Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

It could easily be bosses yeah, there's an advantage in being able to build specific arenas for them instead of having to worry about fitting every boss into the overworld. Larger levels seems a bit more likely to me though--to bring in the BOTW comparisons it would make sense if there was an equivalent to the Divine Beasts, with what we've seen so far being the shrines (lol).

Another thought: the cyberspace levels are noted to be optional to some degree. Does that apply to the larger entrances too or, regardless of what they lead to, maybe they're a special case that's required for progression? If they are something that's a bigger deal than the small ones, I wouldn't be surprised if the devs didn't want you skipping them compared to the bite-sized levels that atm seem to mostly reuse old level design.

22 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

For some context for the upcoming tweets I'm gonna link, this user previously leaked that there was gonna be a story trailer this month and the release date too. So take these with some salt.

Hide contents

Taking this with a huge grain of salt given how easy it is to fake stuff like this, but interesting nevertheless. I'm...extremely skeptical of

Spoiler

a Sonic Boom skin in 2022, unless there's a ton of costumes in this game? I guess it's possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, that leaker's kind of a spitballer. Makes all sorts of claims so that something has to stick eventually. Take it with a truck load of salt.

For that boss leak, even I could have predicted that. Sega's loved that style of boss fight since Sonic Colors. I totally believe that.

Honestly none of these leaks seem really out of this world except for 

Spoiler

Forces levels coming back. They're really just reusing any modern asset they can get. I at least hope it's Metropolis cause it looks kinda nice, despite having no color like the Heroes version of Metropolis did. idgaf about the others.

It doesn't make sense for there to be a Boom or Movie "skin" if we're also getting normal glove and shoe cosmetics ala Forces or Colors Ultimate.

But the thing is, I think the real discredit to the leaker is that they're 100% set up the same way as fake leakers like "waddle dee knows", and throw out completely random unconfirmed things like a Lost World port while also proclaiming that they'll drop news upon reaching follower counts. I smell a scam.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing from Sonic Boom even made it to Forces: Speed Battle.. we're not seeing anything from that brand again. Could've said "movie Sonic" and it'd be more believable, but it almost makes it more credible that they chose the less likely option. Or maybe that's part of the trick. Hm. 

With Iizuka recently saying that Sonic Team apparently has a distaste for the Boom designs, it'd be pretty funny if Sonic's Boom design somehow just making it in anyway

• Thumbs Up 1

The only new notable thing we ever got from Sonic Boom in recent years was Vector being added to Sonic Dash 2 for some bizarre reason in 2021, but other than that I don't see why they would add Boom Sonic as a skin in the game as they've been neglecting the sub-series for a good while now.

Also yeah keep in mind the skins in the game might just be shoe and glove cosmetics like in Colors Ultimate from what we've seen with the Korone promotional thing.

If the Boom costume thing actually happened, it'd give me a bit of hope that maybe my girl Sticks could finally return (but I ain't gettin' my hopes up obviously).

2 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

For some context for the upcoming tweets I'm gonna link, this user previously leaked that there was gonna be a story trailer this month and the release date too. So take these with some salt.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

There was a rumor that mentioned some movie skins for the characters. It was the same rumor that also mentioned Sonic 5, and got some things right, still not debunked at the moment, but not confirmed either, because most of the things that got right were either extremely vague or very easy to guess. That rumor was the only one (to my knownledge) to mention equippable shoes and gloves, and that thing turned out to be real (but it could have easily been a guess since you can do the same in Colors Ultimate); the only things about Frontiers that come from that rumor and lack confirmation yet are playable Shadow and the movie skins, indeed.

If there are different designs for Sonic as skins, then there's a chance that both rumors are true, which would automatically mean that Shadow will be playable in some form... maybe as one of the skins? It would be weird but I don't exclude that.

On the other hand, this Twitter profile is suspicious. The user likes the word "Scoop" so much, though there was another person who liked to use that word a lot when revealing a "leak" (someone who is very unreliable and only begs for attention and popularity). I've been following gaming leaks for years, and never heard anyone say "scoop" when they leaked stuff, excluding these two persons. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it still doesn't look good for the credibility of those claims. Discussion about that person is not allowed here so I won't continue.

Regardless, if it's true that Sonic has a bunch of skins, it would be nice to have a Classic Sonic skin and maybe even the rabbit Sonic from that concept art.

I don't think it should be in a spoiler tag because we're already in the spoiler thread, but still...

18 hours ago, Wraith said:

Around 300 developers worked on it by the end.

