Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

In my opinião, Ares is the coolest Island. It'problably inspires by the planet Mars and think that's cool because Ares is the greek equivalente of Mars. I the ruins look interesting and It hás more environments varuaty than Kronos

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, The Deleter said:

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?posts/1025909/

Hide contents

First island map:

aaKlbfV.png

Fifth island map:

ElQ9FQg.png

Sorry, Between both forums descriptions this isn’t very clear what’s going on to me (apologies if it is to others and I’m just being a complete moron here).

Is it that Either, A. Island 5 is classed as the missing section of Kronos - (for example the game recognises it as an extension which becomes available later at endgame). 

Or, B. Island 5 is a duplicate island (in terms of geography) of Kronos (for example, there are two of Kronos but the Island 5 variation has extra sections) 

…which is it? 

Spoiler

So apparently after beating the last Titan it goes into space to find it's "True form" or something and Sage has to help Super Sonic fight it before it succeeds. Don't know the final form but the titan appears to be a moon or a planet when it's defeated. Sage sacrifices herself though not sure why as I lack context. She refers to Eggman as her dad and earlier Eggman did call her his daughter. Eggette memes be damned.

Oh and also...
south park GIF

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Sonicka said:

Sorry, Between both forums descriptions this isn’t very clear what’s going on to me (apologies if it is to others and I’m just being a complete moron here).

Is it that Either, A. Island 5 is classed as the missing section of Kronos - (for example the game recognises it as an extension which becomes available later at endgame). 

Or, B. Island 5 is a duplicate island (in terms of geography) of Kronos (for example, there are two of Kronos but the Island 5 variation has extra sections) 

…which is it? 

Option B, but moreso just restricting your access to the other half of the island, depending on which island you choose from the menu. It's all one island, but an invisible barrier is blocking your ability to freely travel between one half and the other.

Basically for the fifth island we "return" to Kronos but in a very walled-off format.

• Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, Spooky Mulder said:

I think Frontiers spent a lot of time in very early development as they tried to come up with a formula and mechanics that worked. We know playtesting was happening very, very early (hence the leaks). I suspect Kronos was basically a sandbox for playtesting mechanics and they just kept layering stuff in. The other islands were a bit of afterthought. There's a lot about Frontiers from its reuse of assets to the recycled cyberspace level design that suggests some hasty design decisions were made to get to final polished product. I think its basically a glorified demo for the future of Sonic.

I'm very excited to play it but I'm even more excited to see what the next 3D Sonic game looks like. It'll be interesting to take the lessons from Frontiers development and apply it to a blank slate instead of constantly building off a tech demo.

I think that's the gist of the complaints. People didn't wait 5 years for what feels like a tech demo for something bigger.

Maybe it's a really good tech demo, but tech demos don't usually cost $60. Breath of the Wild had moments that were undercooked, like its narrative or some visual design, but it wasn't SO compromised for taking such a new direction.

Just a lot more waiting to do. And it's probable the next Sonic game will be better and deliver on the promising bits of Frontiers. But again, back to waiting. It's already been 5 years, we've gotta wait 3 more?

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Ah damn it, the pyramid structure is actually on a different island now. The 4th island, the one without cyberspace stages. The fact that it was visible from behind the island in the prerelease footage just means it got physically amputated from what was originally a single map:

2 minutes ago, McGroose said:

Dang, someone found a sneak preview of Sonic 4 episode 3 with those physics 

Sonic 4 Episode Frontiers

• Chuckle 1

8 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Really putting our best foot forward here aren't we?

Would honestly be better if these 2D segments weren't there. Forget replacing them with anything, just gone. Content be damned. What IS there needs more, and no one wanted these back anyways.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, light-gaia said:

In my opinião, Ares is the coolest Island. It'problably inspires by the planet Mars and think that's cool because Ares is the greek equivalente of Mars. I the ruins look interesting and It hás more environments varuaty than Kronos

I agree, visually it looks like the winner. What even sold me on it was seeing that night time image with the cacti glowing in the dark.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

I think that's the gist of the complaints. People didn't wait 5 years for what feels like a tech demo for something bigger.

Maybe it's a really good tech demo, but tech demos don't usually cost $60. Breath of the Wild had moments that were undercooked, like its narrative or some visual design, but it wasn't SO compromised for taking such a new direction.

Just a lot more waiting to do. And it's probable the next Sonic game will be better and deliver on the promising bits of Frontiers. But again, back to waiting. It's already been 5 years, we've gotta wait 3 more?

