, there would've been plenty of time to jump or spin. And, I mean, it's a slight downward slope...if an enemy there is inconvenient, I can't see how an enemy on flat ground would be any less inconvenient.

It's inconvenient because that makes you afraid to go fast on what would otherwise be speedy sections in fear of running into an enemy that just happened to be there. On normal ground, you should be going at a reasonable enough speed to be able to react in time, unlike what you'd most likely be doing on that incline.

That's what makes the enemies dangerous, though. I mean, a robotic ladybug that Sonic can jump over that travels at about 2 MPH ain't much of a threat on its own.

So I don't see this as a problem; it just adds to the challenge factor.

No, enemies that shoot at you or require good timing to get past their attacks is a challenge. Having to have the reflexes to see an enemy and react in time to kill it while going mach 6 is Fake Difficulty.

I don't get bad enemy placement. Wouldn't the enemy WANT to be in the best possible place to attack Sonic? The whole point of the ring system is that it's Sonic's life insurance. At the first playthrough you may get hit by a few cheap enemies, but don't die thanks to the ring system. THe next playthrough you know where the enemy will be so you're prepared to attack. Makes sense to me.

I'd rather play a game where I'm required to actually use my SKILLS to dodge and kill enemies than to just play through a full pseudo-QTE without a prompt telling me what to do.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1