Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

14 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Someone help me wrap my head my this. 

Why did Sonic Team choose to go to the effort of completely rebuilding levels from a 20 year old game instead of making new levels? Why is that their direction for the evolution of the series? 

Because this isn't the part of the game that's supposed to be evolution of the series. 

14 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Why did Sonic Team choose to go to the effort of completely rebuilding levels from a 20 year old game instead of making new levels? Why is that their direction for the evolution of the series? 

They would have actually had to put in some effort to go this far. 

Pretty much confirms that all this is intentional as far as I'm concerned. Somewhere early in dev, they made the decision to heavily derive level layout from previous games. Saves time and patches the directors biggest weakness by taking him out of the equation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Tbh, I don't know how much you can really blame the game's marketing for this, when outside of the GHZ 2D section & a snippet of the new city stage, they've never officially shown off much of the cyberspace levels.

The only reason we know ANYTHING about these stages is because of people recording footage of demo gameplay & like, maybe you can blame the marketing team for not putting out official footage more often, but this really doesn't seem like something you can blame them for.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Tails isn't "absent" from this game. He was with Sonic and Amy at the start and by every indication he'll have been captured and will later be freed just like Amy.

Shadow wasn't exactly "absent" from Forces either. That didn't stop him from getting his own DLC.

Maybe Tails also broke free from cyberspace, then he had his own little adventure for a while before reuniting with Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, D.H said:

Tbh, I don't know how much you can really blame the game's marketing for this, when outside of the GHZ 2D section & a snippet of the new city stage, they've never officially shown off much of the cyberspace levels.

The only reason we know ANYTHING about these stages is because of people recording footage of demo gameplay & like, maybe you can blame the marketing team for not putting out official footage more often, but this really doesn't seem like something you can blame them for.

I'm going to blame the marketing team because this is just another example of the fans and general public learning more about SEGA's own game from the mouths and footage from everyone but SEGA themselves.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

They would have actually had to put in some effort to go this far. 

Pretty much confirms that all this is intentional as far as I'm concerned. Somewhere early in dev, they made the decision to heavily derive level layout from previous games. Saves time and patches the directors biggest weakness by taking him out of the equation. 

Yeah. That's exactly it. From a developmental point of view, they had to recreate SA2's City Escape from scratch here.

If I can't call Sonic Team and SEGA lazy, can I at least call them completely fucking clueless and wilfully tone deaf? We've been criticising rehashed and recycled game design since 2009, but they won't stop. 

• Thumbs Up 5

24 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Deciding how a level should be laid out takes time, so technically they are still saving resources with this even if it's not literally the copy paste job we thought it was.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Yeah. That's exactly it. From a developmental point of view, they had to recreate SA2's City Escape from scratch here.

You're right actually, they most definitely did 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, D.H said:

Someone would have had to green light the demo and it does not require a good deal of insight to understand what would happen when a stage that looked and played exactly like GHZ generations hit the web. 

Someone somewhere should have told the guy coding the demo to restrict access to that level and replace it with something else. I can absolutely blame marketing for overlooking what these first few demo levels would do to the cyberspace reputation. That's a narrative you can control by cherry picking the content you want to give demo players access too. 

Instead they just trotted this out there to be a train wreak. Self inflicted wounds that are easily avoided. 

It might be different if this wasn't the first or second offence, but the marketing team is tripping over their toes at every turn. Its hard to watch. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Announcing it as "new Cyber Space feature featuring callback levels to the past 30 years of Sonic!", would've made it clear people shouldn't be expecting original stages. 

There are lots of ways to give context to things before we find out unofficially that they aren't doing.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Sega DogTagz said:

Someone would have had to green light the demo and it does not require a good deal of insight to understand what would happen when a stage that looked and played exactly like GHZ generations hit the web. 

Someone somewhere should have told the guy coding the demo to restrict access to that level and replace it with something else. I can absolutely blame marketing for overlooking what these first few demo levels would do to the cyberspace reputation. That's a narrative you can control by cherry picking the content you want to give demo players access too. 

