Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

PSA: This thread should be for unconfirmed rumours/"leaks"/speculation that does not come from newsworthy events (i.e. new trailers, merchandise etc). If something newsworthy happens, please make a new topic about the event and keep your reactions/conversations in that separate topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

At this point we're about 3 months from launch, give or take a couple weeks, so we're definitely due a release date.

If they're doing any pre-order incentives or a collector's edition those will likely be announced at the show or alongside it on the socials.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, PickleBrows said:

At this point we're about 3 months from launch, give or take a couple weeks, so we're definitely due a release date.

If they're doing any pre-order incentives or a collector's edition those will likely be announced at the show or alongside it on the socials.

ohboyicantwaitforthenextpreorderchart

spacer.png

You know it's coming. First was Colours Ultimate with its Digital Deluxe "early release date", "bonus music tracks" for Planet Wisp and "exclusive skins and character icons".  And then there was the Origins disaster. Frontiers is the first AAA or big Sonic game since SEGA started doing this, so you know its gonna be bad. 

• My Emmerdoods 1
  • Absolutely 3
  • Unamused 2

The Digital Deluxe edition will probably have the movie Sonic skin/electric effect 🥴

• Thumbs Up 2

I love seeing that chart and knowing that all it amounted to was people losing their shit over incredibly minor skins and music.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's kind of missing the point. "Minor skins and music" shouldn't be an extra paywall to an already-overpriced game, especially not when the game was clearly not built with having those things stripped out of it in mind.

1 hour ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

That's kind of missing the point. "Minor skins and music" shouldn't be an extra paywall to an already-overpriced game, especially not when the game was clearly not built with having those things stripped out of it in mind.

People were absolutely acting like it was more than slightly overpriced DLC, along with people plain misreading the chart (beyond the fact that it is not a well-made chart at all) and coming up with the idea that there are entire editions that don't come with the game. 

Origins being overpriced is something I agree with and why I don't really give a damn about the DLC at all. If I had the choice between a $20 collection with $5 DLC and a $45 collection with the "DLC" being "part of the game", I'd choose the former.

I'm also not sure what the game not being built with those things stripped out means, considering the music isn't even something that can play in regular gameplay, first of all.

It seems less "stripped from the game" and more "slapdashedly added after the fact." Considering things like how the animations are ripped from Generations, it seems like these additions were added on Sonic Team's side of development, and with problems like mislabeled music, probably at the last second and rushed like the whole product is.

DLC being announced beforehand doesn't mean it is an active part of development. But I digress.

i didn't quite notice that it is already the 23rd;

I think Gamescom is in the UK so it should be in just a few hours or so that the new trailer appears? :) :)    edit: yes ok!!  it's beginning in a few hours

6 hours ago, NoKaine said:

People were absolutely acting like it was more than slightly overpriced DLC, along with people plain misreading the chart (beyond the fact that it is not a well-made chart at all) and coming up with the idea that there are entire editions that don't come with the game. 

Origins being overpriced is something I agree with and why I don't really give a damn about the DLC at all. If I had the choice between a $20 collection with $5 DLC and a $45 collection with the "DLC" being "part of the game", I'd choose the former.

I'm also not sure what the game not being built with those things stripped out means, considering the music isn't even something that can play in regular gameplay, first of all.

It seems less "stripped from the game" and more "slapdashedly added after the fact." Considering things like how the animations are ripped from Generations, it seems like these additions were added on Sonic Team's side of development, and with problems like mislabeled music, probably at the last second and rushed like the whole product is.

DLC being announced beforehand doesn't mean it is an active part of development. But I digress.

I can't believe we're justifying these "Editions" and pre-order bonuses and whatever other bollocks.

This is a blight to this industry. Nobody, and I mean nobody should be pulling this shit with their game before its launched. Maybe have a collectors edition if the game was critically acclaimed and sold 10 million copies.

On 7/3/2022 at 12:30 AM, The Deleter said:

Reading the Game Informer cover story in full and I definitely think there are two AI in the game. The voice at the start of the game is surprised you managed to "do the impossible" with escaping from cyber space, and tells Sonic to destroy the titans and collect the chaos emeralds. Considering Eggman's AI is already confirmed to be SAGE, and only wants Sonic to leave the island and not attack the Titan, it seems like their interests are at odds with each other.

Spoiler

vs

classic-sonic-dancing-sonic-the-hedgehog.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

And there it is. Wish I didn’t have to prep myself in advance for this, but yeah,  the game is shaping up to be…yeah pretty average/ok imo

37 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

Green Hill Act 1 is just Windmill Isle Act 1 reskinned

Can’t even call that nostalgia baiting really I just straight up think they ripped off WH Act 1 and just hoped no one would notice 

Just now, Soniman said:

Can’t even call that nostalgia really I just straight up think they ripped off WH Act 1 and just hoped no one would notice 

I can't help but wonder if it's Kishimoto being cheeky, because based off of other footage and impressions, that is the only cyber level at the expo that does that. All other levels have different layouts.

Just now, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I can't help but wonder if it's Kishimoto being cheeky, because based off of other footage and impressions, that is the only cyber level at the expo that does that. All other levels have different layouts.

There's a brief portion in the 2D Green Hill level that's a modified version of a section from Modern Green Hill from Gens, seemingly suggesting that won't be the only instance of this. Seeing as a good chunk of what we've seen thus far has been original, I don't think it'll be as bad as what could be believed. But that said, cause for concern (and past precedent) is there.

It literally looks no more engaging than Forces. Where's the interesting?

I don't get it. I just don't get it.

3 hours ago, Spooky Mulder said:

Green Hill Act 1 is just Windmill Isle Act 1 reskinned

How can they make Cyberspace levels a big part of the game and just put so little effort into it, to the point where they literally steal their own level designs.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm still struggling to accept that after a quarter of a century that this is all 3D Sonic platforming is.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I guess you'd have to play it to get it like the people giving those positive impressions have.

2 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

How can they make Cyberspace levels a big part of the game and just put so little effort into it, to the point where they literally steal their own level designs.

I don’t think the cyberspace levels are “a big part of the game”. I think they’re more like special stages in the classics, and part of the gameplay loop.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Starnik said:

I don’t think the cyberspace levels are “a big part of the game”. I think they’re more like special stages in the classics, and part of the gameplay loop.

Exactly this. 

I think the focus is Open Zone with Cyberspace breaking this up. It’s actually kinda interesting to me that Boost level inspired “ripoff” areas are essentially being treated as “special stages”. It’s a fun call back that could be played into the game narratively quite smartly.

I said elsewhere that Cyberspace seems more like a glorified Eggman’s Sonic Simulator from Sonic Colours (with level design retooling and all). And that’s perfectly fine in all honesty with me.

Honour the past and push forward with the new, will be interesting to see if it pans outs overall 

• Thumbs Up 3

Premise: I don't like the level design that has been shown so far, it's still a straight line with little interaction. There's a bit of fun looking top route/lower route structure at the beginning of that Sky Sanctuary act, but most of the stage is still mobile endless runner level of straight line and lane switching (rail sections). Even with the two routes crossing together, there's still very little substance in them from what's seen in the video.

Besides, I think that the remade level design from past games will be an exclusive of the Green Hill levels. What we have seen of Sky Sanctuary and the highway level doesn't seem to be based off any existing level from the past.

• Thumbs Up 2