Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

19 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

By now 7 cyberspace stages have been found from the demo, but with a twist: they're all located in the areas that we have seen already. Apparently in the demo you can't progress past the "big hill", which I would assume means the mountain itself. Dreed also mentions a giant throne/cyberspace portal being visible.

A bigger landmark for a cyberspace stage might mean some "main" acts might be on the table? Maybe?

He also posted the full list, which is notably missing any mentions of Rooftop Run that Game Informer mentioned from their extended time with the game.

A few outlets have mentioned a level modeled after Rooftop Run being on the island. Maybe that's past the point available in the demo? The daytime city level not being accessible in the demo is curious too. Makes me wonder just how many of these levels we're really gonna get.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, A super No.1 washedupgamer said:

So I had this theory. Hear me out for a sec. So we got green hill, chem plant, sky sanctuary, and city escape city on the first island right? What do two of these levels have in common? Green hill and city escape are 1st stages. 

First, yeah yeah, asset reuse sucks blah blah, Sega is not competent to do it right there should be new levels, and I agree Let's get that out of the way. 

The desert area is the next world right? What if we, either get seaside hill or crisis city in the next area, or they're just pulling levels from games that came after generations but with level design from older games but the aesthetic fits in with the area. For example: a cyberspace stage that looks like desert ruins from lost world, or that pyramid stage from forces?

If the next island is a snow area, what if we get: Cool edge or frozen factory? 

I don't know how to explain chemical plant or sky sanctuary though. 

Just a theory I thought about.

Green Hill, Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary? It sounds like it's following the levels in Sonic Generations:

• Green Hill
  • Chemical Plant
  • Sky Sanctuary
  • Speed Highway
  • City Escape
  • Seaside hill
  • Crisis City
  • Rooftop Run
  • Planet Wisp

That's the list, if I remember correctly.

I for the life of me cannot understand how literally everything that comes out about this game just hypes the fuck out of him lol. Like I know he’s the face of sonic influencers at this point, but, wish I had that kinda optimism and excitement for sonic no matter what lol

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

IT'S ACTUALLY VERY EASY TO EXAGGERATE HOW EXCITED YOU ARE ABOUT SOMETHING IF YOU USE ALL CAPS!!!

AAAAAA I LOVE SONIC SO MUCH AAAAAA IT'S GONNA BE FUCKING LIT YOOOOO I LOVE SEEING THINGS I RECOGNIZE

Spoiler

My expression is neutral in real life.

I thought about doing that one time just to be a troll lol. It's not in me to do that.

I know people joke about him being a secret PR game industry hype guy, but man sometimes it really gets me thinkin sometimes with how many industry people and official Twitter accounts for these games message him and send him stuff lol…then again he is a MASSIVE sonic fan and he’s very positive thinking/a glass half full type (he literally had content stolen from him and posted on Tik Tok, and he was like “whatever as long as people are smiling” about it) so I can’t blame him lol. I can see the draw to him, even if I personally could never be that kinda person, just in love with the AAA industry 

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

This is OG Dreamcast City Escape, right? Still not the way to go about this IMO but I think they would have won more people over if they had focused on older levels instead. I think @Shaddy Zaphod straight up said as much.

Well, what I said was that I thought it would make sense if, when reusing level assets and aesthetics, they stole stuff from games other than just the ones we've seen. That was at a time where I had no idea a big chunk of them would just be the same designs we've seen before.

Honestly I have no clue what's going on, everything we've seen about these things has sent me for a loop. I guess if they really are pushing a hundred or more of the fucking things, then I get it??? But we're still seeing that exactly one level is not reused from previous designs (or at least, not any that people can find), and this is all in a city aesthetic that still really looks nothing like any previous city stage, and now we're hearing that there's apparently a giant stage gate?

I love how this game is completely incomprehensible even after so much has come out about it.

I don't know if anyone has already posted this here.

If each Island has 30 cyberspace levels, we might be getting 150 levels in total. What is insane. Specially if we consider that most recent Sonic games have about 30 stages. If that's the case, the reusage of assets and layouts makes sense.

I think it won't be quite that many, but it does explain things for there to just be a shitload of them. My thoughts on whether that's a good idea aside, it also explains why they're just numbered instead of named. Coming up with a hundred individual stage titles for places as small as these would be a pain! No wonder Breath of the Wild just made anagrams of their dev names.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, light-gaia said:

If that's the case, the reusage of assets and layouts makes sense.

It makes sense all right...because they bit off more than they could chew again.

For something that's supposedly optional and can be ignored entirely, it astonishes me that, if this is true, that they decided to make so many of these stages to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

It makes sense all right...because they bit off more than they could chew again.