So what you're saying is to skip this and wait 5 more years? 

6 minutes ago, SonicLegends said:

I agree, visually it looks like the winner. What even sold me on it was seeing that night time image with the cacti glowing in the dark.

Lighting and the day/night cycle is probably the biggest win for the game's visuals. It does a lot in enhancing the mood of each area.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

Lighting and the day/night cycle is probably the biggest win for the game's visuals. It does a lot in enhancing the mood of each area.

Yeah, just that regarding the latter islands I hope that someone does a mod to make one of them snow theme. But also heck if Chaos Island had a snow/lava theme going on that would have been a cool contrast.

20 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

So what you're saying is to skip this and wait 5 more years? 

No. Just that it's an unfortunate situation to be in all together. This project has been clearly communicated thanks to leaks and such that it was tough to make. I don't want to hear any lazy dev rhetoric going on.

It's just that well, they tried their best and their best has promise. Thankfully the parts they let down aren't utter disasters like an 06 or Boom. But these compromises still stink. The product of a restarted dev cycle, and the need for Sonic team to FIGHT for a serious delay from SEGA when such an experimental game should have all the time in the world to be done and more devs allocated to it.

I can't even imagine what this game would be like had it NOT gotten that delay.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

No. Just that it's an unfortunate situation to be in all together. This project has been clearly communicated thanks to leaks and such that it was tough to make. I don't want to hear any lazy dev rhetoric going on.

It's just that well, they tried their best and their best has promise. Thankfully the parts they let down aren't utter disasters like an 06 or Boom. But these compromises still stink. The product of a restarted dev cycle, and the need for Sonic team to FIGHT for a serious delay from SEGA when such an experimental game should have all the time in the world to be done and more devs allocated to it.

I can't even imagine what this game would be like had it NOT gotten that delay.

Right. 

I'm steering clear of this thread in general, but I did accidently see a video on Twitter of Sonic boosting up a piece of geometry and going flying forwards into the air. It actually reminded me a lot of SA1, where you could get ridiculous airtime with the spindash. I had loads of fun as kid skipping portions of the levels and going all over the place. I hope they don't patch the physics and keep it busted. It's fun lol

2 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Really putting our best foot forward here aren't we?

In my opinion, cyberspace physics are worse than Forces. Because it is stiff and slippery, while Forces is only stiff. In Frontiers, some pretty basic jumps can be difficult because of how weirdly Sonic controls in the air. Before I played the game, I thought everyone that was playing frontiers demo in the events sucked at the game because they were missing all jumps. But I did the same thing.

I feel sad about Frontiers now. And not because it's a bad game. I think it's a good game, but they could be more honest about it in the marketing campaign. Why did they have to say there were 5 "massive islands"? I'm pretty sure the game would be a success anyway. Now, a lot of people will be disappointed

4 hours ago, The Deleter said:

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?posts/1025909/

Reveal hidden contents

First island map:

aaKlbfV.png

Fifth island map:

ElQ9FQg.png

Thank you! Oh god, I'm sad they lied to us... Again 😢

• Thumbs Up 1

I hear that the game is around 15 hours? Didn't they say it was longer than that or am I misremembering 

Just now, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I hear that the game is around 15 hours? Didn't they say it was longer than that or am I misremembering 

They said it would take about 30h to finish. And, to be honest, that is likely true. I took about 5h to 6h on each island (I''ve just finished Ares Island). A lot of the content is optional, so it's possible to finish the islands faster, but if you keep exploring and taking your time without rushing, you can easily spend more time.

Maybe the last two islands are smaller, but I haven't finished the game yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ares Island feels a lot better to run around than Kronos did. Kronos was a lot more wide open and Ares is more twisting and winding in its pathways, feels like you have to get a pretty good grasp of the island to 100% it. I also like how much more spread out the emeralds and the Cyberspace portals are, feels more like a scavenger hunt like this.

• Thumbs Up 2

Recycling content is pretty common with open-world games. Even Zelda Breath of the Wild recycle a lot of content, shrines and bosses. Final Fantasy XV is another example. Not to mention Ubisoft games. The problem with Frontiers is that the marketing was misleading. They marketed the game in a way that made people believe we were getting more biomes in the other two remaining islands.

• Thumbs Up 1

FYI for you characterphiles here, the animations are on point. More expression in this game than the last decade combined.

• Thumbs Up 4

33 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

For the lowest common denominator, it's probably longer. For us hardcore, it's probably around there.