Does that include outsourcing to other dev teams like Monolith Soft? 

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Bit more of Not City Escape, with some Real Cool Physics about 18 seconds in:

Aside from that glitchfest that was the sliding up the road, what on earth was this guy doing with the mess of boosting, sliding, stomping, etc? 

Gotta admit the aesthetic of the level is charming in its own way. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The changes to the time of day does a good job imparting a different atmosphere than normal, yeah. The stage itself seems fun to play, although you wouldn't know it with how this guy was playing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

About that 2D Green Hill footage with Classic style springs. It's not just an aesthetic. You cannot Homing Attack the springs in these stages at all. 

15 minutes ago, PSI Wind said:

About that 2D Green Hill footage with Classic style springs. It's not just an aesthetic. You cannot Homing Attack the springs in these stages at all. 

That's an interesting way to distinguish the level in terms of flow, but I feel like I'm probably gonna be upset when I play through it since my muscle memory won't appreciate that.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Bit more of Not City Escape, with some Real Cool Physics about 18 seconds in:

Yeah that jank doesn't look good. Good players who know the system will be able to get around it but if you go outside the bounds of the game, it's not pretty. The level looks more engaging than the others we've seen so far though. Obviously, this is due to city escape being a good level but still.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the first time we've seen jank quite like this.... Maybe it's the result of the devs building their own recreation of a non boost level and cramming a round peg into a square hole? 

Something to keep an eye on moving forward. Will be interesting to see.

Running up a quarter pipe in a Sonic game shouldn't be complicated, regardless of gameplay style or level design or whatever. The most generous explanation I can think of is that this is just an animation bug; Sonic's able to casually stroll up walls by design, but he just got stuck in his idle animation for some reason. Otherwise I'd guess it's the typical boost game invisible assistance kicking in strangely, and if not that there's something really fucky in Sonic's physics.

Putting aside why he's jumping at a mostly flat slope, that is a curious bug. The cause is probably some error in scripting caused by a flag in automation being accidentally triggered. Gotta wonder why'd even have that kind of scripting in the first place, even running up the wall at normal speed should be able to clear something so small.

Its just a simple physics glitch from cancelling a stomp from the slope and possibly holding the button for an accidental slide. He does it before the glitch happens and nothing happened before. Doesn't seem like it's easy to do over and over again and just the games coding getting confused.

We have rolling confirmed for the 2D stages. The 2D stages seem to basically play like Classic Sonic in Generations and Forces but with the addition of boosting and Homing Attack for enemies.

Also a neat attention to detail as well as the boost button not being "hold to move" anymore

Watching this footage is giving me IGN sonic mania loop ptsd, but besides that the level looks fun. Interesting how even the brand new zones seem to still be willing to reuse level design.

I was meh about reusing level design but seeing sa2 design has me hoping for non-boost games. Heroes, 06, SA1 all being on the table could be interesting to see. Please reuse some lost world level design alongside sonic's more refined parkour system he has in the open world. Do these levels justice, sega.

Someone brought up the idea of cyberspace levels being a concept for showing sonic's past and how he's moving toward a new action-oriented gameplay. With this in mind, the level design recreation isn't as horrible I guess, since it's supposed to invoke the feeling of what sonic was and how he's moving beyond it. Still hate that they're relying on nostalgia yet again in order to show how Sonic is "evolving", but whatever I guess. Sonic Team will be Sonic Team.

1 minute ago, PSI Wind said:

Its just a simple physics glitch from cancelling a stomp from the slope and possibly holding the button for an accidental slide. He does it before the glitch happens and nothing happened before. Doesn't seem like it's easy to do over and over again and just the games coding getting confused.

We have rolling confirmed for the 2D stages. The 2D stages seem to basically play like Classic Sonic in Generations and Forces but with the addition of boosting and Homing Attack for enemies.

Also a neat attention to detail as well as the boost button not being "hold to move" anymore

2D modern sonic playing like classic with the roll (possible momentum physics, finally?) sounds interesting. Would be a nice way to bridge classic and modern together so they can stop bringing classic back every other game.

So if Sonic can roll in the 2D sections, can drop dash in 3D, and the left trigger has no function, then uh

why doesn't left trigger let you roll

No really, what? It's like right there, Sega. It's right there. It's right There, man.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I'm completely convinced now that the devs just find the Spin Dash superfluous now. They've got a conventional rolling system, proper rolling physics, and the Drop Dash in the game without issue, but they just didn't wanna bother with the Spin Dash of all things.