For something that's supposedly optional and can be ignored entirely, it astonishes me that, if this is true, that they decided to make so many of these stages to begin with.

They really wanted to wear the Zelda inspiration on their sleeve.

• Thumbs Up 3

Game Informer also said that there was Metropolis, and it had a red tint, right? The only metropolis-esque stage with a red fog in the background is Chemical Plant, so I would take the Game Informer stuff with a grain of salt.

The giant throne is also likely just a normal stage access, every stage is accessed through a giant throne. If it was bigger than usual they would have stated it more clearly.

The thing that gets me is how the stages don't have much hazards, even ones from the original layout they're basing them on. There's enemies sure but that's it.

Granted, this is all from the very beginning of the game, I'm sure there'll be a difficulty curve to some extent (to give them credit, the 2D city level has a couple spikes to jump over and that one spring that sends you back*) and there's definitely a possibility there are longer levels that might be more involved. But that 2D Green Hill level copying parts of GHZ 2 from Gens (which just to remind everyone was also at the beginning of the game) but replacing a very simple obstacle, a wall to slide under, with...a box to jump over...even though the slide is in fact in this video game...has me a little worried, I guess?

*Really funny thing about this is in both runs of that levels I've seen the player has briefly seemed to think this indicates you're supposed to go back. Of course you'd think that though because 99% of the time springs send you where you want to go...come to think of it this kind of thing is probably what inspired the false Eggman springs in Unleashed.

5 minutes ago, Iko said:

The giant throne is also likely just a normal stage access, every stage is accessed through a giant throne. If it was bigger than usual they would have stated it more clearly.

• Thumbs Up 1

If they are reusing a Sonic Adventure 2 layout, there's a chance they might be reusing other 3D games layouts as well. Even though this is not better than fully original stages, it would be amazing to have stages from games like Heroes, Shadow, or even Secret Rings. Imagine Night Palace remade. I won't get my hopes up because this is too good to be true, but I'm not gonna lie that I smiled when I saw the Sonic Adventure 2 layout...

7 minutes ago, Iko said:

Game Informer also said that there was Metropolis, and it had a red tint, right? The only metropolis-esque stage with a red fog in the background is Chemical Plant, so I would take the Game Informer stuff with a grain of salt.

Game Informer mentioned Chemical Plant, so it's likely they know the difference between a Chemical Plant and a "Metropolis" zone

21 minutes ago, Celestia said:

The thing that gets me is how the stages don't have much hazards, even ones from the original layout they're basing them on. There's enemies sure but that's it.

Granted, this is all from the very beginning of the game, I'm sure there'll be a difficulty curve to some extent (to give them credit, the 2D city level has a couple spikes to jump over and that one spring that sends you back*) and there's definitely a possibility there are longer levels that might be more involved. But that 2D Green Hill level copying parts of GHZ 2 from Gens (which just to remind everyone was also at the beginning of the game) but replacing a very simple obstacle, a wall to slide under, with...a box to jump over...even though the slide is in fact in this video game...has me a little worried, I guess?

*Really funny thing about this is in both runs of that levels I've seen the player has briefly seemed to think this indicates you're supposed to go back. Of course you'd think that though because 99% of the time springs send you where you want to go...come to think of it this kind of thing is probably what inspired the false Eggman springs in Unleashed.

The Sky Sanctuary level has some spikes here and there

For now I'm assuming GameInformer was referring to the city zone. There could be a sunrise/set one that we haven't seen yet?

2 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

The Sky Sanctuary level some spikes here and there

True! I was just thinking of that GHZ comparison as well as the part in Chemical Plant Modern where you run up a lope and it turns into a quickstep section with spikes to avoid, here it's a thin path with nothing in your way instead. Seems like overkill if it was a difficulty thing imo.

10 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Ok, now it makes sense, thank you.

7 minutes ago, light-gaia said:

Game Informer mentioned Chemical Plant, so it's likely they know the difference between a Chemical Plant and a "Metropolis" zone

They were asked if it was more like Sonic 2's Metropolis or Sonic Forces' Metropolis, and they said that didn't remember, the only thing they remembered was that it had a red tint. So it's totally possible that they don't know the difference and just messed up.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder if the big thrones are original level designs? I highly doubt they wouldn't have a handful of stages that are completely original and about 2-3 minutes long

I think the boss battle happen in the open-zones, not cyberspace. I could be wrong, though, maybe there are some cyberspace bosses

My guess is either a really big level or a major boss battle, given its size you might need more of those gears to access it, but maybe the reward for completing whatever's in it is bigger?

For some context for the upcoming tweets I'm gonna link, this user previously leaked that there was gonna be a story trailer this month and the release date too. So take these with some salt.

Spoiler

• Unamused 1