Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

Or the playable build had to cool it a bit with the draw distances. That first wave of screenshots looked a lot nicer than what we've seen since. Perhaps reality hit.

I don't think it's a matter of draw distance; the pyramid has a series of stone arches leading up to it, and you can see the arches in both versions. If those are still being rendered, I'd think the much larger structure would be too.

48 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

Didn’t they say that structures, rails and general objects would populate and add further density to the open zone island locations the more you complete certain elements of the game? EG. bosses / puzzles / cyberspace.

Bowsers Fury does this constantly as you progress through the game. There could just be a similar thing going here. 

Rails and gameplay objects, yes. The two variations of overworld footage from the reveal showcased them being removed, with the coins and timer hourglass as a difference between the two. Not only does the pyramid show up in both though, but the way the pyramid is set up in the screenshots we see of it, it feels very much like a natural part of the environment, like the other ruins, rather than something that would just pop up in the overworld. On top of that, the videos and screenshots that do include it are the ones that have all these gameplay objects and enemies removed, so if it was a part of that category it would be missing in those videos, but show up in the recent gameplay that has all of these objects activated. Instead it's the other way around.

45 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Or the playable build had to cool it a bit with the draw distances. That first wave of screenshots looked a lot nicer than what we've seen since. Perhaps reality hit.

Maybe, but it would be odd considering the player is so close to where it should be, yet can still see structures much further away on the other side of the island, namely the second tower through the fog.

jtdKK7i.png

M121Lcw.png

On top of that, if the pyramid isn't on top of the mountain, but much further behind it, leading to it being culled... The island straight up ends not much further past the geography we can see.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxrAdBUKvDZK7-gMiBcbBU1pbBWBbx8Yce

8 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I don't think it's a matter of draw distance; the pyramid has a series of stone arches leading up to it, and you can see the arches in both versions. If those are still being rendered, I'd think the much larger structure would be too.

That's just it though lol, those arches can't be the same as the arches leading up to the structure. Not only are they fully intact, while the arches leading to the pyramid are individually broken in unique ways that would be easy to identify, but they're travelling uphill towards that general direction we're assuming the pyramid should be, while the arches leading to the pyramid in the screenshots are travelling downhill

1j1pyb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

We got a first look at...something via a leak.

FXHDaFTX0AEKYy-?format=jpg&name=orig

I have no clue wtf these things are, but I know that I have a sudden urge to yeet them into a wall Chao style.

• Chuckle 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

I wonder if you can raise them, since one has a sprout and the other has a bigger leaf?

3 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

We got a first look at...something via a leak.

FXHDaFTX0AEKYy-?format=jpg&name=orig

I have no clue wtf these things are, but I know that I have a sudden urge to yeet them into a wall Chao style.

The people who played the game stated there were little stone critters that were pretty much the koroks from BotW, down to them having a collectible you needed to search a certain number of it through the open zone like korok seeds. We've seen some of them in some of the gameplay but this is the clearest look at their designs so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

the leak files use whatever the Japanese myth named that inspired them was, and I don't remember if "kodama" was the species as a whole or specifically the NPC ones you use to upgrade Sonic.

They've been referred to as "Koco" in the previews and press releases so far:

Starfall Islands

The first island Sonic explores is Kronos Island. Its terrain and climate see frequent rain, large waterfalls, lush forests, mountains and floating towers in the air. The ruins scattered around the island appear to be the homes of ancient inhabitants—the Koco.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/sonic-frontiers-details-cyber-space-areas-titan-boss-characters-features-more

Also the Sonic model has posable spikes? That's really cool actually

Kodama are forest spirits in Shinto culture so that fits the description.

I wouldn't expect them to be called that in-game (ties things down too much to stuff unrelated to Sonic mythos) so "Koco" works but internally it stands to reason that they'd have such a codename.

• Thumbs Up 2

Since Kronos Island is grass and rock type of island, and the Koco look like Rock and grass Chao-like creatures, I am guessing there will be a water island with Chao which are supposed to be water based creatures shaped like drops. And we know about about a desert island... with sand creatures? See the pattern?

