Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

4 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

Since the talk about reused layouts is going on, Dreed posted another small clip of a new cyberspace level, this time 1-7

Reveal hidden contents

I wonder if anyone here can figure out this level layout, cuz I did and it...certainly changes some things.

This is OG Dreamcast City Escape, right? Still not the way to go about this IMO but I think they would have won more people over if they had focused on older levels instead. I think @Shaddy Zaphod straight up said as much.

12 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

Since the talk about reused layouts is going on, Dreed posted another small clip of a new cyberspace level, this time 1-7

Hide contents

I wonder if anyone here can figure out this level layout, cuz I did and it...certainly changes some things.

I don't recognize it

10 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

Hide contents

Sa2 

Lol

13 minutes ago, Wraith said:

This is OG Dreamcast City Escape, right? Still not the way to go about this IMO but I think they would have won more people over if they had focused on older levels instead. I think @Shaddy Zaphod straight up said as much.

So, yet another case of terrible marketing which hasn't given this game the best impression to those who haven't gotten to play it.

If it weren't with a company like SEGA, I'd be baffled as to how they could consistently screw up showcasing arguably one of their more promising games in a while, but here we are.

Taking level designs from potentially every 3D game is a much more exciting prospect than just taking level designs from the boost games. Still rather lame that these designs are not original (besides what we've seen of the other two city levels, I believe), but taking designs from the likes of the Adventure games and having them be put into a boost setting means you at least are able to approach them somewhat differently. It also leaves a greater pool of level designs to pick from, which could lead to some interesting stages depending on how they make them. This elevates my take on Cyberspace levels to "yeah sure" to "this could potentially be pretty cool".

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder if Tails' absence from this demo possibly hints at an "Episode Tails DLC"?

A Tails fan can dream right?

The reuse of layouts is weird but at least everything looks a bit more interesting than Forces. Doesn't seem to be a lot of alternate diverging paths...pretty much one or two hallways...but at least within the hallways it actually matters where you position Sonic. Forces just had rows of boosters, spikes, and enemies across the entire lane almost every time.

This is very arcade-y which is fine I guess given what it is within the game. It's not a total turn off.

The marketing for this game is crazy imagine if the first cyberspace level we saw in depth was this city escape level. People may have reacted to that positively The idea of running through an OG adventure level could have appealed to a lot of fans. People would have been hyped for that. The whole reusing assets argument would have largely have been shelved because of how different a boost game would play in the same level. 

Instead now you've got half the fan base acting like piranhas wondering if any of the cyberspace content is going to be original at all. Come on man Where's the media manager this isn't rocket science

Honestly speaking, if they showed that the level that looks the most new had reused layouts from another game, I'd probably be more mad than I already am at the Cyberspace levels lol. It's cool to see it extend beyond "boost games" but...If I wanted to play City Escape, I'd buy SA2 on Steam and install a Modern Sonic skin mod.

And I don't even like SA2 that much as is.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I wonder if Tails' absence from this demo possibly hints at an "Episode Tails DLC"?

Man, to be honest, you're reading way too deep into the matters involving Tails.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

The reuse of layouts is weird but at least everything looks a bit more interesting than Forces. Doesn't seem to be a lot of alternate diverging paths...pretty much one or two hallways...but at least within the hallways it actually matters where you position Sonic. Forces just had rows of boosters, spikes, and enemies across the entire lane almost every time.

This is very arcade-y which is fine I guess given what it is within the game. It's not a total turn off.

They probably want cyberspace levels to be more about optimal and precise play rather than something that the player has to explore to find the quickest pathways. I think the mindset with them is that, since the open zone already fulfills the "exploration" aspect, they want cyberspace levels to be focused on precise, linear platforming. 

It's not really a design ethos I agree with, but that's the only way I can begin to rationalize it. I just hope that they're difficult and replayable enough to compensate.

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Man, to be honest, you're reading way too deep into the matters involving Tails.

Think about it. Shadow was absent for most of Forces because he was having his own adventure in “Episode Shadow”. I wonder if this is a similar deal for Tails here? 

37 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Is that city escape?

Just now, KHCast said:

Sonic 06 level design when? 

That doesn't make a lick of sense with what's been shown so far.

Someone help me wrap my head my this. 

Why did Sonic Team choose to go to the effort of completely rebuilding levels from a 20 year old game instead of making new levels? Why is that their direction for the evolution of the series? 

• Thumbs Up 9

1 minute ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Think about it. Shadow was absent for most of Forces because he was having his own adventure in “Episode Shadow”. I wonder if this is a similar deal for Tails here? 

You know what? There is nothing wrong with you hoping for that. Maybe it will be a thing. Carry on.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Just now, MGA_Gamer said:

Unfortunately, I don't expect them to make Tails playable. They had Shadow in Sonic Forces because it's a reskin of Sonic. Tails has a unique gameplay style (or should have it).

They haven't had any other characters playable for 15 years now, and I wish they would but I won't hope for it. I wouldn't be content with DLC, make it a core part of the game, please.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Did you see the city level footage above?

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Why did Sonic Team choose to go to the effort of completely rebuilding levels from a 20 year old game instead of making new levels? Why is that their direction for the evolution of the series? 

My guess is story reasons. But I’m trying to not jump to any particular conclusions. Also, I think the open zone concept is probably what we can expect for the series future. It’s an open zone game, not a boost game.

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Because the level designers were busy with the open zone.

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Sonic 06 level design when? 

Gotta wonder how that would work. They'd have to be very abridged versions of those levels since 06 relied on so many gimmicks and alternate characters to bring its levels together. Very few levels in that game have you playing as just Sonic with no strings attached.

2 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Did you see the city level footage above?

Yeah, that isn't Sonic 06 level design. Then we'd be talking about how this is Adventure 1 level design,  which I know would cause conniptions.

2 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Tails isn't "absent" from this game. He was with Sonic and Amy at the start and by every indication he'll have been captured and will later be freed just like Amy.

11 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

We've seen level design ripped from SA2, Unleashed, and Generations so an '06 level ripoff is entirely plausible.

• Thumbs Up 2