Instead they just trotted this out there to be a train wreak. Self inflicted wounds that are easily avoided. 

It might be different if this wasn't the first or second offence, but the marketing team is tripping over their toes at every turn. Its hard to watch. 

This would an odd idea. Outside the die hard Sonic community, most people are okay with Green Hills. No one at the event even seems to care.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Yeah, that isn't Sonic 06 level design. Then we'd be talking about how this is Adventure 1 level design,  which I know would cause conniptions.

I feel like you’re purposely overcomplicating this 

21 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

so an '06 level

He said 06 level design, which implies a layout akin to that of 06 in how the levels are constructed, which doesn't match with what's been seen.

11 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

You're right actually, they most definitely did 

Eh, I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Either they've hid this one well, or it's really just gonna be City Escape in name only, and that's if they even name it that.

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

That is a good point, but tbh, I imagine they figured that most people don't really care about the re-use of old stages like Green Hill or Speed Highway.

And it's less that it plays like Generations GHZ, as much as it is Windmill Isle being given a GHZ coat of paint, which I gotta be honest, I don't know if that's something the people who played the game even caught onto, lmao

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

He said 06 level design, which implies a layout akin to that of 06, which doesn't match with what's been seen.

We've seen level design from SA2. We've seen level design from Unleashed. We've seen level design from Generations. Why is it unreasonable to expect level design from 06.

13 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Deciding how a level should be laid out takes time, so technically they are still saving resources with this even if it's not literally the copy paste job we thought it was.

I mean, yes that's true. The planning stages are largely getting bypassed here. But is it really worth it? Like, they actually want their game to be this unoriginal? I'm almost surprised that Sonic Team themselves aren't as sick of nostalgia baiting as we are. 

Just now, Diogenes said:

We've seen level design from SA2

Not really. From people's assessment, the levels function more like those from the boost games. If you're referring to aesthetic, then that's a different thing.

5 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Either they've hid this one well, or it's really just gonna be City Escape in name only, and that's if they even name it that.

You’re taking this very literally. The stage is using level design from SA2 City Escape, that’s why people are saying it’s essentially city escape 

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

We've seen level design from SA2. We've seen level design from Unleashed. We've seen level design from Generations. Why is it unreasonable to expect level design from 06.

Do you have to ask? 

Just now, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Not really. From people's assessment, the levels function more like those from the boost games. If you're referring to aesthetic, then that's a different thing.

I'm not talking about "function" or aesthetics. I'm talking about the level design, that's why I said level design. We're looking at a straight up basically unaltered chunk of level from SA2.

Just now, Razule said:

Do you have to ask? 

Tbf it was “unreasonable” pre Gens leaks, for people to suggest an 06 Stage be repped. And yet…

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

You’re taking this very literally. The stage is using level design from SA2 City Escape, that’s why people are saying it’s essentially city escape 

This really is making no sense into why you raise presumptions of 06 level design. Level design is going into the structure of the levels and whatnot. The insistence has been that these levels function more like boost levels. Otherwise, you'd be insinuating that this level functions like a level from Adventure 2.

And again, if you're considering 06 level design, you might as well be asking for Adventure 1 level design since that's what 06 was fashioned after.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

This really is making no sense into why you raise presumptions of 06 level design.

I was making a sarcastic comment based on the situation of the levels reusing level design, that you took seriously as you tend to do.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

I'm not talking about "function" or aesthetics. I'm talking about the level design, that's why I said level design. We're looking at a straight up basically unaltered chunk of level from SA2.

Well, if that is how you see things, then I suppose you're free to view them as such.

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

I was making a sarcastic comment based on the situation of the levels reusing level design, that you took seriously as you tend to do.

Ah, you weren't clear with the sarcasm, especially given how dramatic people have been taking the turn of events lately.

Nevertheless, you being sarcastic does help the situation make more sense, so fair game.