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Don't do this to yourselves, you're only setting yourselves up for disappointment and pain.

This is an unacceptable level of gray cloud.

• Fist Bump 1

5 minutes ago, SolidSurgeTT said:

This is an unacceptable level of gray cloud.

Lol wut. That post was completely reasonable I dunno what you're going on about.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's leaning too hard on "you KNOW this is going to end badly so just quit while you're ahead."

Less of a "you know this is going to end badly" and more of a  "don't get your hopes up for features that have been absent from the series for decades making a return, this is coming from somebody who stupidly hoped Frontiers would have ball physics in it, learn from my mistake".

• Thumbs Up 9

21 minutes ago, SolidSurgeTT said:

It's leaning too hard on "you KNOW this is going to end badly so just quit while you're ahead."

We're talking about a feature that has been absent from the main games since 2001 (more than 20 years!). It's probably for the better that we shouldn't expect something that has been missing for so long only to be dissapointed again after a bunch of times.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

I'm not hoping for anything... just speculating.

it would be a nice parallel with the different flower types per each area of Little Planet :) :)    Sonic games have always been about creative variations between environments; either way it will be fun to find out!!

On 7/8/2022 at 2:04 PM, SolidSurgeTT said:

Kodama are forest spirits in Shinto culture so that fits the description.

I wouldn't expect them to be called that in-game (ties things down too much to stuff unrelated to Sonic mythos) so "Koco" works but internally it stands to reason that they'd have such a codename.

Aren't the Zeti literally just oni in the Japanese scripts, though?  Never mind, apparently Iizuka just wanted them to be!  (I think this idea that they were literally oni in the Japanese script might've been misinformation swimming about pre-release, as I'm sure I remember it being discussed as fact at one point.  Definitely a reminder for me in future to do the fact-checking first.) Still, on that principle, while it appears to be established that the Kodama are Koco in the English script then I wouldn't rule out them just being Kodama in the Japanese version.

Chao being in the game seems like a bit of a pipe dream; I think if they'd wanted to use Chao, they'd have just used Chao throughout rather than varying per region.  Best just to cross fingers for interesting regional variations of the Koco, likely confined just to what's growing out of their heads.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Salamander said:

Aren't the Zeti literally just oni in the Japanese scripts, though?  Never mind, apparently Iizuka just wanted them to be!  (I think this idea that they were literally oni in the Japanese script might've been misinformation swimming about pre-release, as I'm sure I remember it being discussed as fact at one point.  Definitely a reminder for me in future to do the fact-checking first.) Still, on that principle, while it appears to be established that the Kodama are Koco in the English script then I wouldn't rule out them just being Kodama in the Japanese version.

Chao being in the game seems like a bit of a pipe dream; I think if they'd wanted to use Chao, they'd have just used Chao throughout rather than varying per region.  Best just to cross fingers for interesting regional variations of the Koco, likely confined just to what's growing out of their heads.

See, now that's not being a gray cloud. Thank you.

That recent rapid fire interview with Iizuka confirmed there is no Chao Garden, glad to know that we can now immediately disqualify nearly half the leaks that came out in the past two-three months since a bunch of them mentioned a Chao Garden lol 

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, McGroose said:

That recent rapid fire interview with Iizuka confirmed there is no Chao Garden, glad to know that we can now immediately disqualify nearly half the leaks that came out in the past two-three months since a bunch of them mentioned a Chao Garden lol 

There's also no Classic Sonic either. I don't think there were any leaks that mentioned him though.

The fact that we needed confirmation...meh, I'm just glad that there won't be two Sonics. Horrifying thought. 

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Buddy, I don't enjoy the cynicism surrounding new Sonic games any more than you, but tone-policing people's behavior only to then patronize someone else when they (almost certainly incidentally) act in a way that you're more comfortable with is not it.

You know, thank you for your input. I definitely see what you're saying.

However, in light of this, I have decided to double down instead of gracefully accept that I may have stepped over the line. So to that end:

I DO WHAT I WANT

I hope you understand. Arigato.